Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2011, 09:39 PM   #31
SonnyAZ
DesertDweller

Oddometer: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by TebKLR View Post
As others have said.....
  • I jonesed for one for 10 years while watching them improve....
  • Bought a new '10 Gear Up last October; rode it home from Mesa AZ to WI with no issues at all (other than hefty doses of UDF all along the way)
  • It's more fun than a barrel of monkeys!
  • It's slow, but who cares? It'll run 60MPH all day long.
  • Maint intervals are short, but the tasks are extremely simple and straightforward.
  • Given my useage, I maybe should have opted for a 1WD version (LOVE the way the blacked-out Ts look!).
  • Did I mention that it's a ton of fun?
Old 06-16-2011, 10:53 PM   #32
IsAnOzzie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
Ok, so the next question you need to ask
"What kind of Oil is the best to use in my Ural"
you must be thinking of Harley's because Ural's don't use oil!!
Old 06-17-2011, 04:59 AM   #33
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsAnOzzie View Post
you must be thinking of Harley's because Ural's don't use oil!!

When the leaks and drips stop, that means it's time to add more!
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:35 AM   #34
Nuttymopar
Never a Dull Moment

Oddometer: 7
Thumb

I purchased a 2011 Patrol in April. I have about 2500 KM's on it now. You do need to maintain it a lot more then any other bike I have owned. Even at the 500km check, Cylinder head stud was loose and stripped the block. I needed to heli-coil that 1 stud. Quality is not as good as other bikes. Never seems to miss any bumps or pot-holes in the road. Any kind of wind will slow it down imediately. Doesn't like hills more then 6% grade, it will slow down. Haven't been able to hit above 60 very much on the highway.

But, I'm glad I own one. Once you learn how to drive one of these, they are a blast. You just can't hop on it and drive like a normal bike revving through the gears. They love to do 40 - 60 mph without a problem, all day long. It keeps up with traffic without a problem. You'll get the UDF (Ural Delay Factor) a lot from people, which is cool. Vibrates quite a lot but that is just part of the product. Sounds more like a sewing machine then a motorcycle but it does zip along. VERY easy to work on, even in the woods if need be.

As long as you really don't have a lot of highway use, I'd say get one. I am looking forward to driving this next winter. I use this as mostly a main transportation vehicle. Goes great in the rain.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:02 AM   #35
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttymopar View Post
You do need to maintain it a lot more then any other bike I have owned.
True that they require regular maintenance, but once you have it a while you will appreciate the fact that you wont have to take it to the dealer once or twice a year for a $400-$800 service.

Also it will always be "slow", but it will pick up power and speed as you put more km's on it, usually 5k km - 8K km before it reaches its full potential.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:01 AM   #36
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
"I use this as mostly a main transportation vehicle. Goes great in the rain"

Cut the crap and admit it... you just like riding it! If you were serious about something practical you would have bought a 15 year old Toyota pickup with 130,000 miles on it for $2,500!
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:20 PM   #37
dialdn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
I have a silly question. For those who use it to commute, how do you deal with laptop storage in the rain. My panniers do a good job of this on my GS. On a Ural, do you need a waterproof bag. Also, I assume security is a problem? Only the the most recent has a locking trunk, right?

Btw, yes I would love a Ural as an addition to the household :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2011, 08:42 PM   #38
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
A lock for the trunk is figureable. Its mostly watertight. A plastic bag for anything that can't get wet is a good idea.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:58 PM   #39
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by dialdn View Post
I have a silly question. For those who use it to commute, how do you deal with laptop storage in the rain. My panniers do a good job of this on my GS. On a Ural, do you need a waterproof bag. Also, I assume security is a problem? Only the the most recent has a locking trunk, right?

Even in daily use here in rainy Seattle, the trunk stays bone dry. A little water gets in on the rare occasions that I wash it with a hose. Your normal carrying case would be sufficient.
If you wanted some extra insurance, adding some weatherstripping to the lid would be very easy.

There are several simple solutions for a locking trunk. I used a common locking garage door handle sold in all hardware stores.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:06 PM   #40
Spicy McHaggis
Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer: 3,789
Thumb

I LOVED my 2007 GearUp. Drove it all around Alaska and the Yukon Territory - even to the Arctic Circle - without a single problem.

Had to sell it due to financial reasons...but I would buy another one if money permitted me to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapperhead View Post
I am seriously considering the purchase of a new Ural with 2 wheel drive, Gearup or Patrol T. Would any Ural owners please share your thoughts about their bike such as; problems, spare parts, build quality, reliability, and overall ownership experiences. I would also like to hear the positives of Ural ownership.

I sold my BMW 1150 GS last year and I am currently awaiting the delivery of a new Yamaha Super Tenere. The Ural has alway interested me and I can now afford to have 2 bikes in the garage.

Thumbs up or thumbs down how has your Ural been to you?

Thanks - Snapperhead
Old 06-19-2011, 03:54 AM   #41
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
I just bought a 1996 Tourist last week. My wife and I have had a ball with it. I've already put about 700 miles on it with more coming today. UDF is no joke. You cannot come to a stop sign without somebody asking about it or saying what a nice job you did on the restoration.
congrats
i'm happy for the both of you
please post some pictures in this thread as soon as you can
we'd love to see them

ride safely and enjoy every mile
thanks for the thread
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:26 AM   #42
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by dialdn View Post

The trunk stays dry, plus you can put some rubber weatherstripping around the lid edges for extra insurance. An eyebolt installed near the lid handle with a padlock is a quick and effective mod.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:27 PM   #43
leejosepho
Sure, I can do that!

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
Ok, so the next question you need to ask
"What kind of Oil is the best to use in my Ural"
This old geezer taught me a few tricks ...

http://www.garlits.com/z11-sibley.html

... and he says to always use something slippery.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:10 AM   #44
Norms 427
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicy McHaggis View Post
I LOVED my 2007 GearUp. Drove it all around Alaska and the Yukon Territory - even to the Arctic Circle - without a single problem.
Hey, I'll be in Kodiak where u live in a few days w my '11 Patrol (giving Olga a ride on an alaskan ferry). BTW, it doesn't rain in Kodiak, does it? :)

I'm typing this on my Mac computer in Palmer, AK, and my trunk stays totally dry + I don't bother wrapping the 'puter in anything waterproof in the trunk ... and I've been through some rain since I left home in WA state several days ago. (I started a RR on soviet steeds dot com.) I like the locking trunk on my '11 but I've only used it a couple of times since I take valuables into the motel at night and a thief is welcome to the non-valuables if he is that desperate. But he has to first figure out how to open the trunk and by the time he figures that out it's morning.

Norms 427 screwed with this post 06-20-2011 at 08:44 AM
Norms 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:18 AM   #45
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,939
If your idea of riding is sitting on a sofa seat with your feet on the hwy pegs while reclined against the sissy bar moving down the hwy at interstate speeds you won't like the Ural. My biggest gripes have been your days are shorter due to slower speeds so you don't cover the miles you're used to but I easily got used to that with the benefit of enjoying more of the scenery and since you know you ain't going to make big miles that day anyway I find myself taking the time to check out a lot of back roads just to see what's there. The 2nd complaint is the UDF. I've owned mostly older Harleys and early Triumphs so used to having other riders walk up and talk bikes for awhile. On the Ural seems like "everybody" wants to gab. I like people but sparingly.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote