Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2011, 09:12 AM   #16
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDR View Post
I have to say that either of my sidecar rigs draw attention whenever I stop. Last Friday the local hot rod guys got together in Minturn for a little cruising and they invited me along. I was hoping to get some good pictures of the cars but I couldn't get away from the Ural long enough to get any pictures of the cars.

The guy in the drivers seat came up to me and asked if he and his brother could sit on the rig for a picture.

The bike crew getting ready to lead the pack:

I stopped for gas at Copper Mountain on my way home from Denver on Sunday with the GS rig and after I walked out of the building there were 5 mountain bikers hanging around the rig and it took me another 20 minutes to get on the road.

i can't wait to have some of these moments
yes, i know that i'll regret saying that one day, i'm sure
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:14 AM   #17
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Lang View Post
I have to say, that the sidecar delay factor is as great as when I drive my model T.

I love it, as I'm generally an introvert, and antisocial.

With the Chang, I get "what year is it?", to which I reply, "well, its registered as a '72..." At that point, just like the Ural fellers, I'm interrupted and told that there's no way it could be that new. I also get occasionally really interesting reactions when I say it was made in China. Most people, like me, are fascinated by how Chinese it really is when you look close, the dodgy looking welds etc! Sometimes though, when people find out its from China, they are visibly upset, and walk away in disgust, muttering how its "fake". I think is really funny when this happens.

I always get asked how fast it goes, and people are always surprised by how slow it is. I mean, the Chang doesn't really look like a high speed machine to me!

I really enjoy taking to the people, and hope to someday meet some other local sidecar pilots!

I do like how the sport bike riders wave to me now, and so do the dual sport riders. Previously I've had cruisers, and only other cruiser riders will wave.
that is funny about those "fake" comments
you ride a very cool rig... nice to share it with the world
there are so few in the west
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
Old 06-15-2011, 10:15 AM   #18
KCDakar
What are we waiting for?

Oddometer: 3,383
I once stopped at a gas station as I was past out of gas. As I am filling up, a car drove by on the street, stopped, backed up almost hitting a car then pulling up beside me. A woman around 35 years old got out VERY excited wanting a ride. I figured I could take her around the block.

At that point a truck pulled up to the other side of the pump and the man driving got out and started to fill up. He did not look like a happy camper but the woman in the truck was asking me about the bike looking very happy to see such a rig.

I took off and we went around the block. Totally made that lady's day! I bet she still talks about it! When I got back Mr. Frown and Mrs. Happy where still there. Mrs. Happy jumped out and said she was next! LOL!!! I wish I had a picture of Mr. Frowns face right then! She got in as Mr Frown was telling her all about how she was going to die in that contraption. Her coment back to him was at least she would die with a smile on her face! My kinda woman!

I took her for a few more blocks as I thought she might have needed it more for when she got back to Mr. Frown. When we did get back he started to say something and she just told him to shut up.

I smiled all the way home.

Priceless...

I tell it what it wants to hear, and it does what I want it to do. I made that Motronic my bitch. Poolside

Save $5 on Smugmug by entering coupon code: GJBcMk1uLoZm6
KCDakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #19
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCDakar View Post
I once stopped at a gas station as I was past out of gas. As I am filling up, a car drove by on the street, stopped, backed up almost hitting a car then pulling up beside me. A woman around 35 years old got out VERY excited wanting a ride. I figured I could take her around the block.

At that point a truck pulled up to the other side of the pump and the man driving got out and started to fill up. He did not look like a happy camper but the woman in the truck was asking me about the bike looking very happy to see such a rig.

I took off and we went around the block. Totally made that lady's day! I bet she still talks about it! When I got back Mr. Frown and Mrs. Happy where still there. Mrs. Happy jumped out and said she was next! LOL!!! I wish I had a picture of Mr. Frowns face right then! She got in as Mr Frown was telling her all about how she was going to die in that contraption. Her coment back to him was at least she would die with a smile on her face! My kinda woman!

I took her for a few more blocks as I thought she might have needed it more for when she got back to Mr. Frown. When we did get back he started to say something and she just told him to shut up.

I smiled all the way home.

Priceless...
that story ought to be made into a movie
that is incredible
i appreciate you telling us about it
FANTASTIC
Old 06-15-2011, 03:09 PM   #20
KCDakar
What are we waiting for?

Oddometer: 3,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW View Post
that story ought to be made into a movie
that is incredible
i appreciate you telling us about it
FANTASTIC
I am a firm believer (at least for me) that a sidecar is a magnet. That and I love recruiting future riders/drivers. What better way to do that than to give them a spin around the block!

I miss being able to ride/drive. I dream of the day I can get back on...
Until then, I will be living vicariously through ADV Hack threads.

Keep on Hackin on!

I tell it what it wants to hear, and it does what I want it to do. I made that Motronic my bitch. Poolside

Save $5 on Smugmug by entering coupon code: GJBcMk1uLoZm6
KCDakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:34 PM   #21
Sanders
Stogiesuckingsinglemalter

Oddometer: 661
We did a fly and ride with our rig from California to Minnesota.
We had Japanese tourists in Death Valley ask or convey that they wanted to take our pictures at least a half dozen times. It was really cool, as I am not photogenic with my Shrek like good looks.
More than once my wife and I were leaving a restaurant/gas station/or whatever and decided to wait out the people checking out our ride as we just did not have a half hour to talk...

Last edited by Temporal Security Agency: 8-25-2026 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Deleted unlawful reference to future history
Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #22
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCDakar View Post
I am a firm believer (at least for me) that a sidecar is a magnet. That and I love recruiting future riders/drivers. What better way to do that than to give them a spin around the block!

I miss being able to ride/drive. I dream of the day I can get back on...
Until then, I will be living vicariously through ADV Hack threads.

Keep on Hackin on!
i hope that you will re-live your dream soon. i really do
i agree about "recruiting" future hack owners.
i'll try to do what i can beginning this coming weekend
thanks for your thoughts
Old 06-15-2011, 04:00 PM   #23
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
We did a fly and ride with our rig from California to Minnesota.
We had Japanese tourists in Death Valley ask or convey that they wanted to take our pictures at least a half dozen times. It was really cool, as I am not photogenic with my Shrek like good looks.
More than once my wife and I were leaving a restaurant/gas station/or whatever and decided to wait out the people checking out our ride as we just did not have a half hour to talk...
i enjoyed BOTH parts of your post
maybe i'm NOT ready to spend that extra half hour with each stop
Old 06-15-2011, 04:01 PM   #24
msblu79
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
I waited about a month for mine after I ordered it. It seemed like a year though, I couldn't wait to go riding on it. Went up to ADK Ural and payed for it and took some pics of it in the crate still. John the owner, is standing behind the crate. They delivered it Oct. 3rd, 2010AU (after ural) and the story began. Been having a ball and I'm sure you will enjoy your new rig as well. Hopefully it gets to you in one peice and ready to go. I have my fingers crossed for ya.
Attached Images

msblu79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:07 PM   #25
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by msblu79 View Post
I waited about a month for mine after I ordered it. It seemed like a year though, I couldn't wait to go riding on it. Went up to ADK Ural and payed for it and took some pics of it in the crate still. John the owner, is standing behind the crate. They delivered it Oct. 3rd, 2010AU (after ural) and the story began. Been having a ball and I'm sure you will enjoy your new rig as well. Hopefully it gets to you in one peice and ready to go. I have my fingers crossed for ya.
thank you for your thoughts
that is very kind of you
Old 06-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #26
smith8833
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
kids

We were invited on a ride this weekend to a kids with cancer camp, aprox. 30 bikes showed. All of the kids would wander through and stop at our Harley sidecar, it really broke the ice for most of them! All of the kids went for a ride with me. Two little sisters keep coming back then went and got a friend and returned again. Some were bashful until they were told that their adult (college age) companion could go along.
Watching their faces light up and those girls giggle nonstop....priceless
smith8833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:14 PM   #27
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith8833 View Post
We were invited on a ride this weekend to a kids with cancer camp, aprox. 30 bikes showed. All of the kids would wander through and stop at our Harley sidecar, it really broke the ice for most of them! All of the kids went for a ride with me. Two little sisters keep coming back then went and got a friend and returned again. Some were bashful until they were told that their adult (college age) companion could go along.
Watching their faces light up and those girls giggle nonstop....priceless
sounds perfect to me
as a pediatrician, that story really makes me smile
thank you for taking the time to relate it to us here
Old 06-15-2011, 04:37 PM   #28
Sidecardoug
Pleasantly pleasing

Oddometer: 1,795
You will find that some people are interested, but don't know anything. They don't know that they don't know anything. Then there are those who don't know anything, but think they know something. The latter are the ones that will argue with me about *my* bike, as if I don't know what I have...

One guy asked me what year the Ural was. I said, "it's an 03." He said, "I didn't even know they made bikes in 1903."
Old 06-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #29
firebrick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
I was in northern florida coming back from Daytona bike week and was fueling up next to a some guy and his beautiful chromed out CVO softail. Bike had to cost $40 grand or more. Some old dude about knocked the harley over running to see my gear up. Poor harley rider just filled up and left as I talked bikes with the old dude. Btw I like harleys but it was funny.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:02 PM   #30
GlenInk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Thumb Cool thread !

I`m enjoying these stories !

Keep them coming please!