38 to 45 at best ,various conditions,81 r100rt
greenslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:32 PM   #18
BrokenR80RT OP
But I'll fix it.

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
It's not the bike. It's the rider. I could probably get mid forties if I slowed down. When I got my record 42mpg I was still speeding, just not nearly as much as I normlly do.

It's funny but here on the net most report mileage with airheads that most riders I hear of off the net weren't getting until they got a R1200.

Just your average is fine. I have a book I write maintenance and fuel usage in. Always have done this type of thing with all my machines so I catch stuff early. Cars tend to sell better when the next guy in line believes yer anal because you keep (good ) records.
BrokenR80RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:33 PM   #19
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,880
I mentally figure out the mileage after a fill up. I don't keep a record of it, so this is all from memory. On the bikes that are geared low like the R80G/S and 100GS I've gotten high 30s to mid 40s. The mid 70s to 84 R100s (S, RS, naked) are usually low 40s to close to 50. The R65 (now 850) gets low to mid 40s---it's got a taller final drive, and I'm getting ready to go even taller, so mileage should improve.

I rode an unfaired R100R across the country putting on 7500 miles in three weeks, and it seems like it got low to mid 40s for mileage.

I think it depends a bit on the weight of the rider, how much gear it's carrying and tire pressure. Of course, heavy acceleration and higher speeds take their toll.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:36 PM   #20
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,275
I have never needed a journal to keep track of all that stuff. Maybe all the jokes I heard as a kid about beemer riders being pipe smoking journal nerds set my mind to doing without them? People asked me what I thought of the first MOA National I went to. I had a great time but I wished I had a little hand held sign stating that I would not discuss mileage and tire wear journal entries and maybe another one that said Star Trek Convention with a big arrow pointing away from me! That would save me a lot of time at a big rally!
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:57 PM   #21
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,285
Mid 40's on my '92 GS on the average, but on a trip to Fla in April, hammering down the slab at 85+ I knocked it down to high 20's.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:08 PM   #22
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
32 - 44 w/ 36 - 40 being average on my '88 GS. I'm hoping to increase mileage a bit with a carb rebuild soon (esp. worn needles and needle jets).

On my 78S I rarely dipped below 40. 40 - 42 was typical.
fishkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:08 PM   #23
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,657
Performance and efficiency are not mutually exclusive.

First trip taken on the '92 GSPD I was astounded how much fuel it burned through, leaving me stranded on the side of the road at 0500 in the middle of Northern Ontario after only 550kms from it's 35L tank. ie: Completely unacceptable for a 1000cc twin of moderate performance.

Dropping the needles en route led to a best of 44mpg Imperial (approx 36mpg US) but was almost completely unrideable. Being used to higher efficiency tube frame Buells, /7's and /6's from the late '70's, I set about to correct this glaring deficiency.

After much modification I managed to improve torque, power and fuel economy by 25-30%. 55mpg Imp (44mpgUS) is achievable if I behave, which translates to 700kms from the PD's 35L tank.

With taller gears I'm pretty sure it could be made to crack 60mpg Imperial (48mpgUS).

For reference sake, my tube frame Buell S1 track bike (which could pull 147mph) would generate 65-68mpg Imperial (52-54.5mpgUS) on the street, with a one tank best of 75mpg Imp (60mpgUS).

The current crop of 85hp 800cc BMW/Rotax twins are generating 60-75mpg Imp (48-60mpgUS) with consistency. Clever fuel mapping and combustion design are enabling greater levels of both power and efficiency.

Direct injection technology from ground-breaking motorcycle companies like Motus is raising the bar even higher.

How long before BMW brings diesel motorcycles to market?

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:10 PM   #24
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,977
My R100RT has never gotten better than around 40, usually a lot worse.

My old R69S recently returned 46 mpg on one leg of a recent 3 day ride. All highway riding at legal speeds, and no passing of cars. That's much better than it usually does.

I record all fuel purchase quantities and milages, and have done for as long as I've owned these bikes.
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:15 PM   #25
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
I have never needed a journal to keep track of all that stuff. Maybe all the jokes I heard as a kid about beemer riders being pipe smoking journal nerds set my mind to doing without them? People asked me what I thought of the first MOA National I went to. I had a great time but I wished I had a little hand held sign stating that I would not discuss mileage and tire wear journal entries and maybe another one that said Star Trek Convention with a big arrow pointing away from me! That would save me a lot of time at a big rally!
I started recording fuel purchases and milages because I had to drive all over Oregon, Washington and Idaho for business, and it was required for compensation. It became a habit, and as long as I was recording that info in a book, I also recorded service intervals, tire purchases etc.

I carry a little planner binder with a section in the back devoted to record keeping for all my bikes, my truck and my antique car.
Only takes a few seconds when I buy gas, and I can go back and look any time I want to.
The information you amass can be revealing, and it serves to refute those who swear they get "xx miles per gallon" with a vehicle that I've never gotten close to "xx" with no matter how hard I tried, and no matter how well it ran.
Anyone who doesn't record fuel purchases doesn't really know for sure what their fuel consumption is.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:19 PM   #26
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Performance and efficiency are not mutually exclusive.
Shouldn't they overlap considerably? A high performance engine should utilize the given energy inputs very efficiently, no?
fishkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:31 PM   #27
JonO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
My '74 R90/6 averaged right at 42 mpg on last big trip to Eastern RDV (1500+ miles).

1974 BMW R90/6 (RIP)
JonO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:44 PM   #28
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkens View Post
Shouldn't they overlap considerably? A high performance engine should utilize the given energy inputs very efficiently, no?
My 1000cc Aprilia has consistently gotten 3-6 mpg better than my R100 under any given conditions, while delivering an order of magnitude better performance. 85 RWHP compared to probably 60 BHP. The dyno guy said to me "if you think this is dissapointing, let's put your beemer up there" after I noted that Aprilia claimed 98 BHP for the ETV1000 (Caponord) engine.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:54 PM   #29
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,275
Anyone who doesn't record their fuel purchases doesn't really know their mileage? Give us a break! A lot of us set the trip meter after every fill up and mentally figure the mileage every time. It's simple arithmetic! With small numbers! I don't need to write it down. I know exactly what mileage my bike gets and I have never written down my mileage outside of internet forums.

supershaft screwed with this post 06-18-2011 at 08:06 PM
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:26 PM   #30
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,155
Current rides.
1981 R100RT averages 44-47MPG
1980 R45 averages 52MPG but the wife really babies it.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote