Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2011, 08:39 AM   #91
BrokenR80RT OP
But I'll fix it.

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
I bet that's right! Ranting on and on was kind of my point regarding the complexity of a good answer to that simple question. I still think many are describing their best mileage as their average mileage.
Y'know Supershaft,

I have to generally trust the data given here. Most people know how to calculate average mpg and I see some have made good efforts to to do so accurately. I for one, take great notes on my fuel economy just so I can find and diagnose issues early. My average is 48.6 at this point and I keep watching.

Seems pretty interesting to me that two sights are converging on nearly the same number for an average.

BTW, I know of a few Buick's that get better fuel economy than your airhead. Interested?

BRT
BrokenR80RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:41 AM   #92
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,073
I would have to drop down to the smaller jets and ride like an old man to get over 40mpg. Sounds crazy.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:04 AM   #93
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenR80RT View Post
Y'know Supershaft,

I have to generally trust the data given here. Most people know how to calculate average mpg and I see some have made good efforts to to do so accurately. I for one, take great notes on my fuel economy just so I can find and diagnose issues early. My average is 48.6 at this point and I keep watching.

Seems pretty interesting to me that two sights are converging on nearly the same number for an average.

BTW, I know of a few Buick's that get better fuel economy than your airhead. Interested?

BRT
If I drove that Buick like I ride my bike? I'd be lucky to be getting 6mpg.
supershaft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:12 AM   #94
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
I would have to drop down to the smaller jets and ride like an old man to get over 40mpg. Sounds crazy.
My usual high twenties mpg IS with smaller jets.

Riding like an old man is exactly how I got my all time record 42mpg. I was still breaking the law but just barely.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:24 PM   #95
BrokenR80RT OP
But I'll fix it.

Oddometer: 157
Dang Supershaft.

You are challenging the California wild fires for being your state's biggest polluter. More power to ya. .......
BrokenR80RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:44 AM   #96
R100RT Mark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by R100RT Mark View Post
As I have a number of bikes that I swap between, unless I am on a long trip I zero the trip when I go onto reserve and I add three gallons at each “fill” (three gallons is the highest common denominator amongst the various tanks sizes). That way I have a good idea from the trip how much gas/how many miles to the next stop given each bike’s economy history.

I’m talking US gallons and 10% ethanol blend. Pre-ethanol fuel economy was about 10% higher. There are several gas stations in the North Georgia Mountains that still sell 100% gasoline. All my airhead’s runs happier and further/gallon on this hard stuff.

My ’94 R100RT varies between 33 and 37mpg. 33mpg if the bike is a little out of tune or I’m heavy handed in Atlanta interstate commuting traffic at 70-ish mph. 37mpg it I keep the speed down below 60mph or do longer trips. One-up and loaded with camping gear for a weekend does not make much difference, I think because I tend to be gentler running distances than shorter hops. Economy on this bike seems to be very sensitive to float height and carb balance – not things that need a lot of attention, but worth checking once in a while.

My ’84 R65 (recently sold) would average around 45mpg regardless of duty.

My ’93 R100R (recently acquired) has averaged 35mph on the two fills I’ve done so far. My guess is that this will improve when (a) I get around to balancing the carbs, (b) the lengths of my trips increase as part of my routine in getting familiar with any “new” the bike, and (c) my riding style becomes more fluid as I get used to the bike’s idiosyncrasies.

Mark
Three more fills on my 1993 R100R takes me to 34mpg overall (512 miles/15 gallons). All in-town or short/rapid Interstate commuting. Based on my experience with my 1994 R100RT, I would have expected a little better than this from my R100R. I’ve yet to do the tinkering on tuning that might yield some improvement, and I know I’m being heavy-handed with the R100R (it’s a blast). Will report in due course.

Mark
R100RT Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:01 PM   #97
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenR80RT View Post
You are challenging the California wild fires for being your state's biggest polluter. More power to ya. .......
That kind comment just about puts a tear in my eye BRT. Sometimes I get reminded that running my crank vent to atmosphere isn't helping. Just for those types I say that my ultimate setup would be dumping my crank vent down a whales blowhole. Too long of a setup! It's all just in good fun since when push comes to shove I get all tree huggie.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:09 AM   #98
Sibbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
6.5 litres per 100 km or 36 mpg US .Not good enough for me .1980 ST ,nicely tuned with big US army hotbox pannier hangin' in the breeze .
Sibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:14 AM   #99
Sibbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Has anyone ridden the same bike with and without a fairing ? How much difference did it make ?
Old 07-16-2011, 01:12 AM   #100
JohnDL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
I've owned my 1992 R80RT for 2 1/2 years. Although I've only covered 8,000 miles in that time I've averaged 44 mpg.

We're paying just over £6.04 for a gallon of regular unleaded in the UK which translates to $9.75 at today's exchange rate!

John
JohnDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:37 AM   #101
Sibbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDL View Post
I've owned my 1992 R80RT for 2 1/2 years. Although I've only covered 8,000 miles in that time I've averaged 44 mpg.

We're paying just over £6.04 for a gallon of regular unleaded in the UK which translates to $9.75 at today's exchange rate!

John
That's interesting , exactly the same as my unfaired ST ,same R80 engine ,same fuel consumption .I would have thought your fairing would improve things more .
Old 07-16-2011, 06:58 AM   #102
Packer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDL View Post

John
That's about 35-36 MPUSG.

My R60/2 on several long motorway runs at a genuine 70mph (checked against a Garmin) = 58-60 MPG imperial, 46 - 48 MPUSG,
Packer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:20 AM   #103
JohnDL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibbo View Post
That's interesting , exactly the same as my unfaired ST ,same R80 engine ,same fuel consumption .I would have thought your fairing would improve things more .
According to my Owners Manual (1992 models) the following applies:
Unfaired R80
61mpg at a steady 56 mph,
51 mpg at a steady 69 mph
45 at a steady 75 mph.

R80RT
59 mpg at a steady 56 mph,
48 mpg at a steady 69 mph
39 at a steady 75 mph.

I guess the RT fairing has a slight detrimental effect on fuel consumption due to it's size and extra weight. The RT weighs an extra 37 lbs compared to the unfaired R80.

My 44 mpg average reflects the fact I tend to ride in the 70 - 75 mph region quite a lot of the time.

John
JohnDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:37 AM   #104
RecycledRS
Along for the ride

Oddometer: 1,034
Interesting numbers on the RT fairing. I wonder if the RS fairing is better or worse. Anybody know?
Old 07-16-2011, 11:02 AM   #105
supershaft
because I can

I would guess that a RT hurts mileage. I would hope that a RS fairing helps but I have my doubts.