User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2008, 07:53 PM   #1
ShawnT316 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
My Ride Home Today

I just recently bought an 06 KLR, I got it to save on gas! not only does it get better than 50 mpg, but I can take a "short cut" to work! This short cut is now only 54 miles one-way to Sierra Vista, AZ, from my home in Sunsites, AZ, it saves me about 20 miles each way, but . . . 30 miles is dirt/gravel roads, which most of it is washboards, and loose gravel, it still takes me about 1.25 hours eaither way!

Here are some pictures!

Ready to Leave WORK, Friday afternoon, sun is bright, and 64 degrees! I have to swing by the dealer and gets some fork seals that I ordered Monday, and then I head for home.

[IMG][/IMG]

I have about 20 miles of blacktop two lane, before I get to Tombstone, it is mostly boring, but it sure beats work! Here is a few pictures along the way. . .

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Tombstone is a interesting town, one of these days I'm going to explore it more, but . . .
[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-25-2008, 08:01 PM   #2
Deadly
Asphalt Adventurer!

Oddometer: 1,522
I like the KLR.
IBA #14873
02' Nighthawk 750
My Website
Deadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:02 PM   #3
ShawnT316 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

More . . .

Within 2 miles of Tombstone, I get to the dirt/gravel road . . . this is where the unknown is . . .

[IMG][/IMG]

Notice I'm not the only one on the road!

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Washboard and loose gravel most of the way, my front tire doesn't like the loose gravel, it is sometimes 2" deep, and the front wheel feels like it is plowing! But . . . It keeps me awake after a long day at work!

[IMG][/IMG]

And just when your bored . . . you see signs like these . . .

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

And a rather sticky situation, if . . . you get too close!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-25-2008, 08:03 PM   #4
ShawnT316 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly
I like the KLR.
Yeah ME too! it seems to work well for what I'm using it for!

Shawn
Old 01-25-2008, 08:15 PM   #5
ShawnT316 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Even MORE . . .

In the big town of Gleeson with the declining population . . . (an old mining town) I found some old buildings that needed a "handyman"!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

After Gleeson, I turn onto Ghost Town Trail, here are the first of many signs . . .

[IMG][/IMG]

These signs, are there for a reason! In the morning I dodge rabbits, both cottontails, and jack rabbits, this morning (I leave at 5:30 am) a jack rabbit jumped from the road UP the bank, which really surprised me, as it was an almost straight up ledge, and over 6' tall, just one hop, and it was gone! I sometimes see deer also, yesterday I had some kind of hawk dive bomb me, fortunatly the moon was out quite bright, and I just barely saw it coming, so I ducked and gassed it HARD, and just missed it! In the afternoons, I usually just see these . . . of varing sizes!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Fortunatly, these were all lined up at the SIDE of the road! Somedays, they are in the middle, when I come around a corner at 60 mph!
Old 01-25-2008, 08:28 PM   #6
ShawnT316 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Even More . . .

I left work a little later than ussual today, and then had the detour for parts, but it is taking me over an extra hour to get home today, as I am stopping alot along the way to take pictures! So it is getting be low light, some of the following pictures are not the best, but You will get the idea of the ride home for me!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Who says you have to stay on the road?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

And another "Handyman special"! (Kinda hard to see in this lighting)

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-25-2008, 08:43 PM   #7
ShawnT316 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

And Still MORE!

This is where I have to go the slowest, as the front tire seems to plow or slide out from under me if I go too fast around the corners, but, I do at least double this . . .

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Now I'm on the home stretch, mostly straight, with minor curves, and a few hills, but mostly just dry washes, that in a heavy rain they can fill up quickly (flash flood!) they tend to be sandy, and soft, but usually just a strong right hand on the throttle, and keeping my heart in my chest where it belongs, and God's ever watchful hand, gets me through!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is what is left of the Pearce Bank, the hill in the background in where the gold & silve mine was/is, the brick wall still standing is all that is left of the bank building except for the concrete vault on the right! It was interesting that the mine owner had the gold made into LARGE bars, so heavy that it would take a team of horses & a wagon to haul them, that way the robbers couldn't just pick them up, and high tail it out of town!

[IMG][/IMG]

And the Cemetery . . .

[IMG][/IMG]

Warns you too . . .

[IMG][/IMG]

And look who's here . . .

[IMG][/IMG]

The town where I live . . .

[IMG][/IMG]

And parked until . . . tomorrow!

[IMG][/IMG]

ShawnT316 screwed with this post 01-26-2008 at 06:45 AM
ShawnT316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:45 PM   #8
ShawnT316 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

And, Remember . . .

Why you ride! Cuz it make you smile!

[IMG][/IMG]

I made this on my lunchbox not only to be seen better on my early morning ride to work, but to make / give people behind me a SMILE!

ShawnT316 screwed with this post 01-26-2008 at 06:46 AM
ShawnT316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:57 PM   #9
mike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,090
what a wonderful commute! you are a lucky man
Old 01-25-2008, 10:12 PM   #10
Deadly
Asphalt Adventurer!

Oddometer: 1,522
Who says you cant have fun riding to and from work!
IBA #14873
02' Nighthawk 750
My Website
Deadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:37 PM   #11
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,934
Absolutely the way to go.

Back around 80-81 I traded a gas guzzling station wagon even up for a Honda Twinstar 185 for my commute from Perrine up to the Coast Guard Base on Mac Arthur Causeway just beore Miami Beach (South Beach).

I kept it to back roads (Old Cutler Road) and up through Coconut Grove and enjoyed the ride every day. A great way to get my mind right before a 12 hour watch in the Group Miami command center and a great way to unwind after 12 hours in the commnd center before getting home.

There is no better way to get to work and back than a relaxing ride on a motorcycle. Period.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:01 PM   #12
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,309
Thumb

Great Pics, How luckyyou are to live there.
Beautiful!!!
Old 01-26-2008, 06:56 AM   #13
ShawnT316 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We moved!

Yeah, My wife & I moved out here 2 months ago from frozen Vermont! We love the warmer weather, even low 30's, sometimes mid 20's in the morning sure beats -10 in VT! Afternoons usually warm up to in the 60's, still need layers, but is rideable! I have grip warmers, but yesterday there was a heavy frost on my dumptruck when I got to work! My thumbs get cold on days like that!

I like being out here! It is the back country, Sunsites has a large population of almost 2000! Mostly retired folks who came for the 18 hole golf course! Surprisingly gas is "only" $2.799 a gallon! A nice little quiet, sleepy town. Pearce is just 2 miles down the road. We share the Post Office with Pearce, and actually Sunizona 10 mi down the road! It use to be in Pearce, but since the mine closing down, and the town is basiclly a ghost town, (there are about 25 people who live down there at most, and the elementary school is there, they move the PO up here to Sunsites, but the sign still says "Pearce"!

Sometimes I can ride all of the way to Tombstone (over 30 mi!) with out seeing any other traffic! I love it!

Shawn
Old 01-26-2008, 07:09 AM   #14
XR-TEX
Watching My Back

Oddometer: 451
Nice commute there Shawn.
Thanks for posting
XR-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:19 AM   #15
Spicy McHaggis
Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer: 3,789
Thumb

Man that's awesome...I love the "wild west" towns!!