Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2011, 06:52 PM   #16
Moosedude OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
We motored our way to Cadiz, KY to my favorite hot dog restaurant, "Hot Diggity Dog." It's a small place but they serve great hot dogs made with animals and animal by products. First real sweet tea of the tour -- I'm back in the south!
Attached Images

Moosedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:53 PM   #17
Moosedude OP
Adventurer

The only thing Jay-bro hates worse than tall narrow bridges (and we had crossed four of them so far), is city traffic. Welcome to Nashville.
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2011, 06:54 PM   #18
Moosedude OP
Adventurer

I didn't think the traffic was that bad and soon we were through Nashville and on our way to Mufreesboro, TN which was our destination for the first day. We were catching up to some rain and ducked into this cycle store to wait out the rapidly approaching rain. Not a bad place to have to wait for the rain to let up.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2011, 08:46 AM   #19
Moosedude OP
Adventurer

After the rain let up for a bit we rode to Stones River National Battlefield which was our destination for the day. Typical of the battlefields Jay-bro and I toured, this one had a familiar pattern. The northern and southern armies found each other and lined up against each other. The south attacked first causing the north to retreat. The north regrouped and the south attacked again, usually uphill, against overwhelming odds. Most died -- and the south withdrew a little farther south.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2011, 08:48 AM   #20
Moosedude OP
Adventurer

Out of these cedar woods came a whole bunch of rebel soldiers running towards this cannon, and others just like it. Not too many rebel soldiers made it all the way to the cannons. Artillery is an awesome thing.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2011, 08:49 AM   #21
Moosedude OP
Adventurer

This place was a limestone outcropping that was used for a while by federal troops as a natural set of fox holes. Many died there, however and because one could get a foot trapped in the limestone and not be able to retreat it became known as the "slaughter pen."
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2011, 08:51 AM   #22
Moosedude OP
Adventurer

This is the first memorial erected to the Civil War. It was made by the Union troops while the war was still going on.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2011, 08:58 AM   #23
Moosedude OP
Adventurer

Whenever I travel I like to send old fashioned post cards to the family. I think people still enjoy gettng "snail mail" even if they don't admit it. I have a young neice and nephew who really enjoy getting mail with their names on it. So I sent them a post card with this picture on it. Not very scenic and maybe not even suitable for small children.

How do we explain the concept of "war" to small children? Especially one that was fought so many years ago. I grew up in the south many years ago and the Civil War was always an interesting topic of discusion. There seemed to be mixed messages about the Civil War.

So I sent this post card to my young neice and nephew and wrote on it that we had visited this battlefiled. It was a beautiful place, but many years ago an important battle was fought there to free many people. I'll let their parents take it from there.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2011, 01:39 PM   #24
Moosedude OP
Adventurer

After a steak dinner and a good night's sleep the next day we worked our way over to eastern Tenn and "the tail of the dragon." I've ridden it a couple of times by this was Jay-bro's first time riding the dragon's tail. He enjoyed it and we made it to Deal's Gap safe and sound.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #25
Moosedude OP
Adventurer

The guys at Deal's Gap were kind enough to give me a dragon sticker for Destiny's windshield.
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2011, 06:07 PM   #26
Moosedude OP
Adventurer

After the Dragon we took a leisurely ride to the Cherahola Skyway. This is a longer, prettier road with great sweeping turns and fantastic views of the mountains.
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #27
Moosedude OP
Adventurer

We met this lady at one of the overlook sites. She used to ride a Honda Goldwing with her husband until he passed away. She was driving (in her car) from Tampa, FL to Kentucky to work at a church camp for the summer with teenagers. She was a really nice lady and we had a nice visit, blessed each other, and then went our separate ways.
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2011, 06:16 PM   #28
Moosedude OP
Adventurer

We had a great time riding the Cherahola, and stopped and took turns trying to get cool pictures of each other riding by.
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2011, 06:17 PM   #29
Moosedude OP
Adventurer

After a great day on the road we find a place to stay and this great Mexican restaurant. Jay-bro orders an avacado stuffed with chicken and cheese, covered in cheese, deep fried, dipped in cheese and served on a bed of cheese. I didn't know Mexico was such a dairy producer. In fact, I don't even remember seeing a cow when I was in Mexico. Maybe this restaurant was run by Wisconsin Mexicans.
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2011, 05:14 PM   #30
Moosedude OP
Adventurer

After a Mexican food induced coma we awoke and headed back up hyw 129 looking for the turn-off to the Great Smokey Mountain National Forrest. Said road was blocked off and so we had to run the rest of the Dragon again back up to Deal's Gap.
Attached Images