Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2011, 06:42 AM   #151
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Oddometer: 994
9/6/11 (Tuesday)
Maintenance day

Woke up today at 7:30am started yesterdays ride report and researched room rates for the evening. I found the best rate at the red stone inn and promptly booked it. Moab is a very touristy places so rooms at a good rate can be hard to get.

With that off my list, I call up Moab powersports but they did not have a d606 in stock. Called Mad Bro powersports and they did so I went down and picked it up, threw it over my shoulder and rode back to the sleep inn for the install. The owner of Mad Bro is super nice and the store is spacious. They have a decent amount of tires in stock and I was curious to try a michelin desert or a Kendal trakmaster. Stuck with the 606.*

First I had to get the f outta the room cause 11am was checkout time and I didn't think 30 minutes was enough time for me to comfortably switch out a tire and pack.

And so with all my gear downstairs next to my bike. Beginning at 11am I get to work. Everything was going well with removal and installing the tire.

photo P1000781.jpg

photo P1000781.jpg

photo P1000781.jpg

Observation: if any of you are potential users of tyreguardian tire sealant, I wouldn't recommend it for you off road riders. There too much moisture from airing up and down of the tire for it to seal. In fact, the rear I changed, the compound looked like a maggot farm, and the front, all the solution was clumped in one section at the rear. Save your money. I think if you never change tire pressures it's fine.

As I begin to fill the inner bladder for the tubliss the compressor blows a fuse. As I am changing out the fuse, I here the tire pop and a rush of air escape. Checked with the gauge and the pressure went from 43 psi before the blown fuse to 3 psi. My worst fear... The tubliss bladder has failed.

At first I wasn't in the mood to remove the tire, and I thought "hey Moab powersports is across the street, why don't I take it over there and let someone else solve my problem. Worse comes to worst I can install a regular tube.

But then I slap myself (not literally) and buckle down. I needed to see for myself where this leak is. I pull the tire and the tubliss system and inpect the inner bladder to find a small hole. It didn't appear to be from a tire iron pinch. It resembled a bicycle tube with the numbers 24 x 1.0, so my wheels started turning a I called up some of the bike shops in town. No one in town had a tube that small with most having 24 x 2.0. A guy from moab cyclery told me that size is for a kids size bike. He said it was easy to patch though and they was great to hear.*

Before exploring that option, I went across the street to Moab powersports and spoke to TJ the owner thinking maybe he had a patch kit. At first he asked what size tube i needed and I thought he meant a regular tube, but then he walked me over to the shelf which sat 5 or 6 boxes with the tubliss logo emblazoned upon. I was in disbelief and overjoyed. In my head, it was like the cubs won the world series.

photo P1000781.jpg

TJ mentioned that they were difficult to get but Tucker rocky started carrying the inner bladders. Knowing that I will carry a spare front and back on these trips. They pack really small. I bought both an 18 and 21 replacement. Go support TJ at Moab powersports. He obviously knows what the riders needs are by carrying such a rare item. TJ you gotta stock more tires though.

photo P1000781.jpg

photo P1000781.jpg

By 3pm, I had a new front tire. That worked out perfectly as the room at the redstone inn wasn't ready until then.

photo P1000781.jpg

photo P1000781.jpg

After finally cleaning up and relocating I went grabbed a late lunch at a Chinese buffet.

photo P1000781.jpg

It was a bit late to be riding the white tim trail at this point so instead went back to the hotel and started an oil change. It's been 2200 miles since the last. It's probably ok, but I had idle time so why not.

photo P1000781.jpg

As I work, Brian, a 4x4 enthusiast asked if everything was ok. We mingle for a bit and it turns out he was a fellow mississippian. He had this really tricked out jeep cherokee. If I had a 4x4 it would look like his.

photo P1000781.jpg

After changing out the oil and returning the spent to o reillys, I call up inmate Newner (Brian). He had reached out at the behest of inmate fotobo, so I go out to the hostel and he, ralph, tom, and jason (sorry if i got any of these names wrong) were hanging out and shoot the shit over a couple of beers. A couple of hours later and I'm back at the lodge crashed out.

A good end to a day full of chores.

photo P1000781.jpg

photo P1000781.jpg

simonpig screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 08:04 AM
simonpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:52 AM   #152
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,610
reading you log I was thinking, why not try Moab Powersports as they are a dealer for Tubliss. Um, you can't patch those bladders so I've been told.

Good folks at Moab PS, they let us order tires, plus had other things shipped to them. easy to work with.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:11 AM   #153
simonpig OP
packin' heat

To do or not to do (the bypasses) for Nevada. That is the question. Getting geared up now. What do you FFs think?
Old 09-09-2011, 09:21 AM   #154
Johnny55
Banned

Oddometer: 401
Bypass = Less of an Adventure!

Unless of course, the Bypass is more adventurous, which more often then not, is not the case.
Johnny55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:30 AM   #155
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

BY pass what are you a pansy????? Don't let us down!!! DO IT!

Old 09-09-2011, 09:40 AM   #156
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpig View Post
To do or not to do (the bypasses) for Nevada. That is the question. Getting geared up now. What do you FFs think?

If the Wan's can do the full route two-up on a 990, you'd better do the full route too.

Isn't the only bypass the narrows after Baker? It's easy.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:50 AM   #157
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Alright already! Im sure i can do it. Just wondering if the juice was worth squeezing seeing as that everyone who does it just can't wait to get out Nevada.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:53 AM   #158
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,691
Quote:
Alright already! Im sure i can do it. Just wondering if the juice was worth squeezing seeing as that everyone who does it just can't wait to get out Nevada.

Not me, I went back and did the Nevada section a second time just to make sure I was really having fun.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #159
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Hey, you've got to take the good w/ the bad. Really it's worth experiencing. Besides you will really appreciate Oregon when you get there. The 1st stretch is great trees mountains, snow if it's still there at this time of year.

What out for the scrub brush, that stuff is hungry!!!

Old 09-09-2011, 10:07 AM   #160
jthomas82
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Don't Detour

You will regret not going on a section that you could have ridden. Ride On!
Old 09-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #161
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,175
Quote:
If you by-pass the TAT it will be like we are not reading a real TAT adventure anymore.
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:16 AM   #162
TK-LA
SoCal Rider

Oddometer: 572
THIS and....

...THIS are what make ADV riding awesome!!!

Those two pix sum it up...and the first one should be on the front page TODAY
2007 Suzuki GS500f - Don't underestimate (and don't take it in loose rocks!)
2004 Suzuki LS650 "Savage" - Either stolen or ran away from home.
TK-LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:37 PM   #163
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 730
NV is one of the best sections of the TAT. Why would you pass up the route in NV?
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:01 AM   #164
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Yes Nevada is pretty awesome. The ride from baker city to eureka was anyway. Nice single track thrown in there and the ride through sawmill canyon was fab.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:03 AM   #165
simonpig OP
packin' heat

9/7/11 (Wednesday)
Daily mileage: 160 miles
Overall average 20

I kinda made plans to ride the white rim trail with Newner and friends but I overslept by 20 minutes so I texted him and wished upon them a fantastic ride.

photo P1000781.jpg

I spent most of the morning pecking these massive ride reports on my iPhone. Thats how I'm gonna roll from now on.

Some pictures from the morning ride

photo P1000781.jpg

photo P1000781.jpg

photo P1000781.jpg

photo P1000781.jpg

photo P1000781.jpg

photo P1000781.jpg

Today was tough. I got totally and completely lost at mile 192 of Utah. It is the section, where you turn off I-70, open a gate and proceed to the road next to black dragon wash. Someones gotta give the dl on the section. Maybe it's not as difficult when it's dry, but there were so many bowling ball size rocks throughout the trail on top of big boulders, I thought I was riding erzberg enduro. It was smooth in areas but then I would hit a massive rock garden every so often. I wasn't even sure it was the right path. I got off and walked ahead to check several times just to take a breather and to let my clutch cool off. I swore I could smelled something burning. I dropped the bike 4-5 times. There was one section where I got the back wheel stuck behind a rock and almost endoed the wrr from slipping clutch. *I made it maybe half mile through all of this and the trail just ends at the canyon wall. Arghhhhhh. Turned around and at this point I had had enough. Going back was easier than going forward since I sorta knew what to expect. Got back to the black dragon wash sign and tried to figure out where I went wrong. After consulting with the roll chart i couldn't figure it out. Every road going in the general track direction led that canyon, which I might add was freaky and claustrophobic. Throughout that whole section I was afraid I might get stuck. After backtracking, I just decided to take interstate and pick up the trail a bit later on.

Pictures of the aforementioned freaky deaky canyon

photo P1000781.jpg

photo P1000781.jpg

Rocks, rocks and more rocks. Big ones!

photo P1000781.jpg

photo P1000781.jpg

photo P1000781.jpg

The trail ends in a canyon wall. WTF!

photo P1000781.jpg

Eventually I did catch it at the next exit, but I wasted so much time figuring out that section, that next section of canyons I hit, I entered at around 6pm. It was a fun section, but the light was falling, and thanks to a motorcycle track that had been there maybe a day ago, I was somewhat confident I was going where other motorcycles had gone before. The trail also is starting to become very sandy.

photo P1000781.jpg

photo P1000781.jpg

A picture we've all seen before of the Interstate overpass, except that these pictures usually are taken during the mid afternoon.

photo P1000781.jpg

At around 7:15 I started getting worried since it was obvious there wouldn't be signs of life forawhile. The TAT as I have come to experience it so far is an adventure ride that takes you into the sticks and out in sections. There are paved sections (or sections close to pavement) that connect all these together. Well I looked on map and the next connector (gas stop) was about 28 physical miles away which meant closer to 40 miles when you add in the curves of the trail. If I were to continue on I wouldn't hit civilization until 9pm at the earliest. Very troubling as I remember Sam warning us not to get caught in the backcountry after dark.

photo P1000781.jpg

photo P1000781.jpg

As I ride on in hopes of maybe finding a suitable camping area, I make a turn over a hilly rocky section which opens up into what looks like a baby grand canyon. Bingo this is where I will camp. The view is amazing and though I don't think you are allowed to camp, I had no other choice. The other option would be wrought with unnecessary risk.

photo P1000781.jpg

photo P1000781.jpg

Luckily I filled up both my platypus water bottles and camelbak before heading out. Dragonwash took away my whole camelbak and then some, so for dinner and water for the rest of the evening, I made sure to ration away at least 1 liter for the ride out.

I set up camp before dark and prepare dinner via jetboil and a pack of mountain house food. I have the gratifying feeling of preparedness as I brush and floss after dinner.*

It's is 10pm and I am typing this as I stand on the of the canyon. The moon is 3/4 full and delicately illuminating the canyon's features. *I don't use my headlamp because the moon is so bright. Glad its not the new moon. It's incredibly peaceful and only the sound of insects permeate through this gigantic crevice. no coyotes or mountain lions, and for sure, no bears. Knock on wood.

simonpig screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 08:08 AM