Tundra Thumper

Oddometer: 3,278
........................Ok we'll wait

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:20 AM   #33
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Since we have an intermission I thought I'd post up my project KLR as additional reading and possible inspiration to original OP.

Hi all!
Thought I'd share a little project I ran across a few months ago. I was at a friends house and noticed that a bike I had seen 3-4yrs ago was still in the same position along side the house. My buddy knew nothing of the bike so I decided to knock on the door and inquire. Older gent answers and was enthused that not only had I seen the bike that I was interested in maybe purchasing it if it was for sale.

I spent a few minutes looking over what I could as it laid up along the brick wall (lots of stuff piled up around it) while he explained that it was his son's bike. That he had purchased it new for him when he entered college and his son had used it to commute back n forth. Once he graduated his son accepted a job outside of Az and said he'd get the bike later. 12yrs later and many many conversations Dad had with son to come get the bike has left it in its current state.

Good news was odo showed 2400 miles. Still had original tires and if you look at the pix most of the new tire nubs still attached. The 2" of dirt didn't allow much to see but what used to be a nice KLR. Cosmetically it was hard to say how bad it really was but considering its been stored in Az odds were moisture damage couldn't be too bad.

Dad had the original title, owners manual and yes, even a color matching helmet Kawasaki sold as an accessory when new. I ran some quick numbers and figured it would be a good deal at $500 but offered $250. Dad laughed and said I'd be happy to pay you to get that thing out of my yard. Needless to say I handed him a couple benjamins regardless and loaded the bike up and took it home.

The following pix were after removing tank and seat then washing, blasting and soaking the bike multiple times. His son believed in liberally applying chain lube....it must have been 1/4" thick everywhere it was flung.

Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:21 AM   #34
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Took me 3 days to get the gas cap to open. Yes, it was that corroded! And once I did wow, was that some sink in that fuel tank. It was a dark brown gooey, sticky mess that was now pure condensed Varnish. Immediately ordered this http://www.por15.com/CYCLE-TANK-REPA...ductinfo/CTRK/

A great product I've used several times with great results. It was no different this time even with this KLR tank. Once done the finish on the inside of the tank was nicer than the outside. Highly recommend this product even if your tank is in good shape. No way will your tank rust after using this. And unlike other coatings i.e. Kreme I've never seen POR15 lift, peel or otherwise compromise itself.

With the tank done I drained the oil and surprisingly it had been changed before it was parked as it was still golden brown in color. The site glass was hazed over but no question the oil was in good shape. Oil filter was bone dry and when I pulled the top engine cover it too was bone dry. I added some assembly lube to the top end and a good dousing of fresh oil. Valves were within spec and the engine turned over by hand with no problem.

Next up was electrical. With a new battery installed the headlight worked (low beam only) and tail light...no brake light. Nothing else worked. Pulled all the switches apart an found corroded contacts. Once back together everything worked just fine. I had simply touched the starter to make sure it would engage. At the same time I bypassed most of the safety switches. What was up with Kawasaki and having a relay to throw the starter relay....said good bye to that whole setup.

The next week was simply going over the entire bike. When I pulled the carb bowl my first reaction was how interesting the green color was and amazed at how sticky and resistent the remaining fuel was attached to everything. Completely disassembled the carb and allowed a good 2 day soak. Upon reassembly I made some jetting changes, KLX needle and made the fuel screw adjustable.

Overall the bike was in pretty good shape. The only area that was bad was the swing arm pivot shafts. Both had good water into them and while they allowed the rear suspension to move properly it took a 3lb sledge hammer and a good hour to get them out. Yes, ruined both shafts but new ones were available from Kawasaki. Bearings were surprisingly good so just a regrease. Also, steering stem bearings looked new and even the garbage lith clear grease from assembly was in great shape.

So, saturday I got the bike back together and the moment had finally arrived...will she start? Poured some gas in, thumbed the starter and within 3 cranks she fired right up. Whoohoo! Did a couple short breakin rides then took her out for a 100 mile loop. Oh, did I mention the rear shock had no damping? Here's some pix of Saturday

Old 07-07-2011, 09:37 AM   #35
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

As far as petcock I did try the Ebay rebuild kit but it later failed. Ended up purchasing a new OEM...not that expensive considering. Its been 18 months since I completed the rebuild. My intentions from the beginning was to get it running and sell it. Besides, who in their right mind would like a underpowered, overweight and poorly suspended bike. Lets not even get into the 80's Barbie paint color. Little did I know I actually liked the stupid thing and just turned 23,000 miles on it. As far as paint, I've determined that its so ugly that its almost cool and would never consider changing it.

During my 20K miles with the bike I have made a few upgrades. Keeping in the KLR tradition I sourced a late 80's KTM WP shock and converted it to fit the KLR....huge improvement! As many know the brakes on the KLR are pathetic and when a FedEx truck just about out braked me I decided it was time to address the issue. Rather than go the larger rotor route I ended up transferring the radial Mstr cylinder from an 08 CBR1000RR to the KLR. Now she actually brakes pretty good. I've added Highwaydirtbike hand guards and made a few additional changes to the seat before throwing a cover on it.

I've done 300-400 mile days with no issue and will cruise on the highway at 85 mph as long as there's no headwind. She makes for a great around town bike and while its certainly no dirt bike it can go through, down, around some places you wouldn't expect a 400+lb bike could go.

I hope that your project bike turns out well and you find the allure of riding/owning one of the ugliest, cheapest bikes around.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:50 AM   #36
MotoBoss
Tundra Thumper

Oddometer: 3,278
Awesome build. I need a find like that! Great job on the rebuild and bringing another relic back to life.

Now about that color

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #37
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
Not a whole lot to report.

I took the bike to a top shelf professional certified welder I know. He looked it over and we've come up with a game plan. I'm going to get a piece of muffler tubing and cut and form it to the shape of the top of the frame, including the studs where the sub-frame bolts on. Then he's going to weld the crack and the reenforcing piece.

He also shared my opinion that Kawasaki used too thin of a section of mild steel tubing for the back bone of the bike. Having the shock mount and the sub-frame bolt mounts onto top of each other is putting a lot of stress on that thin piece of tubing. He thinks a little reinforcement on top will be more than enough for the application (and should have been done at the factory or thicker material to begin with ).

Now the bad part is he' going on summer vacation and can't do it for almost a month.

So, I won't crack open the engine until he's back and about ready, since I'm not going to do a major dis-assembly twice in the space of a couple of weeks.

So in the meantime I'll slowly get together the parts I need to get the job done.

Sweet.........700 bucks isn`t bad.........if i could get one here for that price i`d be on it........frame welding,no big deal......pulling the head off and lapping the valves if the bore is good is`nt bad either.......this could be a low buck build in the end....prob right arround a thou ...

Spending a thou .........gettin in some alone/wrench time and ending up with a usable bike is pretty sweet......i say you did good....unless the cylinder is in poor condition....let`s hope not

Yup.....nothing better than wrenchin and drinking beer,,,,good times

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:05 AM   #38
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilia View Post
As far as petcock I did try the Ebay rebuild kit but it later failed. Ended up purchasing a new OEM...not that expensive considering. Its been 18 months since I completed the rebuild. My intentions from the beginning was to get it running and sell it. Besides, who in their right mind would like a underpowered, overweight and poorly suspended bike. Lets not even get into the 80's Barbie paint color. Little did I know I actually liked the stupid thing and just turned 23,000 miles on it. As far as paint, I've determined that its so ugly that its almost cool and would never consider changing it.

During my 20K miles with the bike I have made a few upgrades. Keeping in the KLR tradition I sourced a late 80's KTM WP shock and converted it to fit the KLR....huge improvement! As many know the brakes on the KLR are pathetic and when a FedEx truck just about out braked me I decided it was time to address the issue. Rather than go the larger rotor route I ended up transferring the radial Mstr cylinder from an 08 CBR1000RR to the KLR. Now she actually brakes pretty good. I've added Highwaydirtbike hand guards and made a few additional changes to the seat before throwing a cover on it.

I've done 300-400 mile days with no issue and will cruise on the highway at 85 mph as long as there's no headwind. She makes for a great around town bike and while its certainly no dirt bike it can go through, down, around some places you wouldn't expect a 400+lb bike could go.

I hope that your project bike turns out well and you find the allure of riding/owning one of the ugliest, cheapest bikes around.

WTF........you do know you can start your own thread.........right.......before you go posting in another guys thread you should at least ask first out of respect.........if i was a mod i`d kick you and your posts to the curb......but that`s me......

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #39
LostHighway
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Sweet

Ha ha, I love it... "Hey, you're taking too long with your posts so I'll just get in there and take over!"

Nice "custom" seat on the second KLR....

So, first OP... have you considered just buying a used/new KLR engine and saving yourself a lot of grief? Rest assured, you will still have a LOT to work on regardless?
Old 07-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #40
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,706
I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned...

but due to the fact that the bike sat for 3 years, the possibility of the piston rings being stuck is a real issue. Especially if the bike was shut down last with the piston at the bottom of the stroke. Just a thought.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #41
gravelklr
gravelklr

Oddometer: 15
I'm in......and good luck!
gravelklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:13 PM   #42
Kawidad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostHighway View Post
So, first OP... have you considered just buying a used/new KLR engine and saving yourself a lot of grief? Rest assured, you will still have a LOT to work on regardless?
Yes, but I've decided to roll the bones and stick with the original engine and hope it's just valve seats.

Whole engines aren't cheap and you never know what you're getting anyway. So, it's a crap shoot either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
but due to the fact that the bike sat for 3 years, the possibility of the piston rings being stuck is a real issue. Especially if the bike was shut down last with the piston at the bottom of the stroke. Just a thought.
Yeah, I was afraid of that too, but it turned over perfectly and I got it running, just not well.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:20 AM   #43
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
I drained the oil and pulled the filter. I examined both carefully and they looked great. The filter especially looked surprisingly good and clear of debris.
Did the oil filter have the metal bypass tube sticking out of it? If not the PO tossed it and the oils just kinda been flowing across the filter, not through it.

Mine ran for awhile like that as I didn't notice it when I did the first oil change (I know I didn't toss it because I carefully compared filters not trusting my Del Amo Motorsports to give me the right filter).

If it's missing Fred at Arrowhead Motorsports generally has it in stock, they saved me!
GSequoia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:01 AM   #44
Kawidad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSequoia View Post
Did the oil filter have the metal bypass tube sticking out of it? If not the PO tossed it and the oils just kinda been flowing across the filter, not through it.

Mine ran for awhile like that as I didn't notice it when I did the first oil change (I know I didn't toss it because I carefully compared filters not trusting my Del Amo Motorsports to give me the right filter).

If it's missing Fred at Arrowhead Motorsports generally has it in stock, they saved me!
Yes. It was in place and everything was properly done.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:09 PM   #45
Kawidad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

At the same time I bypassed most of the safety switches. What was up with Kawasaki and having a relay to throw the starter relay....said good bye to that whole setup.

Quote:
During my 20K miles with the bike I have made a few upgrades. Keeping in the KLR tradition I sourced a late 80's KTM WP shock and converted it to fit the KLR....huge improvement!

Details?