User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2014, 01:02 PM   #1
CheckerdD OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,278
Airheads Club on Facebook

I did a search and did not find any announcement. The Airheads Club has a user group space on Facebook. We are not trying to compete with ADVrider but if interested. Search Facebook for Airheads Beemer Club and ask to join. Dave

CheckerdD screwed with this post 06-11-2014 at 01:08 PM
CheckerdD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:10 PM   #2
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,986
Dave, you may have a conflict there. The name you use "Airheads Beemer Club" is the abc and already in use. It is a recognized part of the BMWMOA. It publishes the widely read Air Mail, a monthly newsletter. Membership is $25 a year.

There is also the Airlist.

The IBMWR

The RA

ABATE, oh wait, that's not Beemers.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:32 PM   #3
nothing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
Dave, you may have a conflict there.
Same people - Dave is in the ABC.

I wish they had a modern forum - the email list is a serious pain in the ass. Unfortunately I don't see a Facebook group as much improvement honestly :-(

nothing screwed with this post 06-11-2014 at 01:41 PM
nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #4
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

I didn't know.

I also think the Airlist is dated.

I am a member of FaceBook but only because I don't feel like the bother of quitting. It's a major pain to get out once you are on. And there is a certain segment of friends I keep contact with. So there's that.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 06-11-2014, 02:37 PM   #5
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,314
A less-than-coordinated ABC attempt at publicity. And the new FaceBook site is not mentioned on the ABS website.

--Bill
Old 06-11-2014, 03:06 PM   #6
Skyshadow
Banned

Oddometer: 637
Yup, seems they have been there for a bit. The ABC is a shame. So much potential, yet so little progress. I am an on again, off again member. on one hand I want to support the club, but really the only benefit is Oak....and I can get similar help here. The email list is not worthwhile, and suspect if there was a forum it would be slower than an r65.

If Oak stops, ABC is done as far as I see. A real shame. If anything, they should require their air marshals to actually do something as a requirement of the position. Here in Maine, Jim Fisk has not done much that I recall. Be nice if he did.
Skyshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:17 PM   #7
nothing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
A less-than-coordinated ABC attempt..
You've just described the whole club in a nutshell ;)
nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:26 PM   #8
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

The position of Air Marshal doesn't have anything like guidelines for it.

Here in Maryland we seem to have a very active membership and the Air Marshal does do shepherding duties. We have a new one actually. His name is Didier. The old guy Lance was AirMarshall for many years. i think he got tired of it but I'm not sure. i don't keep up on club gossip.

We also have members that have moved away and stay in Maryland Airheads. We have a couple of members that actually live in other states.

We are doing our own Rally soon. Sorry I don't have details but I think the date and place has been set.

The club has been trying to get a service vehicle together, A van of some sort that has tools in it to take toi rallies and stuff.

Active State I guess but I don't have much time for being involved. i work

I met Beezer Josh at a Tech day we had a month ago.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:13 PM   #9
Renner
infamous wrench

Oddometer: 2,113
SoCal ABC does pretty well... as a club for anarchists.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:00 PM   #10
Skyshadow
Banned

some states have a good airhead contingent. Those that have organization should be thankful.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:44 AM   #11
CptImagine
NCC-1701-B

Oddometer: 163
Airheads and the anti tech mindset

The Airheads pre date this here new mode of interaction . WTF is facebook ?? to an old man riding a 30 year old motorcycle ? The Airheads are not an Airmarshal, they are a group of crumuggons who found solice in cheap reliable motorcycles, wayyyyy before they became fashionable . Airheads, meet face to face often, as there are tech days at members homes many weekends . Airheads use telephones, and shy away from the internet drivel . Call an Airhead from the dairectory when lost or broke on the road, telephone required . Some one will be there in short order to help . I've been on both ends of the line . One call to an AH, at the Tx/Mx border, informed me a new bridge existed across the Rio Grande, speeding my crossing big time since then . At major rallys there is an AH tent . I have seen final drives rebuilt, and many lesser repairs performed on traveling motorcycles at the tents . Having changed oil in Walmart parking lots often, yes they sell Valvoline 20w50 MC oil there . I carry the Airmail and arrange the on the road oil/tyre changes at an AH tech day, Missouri, Texas, Fla, etc. The Airheads post phone numbers, and do not require a PC to function . Making the only odometer worth a hoot the one on the bike . Luditte
CptImagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:00 AM   #12
Bikaholic51
Electric Kaiser

Oddometer: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptImagine View Post
The Airheads pre date this here new mode of interaction . WTF is facebook ?? to an old man riding a 30 year old motorcycle ? The Airheads are not an Airmarshal, they are a group of crumuggons who found solice in cheap reliable motorcycles, wayyyyy before they became fashionable . Airheads, meet face to face often, as there are tech days at members homes many weekends . Airheads use telephones, and shy away from the internet drivel . Call an Airhead from the dairectory when lost or broke on the road, telephone required . Some one will be there in short order to help . I've been on both ends of the line . One call to an AH, at the Tx/Mx border, informed me a new bridge existed across the Rio Grande, speeding my crossing big time since then . At major rallys there is an AH tent . I have seen final drives rebuilt, and many lesser repairs performed on traveling motorcycles at the tents . Having changed oil in Walmart parking lots often, yes they sell Valvoline 20w50 MC oil there . I carry the Airmail and arrange the on the road oil/tyre changes at an AH tech day, Missouri, Texas, Fla, etc. The Airheads post phone numbers, and do not require a PC to function . Making the only odometer worth a hoot the one on the bike . Luditte

Well Said.

88 R100RT-82 R100S-72 R75/5-70 R75/5 hack
Bikaholic51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:43 AM   #13
Skyshadow
Banned

very well said...but as always been my argument.....what happens to these curmudgeons bikes when they die? They go to us kids who would appreciate some more modern amenities, do not own a house phone and prefer email.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:17 PM   #14
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,314
That's OK if you have strong, active Airmarshalls as in California or Pennsylvania. Or are itinerant and on the road and find it convenient to perform major/minor service or to do tire changes at Tech sessions or to get roadside assistance. I still say that the organizer and leader of the local chapter ought to be the appointed (annointed?) Airmarshall and not just amember who is an enthusiastic loose cannon.

--Bill

Bill Harris screwed with this post 06-16-2014 at 12:16 PM
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:51 PM   #15
AK Bob
AKAM

Oddometer: 213
Then there is Alaska...

It just happens to be the Biggest State in the Union, with the Smallest Population.

We also have the Most Airhead Beemer Club Members Per Capita!

ABC is the best deal out there for Airhead riders.
'84 R100rt
'88 R100gs
AK Bob is offline   Reply With Quote