Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2011, 06:58 AM   #76
Kawidad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByU06 View Post
Does that mean U won't be riding with us CCKLR riders tomorrow=Sat. up to Big Sur?Good lucky with Your Project M/C.

Didn't know anything about it, but obviously no. Today will be partially spent pulling the carb cleaning it AGAIN.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:11 PM   #77
Kawidad OP
Beastly Adventurer

IT IS ALIVE!

I pulled the carb and found the pilot jet was totally clogged and the emulsion tube was also partially clogged with black bits floating the bottom of the float bowl. The only thing I can think of is I put a new fuel line on it and it had some junk in it. So, I cleaned it all up and it started instantly. I'm currently heat cycling it, but so far so good.

More to follow as I move forward.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:45 AM   #78
chaztor
KLR tank commander

Oddometer: 223
Nice! Congrats and thanks for adding to my trouble shooting library.
chaztor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #79
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,066
I figured you`d find the pilot jet plugged at the very least..........so how`s it running,go riding yet

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:37 PM   #80
Kawidad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
I figured you`d find the pilot jet plugged at the very least..........so how`s it running,go riding yet

B
Sort of. The bike is non-op'd, so my riding has to be limited and very discreet.

I'm going to go in this week and put it back on the books and insure it, so I can ride and road test it more freely. In my limited observations, it runs good. It is very smooth for a big single. It has good torque characteristics, but does lack raw horsepower. Brakes and suspension suck, but I knew that going into the deal. However, it might work out for my intended usage. More to follow as I get some seat time in, and some more pictures and maybe a video. However, it doesn't look a whole lot better than when I started since I spent my time and money on the mechanicals and is now onto the cosmetic.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:15 AM   #81
Kawidad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Still trying to get through the DMV hassle. My attempt was only successful in that they were more than happy to take my money, but not so happy to give me the registration tab. The procedures are apparently different for a non-op vehicle, so hopefully today I can get it straight.

Hopefully this works............

Old 09-03-2011, 06:35 PM   #82
Kevinhooa
Pitch pine slalom

Oddometer: 420
Awesome. Glad to hear about the great success.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:24 PM   #83
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,102
.. good luck with the DMV .. good to read you are up and running .. pretty kewl and not-so-very expensive .. time to go have some fun ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:13 AM   #84
Kawidad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Okay, I got the DMV stuph done Friday and got a couple of buddies rounded up yesterday, Sunday, to go for a shake down ride. I've been riding around the neighborhood with good results. A few minor things to figure out, but nothing major. I've learned to never ride alone on shake down rides, because it can go from shake down to break down very quickly.

One guy was on his XChallenge and the other on his XR650L (I also own an XRL, but that's another story). You'll see why I mention this as you read below.

We started the ride on the slab to get to a Forest Service road. The path took us about 40 miles of 2 lane back roads, including about 10 miles of twisty 2 lane mountain roads that is a favorite of local canyon carvers, then onto about 10 miles of 2 lane state highway before coming to the USFS dirt road.

From the get-go the bike ran really well. Very smooth (for a big single) and responsive. I still don't have a back brake. I got a disc and tried to get the old on off, but 2 out of 6 bolts are trashed and need to be replaced, so I left it alone until I can get replacement bolts. I've also got a weird clunk in the front end, but I was able to diagnose that as a loose instrument cluster. I have a loose bolt somewhere that rattles at certain RPMs. That'll be funny to track down. NOT.

To make a long story shorter, the bike died suddenly about a mile into the USFS trail/road. It gave no warning, it just died. Because of the suddenness it seemed like it was electrical in nature, however, after about an hour of trying to diagnose it we determined it was the petcock valve that failed. The vacuum mechanism froze in place and would not allow fuel to flow. So, I took it apart and disabled the vacuum mechanism by removing the o-ring. Unfortunately, the gasket is shot, so when the fuel is turned on, it leaks dangerously. So, a phone call to home and the wife brought the truck for a rescue and a tow home.

Now onto the good part. I like the bike. It is very smooth and runs well. As part of the ride, I switched bikes with the Honda rider so we could both evaluate each others sleds back-to-back. Here's my observations about the 2 bikes. The KLR is much smoother with a much slicker transmission with no funny gaps (like the XRL). I like the KLR riding position much better. To me, the XRL has a horrible riding position that can only be made liveable with tall bars or high risers, but nothing can be done about the pegs which are too high. Even with a lower kit (which this bike has) the bike is nose bleed tall and top heavy. The KLR carries it's weight much lower and is more stable because of it. However, the brakes and suspension on the XRL are miles beyond the Kawq. I can't even imagine what KHI is thinking when they saddled a really nice machine with such crap components (not to mention the Doo). In the end, they maybe saved a few thousand yen, but hurt their sales by a much higher margin than that. Also, people rave about the HP of the Honda and complain about the lack thereof of the KLR. However, to my seat of the pants dyno and some discreet roll on testing , I didn't notice any lack of power. To me, I think the Honda is much more raw giving it the appearance of power; whereas the KLR is so smooth the power delivery is deceptive and couldn't be too far off of the Honda, if at all.

So at the end of the day, I'd say it's a keeper.

Here's the only picture I took. Sorry, for the crap cell phone, but I totally spaced and forgot my camera.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #85
Kawidad OP
Beastly Adventurer

While I'm doing things with my bike. Here's a couple of things I did.

The first thing is to fabricate a new radiator guard. I made using a piece of scrap steel. It is used at a local rock and gravel quarry used to sift rocks down to gravel size. I cut it out and spot welded the edges and then painted it with muffler paint.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:18 PM   #86
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,102
.. very nice ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post

The first thing is to fabricate a new radiator guard. I made using a piece of scrap steel. It is used at a local rock and gravel quarry used to sift rocks down to gravel size. I cut it out and spot welded the edges and then painted it with muffler paint.

.. looks much more durable and protective than the stock one .. I may have to head over to the local brickyard to see if they have any of that laying about .. great idea ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:50 PM   #87
Kawidad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well, it's about time to conclude the rebuild thread. Or, maybe continue it as a farkle thread.

I took a 150 mile jaunt today. Mostly street, back roads and a little highway, in order to get to some USFS jeep roads and some single tracks.

The first road we took that was supposed to go to some dirt stuff was closed. This was due to bridge repair. Not happy, but fair enough. We detoured an additional 20 miles on pavement to get to the USFS dirt stuff.

I'd love to have something to report on a single track, but unfortunately the econazis within the USFS have closed the entire trail network. No posting, no explanation, just closed.

So, instead we took the alternate route on the jeep roads. Well, guess what? That too was closed. Again, no posting, no explanation, just a gate. The only good thing was we got about 10 miles of honest jeep trail type roads to evaluate the bike before having to turn around, instead of riding to where the dirt road dumped back onto pavement.

So instead of ranting about how much I really hate the enviro-idiot movement, I'll focus on my evaluation of the bike.

In short, I like it.

The suspension is really horrible, but I'm coming from a WR400 (my other dirty girl), so it's maybe not a fair comparison. The brakes are also horrible. You have to really be careful to set up your turns on dirt or street, because there is no such thing as late braking. The seat too is not that great. Not horrible, just not very good. But, to be fair, the foam is pretty tired, so I'll cut the bike some slack on that one. The good is the smooth motor with a really nice shifting transmission. It has decent horsepower and good torque that is very linear. Very nice. Also, despite the horrible suspension, it carries it's weight low, which helps the bike to handle better than it would otherwise. In fact, on twisty pavement, it handles downright reasonable.

It seems to me that if you understand the bike's limitations and ride it within those parameters, then its a good bike. If you try to make into something that its not, then you'll be disappointed.

My game plan now is to start a modest farkling. Try to keep the above observation in mind.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:50 PM   #88
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,066
Quote:

Pretty sweet Chris.good idea....i think the KLR is a nice bike...some bucks into a good suspension would be money well spent...

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:14 PM   #89
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 45,621
Quote:
Okay. I'm back and pulled the thermostat housing. I couldn't find anything that looked wrong and the gasket looked okay, so I cheated and used a little bit of silicon to seal it up. It worked like a charm, no more leaks.

I thumbed the starter and it started immediately. However, it won't stay running for anything longer than a couple of seconds. It settles into a normal fast idle for about a second or two and then dies. If I give it any throttle, it dies instantly. If I try to start it without the choke, no dice at all.

I already cleaned the carb and it looked really good in the first place. I've also check the tank vents and rebuilt the petcock.

It acts like carburation, but I'm not sure. I pulled the valve cover off to double check the cam timing, and it looked good. I guess I'll pull the carb and check it again.
Fresh gas won't hurt, either.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:28 AM   #90
Kawidad OP
Beastly Adventurer

I decided to bring my thread back for a couple of reasons.

First off, I want to let inmates know of my experience with Tusk gaskets. I used a Tusk (ya' should know where those came from) gasket kit. The kit is really inexpensive and knew I was taking a chance on the quality. Well, it bit me. The base gasket is leaking like a sieve. I've had to order a factory base gasket and will go back in and replace it. Most of the other gaskets within the kit were okay. It was just that one. So, I guess if I knew what I know now going in, I would have ordered the kit with the factory base gasket and called it good. Oh well.

Secondly, I've decided to post up some of my upgrades/farkles.

As I noted earlier, the brakes and suspension really bring the bike down. So............

I picked up from another inmate a used blown Progressive shock for cheeeeeepppppp. It is currently at a local suspension shop getting rebuilt. Hopefully, the overall cost will be KLR friendly.

I also picked up from still another inmate raising links for the rear. I think part of the problem with the back end is it's too low. Kawasaki did it on purpose of course, trying to keep the seat height low, but I think it creates problems with the linkage ratios. So my theory is to raise the back end up slightly to give the linkage more leverage, so to speak, to improve handling.

The rear brake is still an unresolved problem. I've rebuilt it and used two different types of pads with a new disc and it still sux ass. I may have to live with it or look at a donor caliper assembly and graft it onto the bike.

I am currently scouting around for a donor bike to graft a new front end onto the KLR to cure the other end of the problem. Front brakes and suspension.

I am also currently replacing the entire tail end with a hybrid MX type set up. I'll post pictures when I get it done. I took off the factory assembly and weighed it. Holy crap! That mess weighed over 4 lbs on my digital scale. My new set up will weigh under a pound. Don't get me wrong, the original assembly was well made, just too agricultural for my tastes.

More to follow............