Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2011, 09:32 AM   #106
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpig View Post
Anyone want to ride Moab with me on Tuesday 9/6? Can't miss this slice of dirtbike heaven and wold appreciate anyone showing me an insiders view of the trails. I'm not a super hardcore enduro guy, but I do enjoy a good challenge. Hit me up on PM.
I"ve ridden around Moab a lot------and all over Utah-----and have to say if you were to ride only one trail in Moab it should be the White Rim Trail. It's a 130 mile all day ride from Moab---ride the trail---and get back. It's will be very easy on your WR-------big bikes do it---but it will be much easier and way more fun on the WR.

ONe thing tho--------there was a huge washout on the trail about a year ago--------I don't think it's fixed---you may only be able to ride to it and turn around--------the scenery is the best there is. You can ride this alone without worries.
You will have no trouble finding it------or navigating it by just asking around or picking up a map.

A lot of stuff there is really hard core---don't get sucked into that stuff----that's for dedicated dirt bikes---unladen with gear for riders riding around in circles.
Your ride is much bigger than that.

Here's me in about 2000 I think on the white rim ------on a DRZ400S.

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #107
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,178
Simon,

Great RR.

Love all the notes and details of your trip.

I am researching the TAT for ride one day myself, so your RR is very nice and helpful to read.

In researching I have read 50/50 reports of Arrow MotoSports (Fred), in Moab UT.

Try another shop in the Moab area that was a solution when Arrow has not worked out for some other TAT'ers

- Moab hit up, Mad Bro Sports 1805 S Hwy 191, 435-259-6232, for a tire.
Callahan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:25 PM   #108
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,617
Moab Powersports, good little shop and the owner is very pleasant..and pleasant to look at too!!
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:35 PM   #109
fotobo
KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,587
Very good advice from BigDog. That would be my recommendation too. It would be just right on the WR even if it is loaded. There are some trails there that you would not really want to ride by yourself on a loaded dirtbike. White rim was my favorite ride there anyway.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:38 PM   #110
Johnny55
Banned

Oddometer: 401
Hey!

Thanks for the impromptu invite to Lake City. I had a great time. I was obviously not prepared for an over night ride!

Had a great time "Simon" That valley was awesome, especially right at sunset. Good luck man, have a safe trip! If you come back thru Colorado, let me know!
Johnny55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:03 AM   #111
KCTom
Rocky Mountain High

Oddometer: 2
Thanks for the support up Cinnamon Pass yesterday I had a great day. I ended up staying in Silverton for the night, it was just too nice. Wasn't ready to head to Phoenix yet. I saw you ride up the street but couldn't catch your attention. Hope the rest of your day was good. I'll be following your thread.
KCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:22 AM   #112
AJxr

Oddometer: 927
you will be riding my dream spot on my birthday.... envious to say the least. great RR so far.

What would Magoo do?
AJxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:47 AM   #113
Bleary
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Simonpig, thanks for taking the time out to post the photo's and the write up. I really appreciate it. Right now I am nursing a heel injury and it's fun to follow along.
Bleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:54 PM   #114
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Oddometer: 999
Bummer. My central communication hub is down. The screen on my aspire netbook is cracked. No more in depth live posting for now. Sux. Wanted to catch up on the mx nationals on YouTube and discovered this. Damn! This changes my whole game. Now I have to use roll charts.
simonpig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:29 AM   #115
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

crap your screwed using the roll charts...

What gps are you using? Does this mean no more updates???

Old 09-06-2011, 05:39 AM   #116
rudyunknown
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
no sweat dude....just find a place to ship the new netbook.....i can buy it online and send it to the address.....i am sure there might be some local ADVrider who might share the broadband for you...
Vstrom 1000 For everything else

rudyunknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:23 AM   #117
bcs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpig View Post
Bummer. My central communication hub is down. The screen on my aspire netbook is cracked. No more in depth live posting for now. Sux. Wanted to catch up on the mx nationals on YouTube and discovered this. Damn! This changes my whole game. Now I have to use roll charts.
How did it break? In a get-off?
I know the netbooks are a popular solution for moto travels, but they are subject to impacts, prolonged vibration, etc. I was wondering how well they hold up. or is there a backup plan. I guess even if you carried your tracks on a thumb drive as a backup, you still wouldn't have the mapsource app to load them ot the gps.
This is a possible breakdown i hadn't thought about. I worry about tires, chain, all the usual parts taht break--not the computer. good luck!
bcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:12 AM   #118
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Mustve been next to a hardpart tool and broke the screen. Several solutions possible here. One is I find a bestbuy purchase a replacement, do open heart and swap out the old hard drive to the new computer of the same model. Problem is that the operating system might be linked to the bios? I know this possible on a Mac but not sure on a pc. Would just need some small screwdrivers I could get in Moab at the Radioshack.

Other possibility is that I stop along the way trail to closely inmates and hook up to an external monitor and mouse. The computer is working I just can't see anything it's displaying. I would just need an adapter for those of you with hdmi or newer hookups. The computer uses standard VGA Plug.

I can still update but there might be "this post is useless without picture" icons up all over, and we can't be havin that.

Ok off to Moab powersports for a new front tire.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:15 AM   #119
simonpig OP
packin' heat

I shoulda bought a panasonic toughbook w8. They should be rugged enough to handle the Tat. I cheaped out and bought the acer instead. Its plastic and the screen is way flexy. Shoulda gone for broke on this one.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:51 AM   #120
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

I bought a cheap refurbed ACER and new better than putting it in one of the soft saddle bags. Put it in the duffel where it survived 5000 TAT miles various dumps and rocky roads. Had it in a little padded cordura bag. Had lighter softer items packed in w/ it. If it took a hit on the rear rack then I'd probably have more serious things to worry about...