Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
boze_man OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
'76 R60/6 with sidecar...Am I crazy to purchase???

Help! Help! ....I came across a 1976 r60/6 with 46000miles and an unknow sidecar brand for sale locally...spoke to the seller yday...today me and the kiddos happen to run into it when the seller was cruising it in town so i stopped him and looked her over...anyways the kids of course loved it...

looks good from 10ft...runs a little rich and the sidecar setup needs some aligning to track a little better according to seller...the seller wants $3500 ...he a beemer guy and picked up the r60 in ohio when he was buying another bike....he had the sidecar sitting in his shop for sometime and for fun slapped it on over the winter with kinda a home built mount.

My planned use would be backroads, dirtroads, city cruising, exploring etc....no highway....I am totally new to the hack world so will take it VERY slow and cautious esp with the kids

Is this an OK setup and deal? I want to offer him 3k....i would think the r60 is worth that much? Not sure bout the whole hack side of things?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks
B
Look, man, I've got certain information, all right? Certain things have come to light. And, you know, has it ever occurred to you, that, instead of, uh, you know, running around, uh, uh, blaming me, you know, given the nature of all this new shit, you know, I-I-I-I this could be a-a-a-a lot more, uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh complex, I mean, it's not just, it might not be just such a simple...uh, you know???
boze_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:54 PM   #2
boze_man OP
Adventurer

It seems i should use INSANE instead of crazy in the title...lol...as all the threads i read have 'insane' instead...lol....maybe i get points for originality?
Look, man, I've got certain information, all right? Certain things have come to light. And, you know, has it ever occurred to you, that, instead of, uh, you know, running around, uh, uh, blaming me, you know, given the nature of all this new shit, you know, I-I-I-I this could be a-a-a-a lot more, uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh complex, I mean, it's not just, it might not be just such a simple...uh, you know???
Old 06-16-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
boze_man OP
Adventurer

The sidecar is fiberglass body...kinda sloped in the front...gonna try to find out brand

and i think he said it needs a new steering dampener?

boze_man screwed with this post 06-16-2011 at 02:10 PM
Old 06-16-2011, 02:17 PM   #4
boze_man OP
Adventurer

found the link to the CL ad...

http://montana.craigslist.org/mcy/2442054106.html
Old 06-16-2011, 03:12 PM   #5
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
I emailed the owner this morning to let him know that the sidecar is called a thompson cycle car. They were only made for a few years long ago. We have a body for one here that some day we hope to make some changes to the fornt of and offer a small sidecar for scooters. This is a very light sidecar, one kind of odd thing they did at the factory when new is if the sidecar was going on a heavy bike, the made up a form out of angle iron and then poored cement into it for ballist. The asking price is not that far off of what the bike is worth. It should provide you with years of fun.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:27 PM   #6
boze_man OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydmc View Post
I emailed the owner this morning to let him know that the sidecar is called a thompson cycle car. They were only made for a few years long ago. We have a body for one here that some day we hope to make some changes to the fornt of and offer a small sidecar for scooters. This is a very light sidecar, one kind of odd thing they did at the factory when new is if the sidecar was going on a heavy bike, the made up a form out of angle iron and then poored cement into it for ballist. The asking price is not that far off of what the bike is worth. It should provide you with years of fun.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
Jay...thanks for the reply and the info!!!...great website ya have...

the seller did say to add some ballast...he thought to remove the body and attach a piece of sheet iron to the subframe then re-attach the body on top of the sheet iron...
Old 06-16-2011, 03:31 PM   #7
boze_man OP
Adventurer

came across this sidecar history/info PDF for anyone interested...but i am sure ya all already have a copy!

http://www.cyclesidecar.com/pdfs/Sidecar%20Manual.pdf

and this cool popular mechanics issue from '74

http://books.google.com/books?id=odQ...page&q&f=false

stop me if i getting to crazy!
Old 06-16-2011, 08:05 PM   #8
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,627
Hard to tell from the small photos but the steering dimensions appear to be solo stock. I soon found with my s/h R100RS-based outfit that some form of trail-reduction was needed to reduce the steering effort.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:57 PM   #9
boze_man OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexau View Post
Hard to tell from the small photos but the steering dimensions appear to be solo stock. I soon found with my s/h R100RS-based outfit that some form of trail-reduction was needed to reduce the steering effort.
solo stock? trail-reduction? ....related to alignment, triangulation or steering dampner? is there somewhere i can find out what that means?

sorry to be a noob!...will this outfit be safe?
Old 06-16-2011, 11:18 PM   #10
boze_man OP
Adventurer

trail!....ah...looked at DMC website...

All these steering modifications adjust the geometry ("Trail"), of the front forks which steer the motorcycle. With Steering modification, you can drive your sidecar or trike with ease and confidence.

tho not sure what 'solo stock' refers to...but my guess means using the original bikes setup and just attaching a car w/o understanding how the hack will steer or not taking into consideration how it will steer?
Old 06-17-2011, 02:11 PM   #11
boze_man OP
Adventurer

Well...I guess i am crazy!...Bought it this afternoon for 3000$...seller delivered it right to my door...he made it hard to not buy it.

Will post some pics soon as the shock wears off!!!
Old 06-17-2011, 06:30 PM   #12
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by boze_man View Post
trail!....ah...looked at DMC website...

All these steering modifications adjust the geometry ("Trail"), of the front forks which steer the motorcycle. With Steering modification, you can drive your sidecar or trike with ease and confidence.

tho not sure what 'solo stock' refers to...but my guess means using the original bikes setup and just attaching a car w/o understanding how the hack will steer or not taking into consideration how it will steer?
You've grasped it! Take a look at how pre-69 BMW owners coped with this issue when fitting their solo machines with a sidehack:

Notice the dull coloured circle just to the left of the silvery circle at the pivot location for the Earles (actually- 'Swinging Fork) Fork front end? The common practice was/is to move the pivoting axis from the silver forward to the dull . . . . thereby reducing the Trail by approx 40mm. There's some explanation at Jeff Dean's
The Earles Fork on Motorcycles

webpage.

Its all because the geometry on a solo motorcycle was designed to work well as it banks through corners. When you employ an unmodified motorcycle front end on an outfit, or a trike, the considerable Trail (distance by which the tyre contact patch 'trails' the steering axis) now multiplies the effort of the rider to steer around corners, and can even make powering-along in a straight line quite difficult.

Urals, which are built as outfits, are supplied with the low-trail measurement as standard. Indeed- when you separate a Ural from its sidecar frame, and try to ride it solo you may discover the steering is far TOO snappy as there is now not enough trail to make it easy to bank over and take a line through corners.

The precise trail built into a solo motorcycle allows one to out-track the front wheel for Countersteering ----- but an Outfit with its Third Wheel on the tarmac no-longer Countersteers! THAT can only occur if you FLY the chair!
Old 06-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #13
boze_man OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydmc View Post
It should provide you with years of fun.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
LOL...so much fun in 2 days!!!...you should see the smiles on the kids faces as they take turns being "ballast" in the car...

BTW we are only riding in our local neighborhood and doing mostly left hand turns but still a blast!!!
Old 06-18-2011, 09:33 PM   #14
boze_man OP
Adventurer

So w/o any ballast it had a bit of headshake at 20-30mph...yuk

with ballast alot better...but still a bit of a workout...!!
Old 06-19-2011, 07:45 PM   #15
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,033
Congrats Bozeman!

You're quite the Achiever! I'm putting my own Beemer airhead sidecar rig together. I'm curious how you find steering your rig with the stock steering geometry. Is it hard to handle, besides the low speed headshake?
Does it have a damper fitted? Any idea what your car weighs?

Let me know when some new sh*t comes to light.
MotoJ is offline   Reply With Quote