Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #106
zap2504
Dave E.

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by radianrider View Post
The one thing I'd LOVE to change (well, it is really two things--related) is the big V shape to the side panels and the front of the seat. I just think that part of the bike doesn't fit the character of the front half of the bike. Perhaps I'm just acclimated to the style of the Brit twins that the front half of the GR copies so well.

Looks like the design team got interrupted half way through and forgot what they were doing. Or the original team was fired and the back half was designed by the sport bike team. It is very angular while the tank is very swoopy. It is just too big and draws the eye too much.

Trying to decide if, when I paint the bike, I can visually hide the V shape of the side panels with the proper paint scheme. Either I have to change the panel look, or I have to figure out a more angular tank that will fit the bike. Or--just suck it up and ride the bike.
Well, you can do what everyone else does - take a good side-shot photo with a digital camera, import it into your computer and use MS Paint to experiment with different looks. The advantage you have is that your tank bottom is already flat and your tank doesn't have any downward "swoops" on the tail end like many '80s tanks. Try "painting" your tank white and your side panels black. It might be too much black, but you could add a Suzuki "S" emblem in place of the "Tempter" name plate.

Unless you remove the "sissy bar" and go with a different seat/tail it will probably never look like a W650 (or Bonneville), but it is surprising what different paint can do. Also look at the "deluxe" GR650 with the two-tone paint scheme (and cast wheels) for ideas.
zap2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #107
BiGR Rich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
In my first round of alterations to my GR, I got some of those LED bolts in amber (I think from JCWhitney?) and put them in the original Tempter badge holes. I just had them jumped into the running light wires under the seat. Really, any tank badge could be made to work fairly easily.

If you wanted to get a more bubble shaped side cover though, a sheet of black ABS plastic with some different side covers snapped to it could be made to work as well. The black ABS would use the original frame / tank mounts, and a color matched side cover might look good.

BiGR Rich screwed with this post 09-05-2012 at 05:48 PM
BiGR Rich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #108
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer: 471
Good ideas, gents. I'll definitely consider all options as I get time. Was thinking I could make a frame using the existing side panel attachment points and attach a new style side panel to the frame.

The grab bar may go. It is already in bad shape since I had to cut a homemade sissybar off. It was made out of square aluminum bar stock welded to the grab bar with an H-D backpad attached. Cycle World, back in '83, reported good success in reshaping the seat by cutting the back down by an inch for a flatter look. I cut it off and started trying to sand the bar back to a good finish.

Cycle World, back in '83, reported good success in reshaping the seat by cutting the back down by an inch for a flatter look.
radianrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #109
BiGR Rich
Gnarly Adventurer

Might I recommend the GS1000 Endurance seat from Airtech? I guarantee it fits and has the side panels already molded in!

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/vintage/hammer.htm

Old 09-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #110
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGR Rich View Post
Might I recommend the GS1000 Endurance seat from Airtech? I guarantee it fits and has the side panels already molded in!

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/vintage/hammer.htm

Looks rather familiar, Big Rich. Where have I seen that before?

Would sure change the look the bike, but maybe not quite what I'm going for.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #111
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,311
BIGR Rich! You were on the GR Forum right? I spend way too much time on this sight.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #112
BiGR Rich
Gnarly Adventurer

Yep, the one and the same. I've gotten myself onto a couple different forums now so I don't spend time on the GR specific one anymore. That, and I am down to one titled / running GR and there isn't much from the stock bike left.

But Radian, keep the old wheels turning on your sidecover idea - I'm sure you'll come up with a good replacement. And any decent upholsterer can help with the seat. There is a ton of foam under that vinyl (except at the front edge of the step) so it should be easy to shape to what you want.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #113
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,800
Quote:
Radian: that white GR has a short build thread on Dotheton.com. I know the owner is from Europe somewhere.........

Good stuff. Lots of pics

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=38589.0
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:44 AM   #114
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo83 View Post
Thanks Pablo83! I looked for it yesterday after Big Rich mentioned it, but didn't spot it. Your link was very useful.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:47 AM   #115
zap2504
Dave E.

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
There is a ton of foam under that vinyl (except at the front edge of the step) so it should be easy to shape to what you want.
There certainly was on the one I sat on last year - and most of it as soft as a marshmallow. I sank almost all the way down to the seat pan. If your seat is like this, then you should also get some better foam and re-shape from that versus just re-shaping the OEM foam. You can get high-density closed-cell foam (doesn't absorb moisture) either from a distributor or from an exercise mat, open-cell foam, carpet padding, laminate floor underlayment - lots of options. See http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/ and http://www.sargentcycle.com/cspfu.htm for general guidance and this product - http://www.supracor.com/ as Spencer's uses it in their seat rebuilds.
zap2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #116
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap2504 View Post
There certainly was on the one I sat on last year - and most of it as soft as a marshmallow. I sank almost all the way down to the seat pan. If your seat is like this, then you should also get some better foam and re-shape from that versus just re-shaping the OEM foam. You can get high-density closed-cell foam (doesn't absorb moisture) either from a distributor or from an exercise mat, open-cell foam, carpet padding, laminate floor underlayment - lots of options. See http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/ and http://www.sargentcycle.com/cspfu.htm for general guidance and this product - http://www.supracor.com/ as Spencer's uses it in their seat rebuilds.
Thanks, Zap. Some good info.

Think I may need to invest in another seat pan so I don't mess my stock seat up. Not terribly confident I'll get it right the first time through. I know my history. :)
Old 09-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #117
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Got my new brake switch on and went for a ride. Lot of severe weather last night (tornado warnings, massive amounts of lightning and rain) and the payoff was a beautiful day today. Big fluffy clouds, temps in the low '70's.

Bike is just running great. What a fun way to spend 90 minutes...just wandering wherever I wanted to go. No pictures today; this one was just for the sheer joy of riding an old bike I have been working on for 14 months to get to the "reliable" stage.

Only thing I know of that needs fixed is the gas gauge. Quit working about a week ago and it can just wait. I want to ride for a change.

That old parallel twin is just fun to ride. Easy turn in, lots of torque, upright riding stance. Check, check and check.

Hope you had as much fun riding today as I did.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:30 AM   #118
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by radianrider View Post
Thanks, Zap. Some good info.

Think I may need to invest in another seat pan so I don't mess my stock seat up. Not terribly confident I'll get it right the first time through. I know my history. :)

RR, you can always get this. I was going to graft it to my old seat pan.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=812470

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #119
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
RR, you can always get this. I was going to graft it to my old seat pan.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=812470
Hmmm...not sure that's the look I'm going for.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #120
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,800
what type of sprocket did you use to regear your bike?
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote