ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2005, 05:13 PM   #1
PhilSpace OP
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,124
"Back Door" into the Gay Republic (Sandbox)

OK Linz and crew talk to me. It looks like I've got 3 days to get from VA to Miami which means I can completely avoid 95. Current plan is to do my work thing on Tuesday and Wednesday and hit KBM's house on Thursday PM and meet up with Steverino and the other early birds

I was going to take the back roads (which I know fairly well as far down as SC). and I plan on going down on the west side of Okeechobee and hit Miami from Krome Ave (near where I work) - btdt too.

What I need is some advice on sneaking in over the panhandle from SC, through GA and down the tother side to get to 27 or 441 the fun way

So, Linz, Mostro and the rest of you sandboxers, cough it up, what say yea, where be them thar secret roads

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 05:53 PM   #2
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSpace

So, Linz, Mostro and the rest of you sandboxers, cough it up, what say yea, where be them thar secret roads

About 300 miles north.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 06:05 PM   #3
Linzi
Volvo Driving Soccer Mom

Oddometer: 15,415
Yeah, sorry, Spacey...I know 95 really blows goats, sometimes (okay, most of the time), but there isn't anything that's much better. You can take 41 or 19 down through the central part of the state, but that's not so exciting. And, when you get into the St. Pete/Clearwater/Tampa area, they both really, really, really stink (trust me, my mom lives there).

Maybe take 27 from the Alachua area down? It swings by Orlando, but it's not through Downtown. It'll also take you past Sebring, and then you can go by Lake Okeedokee, if you want.

Sorry this isn't very helpful, but either way you choose, it's gonna be a dull ride. I'd skip 95 through SC, 'cause I swear that seems like the longest stretch of interstate on the planet, but once you get into the GA/FL area, I'd just hot foot it on down to Daytona and Miami...
Linzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 06:09 PM   #4
Flash
Sand Boxer

Oddometer: 3,163
Boy, here's a guy with more electronic gear than most Third World countries and he wants directions?

Hiya Phil

KBM, Linzi and Mostro can help you with GA. How far west are you looking to go? All the way to the Gulf? Three days RT'ing should be plenty of time, VA to Miami.

Remember this is Florida, the secondary roads are a lot like the slab, only narrower. 19 parallels the west coast and is very Old Florida. Not much traffic, the occasional local LEO. 2 lane divided, 60-65 mph most of the way. Town every 30 miles or so. For God's sake cut east at Brooksville, don't follow 19 into Tampa.

27 is pretty much the same way. Be careful of cops. You get lulled into submission. Weekdays stretches of 27 (south of I 4) just drone on and its easy to find yourself touring at 90 mph.

Stop for catfish in Okeechobee.

What were you thinking?
Old 02-22-2005, 06:10 PM   #5
Linzi
Volvo Driving Soccer Mom

Also, if you want to go to the Keys, TAKE CARD SOUND ROAD instead of US 1. Yes, it dumps you farth up on Key Largo, but you usually make much better time because you miss the 2-lane parking lot that is US 1 from Homestead to Key Largo. Might still be backed up, but once you hit Islamorada and Marathon, stuff gets prettier, and then you won't care about traffic so much.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:12 PM   #6
Linzi
Volvo Driving Soccer Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash
For God's sake cut east at Brooksville, don't follow 19 into Tampa.
This is wise...very, very wise. You don't want to hit 19 through Pinellas County. And, you certainly don't want to his the Sunshine Skyway Bridge when they've got a jumper up there. Stops everything.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:15 PM   #7
Flash
Sand Boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser
About 300 miles north.
Amen
Old 02-22-2005, 06:23 PM   #8
Flash
Sand Boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linzi
This is wise...very, very wise. You don't want to hit 19 through Pinellas County. And, you certainly don't want to his the Sunshine Skyway Bridge when they've got a jumper up there. Stops everything.
Take 75 at that point south to 70 or 72 then east thru Wimauma or Arcadia, continue east to 27 then south.

Or jump off here in Sarasota and take 41 south thru Ft Myers and Naples. Don;t take the Alley east, take 41 ocross the Okeefenokee. DURING THE DAY.
At points you're mere feet from the swamp. A missed corner late at night and after 2 minutes of bubbles you're a CSI Miami episode.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:24 PM   #9
PhilSpace OP
The Gov

Quote:
Thanks, I was planning on hugging the lake on my way to Miami. Spacewife and I have done 27/441. I was just looking for something more exciting than 95 to Jax and then over to 301 - figured there would be something better to the east starting with 221.

The electronic crap is a good start, but sometimes a good looking route on the puter blows mega goats with the reality of traffic and Barney Fife.

Maybe 31 outa Valdumster would be good

Old 02-22-2005, 06:27 PM   #10
PhilSpace OP
The Gov

Quote:
Boy, here's a guy with more electronic gear than most Third World countries and he wants directions?

Hiya Phil

KBM, Linzi and Mostro can help you with GA. How far west are you looking to go? All the way to the Gulf? Three days RT'ing should be plenty of time, VA to Miami.

Remember this is Florida, the secondary roads are a lot like the slab, only narrower. 19 parallels the west coast and is very Old Florida. Not much traffic, the occasional local LEO. 2 lane divided, 60-65 mph most of the way. Town every 30 miles or so. For God's sake cut east at Brooksville, don't follow 19 into Tampa.

27 is pretty much the same way. Be careful of cops. You get lulled into submission. Weekdays stretches of 27 (south of I 4) just drone on and its easy to find yourself touring at 90 mph.

Stop for catfish in Okeechobee.

What were you thinking?
Last time spacewife and I rode down we did 27 and she was hittin a buck ten when she passed me - meanwhile Mr. Valentine was saying slow down.

Got lots of time, west is good. Damn, three days from VA to Miami gives me lots of time.

Old 02-22-2005, 06:28 PM   #11
Flash
Sand Boxer

ElPelon...you on board tonight?
Old 02-22-2005, 06:36 PM   #12
Flash
Sand Boxer

Yeah, 27 can be a freaking autobahn. Come over a rise and look at 2 miles on orange groves. Hammer down.

Cedar Key is a cool place off the west coast north of Tampa. Weeki Wachee,
Homosassa Springs, touristy but worth a stop.

Ft Myers has the Thomas Edison house which is very interesting. Naples has a ...well...an opportunity to head east.

The middle of the state is barren. You quickly realize why folks live on the coast.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:45 PM   #13
PhilSpace OP
The Gov

Quote:
Yeah, 27 can be a freaking autobahn. Come over a rise and look at 2 miles on orange groves. Hammer down.

Cedar Key is a cool place off the west coast north of Tampa. Weeki Wachee,
Homosassa Springs, touristy but worth a stop.

Ft Myers has the Thomas Edison house which is very interesting. Naples has a ...well...an opportunity to head east.

The middle of the state is barren. You quickly realize why folks live on the coast.
Ugh, Mongo stay away from Tampa/St. Pete - ex-wifey and my evil sister-in-law from hell both live there - juju bad, juju very very bad.

Starting to sound like I just come down 221 into Florida and then head off on 27 and screw around until I need to hit the Doral on Monday - damn it's a rough life. Then after two days of bullshit meetings and a lot of time at the Doral Ale House off to see you bastiges at KBM's.

Old 02-22-2005, 06:53 PM   #14
2ndSPACE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,390
Quote:
Yeah, sorry, Spacey...I know 95 really blows goats, sometimes (okay, most of the time), but there isn't anything that's much better. You can take 41 or 19 down through the central part of the state,
Take 19, I dare you. Just ride real fast by any trailer parks.
2ndSPACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 07:09 PM   #15
PhilSpace OP
The Gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndSPACE
Take 19, I dare you. Just ride real fast by any trailer parks.