Australian sidecars - happy & sad tales.

Discussion in 'Australia' started by tripodtiger, Jun 16, 2011.

1. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.
    Getting into sidecrs is a bit frightening, there is heaps of information and misinformation spread very thinly around the place. Everyone and no one are experts.

Given that there are always one or two people considering getting into sidecars, and that we are very much fringe dwellers, it may be interesting to hear a bit from owners about the good and bad things they encountered as they have gone through the process - with Australian sidecar builders or sellers.

I'd like to read a few stories on your heroic Hurdis, dependable DJP, perfect Premier, lovely LH (that'll be my job, partly), hilarious Higgins, fantastic Phyllis (gotta call the few out there something), striking SRK, unreal Ural, cosy Cosy, hardy Highway, wonderous Westcart or even humungous home built! That's enough alliteration for anyone.

I've had four sidecars over the past 25 years, built by two different people.
    2 Lindsay's from the NSW north coast and 2 LH, built in Adelaide. I've been happy with all of them. I'll come back to this later, see what response I get.
  2. McCardigan

McCardigan happy Budda

Oddometer:
    QUE?

Me thinks you are fishing/trolling for something that you already have an opinion on.

Care to explain why you put this post up?

And why ask in the general OZ forum and not in the dedicated Hack's forum which is where this post should be?

Cheers
    chadams likes this.
  3. Adrian V

Adrian V Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I reckon it's a valid question and I think Ray may have posted it following a pm I sent him asking about what I should look out for in Higgins sidecars. In my case:

I wondered about sidecars for years and always liked the idea of getting one, but didn't know where to start. Rigs weren't exactly thick on the ground where I live in Albany and I didn't really know what consituted a 'good' rig, especially given the different uses they get put to. I took the plunge after my young kids started saying they wanted to go on one of my bike trips and figured that if I didn't just get one I would probably just procrastinate for years and regret it down the track.

I got a 1 1/2 seater Higgins that was hitched to a K1100RT and bought it locally following a recommendation from a local sidecar buff. It's a bloody ball, I wish I'd done it years ago and the kids think it's totally cool getting dropped off at school...

There have been a some minor issues and there were a few whispers as it doesn't have a full sub frame, but it's been together since the mid /late 90's and shows no signs of falling to bits yet.

I posted on the hacks forum asking questions about what I had bought and was relieved to hear that Phyllis knew of it and may have had a hand in it's construction. The consensus was just ride the thing....so I am :clap

I suspect that people who ride sidecars are slightly left field and their rigs probably reflect this. I still remember a character called Toad arriving at Carnegie Station on a rig with flashing road cone on the front.... Ingenuity and bush engineering seem to be the go and people are very passionate about their rigs and vocal with their opinions, which is the way it should be....

So my advice if you are thinking about getting a sidecar? Talk to as many of these mad bastards as you can and then just do it, it's f#*$king brilliant, but prepare to get hooked :D
  4. TouringDave

TouringDave Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer:

You forgot "The Great Grumpy" from the Monarchs.

I've had 6 outfits and Geoff's effort with my V Strom is without doubt the best by far.

Other wise no horror stories at all.

Oh, and Chris.....back to your Guinness (or whatever you're drinking over there) thanks. :D
  5. TouringDave

Oddometer:
  6. AdventureDave

AdventureDave MMMMM Bundy!

Oddometer:
    I have been contemplating a sidecar for a few years. I am reading with interest as I have found it very difficult to find out what makes a 'good' sidecar over a 'bad' sidecar. I guess I'd start with a course and pay someone to teach me as I dont know anyone with one to even try and see if I like/hate it. I am guessing its an acquired taste. Its expensive to just jump in at the deep end.

Cheers

David
  7. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Anyone spruiking the names of classic Aussie sidecar builders who doesn't mention Tilbrook is a wanker.
  8. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not to forget

[​IMG]
  9. boy60

boy60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    pm sent:freaky
  10. The Bigfella

The Bigfella Big Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was following a couple of sidecars last Sunday and one went all "funny" on a corner.

[​IMG]

I've been toying with the idea of building a sidecar for next year's Scrapheap Adventure Ride. I've got a Shovelhead rolling chassis that is probably solid enough to dump some other sort of engine into. Hmmm....
  11. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.
    Of course I'm fishing! Why ask a question if you don't want some answers?:ear

Ask in the oz forum, well 'cause I want the answer relating to us, not u.s.

'should' be, Chris? how about 'could' be?

Adrian is correct, though.

There are heaps of widely held opinions about this that and the other that people, like Adrian, hear. Often they are just throw away lines, but if you are new to the game, how can you tell?

Ok, Great Grumpy

Dare I say a darling Dusting?

Not to mention the Gnome!
    Titillating Tillbrook? (my apology for somehow being a wanker)

:fyyff
  12. RoadBandit

RoadBandit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been putting this one together for a while now. Getting close to sorted but not quite there yet.
    I had a go at building my own link too... reckon I got it about 80% right first off :D

Tis now the family wagon .... and it needs a paint job...

[​IMG]
  13. boy60

boy60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    why cant we(sidecarists) have our own Aus. Thread. All the others do(Dr650,Ktm950,1200 Yamaha, etc) you get my point.

[​IMG]

Give me a pm adventuredave. I live in Toowoomba. This is my ride at the moment. My brother and I bought it together.
  14. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:

No worries. At least you are man enough to own up to it. And admitting it is half the cure, so I'm told.:lol3
  15. Hytram

Hytram crash test dummy

Oddometer:
    I have a 91 GSX1100G with a double chair on it

[​IMG]

I have also have a 81 CB900 with a single DJP and 2 basket case CB900's for sale for $2500... unfinished project, runs and isnt in bad nick for its age... but needs work. I will post up some details in FS thread over the next week
  16. TouringDave

Oddometer:
    What say we (Melbourne-ites) all get together one day for meet and greet?

Just gimme a couple of weeks to get the Strom back on 3 wheels :D
  17. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Sidecars don't need to be three-wheeled cars:

Attached Files:

JohnG. likes this.
  18. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    can be ridden with screen closed or open:

Attached Files:

19. "A"

"A" numbum

Oddometer:
    So Adrian,
    What's the go with the trip to Jerramungup to pick the brain of a known "Chair" guru who resides there?
  20. Clancy

Clancy Long timer

Oddometer:
    :ear This could be fun:evil