User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2014, 10:26 AM   #1
DynastySS OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Ducati Panigale vs. Tuono V4R: NYC to SF - 1st bike on a tow truck loses

The day is here, and it is finally time for me to go home.

Background

Howdy -my name is Cameron and I am a Bay boy.

I moved to NYC roughly seven years ago and have thoroughly enjoyed most everything NYC has to offer. That said, as much as I love my friends, coworkers, and the city itself, I couldn't come to grips with becoming a "New Yorker". What I have learned in my seven years here is that everyone has a different definition for what constitutes a New Yorker. Undoubtedly some people become adopted children of the city the day they move here, but for me it always felt like I was always just buying time. I knew one day I would move back to California, and that time has come.

It has always been a life long dream to ride across country, so I have decided to take two weeks off to move and I will be traversing the country on my new bike.

Riding Experience

Truth be told, I much prefer riding on the track than I do on the street. I am not particularly fast, but I do occasionally like getting my knee down...and elbow...and shoulder...and butt.

IMGP4867

Cross Country Whip

IMGP5808

I bought my 2014 899 Panigale in November. It subsequently sat at the dealer until March, and I have since put on 680 miles and performed the first service. I have added a few goodies such as Termis, but I also have been working hard at making it long distance worthy. In that vein, I have hardwired a USB cable to charge my phone (AKA my GPS), and I also replaced the steering stem to support a ram ball.

IMGP5797

For comfort I upgraded to the gel seat, and I bought an Airhawk in case it is ever really killer. I also had to get very creative with my Kriega mounting points, but I am now able to mount the US20 and US10 to the rear.

IMGP5798

In regards to my all too common track experiences, I have decided to attach a spirit animal to my bike. Hopefully that wards off any issues!

IMGP5833

Why a Panigale?!

I can't tell you how many people have called me a moron for choosing this bike as my touring rig. Honestly, I couldn't imagine doing it on any other bike. There are countless more reliable and comfortable bikes I could have bought, but why would I want to do that? Motorcycling is inherently illogical, therefore I have decided to do this journey of a lifetime on the bike I lust after. That aside, if anyone has an in with the Italian gods, do you mind calling in a favor for me and asking for 4000 miles of trouble free riding? Thanks!

La Ruta

IMGP5862

As many of you know, Google has a restriction on how many POIs you can use per map (thanks for that Google). So I have broken the route into 9 different files. I converted all of them to GPX and will be using Osmand as my GPS.

Schedule

The journey starts at 8:00 am on Saturday (4/19/2014). I hope to be back in the Bay Area by 5/4. That leaves me about ~250 miles a day of riding, which should be a nice blend of soaking in the culture, appreciating the environment, and resting my sore body.

I will be staying in motels along the way, and would love to avoid riding at night. I also will have my DSLR and laptop and will be updating this thread daily!

Ok- so what about this Tuono you mentioned?

Some of the more observant ones among us will notice that I haven't mentioned the Aprilia at all. Well, we have a mystery guest to introduce! For nearly 6 months I planned on going solo, but a few weeks ago my friend caught wind of the trip and has decided to join on his brand new Aprilia Tuono V4R with me. I am excited to have a riding partner on this trip, but I will let him introduce himself.

Here is a little teaser of his bike!

IMGP5862

DynastySS screwed with this post Yesterday at 07:27 AM
DynastySS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:33 AM   #2
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Sounds interesting, Hope you have a great/safe trip. I do My long distance traveling on my R1. Check Antiheros thread, he has done a trip around the country on his 1198 Pani. and is planning his around the world trip on it, right now.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:41 AM   #3
Chisenhallw
Kilted Terror

Oddometer: 3,659
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:11 PM   #4
nineTofive
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Im not really into the street bike road riding thing, but overall looks like you two are going to have a great time.

Be safe out there!

Cheers
aaron
nineTofive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:16 PM   #5
MassiveLee
It's a small world

Oddometer: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynastySS View Post
That leaves me about ~250 miles a day of riding
Are you riding or are you pushing your bike? Sorry, I couldn't help it...

Anyway, yo guys are gonna have a lot of fun. Don't forget to take a lot of pictures.
-- Stolen
1990 Honda CBR1000F (the love of my life) -- Sold when son was born
2001 BMW K1200RS aka Good Girl -- Current + 2006 BMW R1150GSA aka Kim Kardashian -- Current

MassiveLee screwed with this post 04-15-2014 at 12:24 PM
MassiveLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:32 PM   #6
DynastySS OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveLee View Post
Are you riding or are you pushing your bike? Sorry, I couldn't help it...

Anyway, yo guys are gonna have a lot of fun. Don't forget to take a lot of pictures.
The bike is slow, it may be difficult to get the speed to get to those 250 miles

I promise I will take tons of photos. It is a hobby of mine!
Old 04-15-2014, 03:59 PM   #7
fafaforza
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Good on you for avoiding I-95 going south. What a boring road, even by interstate standards. 78 to 81 is much better, and lots of off-ramps to hit up some Pennsylvania country roads.

You might want to pass by Winchester, VA. A good amount of history there. I'm not much of a history buff but it was cool to be in a colonial-like town that Washington spent a good amount of time in.

You also have the Summit Point track nearby. I went down there this weekend on the SV1000S, about 300 easy miles per day, it was perfect.
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:17 PM   #8
MassiveLee
It's a small world

Oddometer: 364
And what if...

Considering you will be riding short days, what about going to Chicago and following the mythical Route 66 from its first marker down to the pier in the Pacific. There are many websites with details info. Sometimes, you will be riding highways because the Route has disapeared, and sometimes you will be back in 1930s America... I have done it 25 years ago, the another time, and many things have changed. Including the demolition of the world famous Club Café in Santa Rosa, New Mexico... But I still have the tshirt ;-)

-- Stolen
1990 Honda CBR1000F (the love of my life) -- Sold when son was born
2001 BMW K1200RS aka Good Girl -- Current + 2006 BMW R1150GSA aka Kim Kardashian -- Current
MassiveLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:46 PM   #9
RhinoVonHawkrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,074
Good Luck & Stay Safe

U'll be passing me within ur 1st 2 hrs, but my V-Twin is down

Watch the Jersey Troopers on 78 - weekends they like to hang out.

I know time is of the essence, but I would do as many backroads as possible.

There is no reason to be on Interstates, unless time is an issue.
http://www.greenenergysports.com/
RhinoVonHawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:36 PM   #10
DynastySS OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveLee View Post
And what if...

Considering you will be riding short days, what about going to Chicago and following the mythical Route 66 from its first marker down to the pier in the Pacific. There are many websites with details info. Sometimes, you will be riding highways because the Route has disapeared, and sometimes you will be back in 1930s America... I have done it 25 years ago, the another time, and many things have changed. Including the demolition of the world famous Club Café in Santa Rosa, New Mexico... But I still have the tshirt ;-)

Honestly, I would love to do this trip. I even have a special girl in Chicago who is pushing for me to swing by, but I just don't think it makes sense this time around. Plus, I don't know if I will ever get the chance to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway/Cherohala again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoVonHawkrider View Post
Good Luck & Stay Safe

U'll be passing me within ur 1st 2 hrs, but my V-Twin is down

Watch the Jersey Troopers on 78 - weekends they like to hang out.

I know time is of the essence, but I would do as many backroads as possible.

There is no reason to be on Interstates, unless time is an issue.
Thanks for the advice! I tried to craft my trip to have as much small roads and twisties as possible. The only real day with any interstate is day one!
Old 04-15-2014, 09:44 PM   #11
AntiHero
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 763
No way. You'll never make it. Too uncomfortable, too thirsty, too unruly, too fragile.
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:18 PM   #12
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 6,733
This is going to be good.
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:47 AM   #13
oldtouring B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Brp

Will put a smile on your face for months! Regarding the skyway, there is one decreasing radius turn that can bite you. Since a bad accident they have marked the street with white stripes. Other than that one spot, it is amazing. It may get a little chilly at the top.

Have the trip of a lifetime and ride safe.
oldtouring B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:18 AM   #14
Goblimon
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Laugh

Have fun and be safe... waiting for the pics
Goblimon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:03 AM   #15
DynastySS OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtouring B View Post
Will put a smile on your face for months! Regarding the skyway, there is one decreasing radius turn that can bite you. Since a bad accident they have marked the street with white stripes. Other than that one spot, it is amazing. It may get a little chilly at the top.

Have the trip of a lifetime and ride safe.
Thanks so much!

What do the white stripes signify?

DynastySS screwed with this post 04-16-2014 at 07:23 AM
DynastySS is online now   Reply With Quote