Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 03:43 AM   #136
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
I believe that each of my master cylinders has made that verticle 'spurt' unless I remembered to be cautious and squeeze slowly, memory isn't always that good. Have you considered removing the brake 'system' (intact) so that you can suspend it with NO loops and let the air migrate. It is hard to believe that you have been through that many master cylinders/rebuilds without any of them working. It is not hard to believe that there is still a bubble of air in there somewhere and it really does not 'like' to go downhill or through constricted passages like tee's and couplings. I have suspended a caliper above the mc (yeah, fill it and leave the cap on) in the past with the bleeder at the absolute highest point. After a couple of days being 'ignored' it did bleed out OK. You could also do it with the MC at highest point and inject fluid into the bleeder. Stretching (not literally in length but enough to get most of the bends out of the system) out the system has helped me in the past.

Brce
I haven't suspended it . I did have it out and apart over the weekend. Installed all new piston seals. The replacement MC is less effective than the old one, but I thought the old one was leaking. Not sure is it was now. May reinstall it.
radianrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #137
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,302
Yes, mine would spurt fluid back if you left off the cap and vigorously hit the brakes. That's weird what's happening to yours. Have you tried removing the hose at the caliper and seeing if fluid is even going down there? Try pumping the brakes with the hose removed and see if air comes out. This should be a simple problem to solve though.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #138
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
Yes, mine would spurt fluid back if you left off the cap and vigorously hit the brakes. That's weird what's happening to yours. Have you tried removing the hose at the caliper and seeing if fluid is even going down there? Try pumping the brakes with the hose removed and see if air comes out. This should be a simple problem to solve though.
Well, I do know that compressing the brake lever is pushing fluid out through the bleeder valve. Haven't tried the procedure you're suggesting yet.

Had hoped that I'd be moving on to cosmetic issues this winter. Can't believe I have been fighting with this since March with no resolution.

A friend has a low mileage VX800 that he wants to sell. Not a lot more than I could probably get for the GR and I am tempted. I want to ride a LOT more than I want to fight with this brake issue.

Not sure how wise moving from one oddball Suzuki twin to another one is, but...
Old 11-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #139
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

You'll be starting all over again.

unknown
Old 11-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #140
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
You'll be starting all over again.
There is that. But I know the VX is fully rideable right now. That is very attractive.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #141
zap2504
Dave E.

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by radianrider View Post
A friend has a low mileage VX800 that he wants to sell. Not a lot more than I could probably get for the GR and I am tempted. I want to ride a LOT more than I want to fight with this brake issue.

Not sure how wise moving from one oddball Suzuki twin to another one is, but...
I always liked the VX800 because it was made for tall folks. Fairly rare in the USA so any body parts will be hard to come by if needed, but the mechanicals are identical to the cruiser Intruder version and still readily available. Liquid-cooled, narrow v-twin (with screw/locknut OHC), twin rear shocks, f/r disk brakes, shaft drive; what's not to like?

I agree with the others that your latest MC has issues (i.e., there should be fluid spurting up from the pressure release hole when you release the lever). Could be that the MC needs to be "bench bled" (get the air out before connecting to the brake line) or something else (like the hole could be clogged).
zap2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:12 AM   #142
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap2504 View Post
I always liked the VX800 because it was made for tall folks. Fairly rare in the USA so any body parts will be hard to come by if needed, but the mechanicals are identical to the cruiser Intruder version and still readily available. Liquid-cooled, narrow v-twin (with screw/locknut OHC), twin rear shocks, f/r disk brakes, shaft drive; what's not to like?

I agree with the others that your latest MC has issues (i.e., there should be fluid spurting up from the pressure release hole when you release the lever). Could be that the MC needs to be "bench bled" (get the air out before connecting to the brake line) or something else (like the hole could be clogged).
I put the original back on after pulling it apart--again-- to check the piston and cup. About shot myself in the eye with brake fluid when I pulled the lever on it.

I may pull the new one apart to see how it works, but I really don't want to spend the money to rebuild it too.

On the good side, I did ride for a while yesterday. Brakes will stop the bike, but it takes some planning. I just went out into the country (two minutes from here) and rode for about an hour. Is there anything better on an unexpectedly warm day in November?
Old 11-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #143
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Another forum member has taken pity on my efforts and offered to assist with the brakes.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #144
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Quote:
Originally Posted by radianrider View Post
Another forum member has taken pity on my efforts and offered to assist with the brakes.
I'm sure it's something simple, good luck.

unknown
Old 11-17-2012, 07:42 PM   #145
fnqgr650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
gr650

Hi folks
I am actually trying to get onto the gr650 site of which I believe there are two. I have just had a gr given to me and am almost at point of road registration. I really need technical help such as tolerances, gaps etc and would love chat as once touched by one of these old wonders people seem to wax quite lyrical. Only prob is, rather than blab me name in email address I use an old saying by an old aussie actor name of Chips Rafferty. It might be that the mods on that site have taken offense at my email addy and refused me even entry. Political correctness really does get in the way sometimes. I guess, if that is the problem, I would happily surf this site with the owners that are here.
fnqgr650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #146
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnqgr650 View Post
Hi folks
I am actually trying to get onto the gr650 site of which I believe there are two. I have just had a gr given to me and am almost at point of road registration. I really need technical help such as tolerances, gaps etc and would love chat as once touched by one of these old wonders people seem to wax quite lyrical. Only prob is, rather than blab me name in email address I use an old saying by an old aussie actor name of Chips Rafferty. It might be that the mods on that site have taken offense at my email addy and refused me even entry. Political correctness really does get in the way sometimes. I guess, if that is the problem, I would happily surf this site with the owners that are here.
I asked for a login for that site too and never received one. The GR is a rare bike so there aren't all that many experts on it. I would start a thread on your bike here and at dotheton.com and you'll find a few experts on both sites that will help you out.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:40 AM   #147
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnqgr650 View Post
Hi folks
I just logged on to that board without a problem, but I registered a year ago. Pretty sleepy place. It did have a new legal page informing me that the Dutch government now requires them to notify you about cookies before you can log in.

Most of the info you need should be in the manual. Pablo's advice about Do The Ton is solid. Look for posts by Big Rich.
thegsresources.com has a lot good info on the Suzuki GS bikes. The GR is similar to the GS in many ways and they are a solid bunch of folk.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:48 AM   #148
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

I now have brakes. Bwringer, an ADV'er, figured out what was wrong and fixed it. Turns out the the seal was too tight and pulling the piston too far back. He also discovered that the piston was too tight.

He used a scotchbrite pad to smooth out the bore and the piston. He then used another pad soaked in brake fluid and as he said, "polished the seal" until it would allow the piston to move in the bore properly.

I have less a half inch of lever travel and the brakes are working properly.

The ride home was the best ride I have had on the bike in the 17 months I have owned the bike. Imagine! Brakes that work! Exactly when and how you want and need them!

Less than 1/2", probably more like a 1/4" of brake lever travel now and I can stop!
Old 11-21-2012, 05:29 AM   #149
fnqgr650
Adventurer

gr site

Hi Radian. I guess with you and Vtwin etc on site I should suvive here. I bought from Ebay a service manual and should have it by weeks end. I have ridden for 2 kliks [mile and half] but since bought rear tyre and maybe need some electrical and some minor frame work for roadworthy needed prior to registration. Plan is to have legal rider by Xmas.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:32 AM   #150
fnqgr650
Adventurer

apologies Pablo

Had not noticed your words of encouragement. Thanks