Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #121
Rcrx21
02 KLR650; 02 KDX220

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpig View Post
I can still update but there might be "this post is useless without picture" icons up all over, and we can't be havin that.

Ok off to Moab powersports for a new front tire.
Download the Photobucket App to your smartphone, take pictures with your phone, upload them using wifi when you find a hotspot and post to adv all from the phone. I did my whole Key West trip that way. The pictures wont be as good as the camera but at least it will contain pictures!
Rcrx21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #122
fotobo
KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,584
Sorry to hear about your computer problems. I assume you must have the rest of your tracks in the netbook and cannot download them to your gps. Four guys I know from Tulsa (adv guys) are currently in Moab I believe. Not sure if they have a computer with them, but you might check. They said they are staying at a Hostel at the South end of town ($12 a night). I believe they are on a couple of DRs, a KLR and a Husky. Look them up they may be able to help you if they have a lap top. They said in their ride report that they are going to Woody's tavern tonight.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:55 PM   #123
KTMitch640
KTMitch640

Oddometer: 94
Great RR. Was good to meet you and Jeff in Lake City and suprised to see you again on Ophr pass. We made it back to NM on monday, had a great ride. Sorry to hear about your notebook. I'll be watching your progress.... b safe...
71 Honda CT110
70 Honda Trail 70
77 Honda Trail70 (parts bike)
78 Honda CB550K (pre-cafe)
07 KTM 950 SE-R
KTMitch640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #124
Johnny55
Banned

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Bummer. My central communication hub is down. The screen on my aspire netbook is cracked. No more in depth live posting for now. Sux. Wanted to catch up on the mx nationals on YouTube and discovered this. Damn! This changes my whole game. Now I have to use roll charts.

That sucks, how ironic is it that we were talking about that very thing happening just 2 days ago! Good luck with the ride! Have fun.
Johnny55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:06 PM   #125
Johnny55
Banned

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMitch640 View Post
Great RR. Was good to meet you and Jeff in Lake City and suprised to see you again on Ophr pass. We made it back to NM on monday, had a great ride. Sorry to hear about your notebook. I'll be watching your progress.... b safe...

NIce meeting you too Mitch. How was the ride?
Johnny55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:42 PM   #126
derrickbwg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
I can still update but there might be "this post is useless without picture" icons up all over, and we can't be havin that.
I've not been here long...but long enough to know that you got that right

You've come this far, you'll figure it out....just one more good story that can be told around the campfire.
derrickbwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:48 PM   #127
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Oddometer: 930
Tire change. It wasn't without incident and with luck on my side was able to get replacement parts. Helped that my hotel was across the street from Moab powersport. Tj, you da man.

photo P1000641.jpg

simonpig screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 07:55 AM
simonpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:53 PM   #128
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcrx21 View Post
Download the Photobucket App to your smartphone, take pictures with your phone, upload them using wifi when you find a hotspot and post to adv all from the phone. I did my whole Key West trip that way. The pictures wont be as good as the camera but at least it will contain pictures!
Yep. That's what I'm doing. It's not going to chock full of beautiful pictures but better that it is live I suppose. Then post the heavy journal when I get back with more pictures.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:23 PM   #129
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,576
if you can't retreive you coordinates for the TAT I can send you mine. Nevada will be off as there were no coordinates so it was a lot of guess work. PM me if you need it.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:48 PM   #130
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Thanks for the tip. I'll have dinner there tonight and maybe I'll run into them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotobo View Post
Sorry to hear about your computer problems. I assume you must have the rest of your tracks in the netbook and cannot download them to your gps. Four guys I know from Tulsa (adv guys) are currently in Moab I believe. Not sure if they have a computer with them, but you might check. They said they are staying at a Hostel at the South end of town ($12 a night). I believe they are on a couple of DRs, a KLR and a Husky. Look them up they may be able to help you if they have a lap top. They said in their ride report that they are going to Woody's tavern tonight.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #131
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Thank for the offer. I still couldn't put them on my gps without city navigator and for that I need a computer. I remember having to install trip and waypoint manager before installing city navigator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
if you can't retreive you coordinates for the TAT I can send you mine. Nevada will be off as there were no coordinates so it was a lot of guess work. PM me if you need it.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:19 PM   #132
fotobo
KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,584
If you can find my buddies and they have a lap top, I could email the tracks to them and they could download them to your gps. Let me know if you find them and I will be glad to do so.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:06 PM   #133
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Late lunch. Feeling a little homesick for my neighborhood Chinese joint, I feast on a late lunch at the schezuan garden.

photo P1000841.jpg

photo P1000841.jpg

simonpig screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 07:56 AM
Old 09-06-2011, 04:37 PM   #134
simonpig OP
packin' heat

9/4/11 (Sunday)
Daily mileage: 140 miles
Overall average: 10mph

Woke up this morning at 6:30 am and started typing on yesterdays ride report. Jeff woke up as I was putting the finishing touches on it and we went out on the town to grab some breakfast. The town of Lake City is a very nice place. Theres a small town feel and it doesn’t have the touristy feel of Silverton.

photo P1000781.jpg

Hey you're dog right. I like your coat. Tibetan Terrier...cool dog.

photo P1000781.jpg

We happened upon a coffee shop and I got a cinnamon roll and a coffee. We ran into a couple of guys, Mitch and Dave, on KTM 950 Super Enduros who were taking the labor day weekend to travel around Colorado for riding and camping. I would later run into them again up on Olphir Pass.

photo P1000781.jpg

After breakfast, Jeff decided to head back to Taylor Park, since he was already about 150 miles from his basecamp. I continue on to Cinnamon Pass. Today was all about savoring the ride, shooting the shit and breathing the scenery. That’s why my overall average is a measly 10pmh.

Cristobol Lake

photo P1000781.jpg

photo P1000781.jpg

Cinnamon Pass was really good. It was challenging enough to make it feel like an adventure for sure. A quarter of the ways up, I see a KTM 950 Adventure parked on even ground contemplating the decision to go up. I pull up and introduce myself. Tom, the rider, was packed with full luggage and wasn’t sure if he wanted to go up on such a heavy bike, so I offered to ride behind him and he dropped it, I could help him lift it. Seemed like a shame for a brother to make it so far up and not go all the way. He did make it up all the way without my help, and thanked me at the top. No problem, Tom, you da man.

photo P1000781.jpg

Up on Cinnamon pass, taking portraits, Mark and Chad, on 300XCW and XR600R, stopped to talk. They were looking to tear up on single track and had a trail map. Throughout the day, I would see many dirtbike on the trail and that made me feel warm and fuzzy. I also saw many Jeeps and 4x4s, at point there would be a Jeep traffic jam. I went down once on a steep downhill trying to get around a 4x4 going uphill on a narrow track. The rocks were so loose, there was no traction. I would go down once more when the rear broke loose on a fine grit downhill corner – again very low speed. For the steepdowns, you have to be geared low, and to be sure to use both brakes -- the front, 1 finger light. The rear only won’t cut it, but I’m sure most of you know it.

photo P1000781.jpg

photo P1000781.jpg

The landscape of course was just too much to take in. Everywhere there was something for your eyes to devour.

photo P1000781.jpg

photo P1000781.jpg

photo P1000781.jpg

The going was slow for the most part because sometimes I was in jeep traffic, but mostly because I was stopping so much. I didn’t mind as my plan was to get close enough to the passes yesterday evening so that I could take my sweet time today. That strategy paid off.

After getting down California Pass, I would go up and down Olphir Pass which was like a landscape from Mars as I traverse a whole mountain side of rocks. Tre cool.

photo P1000781.jpg

photo P1000781.jpg

I ran into Mitch and Dave again. They were looking for a campsite and asked about the other side of the pass. They a case of beer and were fully loaded down and it was the end of the day, so Dave really wasn’t in the mood to go it. They went back the other direction to look for something idyllic next to a creek.

I continued on in hopes of making it to Monticello. The next big off road section was the Black Mesa Trail. It was a windy uphill that reminded me a lot of the mountain rides in PA I did. At the top of the mountain, I approached a closed road, so I had to backtrack 1 mile. I eventually found an ATV trail that took me the long way around “dark” side of the mountain. At this point it was around 6:30 so the woods were getting dark and spooky. Especially under my dark tinted goggles. While I was rerouting on the ATV trail, I was praying that there were no downed trees in front of the path as the trail was a narrow double track that tighter than the woods roads I’ve been on usually. Since there were rock ledges just overhead, I was also praying no mountain lion would jump me… you see, I’m a paranoid dude.

Anyway, after what seemed like eternity, I make it out of the ATV onto the main trail and down the mountain I go to highway. At this point it was 7:00 and for a second, I thought about continuing on and pushing but there were campgrounds along that road, so I explored a couple and was able to find an available site.

As I pull into my site, a group of campers hail me down and ask me about my ride. Turns out they were a trailriding family, 3 brothers and a father. They asked if I was game to come along the next day, but I felt mentally ill prepared for a day of crazy single track, so I respectfully declined.

photo P1000781.jpg

After setting up my campsite, I head over and meet the Judds. Not the country music sensations, but a Mormon family out to do their business on the gnarly single track trails of Colorado. They had an insider who was local and knew all the good spots. Over a delicious meal they graciously prepared me, we talked about work, the trip, new york, missionary work, and dirtbiking. The three brothers, Malcolm, Tyson and Breck were all really blown away, I was riding cross country on a 250. Their Dad was a stoic guy who didn’t speak a great deal, but when doing so, was essential. He was a joker as well though, poking fun at Malcolm for his anxiety on the next days ride. Malcolm was the oldest and running his own business in Wedding photography. Breck and Tyson were still in college and very competitive with other when riding. It was interesting to find that Malcolm spoke Korean and Breck spoke Mandarin Chinese.

After a full belly, good conversation and a warm fire. I was off to bed. Another awesome day in the great outdoors.

simonpig screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 07:58 AM
Old 09-06-2011, 04:57 PM   #135
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,576
be warned once you start a TAT thread people expect (demand!!) updates and pictures. They throw out things like wondering if you've been busted up but that's not thier real concern. Those addicted arm chair adventures just want their fix, so realize they aren't looking out for you, but just want to see pictures and hear of potential carnage. Thow in a little excitement and leave em' hangin' they really like when you do that!!!
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote