User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #406
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Oddometer: 930
This one is bi-polar.

TAT 2011 - Part 5: September 5--9 (Colorado to Nevada)

simonpig screwed with this post 09-26-2013 at 11:16 PM
simonpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #407
MCCOYBOY
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Well I've read your RR twice now and I can't take it any longer. My better half and daughter are flying to CO at the end of the month and I am thinking about riding the TAT out to them. Worst part is I will be on a time restraint but I still want to at least get my feet wet and maybe do the whole trip next year.

I have the bike and gear, just need a larger tank. I'll be on my xr600 and will have 3-4 days to make it from TN-CO. Can it be done? I plan to use GPS only. Thanks for your any advice you can give. LOVE the videos.
MCCOYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #408
simonpig OP
packin' heat

I wouldn't recommend it in 4 days. It's obviously possible, but you'd be running at race (illegal) pace and from the crack of dawn to twilight 12-14 hour days. Probably need to be wearing adult daipers and a sneaky leaker too to shave off precious minutes.

Forget taking pictures or leisure lunches or having a conversation with anybody, you are an island.

If you need to ride the bike to them anyway, I would slab it until at least the beginning of Oklahoma—it's mostly straight and flat there, so less time lost vs. droning on the interstate, except that there is no traffic and your bike loves dirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCCOYBOY View Post
Well I've read your RR twice now and I can't take it any longer. My better half and daughter are flying to CO at the end of the month and I am thinking about riding the TAT out to them. Worst part is I will be on a time restraint but I still want to at least get my feet wet and maybe do the whole trip next year.

I have the bike and gear, just need a larger tank. I'll be on my xr600 and will have 3-4 days to make it from TN-CO. Can it be done? I plan to use GPS only. Thanks for your any advice you can give. LOVE the videos.

simonpig screwed with this post 09-12-2013 at 08:24 PM
Old 09-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #409
MCCOYBOY
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpig View Post
I wouldn't recommend it in 4 days. It's obviously possible, but you'd be running at race (illegal) pace and from the crack of dawn to twilight 12-14 hour days. Probably need to be wearing adult daipers and a sneaky leaker too to shave off precious minutes.

Forget taking pictures or leisure lunches or having a conversation with anybody, you are an island.

If you need to ride the bike to them anyway, I would slab it until at least the beginning of Oklahoma—it's mostly straight and flat there, so less time lost vs. droning on the interstate, except that there is no traffic and your bike loves dirt.
Lol.... Thanks for the info. Guess I'll do my usual routine and wait till the last minute to make a decision.
MCCOYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #410
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Nevada. Zen for days!

TAT 2011 - Part 6: September 9 (Nevada)

simonpig screwed with this post 10-01-2013 at 12:15 PM
Old 09-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #411
kb5zcr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Very cool videos. A couple of questions.
Did you ever see anyone else riding the tat actually on the trail in Nevada, not ranchers and stuff but other tat riders?
Also, how much of the tat would you say is actually single track (black dragon looked that way), I'm thinking about doing it with a sidecar rig someday and it looks like the vast majority of it is narrow double track but there are some places that are single.

Thanks, T
kb5zcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:55 AM   #412
NWBoon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Great ride report!

Thanks for the excellent ride report and pictures. You and several others on here have me saving up for a WR250R!
NWBoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:06 AM   #413
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb5zcr View Post
Very cool videos. A couple of questions.
Did you ever see anyone else riding the tat actually on the trail in Nevada, not ranchers and stuff but other tat riders?
Also, how much of the tat would you say is actually single track (black dragon looked that way), I'm thinking about doing it with a sidecar rig someday and it looks like the vast majority of it is narrow double track but there are some places that are single.

Thanks, T
No I didn't see anyone except … wait, I did see a couple of ATV riders before the vast hills in nevada where I got a flat, otherwise, not a soul really. It's a bit of a mindf*ck when I thought about it too much how empty the place was, just kept my head down and rode.

Black dragon was full of boulders, but I was maybe also riding in the wash vs. next to it, but I wouldn't want to do it on a side car.

Single track, 1'd say almost 1 percent—out of 4,500 ish miles total, thats about 30 miles at best. There's an ATV/MC park at the western part of Utah that is somewhat tight and steep in sections. And then there is the one I filmed in Nevada.

You wouldn't want to do those sections in a side car.

simonpig screwed with this post 09-16-2013 at 11:25 PM
Old 09-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #414
flyfire58
Put the monkey to it

Oddometer: 20
Awesome RR!!

Thanks for putting all the work in putting this together. Inspiring entertaining read. Great pics! I'm getting ideas now...
flyfire58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #415
zekester63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfire58 View Post
Thanks for putting all the work in putting this together. Inspiring entertaining read. Great pics! I'm getting ideas now...
Ditto! I read this report "live" and I must say (also owning a WRR) that this RR has been quite the inspiration for me wanting to do the TAT. I'm hoping to do at least part of it next year. I reread this whole report again last week and am enjoying the recent videos you've posted.

Thanks, and Happy Riding!
Old 09-18-2013, 07:00 AM   #416
ChrisP11
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Wow, what a great report, especially for an aspiring solo TAT rider such as myself.

A couple of questions if you don't mind (hopefully I didn't miss)

Did you have anything set up on your bike to charge your phone, GPS, computer; or did you do your re-charging in the motels?

As far as camping vs motels, it seemed you were inclined to stay motels when at all possible. If you had wanted to camp more, would that have been possible?

Thanks
ChrisP11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:19 AM   #417
ChrisP11
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Just re-read and see the Burns Moto USB. I will definitely be installing one of these.

Can you comment on any mounting systems you used for your GPS and/or phone?

Thanks
ChrisP11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #418
simonpig OP
packin' heat

There was a 3-4 day heat wave in the great plains and it was a hot summer so I stayed in hotels.

Definitely you can save a lot of moneys by camping. The link to the TAT thread below is by inmate One Less Harley who camped the whole way. One of the guys who rode with him hotel'ed it concurrently.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696855

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisP11 View Post
Wow, what a great report, especially for an aspiring solo TAT rider such as myself.

A couple of questions if you don't mind (hopefully I didn't miss)

Did you have anything set up on your bike to charge your phone, GPS, computer; or did you do your re-charging in the motels?

As far as camping vs motels, it seemed you were inclined to stay motels when at all possible. If you had wanted to camp more, would that have been possible?

Thanks
Old 09-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #419
simonpig OP
packin' heat

The Burn's Motos one are good, but can be expensive if you need 2 outlets. If you want a cheaper alternative, use your Battery tender SAE pigtail. I had old powerlet cigarette lighter plug lying around, so I connected the other end to a SAE with correct polarity and then use a Griffin Powerjolt Dual USB Lighter Plug.

For GPS mounts, use RAM Mounting System. They make a cradle for everything imaginable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisP11 View Post
Just re-read and see the Burns Moto USB. I will definitely be installing one of these.

Can you comment on any mounting systems you used for your GPS and/or phone?

Thanks
Old 09-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #420
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Go for it.

Read a bit of your Roxy Report and curious how it was going from a KX250f to the WRX/R?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekester63 View Post
Ditto! I read this report "live" and I must say (also owning a WRR) that this RR has been quite the inspiration for me wanting to do the TAT. I'm hoping to do at least part of it next year. I reread this whole report again last week and am enjoying the recent videos you've posted.

Thanks, and Happy Riding!