User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2014, 07:20 AM   #481
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,455
Hey Rick..

Couple of problems with my new old, old-man's bike (the Venture pictured above). Know anyone that could get these stripped messes out of my master cylinder so I can add some brake fluid?

Apparently, the previous owner did not understand the concept very well
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:58 AM   #482
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
LOVE the SL's. Awesome looking bike. Sl 100 is high on my list of must have.

Awesome job
Nachtflug, thanks, the blue bike has evolved quite a bit since this shot in 2011 and of course the white SL in the background is Oregon Coast's Mexican 1000 bike that was pulling duty that weekend as a trials bike! These bikes aren't perfect at anything, but they are solid & reliable performers at almost everything!
Old 06-21-2014, 10:05 AM   #483
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
Couple of problems with my new old, old-man's bike (the Venture pictured above). Know anyone that could get these stripped messes out of my master cylinder so I can add some brake fluid?

Apparently, the previous owner did not understand the concept very well
Just had a similar situation with the sl350 centrifugal oil filter cover. First try using a very fine punch or chisel and small hammer to try rotating the screws, often once the break loose they will come right out. Sometimes you can cut a new slot in the face of the screw and use a straight bladed impact, but these screws are pretty far gone, you can also get an endless variety of small sized ez-outs and tap one into the center and try and unscrew, last but not least you can drill them out, just drilling the head off, leaving a threaded stub sticking out that after pulling cap off can be unscrewed with a very small pair of vise grips. Have fun!
Old 06-21-2014, 08:02 PM   #484
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC Garage View Post
Just had a similar situation with the sl350 centrifugal oil filter cover. First try using a very fine punch or chisel and small hammer to try rotating the screws, often once the break loose they will come right out. Sometimes you can cut a new slot in the face of the screw and use a straight bladed impact, but these screws are pretty far gone, you can also get an endless variety of small sized ez-outs and tap one into the center and try and unscrew, last but not least you can drill them out, just drilling the head off, leaving a threaded stub sticking out that after pulling cap off can be unscrewed with a very small pair of vise grips. Have fun!
Thanks for that great advice. I ended up using some PB Blaster, then got two sharp screw drivers, hammered them in a bit, and turned a little clockwise then counterclockwise, repeat and they came right out! Then I stole two screws off the SL350 (XR600's) master cylinder so I could top it off and drive it this weekend!
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:28 PM   #485
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Big K Ranch Prep and Other Stuff

It's been a very busy couple of months, and although I haven't been posting, have been busy in the shop and around the house.

1st things 1st; on July 1st I turned 60! I'm pretty stoked about that, now when I run at the OMRA Events and also the D100, I race for free! Hell yeah!

10 days after turning 60, the wife and I loaded up the 750 Shadow and headed East to the Hells Canyon Rally. Although it was super hot on Saturday (104 degrees at the Hells Canyon Inn), we really had a great weekend. The ride home Sunday was a little tough, nursing a hangover and a 6 hour ride at 100 degrees. The next 2 weeks were spent painting the house, a long overdue project, and it came out great. Even though all of these activities were going on, every spare minute I've been out in the shop puttering around, working toward the next vintage race at Big K Ranch.

The main project in the shop has been removing the Mikuni VM30's and rebuilding a stock set of Keihin 722A's CV’s. The problem with the Mikuni's was a horrendous bog coming out of the starting gate. My normal practice for many years has been to start in second gear, get out over the front wheel, keep the throttle nearly pinned, drop the clutch and let the back wheel spin. In 2011, at the Hammer and Tongs race at PIR (thanks Seige!) both motos we had the holeshot. Until I put the VM30's on, the SL350 was great on starts. Going into the Steel Stampede in May, the jetting was finally coming around on the Mikunis, but like always with these carbs, once the back wheel started to hook up, the rpms would drop, the air flow was reduced, it would stop pulling fuel and that of course led to a giant bog, and from jumping the gate first, to hitting turn one in 6th or 7th (or worse).

After several races with this situation, I've had enough. The slightly smaller stock (to CB/CL350’s) constant velocity carbs (similar to the cv carbs ran back in 2011) should allow for better launches off the start line. This weekend I'll finish up the carb swap and find out how it runs. Fingers crossed.

After the Big K Ranch race on Sunday, August 10th, I'll post two things; one will be a race report and two, will be the carb rebuild story. It's taken 6 carbs total (plus lots of new stuff) to put enough parts together to build 2 good carbs. A lot has been learned thru this whole Mikuni/Keihin process.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:43 PM   #486
TwinDuro
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Awesome Rick, can't wait for the Big K and to see your SL!

I had the chance to take the Sherpa down to Riverdale last Saturday with Luke and friends and had a blast ripping around the track!

It's coming up quick; I'll see you and the whole crew next Friday!
Old 08-01-2014, 06:11 PM   #487
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,800
Nice to see an update from you but you'd think at 60 you would know enough not to get a hangover.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:01 AM   #488
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinDuro View Post
Awesome Rick, can't wait for the Big K and to see your SL!

I had the chance to take the Sherpa down to Riverdale last Saturday with Luke and friends and had a blast ripping around the track!

It's coming up quick; I'll see you and the whole crew next Friday!
great! see you friday about 2 or 3
Old 08-02-2014, 09:05 AM   #489
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Nice to see an update from you but you'd think at 60 you would know enough not to get a hangover.
I'm a slow learner!
Old 08-04-2014, 09:26 PM   #490
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

It Lives!

CV Carbs are on and working, bike is pretty much ready for Big K Ranch;

Side panels needed trimming to fit the fatter CV carbs;

Backup bike;

Don's TM400, he said he'd had it for five years and had never gotten it started. Checked compression and spark, cleaned the carb, fresh fuel and a few kicks later it was running. Don is planning to ride TM250 at Elkton, I'm gonna try and talk him into bringing this bike in case either of our bikes crap out, so we've got something to ride.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:02 AM   #491
TwinDuro
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Awesome and great to hear! Don's TM400 is sweet as well!
Old 08-11-2014, 08:52 PM   #492
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Race Report Bg K 2014

Cliff Mee, Debbie Poole, Dick and Kay Mann, Tom Bentley and many others put on a great AHRMA show at the Elkton Big K Ranch Vintage Trial and MX this year.

The scenery and camping is amazing, on a hilltop overlooking the Umpqua river;

Sunset Saturday night;

Outta Sight!

Tuning the Dave Armstrong sponsored Bultaco Classic 250 Trials for Cory;

section 1;

section 1;

exiting section 1;

Starting section 10;

section 10;

exiting section 10, Little Red waiting with water for Cory;

Niggles on the Montesa 348 in section 10. Niggles has excellent taste in bikes, he came to Big K armed with the BSA GP, Montesa 348, his "trail bike" a barn fresh 125 Penton ISDE and a KTM in case he needed to run for groceries. He also told some pretty damned good stories, one in particular about a new Penton that didn't survive its first outing in '75. Wow! Niggles rode the 2 line and made it look easy, then he did a small trail ride around the section just to show off!

Cory receives his plaque for 1st place Novice in Classic 250 (brought to Cory by Vint Whitman);

Cleaning filters Saturday afternoon, prepping for Sundays MX;

Heading out for our first practice session;

Post practice debriefing with Luke;

Lining up for moto 1 (yes, I even have my own umbrella girl);

First turn moto 1, the old twin in 3rd on track, first in class;

After moto 1 we had time to rest and strategize, Cory came thru his first moto in one piece, we had an opportunity to trophy if I didn't goon in the 2nd moto. I gooned. Grrr.

Start of 2nd moto, I wheelied, got sideways, recovered and was trying to make up ground into turn one, when a melee developed ahead to my right. Saw the wreck developing, started to swing wide and at the last second a rider veered into me and I went over the highside, ouch.

I managed to crash right in front of my wife and friends and as I lay on the ground trying to get the air back in my left lung, the EMT was telling me I had 30 more seconds "before they would have to get me off the track". I said "didn't they red flag it? "Nope". Damn! I jumped up and started barking at my team (I may even have used some salty language), trying to straighten up the mangled bike, Jim pulled up the handlebars and Luke and Jim pulled the twisted gear lever away from the cases, I hopped on and Jim straddled the front wheel while I straightened the front as quickly as possible, kicked the beast back to life and rejoined the fray, already a lap down, but too fired up to think clearly. Rode like a madman for 3 laps and then looped out on the uphill, but managed to pull the clutch in and kept it from dying, spun around and kept going, but by then realized all I was going to do was finish, ended up 6th in moto 2 and no hardware, Dang.

The newly rebuilt carbs worked pretty well, definitely better on starts but jetting a bit fat, but thats easily taken care of.

The old twin before unloading today;

Next up, the CV carb story.

LC Garage screwed with this post 08-11-2014 at 11:08 PM
LC Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:58 PM   #493
darmst6829
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Thanks for sharing Rick, to bad about the "off". You OK?
Seattle
darmst6829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:04 PM   #494
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by darmst6829 View Post
Thanks for sharing Rick, to bad about the "off". You OK?
Dave, yes I'm ok, just sore, thanks for asking. Every crash for the last 3 years has been left-side head, neck, or shoulder, this was no exception. Cory has film of the crash, he said he would post on facebook. It may have felt worse than it looked. You would have been very proud of Cory, he made steady progress in both disciplines all weekend and he took good care of your bikes. Did you get hurt at Bodner? I heard there were a lot of injuries due to cross rutting??
Old 08-11-2014, 11:37 PM   #495
darmst6829
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC Garage View Post
Dave, yes I'm ok, just sore, thanks for asking. Every crash for the last 3 years has been left-side head, neck, or shoulder, this was no exception. Cory has film of the crash, he said he would post on facebook. It may have felt worse than it looked. You would have been very proud of Cory, he made steady progress in both disciplines all weekend and he took good care of your bikes. Did you get hurt at Bodner? I heard there were a lot of injuries due to cross rutting??
No I burst my ACL at a trials held at the Bohnet farm by Soap lake in late March, surgery this Thursday. Glad you are OK. Cory was stoked about his win in the Classic trials, don't know how the MX went for him. The picture of the "tuning session" looks about right for a 1966 Bultaco!
Seattle
darmst6829 is offline   Reply With Quote