ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 08:34 PM   #76
xcgates OP
Whaaa?
 
xcgates's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Oddometer: 1,782
My tent has a good amount of mesh, I fell asleep on a thin 3/4 length Thermarest, in shorts, head on the rainfly stuffed in a bag, and a good helping of Maker's Mark.

Brought and not used, my one and only sleeping bag, no longer to be brought anywhere I go in TX, a 0 degree (possibly -10 degree) sleeping bag.

On the advice of one of the other guys, I'm just going to bring a sheet to cover/wrap up in. Depending on the forecast, I might not even bring the tent. The poles are too long to fit in my bags, so required strapping to the seat. So it looked like I had a boatload of stuff, but in reality, my hard bags were pretty empty. Pack the tent in a compression sack, and I think things would be nice and tight.

Tools/stove/etc in the right bag, clothes/cookware/food in the left, and random junk in the top box.
__________________
Do you talk to people you meet on the road?

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #77
stubmw
some what aloof
 
stubmw's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Texas
Oddometer: 2,443
I won't bitch about the heat, but rain can't even remember the last time it did that. Need it bad.
stubmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:59 PM   #78
Zecatfish
XTique Rider
 
Zecatfish's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Arkansas USA
Oddometer: 7,922
If you work in it everyday like I do, you get acclimated to it.
don't get me wrong its still HOT but I don't sweat nearly as much as I did
when I sat in the A/C all day.

IT was 105 today here in Central Arkansas.
__________________
Google Earth GPS Howto (still a work in progress) use USGS TOPO Maps to layout trails.
http://home.windstream.net/catfish/GPS


The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:21 PM   #79
terrascout
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: NW Arkansas, Hills and Curves close at hand
Oddometer: 1,571
Yea, once your dehydrated it's kind of hard for your body to sweat, Just some unnecessary razzing for ya Terry. Only 105 I think we hit that up here in the hills. I figure you folks down in the valley would be burning up even worse.
terrascout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:07 PM   #80
Tom Krein
Adventurer
 
Tom Krein's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Gentry, Arkansas
Oddometer: 65
We aren't supposed to have a high under 100 for the next 5 days.... its way too hot for here!!

Ready for fall!

Tom
Tom Krein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:47 PM   #81
Mr.Meh
Turd In A Punchbowl
 
Mr.Meh's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Transient College Kid
Oddometer: 252
I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to sweat like a dog, and I'm fine with that.

We got about 15 mins of torrential rain here in SW Houston from Tropical Storm Don. All it did was make it unbearably humid and hot.
__________________
2003 DR-Z400e
Mr.Meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:10 PM   #82
xcgates OP
Whaaa?
 
xcgates's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Oddometer: 1,782
Shower in the morning before work, shower when I get home, and then shower again if I ever go outside after the second shower before bed.
__________________
Do you talk to people you meet on the road?

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:47 PM   #83
Mr.Meh
Turd In A Punchbowl
 
Mr.Meh's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Transient College Kid
Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco Kid View Post
When is it not humid in Houston?
It's still humid here but with the drought it hasn't been too bad. The rain brought it back to Defcon 1 status.
__________________
2003 DR-Z400e
Mr.Meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:04 PM   #84
Capt Spaulding
Card Carrying Member
 
Capt Spaulding's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: On the Border
Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Meh View Post
I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to sweat like a dog, and I'm fine with that.

We got about 15 mins of torrential rain here in SW Houston from Tropical Storm Don. All it did was make it unbearably humid and hot.
That's about 14 minutes 59 seconds more that we got in McAllen (where the bastige made landfall). It was truly the second most disappointing tropical cyclone I've ever been met.

Have to say though that it's at least a little refreshing to see that we're not even close to the title of "heat capitol of tejas," at least not yet.
__________________
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and misapplying the wrong remedies.. Marx. (Groucho, not Karl)
Capt Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:17 PM   #85
joenuclear
Planning.....
 
joenuclear's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Oddometer: 6,125
Dear Diary,
Just moved to Texas ! Now this is a state that knows how to live!!
Beautiful sunny days and warm balmy evenings. It is beautiful. I've
finally found my home. I love it here.

June 14th:
Really heating up. Got to 100 today. Not a problem. Live in an
air-conditioned home, drive an air-conditioned car. What a pleasure to
see the sun everyday like this. I'm turning into a sun worshipper.

June 30th:
Had the backyard landscaped with western plants today. Lots of cactus
and rocks. What a breeze to maintain. No more mowing the lawn for me.
Another scorcher today, but I love it here.

July 10th:
The temperature hasn't been below 100 all week. How do people get used
to this kind of heat? At least, it's kind of windy though. But getting
used to the heat is taking longer than I expected.

July 15th:
Fell asleep by the community pool. Got 3rd degree burns over 60% of my
body. Missed 3 days of work. What a dumb thing to do. I learned my
lesson though. Got to respect the ol' sun in a climate like this.

July 20th:
I missed Lomita (my cat) sneaking into the car when I left this morning.
By the time I got to the hot car at noon, Lomita had died and swollen up
to the size of a shopping bag, then popped like a water balloon. The car
now smells like Kibbles and cooked cat. I learned my lesson though. No more
pets in this heat. Good ol' Mr. Sun strikes again.

July 25th:
The wind sucks. It feels like a giant freaking blow dryer!! And it's hot
as hell. The home air-conditioner is on the fritz and the AC repairman
charged $200 just to drive by and tell me he needed to order parts.

July 30th:
Been sleeping outside on the patio for 3 nights now, $225,000 house and
I can't even go inside. Lomita is the lucky one. Why did I ever come
here?

Aug. 4th:
Its 115 degrees. Finally got the air-conditioner fixed today. It cost
$500 and gets the temperature down to 85. I hate this stupid state.

Aug. 8th:
If another wise ass cracks, 'Hot enough for you today?' I'm going to
strangle him. Damn heat. By the time I get to work, the radiator is
boiling over, my clothes are soaking wet, and I smell like baked cat!!

Aug. 9th:
Tried to run some errands after work. Wore shorts, and when I sat on the
seats in the car, I thought my ass was on fire. My skin melted to the
seat. I lost 2 layers of
flesh and all the hair on the back of my legs and butt . . . Now my car
smells like burnt hair, fried butt, and baked cat.

Aug 10th:
The weather report might as well be a damn recording. Hot and sunny. Hot
and sunny. Hot and sunny. It's been too hot to do crap for 2 damn months
and the weatherman says it might really warm up next week. Doesn't it
ever rain in this damn state? Water rationing will be next, so my $1700
worth of cactus will just dry up and blow over. Even the cactus can't
live in this damn heat.

Aug. 14th:
Welcome to HELL! Temperature got to 115 today. Cactus are dead. Forgot
to crack the window and blew the damn windshield out of the car. The
installer came to fix it and guess what he asked me??? "Hot enough for
you today?" My sister had to spend $1,500 to bail me out of jail.
Freaking Texas . What kind of a sick demented idiot would want to live
in this damn state ?? Will write later to let you know how the trial
goes.
__________________
"They bought me a box of tin soldiers. I threw all the Generals away. I smashed up the Sergeants and Majors. Now I play with my Privates all day."
joenuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:08 PM   #86
xcgates OP
Whaaa?
 
xcgates's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Oddometer: 1,782
Hehe, I've been doing fine so far. Drink lots of water. LOTS.

Someone asks me about covering up on the bike in all this heat, and I mention the deal about protecting your skin from the full furnace blast, but always caveat it with the fact that it makes it slightly less miserably, not exactly comfortable.

I still find it fun so far, so maybe I'm just screwed up in the head. Same thing with how I enjoyed the challenge of blistering cold weather. Gotta have one extreme or another as long as it's not humid, I guess.
__________________
Do you talk to people you meet on the road?

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:18 PM   #87
slowoldguy
Tire Tester
 
slowoldguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: West of Waco, Texas
Oddometer: 8,218
Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Use the cooling vest and just keep everything drenched. Be smart. If ya feel the least bit goofy get off the damn bike.
__________________
RTB V- The Texas ADV Rally- Hurry before we fuck this up!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
"If you can't fix it with a hammer you can damn sure teach it a lesson".
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:25 PM   #88
xcgates OP
Whaaa?
 
xcgates's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Oddometer: 1,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
...If ya feel the least bit goofy get off the damn bike.
When the dial has been turned to roast and more, not only do I suck down lots of fluids, but I tend to stop at least once an hour to tip the skid lid up and stuff in some fluids and at least a small snack. Gets kind of funny when going the same way with a bunch of cages that see me pass, stop for a couple minutes, then pass again, stop, pass, etc. I just wave furiously and do goofy dances on the bike first to keep the blood flowing, and second to entertain myself. If I amuse the kids in the minivan next to me, so much the better.
__________________
Do you talk to people you meet on the road?

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:18 PM   #89
slowoldguy
Tire Tester
 
slowoldguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: West of Waco, Texas
Oddometer: 8,218
O.K> For you, I'll modify it...if you feel goofier than normal. :)
__________________
RTB V- The Texas ADV Rally- Hurry before we fuck this up!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
"If you can't fix it with a hammer you can damn sure teach it a lesson".
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:57 AM   #90
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 8,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenuclear View Post
Dear Diary,
Just moved to Texas ! Now this is a state that knows how to live!!
Beautiful sunny days and warm balmy evenings. It is beautiful. I've
finally found my home. I love it here.

June 14th:
Really heating up. Got to 100 today. Not a problem. Live in an
air-conditioned home, drive an air-conditioned car. What a pleasure to
see the sun everyday like this. I'm turning into a sun worshipper.

June 30th:
Had the backyard landscaped with western plants today. Lots of cactus
and rocks. What a breeze to maintain. No more mowing the lawn for me.
Another scorcher today, but I love it here.

July 10th:
The temperature hasn't been below 100 all week. How do people get used
to this kind of heat? At least, it's kind of windy though. But getting
used to the heat is taking longer than I expected.

July 15th:
Fell asleep by the community pool. Got 3rd degree burns over 60% of my
body. Missed 3 days of work. What a dumb thing to do. I learned my
lesson though. Got to respect the ol' sun in a climate like this.

July 20th:
I missed Lomita (my cat) sneaking into the car when I left this morning.
By the time I got to the hot car at noon, Lomita had died and swollen up
to the size of a shopping bag, then popped like a water balloon. The car
now smells like Kibbles and cooked cat. I learned my lesson though. No more
pets in this heat. Good ol' Mr. Sun strikes again.

July 25th:
The wind sucks. It feels like a giant freaking blow dryer!! And it's hot
as hell. The home air-conditioner is on the fritz and the AC repairman
charged $200 just to drive by and tell me he needed to order parts.

July 30th:
Been sleeping outside on the patio for 3 nights now, $225,000 house and
I can't even go inside. Lomita is the lucky one. Why did I ever come
here?

Aug. 4th:
Its 115 degrees. Finally got the air-conditioner fixed today. It cost
$500 and gets the temperature down to 85. I hate this stupid state.

Aug. 8th:
If another wise ass cracks, 'Hot enough for you today?' I'm going to
strangle him. Damn heat. By the time I get to work, the radiator is
boiling over, my clothes are soaking wet, and I smell like baked cat!!

Aug. 9th:
Tried to run some errands after work. Wore shorts, and when I sat on the
seats in the car, I thought my ass was on fire. My skin melted to the
seat. I lost 2 layers of
flesh and all the hair on the back of my legs and butt . . . Now my car
smells like burnt hair, fried butt, and baked cat.

Aug 10th:
The weather report might as well be a damn recording. Hot and sunny. Hot
and sunny. Hot and sunny. It's been too hot to do crap for 2 damn months
and the weatherman says it might really warm up next week. Doesn't it
ever rain in this damn state? Water rationing will be next, so my $1700
worth of cactus will just dry up and blow over. Even the cactus can't
live in this damn heat.

Aug. 14th:
Welcome to HELL! Temperature got to 115 today. Cactus are dead. Forgot
to crack the window and blew the damn windshield out of the car. The
installer came to fix it and guess what he asked me??? "Hot enough for
you today?" My sister had to spend $1,500 to bail me out of jail.
Freaking Texas . What kind of a sick demented idiot would want to live
in this damn state ?? Will write later to let you know how the trial
goes.

Ya know, that would be really funny except for the fact that since I moved from TX to AR it's been hotter here almost every day.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014