User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2014, 08:28 AM   #406
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 653
Spokes & Tire

My new ebay spokes arrived, so time to get crackin'!

Replacing the missing spoke;

And then the damaged spoke;

All fixed;

And the @!$#%^$&*%^!!! tire mounted;

Unlike Loud Al who is a tire changing champion, I am terrible at the process. But perseverance won the day and the tire was mounted successfully and for once no holes punched in the tube.

Next up is to service the wheel bearings, mount the wheel and tire and then swap out the motor. Soon the little TL will be ready for action.

After I've had chance to try trials out for a few events, some time in the future I'm considering perhaps building a 350 twin trials bike, like OC did a couple years ago, but take it a little further. Any thoughts?
Old 01-21-2014, 02:02 PM   #407
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC Garage View Post

After I've had chance to try trials out for a few events, some time in the future I'm considering perhaps building a 350 twin trials bike, like OC did a couple years ago, but take it a little further. Any thoughts?
Yep, I have a thought. Get your head examined. Something's not right.
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:36 PM   #408
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
Yep, I have a thought. Get your head examined. Something's not right.
just belly laughed, too damn funny!
Old 01-24-2014, 08:00 AM   #409
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Last night we made good progress on the TL125, while I finished up installation of the rear wheel, Luke began pulling the old motor.

We decided to get a shot of us wearing our matching insulated coveralls. Since we got these we are going through a lot less propane and firewood! Note matching bottles of home brew in our pockets (courtesy of Ken Fisher and Grateful Deaf's Brewing)

After about an hour of thrashing, wheel and new motor are installed. Hope to have it running this weekend.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:28 PM   #410
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 9,903
Those coveralls are awful clean. What's with that?

Last weekend I was asking where Luke was and now I at least know he's still alive.

I hope I get to see you guys at the D100. I sure miss my Outta Sight Buddies.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:43 PM   #411
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Nice matching coveralls. I guess I need a pair now.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:46 PM   #412
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Those coveralls are awful clean. What's with that?

Last weekend I was asking where Luke was and now I at least know he's still alive.

I hope I get to see you guys at the D100. I sure miss my Outta Sight Buddies.
We are planning to be there, not sure yet if the dual sport SL350 will be ready, but as the projects get caught up, we'll get started on it and do our best to make that happen.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:48 PM   #413
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
Nice matching coveralls. I guess I need a pair now.
Once you have insulated coveralls, you'll wonder why you waited so long!

These should also be great for hanging around the fire pit at the D100 and other chilly events!
Old 01-26-2014, 07:59 PM   #414
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Yesterday was spent with little red doing domestic stuff, so today I started early and got with the program.

First up was making the TL125 a runner. Sorted out all the engine fasteners, got it all snugged up in the frame, then cleaned the carb, attached all the cables, exhaust, ignition, tank and seat.

Almost ready;

Filled it with fuel, turned on the petcock, applied the choke and 3 kicks later she was purring right along. Took it for a quick ride that made my day. Here she is after the first ride, still lots of tuning and TLC needing to be done, but at least it's a runner;

Will park it for now and get the TTR250 ready for spring rides, as well as getting started on the SL350 projects. Spent the rest of the day servicing the transmission and fixing oil leaks on Nellie, no point having the bikes ready if the support vehicle isn't up to the task!
Old 01-27-2014, 08:37 AM   #415
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Great job Rick! That thing looks sweet, sure you don't want to team trial that at AHRMA? LOL
Old 01-27-2014, 09:07 PM   #416
darmst6829
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
LC Garage, check AHRMA NW http://www.ahrmanw.com/aMotocross.htm events are close at hand...
I am going to ride at Terrebonne, LeMay, Hannegen and Rattlers Run. Unfortunately that’s about as much as I can fit into a year. What about you?
Seattle
darmst6829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:26 AM   #417
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by darmst6829 View Post
LC Garage, check AHRMA NW http://www.ahrmanw.com/aMotocross.htm events are close at hand...
I am going to ride at Terrebonne, LeMay, Hannegen and Rattlers Run. Unfortunately that’s about as much as I can fit into a year. What about you?
Hi Dave! We will be at Terrebonne and Big K Ranch, plan to do the trials and MX. Have never done trials, so will be squeezing in as much practice as time allows. Luke has some trials experience so he is guiding my noob efforts.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:55 AM   #418
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Nellie, aka Adventure Support Vehicle

Last night I put our motor home Nellie back together one more time, and I sure hope this is the last time I have to pull the doghouse before the D100. It is an '86 Ford E350 class C that we bought about 1.5 years ago, that had fairly low miles @ 99k and ran decent, but even then I knew it needed tuning and carb overhaul. Since then, I've pulled the doghouse numerous times (not fun), given it a full tune up, carb overhaul, trans service and a multitude of small repairs, but it never did run quite right. I finally discovered the egr plate under the carb had a blown gasket, but it had been blown so long the manifold casting had become eroded and would not support a new gasket. not having the time or money to replace the manifold right now, I decided to block off the egr valve ports for now and while it was apart also replaced the old Holley (that I'd overhauled but had already blow the power valve, grrrr) with a new Edelbrock. Until I can replace the manifold and get the egr functional again, I have the distributor advance running off manifold vacuum (instead of ported vacuum) to help combat detonation or pinging. While I had it apart, I thought it would be prudent to install plug wires and a new coil. Good thing! When I pulled the coil off and removed the wiring/horse shoe clip, discovered what may have been giving us some of our drive-ability issues. The 12 volt power wire had been rubbed/frayed/burnt down to only a few strands of wire, it was a wonder it even ran as well as it did. So repaired the harness, cleaned and re-wrapped all under-hood wires and added split loom for protection. Installed new coil, installed plug wires and used high heat boot socks and also split loom on wires, they are about as protected as I can make them. Checked timing, set at a conservative 8 degrees initial and also verified operation of vacuum and mechanical advance. This is all it gets for now, have to get bikes and other gear ready, hoping it runs well and gets decent mileage. Next winter I'm planning to install an aluminum intake and make the egr functional again and also will install a 429 timing set that will put cam timing back where it belongs (the 460 uses retarded timing to increase exhaust temperature for emissions) and is supposed to increase power and fuel mpg. Anyway, just want to get back to the bikes, prepping and riding!

As for the bikes, the TL125 won't take a lot to finish up, the SL350 wheels are finished and ready to be picked up and took the TTR250 out for a small ride last week and it is running beautiful, not much to do for prep on the D100 except getting some seat time and sorting out gear.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:05 AM   #419
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

New 12 tooth countershaft sprocket for TL125. Immediately discovered the retainer does not fit.

Old sprocket and retainer, compared with new sprocket and backyard retainer method (e-clip). Washer is being used to shim between sprocket and countershaft seal, and to reduce lateral movement of sprocket.

Installed

Both vintage bikes eagerly awaiting further attention.

Luke and I are going trail riding Saturday, time to get some miles under our belts before heading north to race in D100.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:38 AM   #420
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 9,903
I'm looking forward to seeing the two of you at the D100.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote