Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2011, 06:25 PM   #31
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrick View Post
I was in northern florida coming back from Daytona bike week and was fueling up next to a some guy and his beautiful chromed out CVO softail. Bike had to cost $40 grand or more. Some old dude about knocked the harley over running to see my gear up. Poor harley rider just filled up and left as I talked bikes with the old dude. Btw I like harleys but it was funny.
that's another great story
thanks for telling us about it here
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:21 AM   #32
THREE LEGGED DOG

Oddometer: n/a
As i was out for a ride in my area, i saw a street that i had never been down,i thought i'll check it out. I am slowly riding down a tree lined street. As i come to one house i see two old ladies racking leaves. One of the litte ladies stops racking and watches me ride by. The street dead ends,i make my way back toward the house of the two little ladies. The lady that had eyed me earlier throws her rack down and starts toward the street as to stop my path. " what the hell have i done...the bike is quiet wanders thru my mind". She is in the street blocking the road. I slow,then stop. She walks toward the sidecar and yells "gimmie a ride in that thing" so away we go me and this 80 year women . I gave her a little ride,back to her house out she jumps with a thanks....back to racking the leaves another ural moment in time.....maybe it was on her bucket list
Old 06-16-2011, 09:51 AM   #33
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by THREE LEGGED DOG View Post
As i was out for a ride in my area, i saw a street that i had never been down,i thought i'll check it out. I am slowly riding down a tree lined street. As i come to one house i see two old ladies racking leaves. One of the litte ladies stops racking and watches me ride by. The street dead ends,i make my way back toward the house of the two little ladies. The lady that had eyed me earlier throws her rack down and starts toward the street as to stop my path. " what the hell have i done...the bike is quiet wanders thru my mind". She is in the street blocking the road. I slow,then stop. She walks toward the sidecar and yells "gimmie a ride in that thing" so away we go me and this 80 year women . I gave her a little ride,back to her house out she jumps with a thanks....back to racking the leaves another ural moment in time.....maybe it was on her bucket list
yeah...
her bucket list
that makes perfect sense... i bet she's STILL telling that story
well done
thanks for sharing it with us
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
Old 06-16-2011, 10:21 AM   #34
AeroEngineer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
My favorite story is from the guy who told me my rig was responsible for sending him to Vietnam. I was confused and asked him to elaborate -

He said he was stationed in Germany in the late 60's and after a drinking all night, him and a friend ended up stealing a german police hack and quickly ended up crashing it through a storefront. Long story short, his CO gave him two options, the better of which was volunteering for Vietnam.

Another time, I came out of Lowes to see an old man who couldn't speak english crying next to my bike. His friend was with him and translated in broken english that he was in the Russian army a long time ago and was a sidecar gunner. After leaving Russia, he never thought he would see one of those bikes again and it completely took him by surprise.
2006 DR650 (???)
AeroEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:53 AM   #35
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroEngineer View Post
My favorite story is from the guy who told me my rig was responsible for sending him to Vietnam. I was confused and asked him to elaborate -

He said he was stationed in Germany in the late 60's and after a drinking all night, him and a friend ended up stealing a german police hack and quickly ended up crashing it through a storefront. Long story short, his CO gave him two options, the better of which was volunteering for Vietnam.

Another time, I came out of Lowes to see an old man who couldn't speak english crying next to my bike. His friend was with him and translated in broken english that he was in the Russian army a long time ago and was a sidecar gunner. After leaving Russia, he never thought he would see one of those bikes again and it completely took him by surprise.
1 funny and 1 touching story
thanks for sharing them with us
i appreciate it
Old 06-16-2011, 12:33 PM   #36
chiba
elitist BMW snob

Oddometer: 1,175
I tell people the most difficult thing about driving a rig is getting out of the parking lot.

It's even more difficult when I'm out with my daughter; she's 9. Her bright smile, pink helmet & great attitude attract attention just about everywhere we go on 2 wheels - on 3 it's even more so! When people ask her if she likes riding, she pipes up with "sidecars are WAY more fun than regular cars!" She likes to bring a book along with her (as does my wife) & I've lost count of cars that go past us, then slow down so people can take a picture of the gal in the sidecar reading a book.

A few weeks ago I got into a conversation with another rider at a gas station in Haymarket, VA. He was on a regular bike - might have been a Harley, but it was definitely a cruiser of some type. He asked the normal questions - is it hard, is it weird, what kind of mileage, how much stuff can you carry - and then said "with that bike, I bet putting the sidecar on it really affected your speed."

"Not as much as you'd think," I told him. He came back with "no way you can go over 80 with that." Sounded enough like a dare to me that I told him to grab his helmet & GPS off his bike & climb in Let's just say he's satisfied now that my rig can indeed do at least 80!

The look on his face when we got back to the gas station was priceless.

--chiba

Iron Butt Magazine - not just for LDR!

- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -

chiba screwed with this post 06-16-2011 at 12:46 PM
chiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:49 PM   #37
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiba View Post
I tell people the most difficult thing about driving a rig is getting out of the parking lot.

It's even more difficult when I'm out with my daughter; she's 9. Her bright smile, pink helmet & great attitude attract attention just about everywhere we go on 2 wheels - on 3 it's even more so! When people ask her if she likes riding, she pipes up with "sidecars are WAY more fun than regular cars!" She likes to bring a book along with her (as does my wife) & I've lost count of cars that go past us, then slow down so people can take a picture of the gal in the sidecar reading a book.

A few weeks ago I got into a conversation with another rider at a gas station in Haymarket, VA. He was on a regular bike - might have been a Harley, but it was definitely a cruiser of some type. He asked the normal questions - is it hard, is it weird, what kind of mileage, how much stuff can you carry - and then said "with that bike, I bet putting the sidecar on it really affected your speed."

"Not as much as you'd think," I told him. He came back with "no way you can go over 80 with that." Sounded enough like a dare to me that I told him to grab his helmet & GPS off his bike & climb in Let's just say he's satisfied now that my rig can indeed do at least 80!

The look on his face when we got back to the gas station was priceless.

--chiba
chiba...
love this post of yours
my daughter is 17... still not sure if she'll ride with me
i suppose she will when she sees how many others are interested
2 pm tomorrow = friday, the 17th, is SUPPOSED to the TIME OF ARRIVAL
i can't wait
Old 06-16-2011, 01:33 PM   #38
KCDakar
What are we waiting for?

Oddometer: 3,386
It's wonderful to see how we, as Hackers, can make such an affect on a persons life. For the most part all positive.

I would like to think that this works like a small wave after throwing a stone in a pool of water. The wave just keeps moving on. The effect of their/our involvement, how ever small, keeps making a positive change in their/our lives.

Speed Safe, because no one else will...

I tell it what it wants to hear, and it does what I want it to do. I made that Motronic my bitch. Poolside

Save $5 on Smugmug by entering coupon code: GJBcMk1uLoZm6
KCDakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:02 PM   #39
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCDakar View Post
It's wonderful to see how we, as Hackers, can make such an affect on a persons life. For the most part all positive.

I would like to think that this works like a small wave after throwing a stone in a pool of water. The wave just keeps moving on. The effect of their/our involvement, how ever small, keeps making a positive change in their/our lives.

Speed Safe, because no one else will...

very well put
thank you for posting that
Old 06-16-2011, 02:17 PM   #40
J-Dub
Combat Commuter

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCDakar View Post
I've only had my Gear-Up for a week, and I have to say that the "angry" UDF was my first experience, with the bike still on the trailer. I stopped for gas and was approached by a guy checking out the bike. When he asked my what year it was, I replied that it was brand new, a 2010. He looked at me like I was being an asshole, and walked away muttering, "Whatever, Guy!"...
J-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #41
AeroEngineer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW View Post
chiba...
love this post of yours
my daughter is 17... still not sure if she'll ride with me
i suppose she will when she sees how many others are interested
2 pm tomorrow = friday, the 17th, is SUPPOSED to the TIME OF ARRIVAL
i can't wait
Nice! The heat has finally broken too!

Gonna have a fun weekend.
2006 DR650 (???)
Old 06-16-2011, 02:35 PM   #42
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner

Quote:
Nice! The heat has finally broken too!

Gonna have a fun weekend.
thank you very much
but, the heat has broken?
Old 06-16-2011, 02:38 PM   #43
AeroEngineer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW View Post
thank you very much
but, the heat has broken?
Compared to yesterday today feels like the first day of spring.

I left for work yesterday morning and it was already 90 out!
2006 DR650 (???)
Old 06-16-2011, 02:48 PM   #44
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner

Quote:
Compared to yesterday today feels like the first day of spring.

I left for work yesterday morning and it was already 90 out!
i left for the newborn nursery at 0430... and it was 83... horrible
right now
at 5:47 pm
87 degrees
97 heat index
68% humidity
at my house
Old 06-16-2011, 03:34 PM   #45
Sidecar Sarge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Back when my rig was new (2004), I stopped at the grocery store on the way home from shopping/errands. I parked next to a SUV. While I was still on the bike, a VERY attractive blond soccer mom approached the SUV and loaded it. She then just turned to me and asked for a ride! I was so flustered at being caught off guard like that, all I could do was laugh. I told her that, unfortunately, the sidecar was packed - and I mean packed - with stuff. Then she dropped the bomb, "I have tequila!" Now that REALLY got me flustered! At that point she climbed into her SUV and drove off.

Missed opportunity? Or, with my luck, we'd run into her uber-jealous husband. I'll never know.

Sarge