ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2005, 08:14 PM   #16
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSpace

What I need is some advice on sneaking in over the panhandle from SC, through GA and down the tother side to get to 27 or 441 the fun way

So, Linz, Mostro and the rest of you sandboxers, cough it up, what say yea, where be them thar secret roads
Oh guys ... there is actually some great riding that way! And sightseeing.

441 and 27 through Ocala will take you through the horse farms and great roads. Look for the airport near Ocala where John Travolta maintains his primary residence, complete with facilities for his private 707.

441 will put you within 4 miles of Don Garlit's museum on I-95, which is great.

Ocklawaha is nearby. That's the town where Ma Barker got gunned down in 1935. It's a small place with two biker bars, one is about a 4 on my 5 point David Allan Coe scale, and a nice seafood joint on the lake.

That loop around Lake Weir is great riding with rolling hills, something that you don't usually see in Florida.

Leesburg has the Leesburg Bike Festival and is also the town where Ozzy's guitarist got killed when some of the band members buzzed the tour bus with an airplane.

Mt. Dora isn't really rider friendly but it's still a popular place for folks to ride to. It's a quaint retiree place.

If you run down 27 make a point to stop in at Yeehaw Junction. Nice bar, and reportedly the only (former) brothel on the National Registrar of Historic Places. Lots of history there.

Tell you what. Send an email to BuccaneerPress@aol.com and I'll send you a .PDF of my upcoming book on Northeastern Florida. And you can download my free guide to the Keys from the link below. Sorry, but I don't have my material on Southern FL put together yet but that should be out sometime this year.

Have fun!
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 08:30 PM   #17
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,558
Quote:
Thanks, I was planning on hugging the lake on my way to Miami. Spacewife and I have done 27/441. I was just looking for something more exciting than 95 to Jax and then over to 301 - figured there would be something better to the east starting with 221.

The electronic crap is a good start, but sometimes a good looking route on the puter blows mega goats with the reality of traffic and Barney Fife.

Maybe 31 outa Valdumster would be good
301 is a nice ride for most of the way. When you get to Richmond, I'd go 295 around and then pick up 1/301 again south of Petersburg.. It's actually pretty nice down in south Ga into N Fl with all the horse farms.

If you want to hang to the east you can take 17 off 301 around Fort AP Hill, that's an even better ride, but never been S. of Myrtle Beach area on it.

301/27/441 from Lady Lake to Leesburg sucks ass IMO. I'd rather do Turnpike than that stripmall infested piece of stop-light hell..
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 08:42 PM   #18
bman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Some pretty good info in here
bman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 09:12 PM   #19
Linzi
Crazy Plott Lady

Oddometer: 15,438
I'm sorry...I was born and raised in Gainesville and think everything around it is incredibly boring, Ocala-area included. The horsies are cute and fuzzy, but that's about all Marion County has going for it.
Linzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 03:47 AM   #20
PhilSpace OP
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,323
Thanks PirateJohn and Bman! That thread about coming in from Gainesville helps alot. I'm just looking for some back roads without the Rt 1 or 29 strip mall hell.

Great info, thanks guys

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 04:50 AM   #21
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,220
If you take 19/which I just did...50 miles s. of cedar key is a right turn off to ozello. Several miles of real twisties with a very good seafood restaurant on the water waiting at the end. If you hit the mid keys, have lunch at the Loralie (sp) in islamorada. Bayside(left) going south.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 04:51 AM   #22
PhilSpace OP
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,323
Thanks.
Just found Cedar Key - might be a nice place for a photo op

PhilSpace screwed with this post 02-23-2005 at 05:00 AM
PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 07:15 AM   #23
Krautbikeman
Failed Anger Mgt #$%@#$%^

Oddometer: 5,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty hill
If you take 19/which I just did...50 miles s. of cedar key is a right turn off to ozello. Several miles of real twisties with a very good seafood restaurant on the water waiting at the end. If you hit the mid keys, have lunch at the Loralie (sp) in islamorada. Bayside(left) going south.
I would second the recommendation for that road and restaurant in Ozello! That was a dinner stop for the 2002 Ocala GS ride, and the road out there, while paved, is actually demanding of all of your attention, lest you wind up in one of Flash's CSI scenarios.
What I want is to be able to fulfill my basic obligations to my family, help out those I can, and never fuck anybody for a handful of silver. If I can laugh while doing so, and ride, and explore, I will consider myself blessed beyond what I deserve.

Jinx

Want to ride better? Basic/Experienced street and Dirt Bike classes. www.adventureridertraining.com
Krautbikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 07:16 AM   #24
Krautbikeman
Failed Anger Mgt #$%@#$%^

Oddometer: 5,487
Quote:
Thanks.
Just found Cedar Key - might be a nice place for a photo op
Steinhatchee, Steinhatchee, Steinhatchee, Steinhatchee Steinhatchee, Steinhatchee, Steinhatchee, Steinhatchee Steinhatchee, Steinhatchee, Steinhatchee, Steinhatchee Steinhatchee, Steinhatchee, Steinhatchee, Steinhatchee
What I want is to be able to fulfill my basic obligations to my family, help out those I can, and never fuck anybody for a handful of silver. If I can laugh while doing so, and ride, and explore, I will consider myself blessed beyond what I deserve.

Jinx

Want to ride better? Basic/Experienced street and Dirt Bike classes. www.adventureridertraining.com
Krautbikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 08:16 AM   #25
jktpa
X-Troller

Oddometer: 780
What Kraut said only double it ! The last vestage of Old Fl. now that Carabelle is under siege. 19 South to 98 to 301 to 39 to 62 East to 17 South to 64 East to 27. This is mostly straight roads littered with small towns some kinda kewl you will see some of the devastation from last summers storms in the Wachula Zolfo Springs area. Lots of boiled peanut vendors and the spread of the dreaded SUPERWalmarts.
19 South to 98 to 589 (Veterans/Suncoast)expressway (toll road) too 275 South Skyway Bridge to 75 South to 64 E to 27 is faster and The Skyway is sort of dramatic. If you go that way let me know I live about 2 miles from the bridge Goood camping with in the water sites at Ft. Desoto.
WR250R
ET4
jktpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 08:22 AM   #26
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsquiggy
Excellent Post PirateJohn
Bless you!
Old 02-23-2005, 09:18 AM   #27
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krautbikeman
I would second the recommendation for that road and restaurant in Ozello! That was a dinner stop for the 2002 Ocala GS ride, and the road out there, while paved, is actually demanding of all of your attention, lest you wind up in one of Flash's CSI scenarios.

I'll second this gentleman's second (or is that a third?).

Cedar Key is an excellent out-of-the-way Old Florida town and that entire Gulf coastal ride is pretty neat. If you cannot find Ozello on a map it's very close to Crystal River. I also did that 2002 GS ride/aborted photoshoot and have wanted to return to that fish camp/seafood joint for some time. Hell ... now that the subject has come up I might do it this weekend ;)

And once you get down there you are right next to our old friend Ocala, and there is plenty of good riding from there. Whether you go east into the Ocala Forest or southeast toward Ocklawaha it's all entertaining.

I might add that you will begin to run into some Greater Tampa congestion not too amazingly far south of Ocala but if you ride into the center of the state it's still very rural. There are fewer people per mile in the Everglades than just about any other place in the USA east of the Mississippi.

If you are working your way down the western coast of the central part of Florida you might consider riding the Tamiami Trail, a/k/a Rt. 41. It's easy riding, very rural, two lanes, runs through Indian settlements (notice the signs; a lot of the folks down there don't like round eyes so you know that you aren't at Disney), etc. Just be aware that there are, indeed, 'gators on the loose down there and it's not a good place to break down. I won't explore down there without a pistol handy, although if you stay on Rt. 41 you should be fine.

And then there are The Keys ... damn, that's a whole book in itself ;)

Finally, this entire state is so narrow that getting from the west coast to the east coast isn't that big of a deal. If you have the time you might consider riding back up A1A north of Daytona. The east coast of Florida is getting built up rapidly but you can still find some Old Florida places like the Hammock section south of Marineland, and that's a really neat ride.

Have fun!
Old 02-23-2005, 10:06 AM   #28
Linzi
Crazy Plott Lady

Oddometer: 15,438
I loooooooove Cedar Key...

Linzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 10:52 AM   #29
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linzi
I loooooooove Cedar Key...

Cedar Key's really entertaining. My only concern is that he might get down there and not be able to find a room. The place is pretty isolated and there's not much in the way of lodging unless you make a reservation.

And if you need to ride Rt. 24 after dark be careful. The last time that I was down there I got lead duty since I had the best driving lights and I picked up an enormous number of deer standing on the highway right of way.

Some photos of Cedar Key: http://www.fototime.com/inv/BAD09C9C5126370

"Travis McGee's still in Cedar Key
That's what John McDonald said
My rendezvous so long overdue
With all of the things I've sung and read
They still apply to me, they all make sense in time
But now I'm incommunicado
Driving by myself down the road with a hole in it
Songs with no bravado
Takin' the long way home

Now on the day that John Wayne died
I found myself on the continental divide
Tell me where do we go from here?
Think I'll ride into Leadville and have a few beers
Think of 'Red River', 'Liberty Valence' can't believe
the old man's gone
But now he's incommunicado
Leaving such a hole in a world that believed
That a life with such bravado
Was taking the right way home ..."

Jimmy Buffett -- Incommunicado, from his album Coconut Telegraph
Old 02-23-2005, 11:10 AM   #30
rboett
posser noob 205

Oddometer: 1,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
If you are working your way down the western coast of the central part of Florida you might consider riding the Tamiami Trail, a/k/a Rt. 41. It's easy riding, very rural, .

Have fun!
41 areas to avoid include between north of ft. Myers to Naples during am and Pm rush hours, tons of lights, too many Q-Tips to dodge....

I think Knicks recommended route would be the ticket through West Central FL.