User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #1531
Cariboostrom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Awesome

That video was delightful. I just sat here with my morning coffee, singing along with Cuccaracha and bobbing my head side to side as your bike took the amazing curves...great way to start my day here in the Great White North, on a -14C morning. Love the ride report Sheldon and Ewa. Carry on.....
Cariboostrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:54 PM   #1532
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 1,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cariboostrom View Post
That video was delightful. I just sat here with my morning coffee, singing along with Cuccaracha and bobbing my head side to side as your bike took the amazing curves...great way to start my day here in the Great White North, on a -14C morning. Love the ride report Sheldon and Ewa. Carry on.....

It was a fun ride so thought id have a bit of fun with the video, it was like that for the whole 230 kilometres I was actually really exhausted by the time I got off the bike. Glad you enjoyed the video.
rideforsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:02 AM   #1533
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Icebreaker View Post
Ahhh, to think that it's freezing here! I have just put my F800GS into hibernation, until spring!

Where to next? Palenque?

We are heading to Palenque but Ev had some roads marked out on the map to do down to Puerto Escondido from here in Oaxaca and back up through some more amazing riding, then we have the 190 towards Palenque without the detour and that looks great as well, we really have to start making tracks to another country as there still a few things we want to see in the Yucatan, I know it sounds silly but we have to be in Brazil in June next year and there is just so much we would like to see in that time and I don't want to just blow through some of the countries. We will wake up in the morning and decide left or right its no big deal toss of the coin job I reckon. hasn't let me down yet.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #1534
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Got up this morning Ev was already packing the bike and had been up the road to get some breakfast, that's one of the things we are noticing here in Mexico Ewa is feeling absolutely safe walking the streets taking in the textile museum yesterday afternoon by herself, yeah as if I want to go to that definitely better she goes by herself, it's really nice she feels that way though, says a lot about the safety concerns of Mexico if you have any.

The world Cup draw was on this morning Mexico time so watched that before we left, the Aussies got a tough draw with Spain Netherlands and Chile. Look that sort of sucks but the reality of it is The Australian team was highly unlikely to get out of the group stage anyway so at least this way we get to play the reigning World Cup holders and fellow finalists and if we give them a decent run for their money it will be great for Australian soccer, and as in anything you never say never, anything can happen, I know what drugs have I been taking

The good news now we know where we have to be in Brazil in June and our first game is June 13 in Cuiada in the west over near Bolivia, then our final two group game are in the south Port Allegro and then a few hours back north to some other town which slips my mind at the moment.

So our plan is still to head over to Guyana Surinam and French Guyana but instead of getting the ferry from Macapa to Belem we will get it to Santarim up the Amazon which I'm really excited about , it will be cool, from reports the say its much better to go up the river by boat than down as it hugs the shore as when it comes down river it hangs in the middle to get the best of the current.

After watching the draw both I and Ev agreed that we would just ditch her rides to the south and back and just head south towards Palenque so that's what we did. The 190 from Oaxaca south is fantastic riding the road must of been newly resurfaced as it wound through the hills and it was just perfect, minimal traffic good scenery, made for a great days riding.

We got to where we were going to stop but the expressway beckoned us so I turned onto it and killed another 150 k's which just makes tomorrows ride all that much easier. We don't plan getting any further than San Cristobel apparently its really nice there so that where we will stop for the night before heading over to Palenque.

Photos to come tomorrow I'm actually really sore in my legs again after todays 400 k ride which is weird though the rides have been through the major twisties and Im not your putt putt type of rider when it comes to those sorts of roads.

Preparing to leave Oaxaca with the regulation Coke and Ciggie.

Anyone for a Mezcal Tequila.

Some more of the great riding here in Mexico, these photos taken on Hwy 190 south of Oaxaca

I took this one off a video I just thought it looked good enough to put in the blog.

Local obstacles

You will be hard pressed to find better riding anywhere than here along Hwy 190 south of Oaxaca, the road surface was brilliant. When we finished riding for the day I felt my tires and tyres and they were like glue, I got Ev to push her finger on them as well she was amazed at just how sticky they were on the edges, what a fantastic days riding.

If only it was this easy.

It's just wonderful how Mexico are taking proactive steps to clean up there pollution problem, clean energy all the way baby.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-10-2013 at 06:37 PM
Old 12-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #1535
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We got up mid morning we weren't in to much of a hurry to get to San Cristobal its been there for a few hundred years already it isnt going anywhere so packed up nice and easy. When Ev gets in packing mode shes like a hundred miles an hour, I have to remind her to slow down a little which she always does, its funny to see her going at it while i lay there, you know how it goes, come on honey massage, come on massage, Im sore, my neck hurts, relax honey, is the bike packed yet, slow down your making me tired watching you run around in the hot gear sweating, the things I put myself through I dont know.

We left the hotel and went across the road to grab somethig to eat for brekkie but the shop was pretty poorly stocked with the standard biscuits chips and crap like that, neither of us felt like eating that kind of thing again, there is heaps of food shops in Mexico but 90% sell just snacks and drinks and that kind of rubbish both of us have had enough of that for now, well in my case Ive had enough for a day or two, Ive been living on that shit for pretty much years now.

We decided to get lunch in the next big town so off we went, it was only a 150 k's or something from where we were and the road conditions were good with some winding sections to start off with then expressway. We got to the first toll booth with the weather starting to look a bit dark so we stopped at the little shop just on the tollway to put our wet weather gear on just in case, again the shop had just snacks so we just had a drink and kept going, the next town was only 60k's away now. We got to thr city of Tuxtla Gutierrez it was a fairly big town, we had looked at staying there when we were looking at the maps a few days ago as people had said it was nice.

We got to the outskirts and and the bypass took us around the outisde of the town which Ev was tapping me on the shoulder to take but I lifted my visor and said I can smell a Mac attack baby, I could hear Ev laughing her head off at me and my maccas affliction but sure enough 5 minutes down the road theres the sign McDonalds 10 minutes ahead or whatever it was, oh yeah baby, see I told you Ewa. She just laughs at how I can find them anywhere, really though it isnt hard to pick where those joints are these days, any good size town is going to have one on the entrance or exit to town and not that far out that the locals wont drive there. As we ride through town it was really pretty westernized compared to some of the towns we have been in which was a litle surprising to me I thought it would of got more local as you got further away from Mexico City. Anyway as per usual the traffic was a little slow going through the Centro but not to bad and there she was, gleeming in the sunlight like a beacon of hope those magnificent golden arches leading the way to the promised land, Ok it might be leading to a heart surgery ward but hey what ever. Unfortunately for me it was on the other side of the road in traffic and Im not the most patient dude so I thought stuff that im not doing a U-turn and sitting in traffic for the sake of something to eat so we pressed on. A kilometer or two down the road and there's my saving grace Burger King, oh well that will have to do. Its a bit like going to the dentist you dont relly want to go there but when you have to go you have to go and my tummy was rummbling by now.

Ev had a burger to which is unusual for her shes usually just hooks into the salads so she must of been hungry, we hadnt eaten pretty much since yesterday afternoon so that would explain it. Mmmmm I was happy as larry after lunch, man that was good, I miss not being able to get a burger of real substance and high fat content salt and everything else bad for you, just love it, the size of the burger here was like the good ol days, huge! I was actually struggling it was so big, oh I mean I was struggling on my second one, but was able to force it down, you never know when the next delectable delight will be in this part of the world.

Back on the road after lunch with only and hour or so to San Chrisobal so didnt take us long, the ride today was good we could of stayed on the backroad 190 the whole way but we have been doing a few twities lately so wasnt to fussed on being on expressway for a good part of it, i dont mind the just flying along soemtimes especially when Ive got a full belly and im all content.

Arrived in San Christobal, its a nice enough town, again first reaction was yeah this place is a dump but you get used to that, whatever you do dont judge any town here in Mexico by the outskirts you ride through you will miss some really nice places. We hadnt ridden to far today so I wasnt tired so we just cruised around all the streets for an hour or so then decided it was time to find a hotel. There is alot to choose from here they are everywhere and range in price from 12 bucks US and up so you have lots to choose from. Ev got off a few times and asked but they were a little much so we rode back around the block to where we had seen another one with parking inside the gate and thats where we went. 400 pesos about 34 dollars Australian 31 bucks US so prety reasonable and very nice too, only a block away from the Centro.

We unpacked and relaxed for awhile then we went for a walk around the main part of town, there is quite a few tourists here, alot look like your hippi type of renegades, I was thinking to myself this would be a great place for the organ transplant mafia healthy young hippi types eating their fruits and vegies sucking on some organic fruit juice, bloody hippis.

A nice relaxin day we were thinking of continuing on tomorrow but it looks nice around here we might stay another day.

Some of todays wasn't as hilly but very pretty all the same and the roads were great.

Arriving in San Cristobal as per usual if you judge a book by it's cover or the city by its outskirts you will be sadly disappointed here in Mexico, San Cristobal is very nice and different again.

This is on the other side of San Christobal from where all the tourist's enter thank goodness. We just went for a ride around checking it all out, it's nothing to bad you know standard garbage disposal in the not so affluent parts of the world.

Corner shop here in San Christobal.

Ok time to stop and find a hotel, things are easy for me now all I have to do is sit on the bike and wait for Ev to come back with the yay or nay.

Time for a walk and to find something to eat here in San Christobal Centro

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-10-2013 at 05:55 PM
Old 12-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #1536
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Today we just went for a walk around the local market over the hill from the main Centro no other tourist over here from what we saw. Here's just a few pictures of the relaxing day we spent in San Christobal.

We saw this market yesterday after we arrived and ride through town, it is over the hill from the Centro and take a little while to walk over to it but its definitely worth it, doesn't get to many tourists by the looks of it, well we didn't... see any, I like the fact I feel absolutely comfortable in these places now and walk freely around them, I don't know does everyone feel totally at ease walking in such places, maybe its not such a strange sensation after all.

Mmmm no chicken for me tonight, it's funny plastic kids toys on one side of the table and dead chickens on the other.

Let's see what else is on the menu tonight.

Fish anyone, its great to walk around in these places and generally as a rule the food is really good as its where a lot of the locals eat.

Ewa decided on some fruit for dinner she wasn't a fan of the fish or the chicken.

Man could I have some fun in this shop, Ewa would never sleep well again, BOOOOOM, oh hang I don't like to brag but she gets that already, its a bit like a firecracker I guess, light the fuse it take a second to burn down and bang its over and everyone goes back to sleep shaking a little.

How they carry there babies around here, though the size of the locals around here this kid could be about 17.

Unless you want to have a quick suck on your mums tit while cruising the streets.

I'm lucky I've got Ewa with me, if I was by myself here Id be looking to hook up with the first donkey I saw with all the happy couples everywhere. This really is a dangerous place this Mexico, there's just to much lovin going on, next thing you know Ev will want to be holding friggen hands walking down the road

A few of the local vendors here in the Centro.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-10-2013 at 06:27 PM
Old 12-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #1537
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Here's a chick I might have a shot at when Ewa turns her back for a minute shhhh don't tell her or I'll be in strife.

Ok having a nickname Thomo this sign was always going to get my attention wasn't it.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #1538
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We decided to stay another day to relax so all we did was go for what was supposed to be a short walk.

Local little princess off to the sacrifice I assume ahhhh the good ol days.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:48 PM   #1539
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Don't tell me I don't do things for Ewa, today we walked 5 k' to go to a f^&ken garden oooops excuse me I meant, a wonderful tropical paradise full of beautiful ferns, flowers and orchid's.

This guy was a character and gave us a great description of all the different plants orchids and ferns to see, he was 61 and had met and married a Mexican woman here and had a 3 year old and 1 year old twins, as he was telling us Ev was saying see it's never to late for kids I said yeah I guess having kids at that age is good as you are likely to be dead before they are teenagers.

After walking so far and putting up with jibber about plants for an hour I wasn't in the mood to play around.

This is MY BRIDGE little Mexican dude, that'll teach you to play with the big trolls.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-10-2013 at 07:18 PM
Old 12-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #1540
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Come on it wasn't that far we walked to the gardens Ev, in saying that it really is important that you wear your makeup when we are out in future honey.

We were wondering whether this lady was begging or not but in the end I got a few bucks of the money we had and walked over bent down held her hand opened it up and put the money in it then closed it she just looked at me with a broken smile and I got up and walked away, it was actually quite a nice little moment.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:04 PM   #1541
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Pretty cool graffiti in San Christobal.

Dinner time, I think it was chicken if it wasn't he pussy cat tastes great.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #1542
TheBlurr
Banned

Oddometer: 5,588
I cannot believe I just found this thread, Im in
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #1543
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We actually had another day off in San Christobal and I did absolutely nothing, Ewa went walking around town enjoying the local scenery but that is it for here, tomorrow we are off to Palenque. Apparently the road out there is 220 k's winding all the way and it will be back down towards sea level as up here at 2100 metres I feel the effects, not severely but I do notice it in my breathing huffing and puffing like a billy goat gruff. It may have something to do with one collapsed lung the other partially from my accident who knows but they do say altitude can start to affect people at around 2000 metres, maybe I'm one of them pussies.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-10-2013 at 08:46 PM
Old 12-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #1544
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlurr View Post
I cannot believe I just found this thread, Im in

Cheers Blur welcome aboard mate, hope you enjoy.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #1545
PanamaJ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Hola Sheldon/ Frnd Mike Lewis

Hola Sheldon
Thanks for the tips on your rides, I am in your shadow, leaving San Miguel at the end of the week. I am headed to Panama, where I have a house. If you make it to Bocas Del Toro, let me know, maybe I can get you a room for a night or 2 in my cottage there.
I am hoping to be in Panama by late January. I was in Guiana last October, and also took a boat, no moto Manaus up to the border of Colombia. Truly an amazing experience.
What a great trip to ride down for the world cup. Hope we meet on the road one of these days in the future. Otherwise Ill be in touch via ADV.

Have a great day.
Carpe Diem
Panama J.
PanamaJ is offline   Reply With Quote