Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2011, 01:37 PM   #61
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
and a google map link to that fine establishment
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=802+No...000&hl=en&z=18
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:51 AM   #62
slovenian6474
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
My best story so far was when I was on my way to work on the Ural. I was stopped at a light waiting for traffic to clear up before turning right. The last car happened to be the county sheriff. I pulled out, did the right turn and was speeding up. I saw the sheriff pull into a left turn only lane and I passed him. After that he pulled in right behind me and was following me for awhile. Now I didn't think I did anything illegal and was almost to work. I'd rather not have to deal with the drama of getting pulled over at work so before he would put on the lights, I turned into a gas station. He followed and pulled up next to me and asked what the hell I was riding! He proceed to ask a bunch of questions about the bike. It's probably the closest thing to actually getting pulled over in a Ural.
1995 Suzuki Katana 600 SOLD
1978 Yamaha XS750 Triple RETIRED
slovenian6474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:25 AM   #63
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovenian6474 View Post
My best story so far was when I was on my way to work on the Ural. I was stopped at a light waiting for traffic to clear up before turning right. The last car happened to be the county sheriff. I pulled out, did the right turn and was speeding up. I saw the sheriff pull into a left turn only lane and I passed him. After that he pulled in right behind me and was following me for awhile. Now I didn't think I did anything illegal and was almost to work. I'd rather not have to deal with the drama of getting pulled over at work so before he would put on the lights, I turned into a gas station. He followed and pulled up next to me and asked what the hell I was riding! He proceed to ask a bunch of questions about the bike. It's probably the closest thing to actually getting pulled over in a Ural.
that is a great story
thanks for adding it here
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
Old 08-16-2011, 11:36 AM   #64
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 922
Years ago, my wife and I were heading across Montana with a sidecar that did not have a top on it, We rode through 7 thunderstorms and were quite drenced. At a rest stop, a man came up to us with his daughter who must have been about 3 years old. She was in tears and had been so for a while, she knew that my wife was going to drown. My wife told her that it was just like her bath tub and that she had pulled the drain plus so she was going to be just fine.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:53 PM   #65
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,763
So.....

I had a couple come up to me today at the local Cycle Gear store. Mid 40's guy with mid 20's trophy wife, riding a Goldwing. She's drooling over the Ural, he's asking questions like he knows what he's talking about, and generally being a dick. I'll call him, Dick.

Dick: What is THAT thing?

Pretty wife: I don't know but I WANT one!

Me: It's a Ural, a Russian motorcycle.

Dick: I bet that thing weighs a ton! Can't go fast can you?

Me: Well, it weighs less than a Goldwing, but going fast isn't what this thing is about. A Ural makes you enjoy the ride.

Pretty wife: (Still drooling) I LOVE THIS BIKE! This is what I want!

Dick: Looks flimsy.

Me: Nope, made of steel. Not a lot of plastic on it at all.

Dick: Bet you can't go far on that seat.

Me: (Getting aggravated). Well, my wife drove it over 1000 miles home when she picked it up this Summer. Hell, two of my bikes don't even have rear suspension, so I find it quite comfortable. I guess it all comes down to what you're tough enough to handle.

Pretty wife: (Grins, she got the joke) Can I sit in the sidecar?

Dick: (Blank stare, he thinks I just made fun of him, but isn't sure.)

Me: (Going for the kill) Well, you've got a helmet. I'll take you for a spin if you want.

Pretty wife: That would be AWESOME! My name is Abby. (Shakes my hand)

Dick: I don't think we have time....

Abby (formerly known as Pretty Wife): Oh hush, we'll be back in a minute. Go ahead and start trying on jackets.

Me: Be back in a few! (VROOOOOOMMMM!!!!!)

She loved every bit of the short ride, and when we got back, she helped me pick out gloves for my wife. Funny thing, I never heard a peep out of him again, but the guys at the store were laughing their asses off.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:05 PM   #66
AeroEngineer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
I had a couple come up to me today at the local Cycle Gear store. Mid 40's guy with mid 20's trophy wife, riding a Goldwing. She's drooling over the Ural, he's asking questions like he knows what he's talking about, and generally being a dick. I'll call him, Dick.

Dick: What is THAT thing?

Pretty wife: I don't know but I WANT one!

Me: It's a Ural, a Russian motorcycle.

Dick: I bet that thing weighs a ton! Can't go fast can you?

Me: Well, it weighs less than a Goldwing, but going fast isn't what this thing is about. A Ural makes you enjoy the ride.

Pretty wife: (Still drooling) I LOVE THIS BIKE! This is what I want!

Dick: Looks flimsy.

Me: Nope, made of steel. Not a lot of plastic on it at all.

Dick: Bet you can't go far on that seat.

Me: (Getting aggravated). Well, my wife drove it over 1000 miles home when she picked it up this Summer. Hell, two of my bikes don't even have rear suspension, so I find it quite comfortable. I guess it all comes down to what you're tough enough to handle.

Pretty wife: (Grins, she got the joke) Can I sit in the sidecar?

Dick: (Blank stare, he thinks I just made fun of him, but isn't sure.)

Me: (Going for the kill) Well, you've got a helmet. I'll take you for a spin if you want.

Pretty wife: That would be AWESOME! My name is Abby. (Shakes my hand)

Dick: I don't think we have time....

Abby (formerly known as Pretty Wife): Oh hush, we'll be back in a minute. Go ahead and start trying on jackets.

Me: Be back in a few! (VROOOOOOMMMM!!!!!)

She loved every bit of the short ride, and when we got back, she helped me pick out gloves for my wife. Funny thing, I never heard a peep out of him again, but the guys at the store were laughing their asses off.
If you're single guy, I can imagine having a sidecar would be like shooting fish in a barrel...

Even easier if you bring a dog.

Of course I waited until after I was married to buy mine.
2006 DR650 (???)
AeroEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:35 PM   #67
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner

great story above... about "Dick."
happy that this thread has been resurrected
Old 11-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #68
ChuckS
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 638
I've had 2 really moving UDF experiences. Both were with my first Ural, a green Patrol.

First-
I was in a parking lot gearing up when an old timer came up to me with tears in his eyes. The last time he saw a Ural was 1956. He was a Hungarian partisan. A Ural carried him and 11 others away from the Soviet army, saving their lives.

Second-
A friend of mine asked me to give his father a ride. His father had a stroke some years before and lost the ability to communicate. His mind was fine, but he could only communicate with very simple gestures. He was a Luftwaffe mechanic in WWII and used a BMW sidecar. After the war, he toured Europe by bike before emigrating to Canada and finally the USA.

It was very cool to give him a ride and to watch his eyes light up. It was also cool giving his wife (also very German) a ride. She didn't want to go, she wanted to turn around and go home. At least that what she said when she didn't have a big, silly smile on her face.

1993 K1100LT w/Ural hack
DL650 K4
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:01 PM   #69
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,763
If only I had thought of a sidecar as a single guy. Misses Donkeys got quite the kick out of that story though, and she loves the new gloves.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #70
Brain
mr. self destruct

Oddometer: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I've had 2 really moving UDF experiences. Both were with my first Ural, a green Patrol.

First-
I was in a parking lot gearing up when an old timer came up to me with tears in his eyes. The last time he saw a Ural was 1956. He was a Hungarian partisan. A Ural carried him and 11 others away from the Soviet army, saving their lives.

Second-
A friend of mine asked me to give his father a ride. His father had a stroke some years before and lost the ability to communicate. His mind was fine, but he could only communicate with very simple gestures. He was a Luftwaffe mechanic in WWII and used a BMW sidecar. After the war, he toured Europe by bike before emigrating to Canada and finally the USA.

It was very cool to give him a ride and to watch his eyes light up. It was also cool giving his wife (also very German) a ride. She didn't want to go, she wanted to turn around and go home. At least that what she said when she didn't have a big, silly smile on her face.
Awesome story.

On a trip through Utah we had a gentleman from Hungry stop to tell us how as kids they fixed up a rig left behind by the Germans.

Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:41 AM   #71
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post

First-

Second-

i... GREATLY appreciate you relating these stories to us
very emotional stuff... exactly why we are all passionate about our rigs
thank you
Old 11-10-2011, 04:27 AM   #72
KneeDrachen
MORE COWBELL!!!

Oddometer: 1,088
Dick isn't from APG is he? Oh wait, my guy doesn't actually ride. . .

I think my funniest story is when loading up at the supermarket a few weeks ago, an older gentleman (mid 80's?) came up to me with his wife and rapped his knuckles on the sidecar and then my tank.

Him: "Real metal, eh?"

Me: "Yup."

Him: "Yeah, none of this plastic tupperware shit these kids ride today."

Me: "And not only that, it's comfortable."

Him: "Yeah you don't want to go around looking like a monkey f$^%ing a football, you know"

Me: "Do either of you want to go for a ride?"

Him: "Nah, senior discount is going to end at (whatever the restaraunt was)"

Me: "Be well."

We parted ways after that and I haven't seen him since.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:40 AM   #73
planzman
commie bike rider

Oddometer: 663
So i pulled into the deer processor

Well a couple of weeks ago i loaded the two deer we shot and hauled them over to the local DP. Yesterday they called and begged me to come get one of my deer, it was ready and they needed the room. So on the way back from the deer club reloading the feeders, i stopped in with the rig to pick up the deer.

45 minutes later......

After ever other hunter who came in to get their deer had to look at the bike and shake their head in disbelief when the DP crew told them that i had infact hauled two deer in on the side car.

To many questions to list them all, just fun UDF.

Cant get that on a DR 650
planzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #74
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by planzman View Post
Leave it to the Nav...

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:06 PM   #75
matman1972
Lost in the woods.

Oddometer: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by planzman View Post
Well a couple of weeks ago i loaded the two deer we shot and hauled them over to the local DP. Yesterday they called and begged me to come get one of my deer, it was ready and they needed the room. So on the way back from the deer club reloading the feeders, i stopped in with the rig to pick up the deer.

45 minutes later......

After ever other hunter who came in to get their deer had to look at the bike and shake their head in disbelief when the DP crew told them that i had infact hauled two deer in on the side car.

To many questions to list them all, just fun UDF.

Bear has been hitting the bait I left 6 ft off the ground. Should be a good one. Think he'll fit on the rear rack? Had one hog on there so far, and he was a little one (110 lbs) I need to make a heavier rear rack for this thing. The stock one bends too easily.
Confusion to our enemies.Zaphod for president!!
matman1972 is offline   Reply With Quote