Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2011, 07:33 AM   #91
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Ha Ha I have been following this thread, and I like where you are heading. I have picked up alot of useful tips and info, thanks. Please keep us informed.
WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:15 PM   #92
Kawidad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,554
Thanks for the kind words.

Onto the next thing. I found a deal on Fleabay for a muffler and head pipe that I couldn't pass up. They are well used, but in overall good condition with a nice price, so I jumped. The header is a Big Gun and the pipe is an FMF Q4 with the sparky and core. It needs repacking, which I get around to someday. With a little elbow grease and some new header paint, here ya' go.

If you looked carefully in picture #2, you'll see a little sneak peak on the rear fender and rack modifications. I'll post more with more pictures when I get all the pieces together.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:20 AM   #93
Kawidad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Okay. I've basically got the new tail end look completed. I say basically, because I do have a wiring issue that needs to be tracked down. I have a short somewhere in the turnsignal wiring somewhere. Oh, well that's not really related to my efforts, just another problem associated with buying a used motorcycle that was obviously abused.

Anyway, here's some pix for you.

As you may notice in the above picture, I cut out the rear shelf and drilled 4 holes in the back of the rack. I did this to increase the tie down points. I didn't really see much utility to having the shelf there, so away it went. It was easy to cut it with my Roto-zip keeping to the original lines.

Here is a shot without lights. I used a donor fender from a KDX motocross ad-on fender. It is a Maier brand, which would not have been my first choice, but it was free. The plastic under mount is from a donor R1. I got it off of eBay for cheap and it fit perfectly for what I wanted to accomplish.

This one shows how I cut the fender and then mounted it.

Finished product!

I like it, hope ya'll do too.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:23 AM   #94
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,105
.. nicely done ..

.. looks good ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:37 AM   #95
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!

Oddometer: 1,590
Great work, I'm glad ol' girl found the "right" home

Keep us updated would ya!

NEW Scorpion Passport XL suit for sale
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:56 AM   #96
Kawidad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well, I was hoping by now to have posted a major update with new pictures. However, the suspension guru I mentioned in an earlier posting has let me down repeatedly. I brought the shock to him in early December and he said no problem with the rebuild and it should be done in a week. Well, it's now the end of Jan and still no shock. Lots of excuses, but ya'll know about them.

Anyway, the product is supposedly in and was supposed to be in my hot little hands yesterday, but it's not.

My game plan has been and is to replace the leaking base gasket at the same time I take it apart for the shock to save time and effort. So, the wait continues..........
Old 01-23-2012, 08:16 AM   #97
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,408
Love the rebuild, truly a nice looking bike you've resurrected. Sucks that your shock is stuck "in transit" but hopefully soon you'll have it in your hands!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #98
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,846
Thanks for updating and letting us see the project from beginning to (hopefully) end.
I'm quite interested to see how the suspension turns out on this. Many people leave the stock suspension alone and just deal with it. Saying well it's STILL gonna be just a klr and they don't want to put any money into it.

However with the ease of getting higher quality components either through ebay or CL for super cheap I think that argument is invalid. You can find a whole used front end sometimes for the cost of a new set of progressive springs.

Very curious to see how this turns out.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:56 AM   #99
Kawidad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ah, lookie what brown Santa brought to me.

This thing is a work of art. Far too pretty to put onto a POS KLR.

Oh, well too bad, in it goes. While installing it I made some interesting and not so good discoveries. First, I pulled the linkage apart to check the bearings and grease them. That's when I discovered they've never been apart or serviced. No surprise there, since the PO was a toolbox. However, that's the bad news. The good news is the bearings other than being dry as a bone, were in good shape. Luckily, the bike was a desert bike and not ridden in the wet stuff. However, more bad news which is I couldn't get the bolt out of the frame that holds the linkage onto the bike. It is completely frozen in place. Since the bearings were okay, just dry, I left it for another day. My plan for that is when I change the oil (drain) I'll place the bike onto its side and then soak the bolt with penetrating oil and then have a go at it again. I think I'll be okay, I just have to have the right plan.

Another piece of bad news, is when I took the top end down to repair the leaking base gasket I discovered it is burning a little oil. Nothing too dramatic, but it is for sure burning some oil. It could be that I don't have enough hours on the rings to have set them all the way, which is what I'm hoping for, since the leak was so bad I haven't been riding it. Or the cylinder was worse off than my mechanic diagnosed. Time will tell. If it's burning oil and it doesn't go away, then I'll go big bore.

However, onto better things.

I found my donor front end. It is off of an 02 YZ125. My suspension guy hooked me up with this. It was a customer of his who scattered the engine 4 years ago and it's been sitting in a shed ever since. I offered them $200 for the complete front end. With a little drama later it was mine. However, this is a definite back burner project. It just happened to be the right price, so I jumped.

More to come..................
Old 01-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #100
Kawidad OP
Beastly Adventurer

I forgot to include another present Brown Santa brought to me.

Man, that thing is sturdy!!!!!!!!!

I also forgot to mention that when I was replacing the shock, I replaced the dog bones with 1" rising links. As I had previously mentioned, I think part of the handling problems with the KLRs (aside from their weight) is that Kawasaki in trying to keep the seat height low, shortened the linkage too much and that causes some ratio issues. Anyway, as a side note. The stock dog bones must weigh about a full pound (well, almost) all together. No wonder the bike is so heavy what with all the small parts being so over built and old school.

Anyway, I spent a good part of yesterday putting it all together. Here it is. It's almost done.

The front end is the last piece of the puzzle, which is going to have to wait for a while. But, not too long.

As a teaser for my plan. The Yamaha front end with the stock headlight and instruments removed, to be replaced by lighter more modern components.

Oh, and that seat has to go too.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #101
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,741
That gas tank is huge! 7 gallons?
Old 01-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #102
murmont
n00b

Oddometer: 2
great project completed there chief.
well done and congratulations on a super job
murmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:09 AM   #103
Kawidad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayjars View Post
That gas tank is huge! 7 gallons?

IMS 6.6 gallon. I don't care for the design because there's too much volume of gas below the petcock's lowest draw level. Meaning you carry too much gasoline that is not usable, but are still carrying the extra weight anyway. Not a good design by IMS IMO.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #104
Kawidad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well I took it out on a 150 mile dual sport ride for a shake down/evaluation ride. I found the new rear set up made a HUGE difference. The bike handles so much better it's not even funny. I can't quantify on my theory about the rising links, but I still think it's part of the problem. Either way they stay in since it worked so well. Very pleased.

No onto the front end, which still sux azz.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #105
Artful
Mid-life crisis time

Oddometer: 33
Wow, quite the project - you are doing some great stuff there.
Artful is offline   Reply With Quote