Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2014, 12:19 AM   #466
TwinDuro
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
....speed holes! The SL is looking lean and mean Rick! I really like the dipstick mod, so cool!

Whatever you do, don't look at the Cappellini Moto catalog for Honda 350s... there's only financial ruin in those pages I tell ya!

Old 05-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #467
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,800
Don't you have some pictures to show us and a story to tell?

Look what I found on another thread.

Dang, you're looking good.

I found the picture here:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1#post24095971
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:43 PM   #468
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 706
Niggles

Had the good fortune to meet Niggles this weekend, very nice guy and also quite a good rider as well;

Niggles also had a top wrench working on his BSA GP 500, she didn't want us taking any close up's of his trick ride and quickly covered it when we got our cameras out. She wouldn't give her name, but the coveralls say "Janet", we suspect she is a top secret BSA mechanic working undercover as BSA plans their big comeback!

Niggles was also quite generous and shared some of his hi-octane race fuel as we continued to chase our tuning issues. Never got a chance to actually watch him ride, hopefully next time!

Thanks to Ladybug for leading me to the thread where Niggle's action photo was posted!
Old 05-05-2014, 09:39 PM   #469
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Holeshots can be deceiving...

Lots of pre-event work; mx and trials bikes received lots of attention. Felt really ready but still had nagging doubts about jetting and launches. One decision made at the last minute was to insert baffles in the exhaust downturns. Reasoning was the bike is pretty loud and wanted to respect CRR's neighbors, the other was the idea that maybe some back pressure would help the tip-in throttle response. The bike really screamed when she was rolling, but did not like the throttle to be snapped open.

Luke plug welding the baffles and welding up the modified center stand;

But before we can ride VMX, first there was the new experience of riding trials. I knew it wouldn't be easy, but it was far more challenging than I'd realized. I now have much greater respect for those riding the 1 and 2 lines!

Getting ready to head to section 1, round 1 and getting a pep talk from former NW flat track ace Jim Walden;

We're doing WHAT??

Steady improvement all day, finished with a total of 39 (ouch) but had a six in round 3. I actually managed to crash pretty hard in one section, just the usual ass-hattery!

Lots of fun all weekend with many friends and family and also made many new friends among the AHRMA folks. We even had a birthday party for one of our great nephews. The biggest challenge was keeping the candles lit long enough so he could blow them out;

It's great to have the love and support from so many we hold dear;

I think the nephews had a good time;

Colt;

Orrin;

T98 is at the far end of the gate;

After practice we changed jetting, dropping the mains from a 140 to a 135, and after talking to Tom Street, pulled off the baffled down turns. Much better but still a bit rich, after the first moto dropped the needles and put in new plugs. After the moto we saw the first brown on the plugs since we converted to Mikunis;

Here mechanic Randy is telling me we are out of time and we are now in "run-what-you-brung" mode;

And so back to that "hole-shot", both gates were timed really well, but in the first moto the engine stumbled a little (mid throttle launch) and gated about 5th, came in (on track position) around 4th. 2nd moto gated well (full throttle) but almost immediately it fell flat on it's face and was almost last. Rode hard to try and make up lost ground, but ended up losing the front end in one of the uphill corners and went down. Lost a lot of ground, but got restarted, rode hard and passed 3 or 4 riders. No idea where I finished.

What it looks like when you are riding over your head and chop the throttle just before cresting the jump;

Overall an excellent weekend, but we will definitely be changing the carbs. Right now the plan is to rebuild a set of CV's and install before Big K Ranch. The CV carbs proved they would work well and launch perfectly back in 2011!
Old 05-05-2014, 10:59 PM   #470
niggles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
niggles

Thanks for posting the pictures on your thread Rick. The BSA factory boys were not happy! about the word getting out that BSA is testing at AHRMA events for a new bike release in 2015.
niggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:01 AM   #471
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Terrific report. Looks like you, your family and friends had a lot of fun.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:44 AM   #472
Loud Al

Oddometer: 3,897
Looks like you guys had a great time

Allan
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:40 PM   #473
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

One Last CRR SS Pic

Courtesy of KurtW;

Old 05-26-2014, 11:07 PM   #474
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Probable Next Project Bike...

Last year we drug home a couple of SL350's that belonged to Tom Street. One was a stock low miler and the other was Tom's brothers bike, reported to have a Powroll big bore kit;

The low miler was given to my friend Don, who had so graciously given me back the bike I'm racing now, that had been sold to him in 1985. He was looking for an SL350 and I knew he would give it a good home.

That left me with the other bike, and hopefully with a big bore motor. The rotted out old TT pipes were a clue. Tom said this bike was super torquey and used to do great wheelies.

The motor was stuck, and over the last year I've been squirting PB Blaster into the plug holes, hoping it would loosen up.

After talking to Tom on the phone last week and getting some encouragement, I decided to take the plunge and put a wrench to the alternator bolt and see if it would turn;

The good news is that with minimal coaxing it began to turn, the bad news is that after only so much rotation either direction it would stop. I pulled the valve covers and soon had the culprit, the left hand exhaust valve was stuck slightly open. Damn.

Over the next few days, I gave the stuck valve generous helpings of PB Blaster, but to no avail, she just wouldn't move. I even pulled the rocker arm off and used a brass drift directly on the end of the valve, but no go.

While I had the left hand bearing support off to remove the rocker arm, I saw the camshaft had an unusual stamping on the end "P27". Not sure what it means yet, but a hot cam would be in keeping with the big bore kit and tt pipes;

At this stage, I decided to stop before any damage was done and just plan on pulling the motor and giving it a proper tear down, overhaul and valve job. Might have to send the head down South to Lameco for another hot rod valve job!

Right now my goal is to get this engine built, possibly above and beyond the motor I have now and then combine it with all the pieces that aren't legal for Early Stock Sportsman and build a bike to ride in the +60 class. I have several frames, a YZ360 rear wheel and a CR250 front wheel and forks. I'm still looking for an aluminum tank, and I'm told up North there is a young feller that can build an aluminum seat for this beast.

Stay tuned, more to come over the following months!
Old 06-16-2014, 10:27 AM   #475
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Inspired by Luke's FearLESSness

Luke has been a good influence on me, he is unafraid to try anything or any project, and it's made me just a little bit bolder. This weekend I took on the task of cutting down the windshield on my Shadow. (sorry no pics for this one)

I've been riding the Shadow for about 5 years and have always had a problem with the windshield being too tall and creating another different thing for my eyes to compensate for, especially if I'm wearing sunglasses, have my visor down, looking through the windshield or it's upper edge and driving into a corner with dappled sunlight. Pretty uncomfortable.

So got out on the inter-web, looked at new windshield prices & also "how to" articles on cutting them and thought, what the hell, I can try and cut it and if it doesn't work, I'll be stuck buying one anyway. So I traced the top profile of the windshield onto some cardboard, cut it out, taped up the windshield with duct tape, traced the profile onto the tape 3" lower and cut the top of the shield off with a jigsaw using a fine tooth metal blade. Worked slick.

After the initial cut, spent about an hour just filing the edge with a big old flat metal file and then smoothed it off with 400 sandpaper, and finally polished out the whole windshield and edge with Meguiar's plastic polish. Worked great, windshield is now at a height I can comfortably see over and the cost was zero. Yeehaw!

Also changed the rear sprocket on the Shadow, it started out as 17/41 and always felt like it needed 6th gear, had changed it a few years ago to 17/38, better but still not great, now it has a 17/36 and the gearing feels perfect, should be able to cruise all day at 70. Sweet.

LC Garage screwed with this post 06-16-2014 at 01:50 PM
LC Garage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:27 PM   #476
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC Garage View Post
Luke has been a good influence on me, he is unafraid to try anything or any project, and it's made me just a little bit bolder. This weekend I took on the task of cutting down the windshield on my Shadow. (sorry no pics for this one)

I've been riding the Shadow for about 5 years and have always had a problem with the windshield being too tall and creating another different thing for my eyes to compensate for, especially if I'm wearing sunglasses, have my visor down, looking through the windshield or it's upper edge and driving into a corner with dappled sunlight. Pretty uncomfortable.

So got out on the inter-web, looked at new windshield prices & also "how to" articles on cutting them and thought, what the hell, I can try and cut it and if it doesn't work, I'll be stuck buying one anyway. So I traced the top profile of the windshield onto some cardboard, cut it out, taped up the windshield with duct tape, traced the profile onto the tape 3" lower and cut the top of the shield off with a jigsaw using a fine tooth metal blade. Worked slick.

After the initial cut, spent about an hour just filing the edge with a big old flat metal file and then smoothed it off with 400 sandpaper, and finally polished out the whole windshield and edge with Meguiar's plastic polish. Worked great, windshield is now at a height I can comfortably see over and the cost was zero. Yeehaw!

Also changed the rear sprocket on the Shadow, it started out as 17/41 and always felt like it needed 6th gear, had changed it a few years ago to 17/38, better but still not great, now it has a 17/36 and the gearing feels perfect, should be able to cruise all day at 70. Sweet.
Awesome! When we going for a cruise?

oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:42 AM   #477
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Hmmmmm looks like someone bought a new toy.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:11 PM   #478
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Hmmmmm looks like someone bought an new old toy.
Fixt.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:23 PM   #479
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
Awesome! When we going for a cruise?

I love it!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-21-2014, 07:04 AM   #480
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
LOVE the SL's. Awesome looking bike. Sl 100 is high on my list of must have.

Awesome job
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote