User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #376
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,375
Nice shots Allan.

Rick, you and your bike are looking mighty good. I'm miss watching you guys race. I'm going to have to make time to get to some races next year.

Ladybug0048 screwed with this post 08-05-2013 at 05:02 PM
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:19 PM   #377
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,394
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #378
Rockcat
LDA

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC Garage View Post
Camera decided to quit working, so just a quick update;

After a couple months of home improvement and honey do's, another race is on the horizon, the AHRMA VMX at Elkton, Oregon. Prepping the SL350 includes a tune up, valve adjustment and jetting as well as changing the forks and front wheel back to stock so the bike will qualify for AHRMA's NW Region ESS class. This is a new or experimental class designed to separate the early 70's bikes that are heavier and less refined from the faster and lighter 73 - 74 Maico's, CZ', etcetera. Hopefully it will make us a wee bit more competitive??
I rode the trials on Saturday and walked the MX course. It looked like a good track for a twin. I'm sure you had a great time.
Rockcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #379
Loud Al

Oddometer: 3,867
Here are some pics of Rick

http://www.allanleahyphoto.com/Racin...6579&k=Njwh9Lq

Allan
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:32 PM   #380
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 677
Race Report

We had a great time with friends and family at the VMX in Elkton, Oregon at the Big K Ranch. We spent Friday and Saturday in Sutherlin with my aunt and uncle and Loud Al joined us on Saturday and camped in the side yard. We all treked up the mountain near Elkton and the Big K Ranch, it is a very beautiful area with the Umpqua river curling around the 2500 acre property and the track located on top of a noll at about 800 foot elevation. We were also joined at the track by the barn fresh pit chicks Karen and Cindy, who drove 200 miles to be there. Awesome.

Practice started out rough, as I rolled to the line the plugs started to foul, I just rode and hoped it would clear out, but not so much. The track was super greasy and there were lots of crashes, but managed to stay on my wheels.

After practice I pulled the 145 jets and put in 140's, opened up the idle air screws, put in my last set of fresh plugs and crossed my fingers for luck. At the start of the first moto (and it was the very first moto!) it was still wet and greasy, but did manage to pull a decent start and went into the first set of turns in 5th place. On an off camber right hander, a rider in front went down and it was all I could do to keep from ramming him and in the process crashed too. Nobody hurt, popped up, straightened handlebars and fender (kinda) and got going. Rode ok, but was so far back it didn't matter.

For the second moto pulled to the line and it started to slightly cut out and miss, nothing to do but hope for the best, green flag dropped and when I popped the clutch she all but quit, feathered the clutch and throttle, got moving but was nearly last. Came over the hill into the first set of corners and they were lined up mostly single file, so I went wherever they weren't and passed several riders and by halfway thru the first lap was 8th, passed 2 more before the end and finished (on track position) 6th. This race featured several classes mixed together so how I may have finished within my class is unknown. Found that if I just stayed mostly in 3rd gear and let it pull and only downshifted into 2nd on the tight turns it would run pretty good.

Anyway, came thru in one piece, but am determined that before next season we will either have these carbs ironed out or will go back to the stockers, i'm DONE fighting these carbs on race day.

Despite any challenges, a good time was had by all, and because we were in motos 1/1, we were off the ranch and on the highway home by 2:00 and were pretty happy about that! We were also happy that we were indeed allowed to run the Early Stock Sportsmen class and although populated by Maico's and CZ's, they are the older 4 speed models and when we get dialed in should be able to give them a run for their money. We've just begun to fight!
Old 08-06-2013, 05:38 AM   #381
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcat View Post
I rode the trials on Saturday and walked the MX course. It looked like a good track for a twin. I'm sure you had a great time.
Hi Rockcat! Yes, the track was fun and challenging, the off camber, downhill turns were especially difficult early in the day when they were wet and greasy. Even though I had some engine problems, overall I really liked the track and especially the absence of big jumps. We are putting this event on our calendar for next year. Come over and say hi at the next race and by the way, what are you riding in the trials? We have an old TL125 we've been thinking about bringing.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:42 AM   #382
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud Al View Post
Thanks for being there Al, we appreciate all your help and support!
Old 08-06-2013, 05:43 AM   #383
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Nice shots Allan.

Rick, you and your bike are looking mighty good. I'm miss watching you guys race. I'm going to have to make time to get to some races next year.
Ladybug, we can talk at horse shoes on Sept 7th, we are getting our race calendar dialed in for next year.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:21 AM   #384
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

I'll be just returning from a two week ride the weekend before that but I might just leave the bike packed and head over after work that Fri. I miss seeing everyone.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:12 AM   #385
Rockcat
LDA

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Come over and say hi at the next race and by the way, what are you riding in the trials? We have an old TL125 we've been thinking about bringing.
I have a '56 BSA 500 for trials. I started riding trials a couple of years ago, it is a great time. OregonCoast rode his SL 350 in the Chehalis trials a couple of years ago. Your TL will be perfect, just get new tires. Trials is about traction and old tires suck.
Rockcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:20 AM   #386
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

TL125 and other updates

The last few months have been very busy with shop/home improvements. Over the summer and fall the shop now has all concrete floors, a concrete porch, a hillbilly sink/cleaning station under the new porch, a new carport (for the motor-home), a new wood shed, a man door out the back of the shop to access the woodshed and Luke and I have rebuilt the wood stove wall and chimney. While there are still many projects to go on the shop, for now it is time to get back to the motos and start prepping for 2014 season's various riding activities.

First up is the TL125, we originally rescued this bike from a local junk dealer and semi restored it in 2005 to make a trail bike for my youngest daughter. This was a great starer bike for her, but we eventually moved her to a little spunkier SL100 and the TL125 has been sitting ever since.

The plan is to return this bike to trials form and compete in the beginner class at AHRMA events. Now when we travel to AHRMA events, we can run the trials on Saturday and the MX on Sundays, double the fun!

If you look carefully at the sprocket cover, it is something I cobbled up from a piece of tin years ago as the original was missing. The engine also had some iffy gaskets and the keyway on the cam for the ignition advance was partially stripped. Luckily, Luke had a spare motor, a clean and original fuel tank (complete with beauty marks), and a few other needed bits and pieces.

The TL125 will be stripped, cleaned and reassembled with the better motor, new tires and whatever else is needed to make it a reliable ride for a trials newby. And those god-awful fenders will be gone as well! Maybe something in chrome or aluminum??

2014 should be a fun and busy year with the D100, Crooked River, Snake River Rally (both rallys if we can work it out), Big K Ranch and maybe a few OMRA events if time allows.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #387
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,582
Quote:
And those god-awful fenders will be gone as well!
Preston Petty?

I had a set of those on an SL175.

You might not want to just throw them away. Out of curiosity, I checked Ebay, and they are going for as much as $99 each.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:32 PM   #388
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Nice to see an update from you. Hopefully I will see you at the D100.

Merry Christmas to you and Jan.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #389
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

D100...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Nice to see an update from you. Hopefully I will see you at the D100.

Merry Christmas to you and Jan.
We really wanted to see you last year at the D100, you missed a fun time at our "campfire" and some good riding too. Kind of sounds like we may be doing the dual-sport ride this year, any chance you will want to join us??

Merry Christmas to you too!
Old 12-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #390
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Quote:
We really wanted to see you last year at the D100, you missed a fun time at our "campfire" and some good riding too. Kind of sounds like we may be doing the dual-sport ride this year, any chance you will want to join us??

Merry Christmas to you too!

I'd love to join you but I don't think you can ride that slow. Hopefully Junior will be able to return to the NW for a little bit and attend the D100 too.