User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2012, 09:41 AM   #196
Mr Fast
Slowly striving

Oddometer: 315
camshaft

Talked to Owen our mechanic. Those numbers are just casting numbers for a stock cam. When a cam is reground it is welded up & reground. Look on the side of the lobes for any weld build up. If none there it is probably stock. Take a caliper & measure the lift. Then compare it to stock specs & Megacycles specs. Should be able to tell just from the lift what it is.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #197
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fast View Post
Talked to Owen our mechanic. Those numbers are just casting numbers for a stock cam. When a cam is reground it is welded up & reground. Look on the side of the lobes for any weld build up. If none there it is probably stock. Take a caliper & measure the lift. Then compare it to stock specs & Megacycles specs. Should be able to tell just from the lift what it is.
Will do, thanks for the help!
Old 07-03-2012, 10:00 PM   #198
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud Al View Post
You better weigh that paint before you put it on the frame, you don't want to undo all your hard work
This ^^^

You know how much I enjoy watching this weight-reducing process.....or madness.....same-same....lol

oregoncoast screwed with this post 07-03-2012 at 10:07 PM
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:34 AM   #199
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
This ^^^

You know how much I enjoy watching this weight-reducing process.....or madness.....same-same....lol
Old 07-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #200
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

piston rings

Finally found piston rings from a guy called "The Greek" The closest I could find were 68 mm but with the correct thickness (1.5 1.5 3.0), I will carefully file the end gaps and should be okay. Will order most of the rest of parts from Bore-Tech next week.

Happy 4th of July and thank you to all our veterans and service people!
Old 07-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #201
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC Garage View Post
Finally found piston rings from a guy called "The Greek" The closest I could find were 68 mm but with the correct thickness (1.5 1.5 3.0), I will carefully file the end gaps and should be okay. Will order most of the rest of parts from Bore-Tech next week.

Happy 4th of July and thank you to all our veterans and service people!
exciting stuff...that bike is going to be fast!!
Old 07-09-2012, 09:13 AM   #202
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Frame Paint

Made a bit more headway on the old twin over the long weekend, but first we had two days rest on the boat (when you're on the boat you can't work on anything, therefore you rest), then came home and divided my time between the old twin and the wife's Sprite. Made great progress on both.

Here are the frame and swing arm after several more hours of grinding, sanding , priming and painting;

It feels good to be at this stage, now as parts are prepared or purchased, they can be bolted to the freshly painted frame, it feels like all forward progress from here.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:53 AM   #203
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Looking great!
Old 07-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #204
azcagiva
new orange flavor

Oddometer: 1,136
Hey Rick,

You might want to talk to Total Seal in Phoenix for rings. They make all different sizes and probably have something that will work. If they need a piston I could run one down to them to measure. Let me know.

-John

www.Raceforthewounded.com
azcagiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:46 AM   #205
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcagiva View Post
Hey Rick,

You might want to talk to Total Seal in Phoenix for rings. They make all different sizes and probably have something that will work. If they need a piston I could run one down to them to measure. Let me know.

-John
Thanks John, when the rings arrive that I ordered from the Greek, I will do a quick test fit and if they don't look like they will work, will get ahold of you for more details. Thanks for the support!
Old 07-20-2012, 08:10 AM   #206
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Paint stripping and other tidbits

So last night I had a few hours to devote to the old girl and decided to get cracking on engine parts cleanup, in the hopes of making some serious progresse this weekend. The Pow-Roll top end off of the parts bike had been painted with some kind of heat resistant black paint and was pretty beat looking, so the first order of business was to apply paint stripper.

Before;

First Application of Stripper;

First rinsing;

After the first application, about 90 percent of the paint was gone, so I applied the rest of the stripper and especially down into all the little nooks and crannies. After second application and rinsing and then a thorough drying with compressed air, the parts were starting to look pretty decent. I coated all the steel parts (especially the cylinders) with a heavy coat of WD-40 and let them sit overnight. Before I left for work this morning I gave these same parts a good shot of spray carb cleaner, and hopefully that will loosen up forty years of grime.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #207
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

A little progress...

What a summer it has been, busy busy! The catchup process has gone really well, the house and yard look great, shop is beginning to look like, well...a shop and the wife's Sprite made it to an actual cruise-in, so other than not doing much of anything with the bikes, the summer has been pretty successful.

We've just begun another project that will make it's way South next spring, and although I'm not at liberty to say much more than that, stay tuned for a build thread for a bike that will have to be seen to be believed! In the meantime, while in the shop working on the new mystery project, I actually spent some time cleaning the SL350 cylinder head, in preparation for shipping it South to Mr Fast, so it can be reworked to Lameco specs.

Here is the head after about 15 minutes with the roloc bristles;

A little more cleaning and I will box it up and ship it out! I've also decided to sand and repaint the frame, it just doesn't look that great and since I now have at least til next spring to get it ready, want it to look a little more professional. Speaking of professional, the SL350 will also be getting another upgrade courtesy of Twinduro's upholstery skills, a custom aluminum based seat!
Old 09-06-2012, 12:38 AM   #208
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC Garage View Post
We've just begun another project that will make it's way South next spring, and although I'm not at liberty to say much more than that, stay tuned for a build thread for a bike that will have to be seen to be believed!
Oi. I give.
Luke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #209
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
I've now beaten Luke into submission! Here is the link to his build thread;

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=823952
Old 10-02-2012, 08:21 AM   #210
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcagiva View Post
Hey Rick,

-John
John, one sample piston is coming your way, it is packaged up with the cylinder head I'm mailing down to your dad. Thanks for offering to do this, I decided to see what Total Seal can do, the Greek rings would probably work, but more and more I want this bike to be done right and last a few seasons. Thanks!