ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2011, 08:29 AM   #166
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter
 
BigDogAdventures's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Mt. Vernon, Illinois
Oddometer: 4,627
Nevada

Don't by-pass anything in Nevada-----it was by far my favorite state of the whole TAT.


And you may run into these guys.

__________________
WR250R 2008
KTM EXC 450 2006
Husqvarna TR650 Terra 2013
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:38 AM   #167
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT
 
One Less Harley's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Bowling Green, Ky
Oddometer: 4,575
I would guess your ridding skill is about what mine was. You're experience of Black Dragon mirrors mine, I was with two other guys and it was still a bitch. It was very hard to find the entrance to the canyon, Ken got us tot he right spot. It was a long task. We had to scout out and build rock ramps to clear some stuff. We finally made it though, but in my mind I didn't know if we were on the right track.


Somewhere around Nevada MM 385 (here in my RR) you'll get to a water crossing. The creek is a little high in spots, don't cross here but go up stream maybe 15-25 yards and cross there. It's not as steep, but a little tight on the left side. Trees have been cleared away for you.

NV MM 543 one hell of a rock climb, your gonna love it!!


After the creek crossing things open up for a bit, but then it gets tight a scrub brush....he, he, he...

Winnemuca Has a Yamaha dealer, if you need something
__________________
2004 BMW R1150RS
1984 BMW R80G/S
(wrenching index)
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)


One Less Harley screwed with this post 09-10-2011 at 09:09 AM
One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:46 AM   #168
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime
 
DougZ73's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: NJ
Oddometer: 6,607
Try not to stress over things. Sometimes, we are our own worst enemy. Worrying is one of those things that snowball quickly. Have faith in the knowledge that others have gone and done what you are doing and made it OK.

Those are also the moments that we contemplate bailing, but when we don't and finally make it through, we look back and go, " nah, I guess it was not that bad.".

Rock on and ride safe.
__________________
Skyline Drive 11/2010 , Catskills 2010 trip, Catskills 2011 , Southern TNJT, 2011
DougZ's MTB thread , DZ Moto Photo Bloggin' , (my) Learning photography thread, DougZ vids
- Ryder Joseph Z. , Born 11/26/12-- the next Adventure: Grayson Hunter Z., born 5/3/14
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:42 AM   #169
Johnny55
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Right Here, Right Now
Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post

And you may run into these guys.


Holy shit, is that Wyatt Earp and Doc Holiday?!?!
Johnny55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:49 AM   #170
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter
 
BigDogAdventures's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Mt. Vernon, Illinois
Oddometer: 4,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny55 View Post
Holy shit, is that Wyatt Earp and Doc Holiday?!?!
That picture is almost my favorite picture of me and GasPipes Western TAT. Out in the middle of nowhere we had just opened and closed a wire gate---and there they were.

Mark
__________________
WR250R 2008
KTM EXC 450 2006
Husqvarna TR650 Terra 2013
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:53 AM   #171
Johnny55
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Right Here, Right Now
Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
That picture is almost my favorite picture of me and GasPipes Western TAT. Out in the middle of nowhere we had just opened and closed a wire gate---and there they were.

Mark

That is wicked! That looks like something straight out of the 1880's! I love the suits. Did you talk to them at all?
Johnny55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #172
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter
 
BigDogAdventures's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Mt. Vernon, Illinois
Oddometer: 4,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny55 View Post
That is wicked! That looks like something straight out of the 1880's! I love the suits. Did you talk to them at all?
We did make small talk with them------It was so remote--and we just went thru a gate----at first I was weary we were off course and trespassing. But they just kind of slowly rode by and tipped their cowboy hats as we sat there with our motors off so as not to scare the horses. It was so surreal watching them approaching us from far away. The whole scene made us feel it was 1840. I'll never forget it.

The movie "Brokeback Mountain" had just come out----I think that crossed our minds

Mark
__________________
WR250R 2008
KTM EXC 450 2006
Husqvarna TR650 Terra 2013
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 09-10-2011 at 12:46 PM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:38 PM   #173
simonpig OP
packin' heat
 
simonpig's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 929
Nevada. Why you messin' with me.

 photo P1000781.jpg

simonpig screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 08:09 AM
simonpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:43 PM   #174
rj72
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny55 View Post
Holy shit, is that Wyatt Earp and Doc Holiday?!?!
lmao!

I was going to say Pale Rider :P
__________________
Motorcycle Insurance
rj72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #175
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT
 
One Less Harley's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Bowling Green, Ky
Oddometer: 4,575
looks like some muddy shit..... Glad we talked you into it, aren't you happy!!! Good thing your packing light at least it looks that way. Can't wait to read about it.
__________________
2004 BMW R1150RS
1984 BMW R80G/S
(wrenching index)
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)


One Less Harley screwed with this post 09-10-2011 at 09:09 PM
One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #176
simonpig OP
packin' heat
 
simonpig's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 929
The chum is in the water. pictures are up for post #135. gonna pull some overtime to get caught up.
simonpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:52 PM   #177
AJxr
#395
 
AJxr's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Clinton Corners, NY
Oddometer: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpig View Post
Nevada. Why you messin' with me.

envious would be an understatement!
__________________
12 CRF250X - 01 CR250R

What would Magoo do?
AJxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:57 PM   #178
simonpig OP
packin' heat
 
simonpig's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 929
Corresponding pictures added. See updated post #140.
simonpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:14 PM   #179
simonpig OP
packin' heat
 
simonpig's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 929
Wise words. I'm not worried about the ride. Most times, I'm able to overcome the obstacle if I take it a step at a time, and ride smart.

There have been 2 occasions where there might've been cause for concern. Both times was when my leg was caught under the bike, and I had almost no leverage too push it off me. Was able to get out after great effort.

Its not the big crashes, or the flying off a mountain, that I'm worried about. Its the really simple thing like that -- the "help, I've fallen and I can't get up moments."


Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Try not to stress over things. Sometimes, we are our own worst enemy. Worrying is one of those things that snowball quickly. Have faith in the knowledge that others have gone and done what you are doing and made it OK.

Those are also the moments that we contemplate bailing, but when we don't and finally make it through, we look back and go, " nah, I guess it was not that bad.".

Rock on and ride safe.
simonpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #180
simonpig OP
packin' heat
 
simonpig's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 929
Thumb

Thanks for the heads up. Great info. I will put these as waypoints as watchouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
I would guess your ridding skill is about what mine was. You're experience of Black Dragon mirrors mine, I was with two other guys and it was still a bitch. It was very hard to find the entrance to the canyon, Ken got us tot he right spot. It was a long task. We had to scout out and build rock ramps to clear some stuff. We finally made it though, but in my mind I didn't know if we were on the right track.


Somewhere around Nevada MM 385 (here in my RR) you'll get to a water crossing. The creek is a little high in spots, don't cross here but go up stream maybe 15-25 yards and cross there. It's not as steep, but a little tight on the left side. Trees have been cleared away for you.

NV MM 543 one hell of a rock climb, your gonna love it!!


After the creek crossing things open up for a bit, but then it gets tight a scrub brush....he, he, he...

Winnemuca Has a Yamaha dealer, if you need something
simonpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014