Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2011, 05:11 PM   #241
Tompound
M.M.S. Tommy

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpig View Post

Also did the business card fork seal trick. (It didn't work, but I'm going to have another go at it with the wipers pulled down)

Photobucket
t
you need to pull the dust seal down first and the oil seal is up in the tube about 1/4"
I have always used tear offs to clean mine out but the card should work
just pry that first seal out of your way and push it back in place after you clean the oil seal hope this helps
TET 2012 and then some
TWVT 2012
Tompound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:27 PM   #242
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,500
Quote:
Thinking ahead, any recommendation on an ideal campground near Port Orford to end this amazing journey. Somewhere wild... somewhere fierce! Just kiddin'.

If I could ride to it on the beach that would be awesome too. Kinda like the last celebratory stage of the Paris Dakar riding next to the Lake.
Me and Gaspipe rode our bikes on the beach----gaspipe buried his Honda (on purpose)----I've heard others getting chastised for doing this if getting caught.

Mark

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:45 PM   #243
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,419
I had Sam's GPS coordinates for the beach which weren't right as they were at some beach houses w/ not beech access. Follow the main road to the boat harbor and you can camp on the beach. There are a couple of RV parks on the main drag.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:46 PM   #244
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Me and Gaspipe rode our bikes on the beach----gaspipe buried his Honda (on purpose)----I've heard others getting chastised for doing this if getting caught.

Mark
Yeah no driving on the beach.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:58 PM   #245
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,855
A little south of town we crossed a small bridge and saw an ATV riding towards the beach. There was a well worn ATV track there under or next to the bridge. We tried to follow it but the sand was so dry and loose and deep that we couldn't keep forward motion even while going downhill. i thought I was gonna burn up my clutch trying to go back 100 feet or so. No beach pics for us.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:20 PM   #246
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 696
now it's all downhill to the OR beach, well sort of with a few minor cascade and coast range bumps...again really enjoying your RR

not sure about an epic place to stay, but driving on the beach should be allowed for the most part around PortO. Nothing like a good beach cruise. Last scene of planet of the apes where Heston and the girl are on beach and ride off on horse back.

As OR state mandate, the public must have access to their beach, although driving is restricted in many areas.

Here's some OR State Park aerial maps (pdf file) that show the legal places you can drive on beach; around Orford, north of orford, south of orford (drive legend on left side of map)
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:59 PM   #247
simonpig OP
Packin' Heat

Oddometer: 861
That's pretty fantastic. Gonna try for the boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post
Not sure about camping, but AirborneAndy stayed on a boat when he got to Port Orford:

(his post is here )

P.S. your pics have been fantastic! Now aren't you glad you did all of Nevada?
simonpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:14 AM   #248
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,101
Just curious how the IMS 3.1 worked in Nevada? Was it sufficient or did you need to tap into your extra fuel?
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:06 AM   #249
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,612
No riding on the beach? I thought that was mandatory for finishing the TAT.

According to this Port Orford website, it's legal: click
quote from that link:
In Oregon the beaches are public, and you can drive on them...
Motoring on the beaches is an Oregon tradition dating back to the late 1800s when the motors were horses drawing wagons.
In 1913 Governor Oswald West persuaded the legislature to protect all beaches from developers by declaring them a highway.
The Beach Bill finally assured the status of Oregon's beaches as public property.

You can see that there were plenty of tire tracks on the beach when we were there.
(pic from 2010. also did it in 2009)
Quote:
That's pretty fantastic. Gonna try for the boat.
Very cool, I hope it works out!
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:48 AM   #250
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Guess riding on the beach is legal if you can't read. There is a sign stating no riding.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:31 AM   #251
simonpig OP
Packin' Heat

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post
Not sure about camping, but AirborneAndy stayed on a boat when he got to Port Orford:

(his post is here )

P.S. your pics have been fantastic! Now aren't you glad you did all of Nevada?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo? View Post
Just curious how the IMS 3.1 worked in Nevada? Was it sufficient or did you need to tap into your extra fuel?
The ims 3.1 was enough for me. I didn't have to use any fuel bottles either. If you have a gps and are one step ahead of where the next gas stop is you'll be fine.

On the other hand if you're using roll charts you might need a bigger tank. It's for when you burn up fuel because you're really lost and finding your way.
simonpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:17 PM   #252
td301
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I finished TAT first week of Sept. I rode on the beach and then asked locals. They said everybody drives on the beach. Sign says you have to have a "disabled" tag or license, etc. I spent a good 30 min there and no probs. Rode down the beach through the gap in rocks and then turned around couple hundred yards later.

Griff's has good fish and chips on Dock Rd. It's down by the boats. (Navy retiree and wife on holiday bought my lunch after he asked what I was up to. )

I've got pics similar to yours, some the same. Camped in park behind The Owl in Eureka too. Slept well after visiting the bar. NV was dry for me. Watch for two barbed wire gates in OR that are not well marked. The second one is just before Silver Lake is not marked well at all. Nearly ended my trip. Rode to Portland along coast and was foggy both days, all day, the whole way. Hope viz was better for you.
td301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:22 PM   #253
Hypermofo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
After riding in the dark in the bushes for about half an hour, I hit an open gravel road and am relieved. The moon is behind me and almost full keeping me company as I blast into the night. There something I really enjoy about riding in moonlight. Feel like I can ride all night without worry. Probably irresponsible, but I cut my headlights off on an open stretch of gravel for about 10 seconds and could still see the road and my shadow cast from the moon behind me. I would turn around and see the trail of dust kicked up moonlit, too freaking cool to express in words.
Simonpig - great ride, great report! This is my favorite TAT RR in a long while. Some how you put it all together very well with the right amount of pics and words all from a phone and busted laptop. The passage above is my favorite - not only can i visualize it i can FEEL it and it's just awesome.

Ride safe!

HM
Old 09-16-2011, 09:58 PM   #254
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by td301 View Post
I finished TAT first week of Sept. I rode on the beach and then asked locals. They said everybody drives on the beach. Sign says you have to have a "disabled" tag or license, etc. I spent a good 30 min there and no probs. Rode down the beach through the gap in rocks and then turned around couple hundred yards later.

Griff's has good fish and chips on Dock Rd. It's down by the boats. (Navy retiree and wife on holiday bought my lunch after he asked what I was up to. )

I've got pics similar to yours, some the same. Camped in park behind The Owl in Eureka too. Slept well after visiting the bar. NV was dry for me. Watch for two barbed wire gates in OR that are not well marked. The second one is just before Silver Lake is not marked well at all. Nearly ended my trip. Rode to Portland along coast and was foggy both days, all day, the whole way. Hope viz was better for you.
Any Mile marker notes that you can add for those mystery/dangerous barbed wire fences.
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:08 AM   #255
Johnny55
Banned

Oddometer: 401
Congrats Simon, where are you going to go now?!
Johnny55 is offline   Reply With Quote