Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #151
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer: 445
I really, REALLY, hate having to work on brakes.

Finally have appropriate braking power, but spotted a leak from the master cylinder. Fluid coming out the weep hole underneath.

Been there before, so knew it was the front seal. Pulled the MC apart and found this.

Have made approx 10 attempts to reinstall it without this happening...same number of failures.

Can't get enough pressure on the washer to get the circlip that sits on top of it into the right groove without the front seal sliding into the cup under it.

Any tips/tricks to prevent this? I could have been riding today, but I can't get this fixed!
radianrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:13 PM   #152
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

12 tries later...I might have actually accomplished brakes that work and don't leak.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #153
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by radianrider View Post
12 tries later...I might have actually accomplished brakes that work and don't leak.
That's impressive. With the modifications I've done to my bike it's now 70 lbs lighter. I think almost all of it came off the rear wheel. The rear brakes lock up real easy now so most of my braking is done with the front, butt my front brake is weak. I don't think I could lock the front on asphalt. Yesterday I almost ran into the side of a truck: he cut the corner too sharp and I was going way too fast. Really I think he was more scared than I was., but I really need to fix those front brakes.
Pablo83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:44 AM   #154
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

You are a better wrench than i am, so you can probably get your brakes fixed in less than nine months. I know a lot about brakes that i didn't before. Not sure i wanted to know this much, but they work now.

Still, 1980 Suzukis aren't renowned for their braking power under the best iof circumstances
Old 11-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #155
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,184
Guys, I went with a braided line and EBC HH pads and don't have any complaints of the front brakes at all.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #156
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

I decided to go with a braided line back in March. That's when I rebuilt the whole system and spent the 8 months fighting with brakes.

Ah well. Got it right in time to put it away for winter. Now to take the fuel gauge out and reattach the float so i can see how much gas is left. Can hear the float banging around in there.

Then on to getting ready to paint body work.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #157
fnqgr650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
recent posts

Hi Radianrider
Thanks for your help. Can you tell me how I find my recent posts/threads? I hit on the clipboard first up and found em but when I go back there the ones i opened are gone.
fnqgr650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #158
fnqgr650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
subscribed threads

ignore that last. have found the subscribed links search. Nice touch to the register for gsresources. I was knocked backed on the last question what bikes do we like? I of course said gr which turned out to be naughty. Should have been gs. I'm not about to burst anyones bubble and bugger me chances of so much tech knowledge.
fnqgr650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:45 AM   #159
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Just for future reference, the brake issue was figured out by forum member bwringer.

He discovered that the piston was hanging up in the seal. Prevented it from moving into position and prevented the system from building pressure.

He "eased" the seal using a Scotchbright pad soaked in brake fluid.

I was using OEM parts in throughout--except for the stainless line.

Not going to keep this thread active much longer. Bought an '01 SV650 and will not be able to keep the GR, though I REALLY want to keep it. Sigh. Budget says it isn't practical to tear down and rebuild, as much as I want to do it.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:18 PM   #160
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Okay, so...

I still have the GR

When we last met on this thread I had just purchased an '01 SV650. It is a great bike! Rather fortunate that it is, because I borrowed a pickup, left the house at 5 a.m., drove to Chattanooga and took my first ride ever on an SV.

Sorta committed at that point (about 7 hours each way) since I'd have felt ridiculous driving back with an empty pickup. Got back home at about 11 p.m.

I had stripped the paint off the GR before I knew I would have the funds to buy the SV and I never really got around to finishing the prep work after I got the newer bike.

Anyway, today I bought/ordered the clutch cover gasket, the generator cover gasket, the cylinder base gasket and the valve cover gasket. Dealer actually had two of them in stock! He was more surprised than I was.

Saved me some money, since the generator gasket had been entered in the system in 1983 prices. $3.80 v. $11 He had five of the valve cover gaskets--still taped together in the original 1983 package. Never been touched. Sold almost as well as the GR did back in '83--which accounts for why it is pretty hard to find a GR now.

Bought a bench-mounted buffer and plan to get going on polishing/painting/refreshing. Stay tuned.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:42 AM   #161
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Thanks for the update.

unknown
Old 05-17-2014, 12:29 PM   #162
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Sold the GR today. Will use the cash and saved insurance money to help with college bills. Two kids in college next year.

Learned a lot on the old bike and enjoyed riding it. Never finished the paint job, but the buyer was really happy to get it. Seemed very excited to have a bike with room for his girl friend on the back.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:47 AM   #163
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

I know the college fund thing only too(two) well. Good luck and hope you find another bike.

unknown
Old 05-18-2014, 09:32 AM   #164
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
I know the college fund thing only too(two) well. Good luck and hope you find another bike.
Thanks, VTwin. Only way I could do it was to have another bike already in the garage. Bought an '01 SV650 last Memorial Day and have been riding it almost exclusively. Had hoped to keep the GR for vintage rides, but it sat most of the time.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:33 PM   #165
doggitter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,768
Just found your GR thread, and recently found info on the GR model, both look good.

I'm thinking of finding on to do a light transformation for some dual sport use, very limited off road of course.

Opinions on your bike since you've had it for a while? I like the narrowness, lighter weight than 4cyl bikes and am interested in your thoughts on why it might be a bad choice for my goal? Thanks.

Loren, somewhere on a DR350SE
doggitter is offline   Reply With Quote