User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2012, 08:54 AM   #91
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer: 462
Running very well...

I've been riding more than wrenching...and I like riding more.

The front brake still seems like it has a long pull, so I will likely have to bleed the lines again. Stops okay and I've never felt that I couldn't stop within an appropriate distance, but I'd like a firmer feel at the beginning.

Other than that...I'm really happy with how it runs an rides. Longest ride so far has been about 100 miles, but I may get to improve on that before the semester starts in late August. Riding time drops in a major way when that happens.

I'm not a huge fan of the seat. Not real comfortable by the time I got back from the longer ride, but I did 60 miles yesterday and it was okay.

I think it is safe to begin thinking about dealing with cosmetic issues, rather than mechanical. It does have a base gasket leak that I'm going to have to take care of, but that will likely be a winter project. Finally got it running and don't want it out of service during ride time.

Starting to look at similar style bikes to get some ideas about paint options.

Never thought I'd like a white bike, but this one has caught my eye.

Has longer pipes on it...I probably won't do that--adds to the work needed to remove the tire--and it has twin discs on it. Might consider that at some point.

Owner has cut down the seat and removed the passenger grab rail. That could work for me. Nice clean looking bike.

radianrider screwed with this post 08-07-2012 at 09:04 AM
radianrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #92
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Finally, may have the front brakes right

Spent several hours today tearing the front brake lines and master cylinder off. Spent time bench bleeding the MC and retightened the banjo bolts and connectors.

Found two crush washers on the inside of the caliper banjo bolt. Obviously an idiot worked on it last.

Bled the system it seems much better. Less lever pull and more power to stop.

Had to use that power on a test run as a flock of Canadian Geese decided to launch in front of me. Canada, you are welcome to come get your geese anytime. Hate those things.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:19 PM   #93
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Once again, the premature "whoo-hoo" with the brakes. I may have to just tear down to ground zero and start all over. Completely frustrated with it at this point.

Bike is running well. Rode it to work and back yesterday. About 70 miles. Not a hiccup other than the front brake.

Newest issue is that the gas gauge has decided not to work properly. Sounds like something is loose inside the tank. I'll let it float until the riding season is over. Plan to paint the tank at that point anyway, so I'll fix it later.

Hit 13,000 miles on the odometer as I pulled into to work.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:14 AM   #94
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,298
Ebay is your friend. Get a master from a GS500 and be done. You'll need to do something about the front brake wiring and the lever will be silver, but no one has noticed mine yet.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #95
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
Ebay is your friend. Get a master from a GS500 and be done. You'll need to do something about the front brake wiring and the lever will be silver, but no one has noticed mine yet.
Got any closeup pix of your front MC? I see a couple of different GS500 MC's on Ebay and I'm not sure which style to go for.

One has the banjo bolt where the GR's is and the other has it coming out the end of the MC.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #96
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Yep, here you go. I am running a steel braided line and had to swivel the banjo, but this setup allows the line to do that. Perhaps your hose is bad?

unknown
Old 09-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #97
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:
Yep, here you go. I am running a steel braided line and had to swivel the banjo, but this setup allows the line to do that. Perhaps your hose is bad?

Thanks, VTwin,

I was afraid that that style might put the brake lever too far out from the grip.

Think my cable is okay--just made a stainless line and installed it in June. Only thing I didn't change out was the rubber diaphragm under the cap on the MC.

I believe I might have to follow your path with it.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #98
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Good hunting.

unknown
Old 09-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #99
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:
Good hunting.
I think I fixed it! Okay, I know I've said that about a dozen times this summer, but I really think I got it right this time.

Started in at about 8:00 this a.m. and took the caliper off. Wanted to be sure it wasn't leaking from around the piston. I checked the MC two weeks ago and found nothing wrong there.

No leaks at the caliper end. Pulled the stainless line off and took another shot at tightening both banjo bolts. One of them was LOOSE! Cranked it down and reassembled the system. Immediately noticed a difference when I started bleeding the brakes. Almost no air bubbles after ten minutes.

Tons more brake with far less lever pull.

Almost hesitate to say it, but rode about 15 miles and it never reverted back to the long pull feel.

I didn't think the line was the issue because it never leaked fluid. Apparently it will pull air, but not leak.
Didn't know that.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #100
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Congrats!

unknown
Old 09-05-2012, 12:57 AM   #101
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:
Congrats!
Thanks! I ordered a new front brake switch to replace the one I broke. Once it gets here I should be able to concentrate on riding for a while.

radianrider screwed with this post 09-05-2012 at 06:46 AM
Old 09-05-2012, 01:26 AM   #102
BiGR Rich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Radian: that white GR has a short build thread on Dotheton.com. I know the owner is from Europe somewhere.........

Radian and VTwin: there is a bolt on adjustable brake lever for the GS500 master cylinder. The guys on the GSTwins could probably rattle off the part #, but I could search for it if you'd like?

Edit: here's the thread discussing brake levers:
http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php...4843#msg604843

Great scoots too - both of you.

BiGR Rich screwed with this post 09-05-2012 at 01:36 AM
BiGR Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:19 AM   #103
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGR Rich View Post
Radian: that white GR has a short build thread on Dotheton.com. I know the owner is from Europe somewhere.........

Radian and VTwin: there is a bolt on adjustable brake lever for the GS500 master cylinder. The guys on the GSTwins could probably rattle off the part #, but I could search for it if you'd like?

Edit: here's the thread discussing brake levers:
http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php...4843#msg604843

Great scoots too - both of you.
Big Rich,

That makes an interesting option. VTwin noted that the front brake light switch is different, so I'd have to figure that out, or switch the GS500 MC (although I hate the cheesy assembly Suzuki used on the GR and the early GS's, so that switch wouldn't be the worst thing.)

I'll definitely keep this option in mind.

The one thing I'd LOVE to change (well, it is really two things--related) is the big V shape to the side panels and the front of the seat. I just think that part of the bike doesn't fit the character of the front half of the bike. Perhaps I'm just acclimated to the style of the Brit twins that the front half of the GR copies so well.

Looks like the design team got interrupted half way through and forgot what they were doing. Or the original team was fired and the back half was designed by the sport bike team. It is very angular while the tank is very swoopy. It is just too big and draws the eye too much.

Trying to decide if, when I paint the bike, I can visually hide the V shape of the side panels with the proper paint scheme. Either I have to change the panel look, or I have to figure out a more angular tank that will fit the bike. Or--just suck it up and ride the bike.

(Feeling very good that I can FINALLY worry about the cosmetics rather than mechanical issues. Been a long time getting to that point. I've learned a lot on the journey and I like that part of having an old bike.)
Old 09-05-2012, 06:54 AM   #104
BiGR Rich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Aside from the miniscule capacity and the wide front end, I actually like the stock tank. I've tried a couple different tanks to the GR frame, and nothing is a bolt on swap yet........

I know what you mean about the side covers too. When I bought the "stock" GR, the PO had cracked the one mounting peg off and used some kind of bolt to hold it in the frame. I think it was a piece of all thread with an acorn nut on each end? Wish I could remember.........

If you do start swapping around the cosmetic bits, let me know. I'll be happy to offer any help I can.
BiGR Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #105
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGR Rich View Post
Aside from the miniscule capacity and the wide front end, I actually like the stock tank. I've tried a couple different tanks to the GR frame, and nothing is a bolt on swap yet........

I know what you mean about the side covers too. When I bought the "stock" GR, the PO had cracked the one mounting peg off and used some kind of bolt to hold it in the frame. I think it was a piece of all thread with an acorn nut on each end? Wish I could remember.........

If you do start swapping around the cosmetic bits, let me know. I'll be happy to offer any help I can.
Thanks Big Rich,

I think my first shot will to paint the bike and lose the Tempter name badge. Toying with how I change the lower front edge of the seat and change out the side panel.

Something more like this