Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #1561
TrevorHeath
Seattle to ??

Oddometer: 78
Not to make you home sick but thought you would like to see this.

http://www.bbc.com/travel/slideshow/...-bay-australia

And the first image made me LOL after your recent comentary :)

TH
Old 12-19-2013, 10:40 PM   #1562
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 2,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorHeath View Post
Not to make you home sick but thought you would like to see this.

http://www.bbc.com/travel/slideshow/...-bay-australia

And the first image made me LOL after your recent comentary :)

TH

Home sweet bloody hippies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmin View Post
Hi Sheldon,

So you are heading to Yucatan from Palenque.

I was thinking you were planning to cross to Guatemala.

Actually not so so far (around 5hrs) : ) from Yaxchilan (Frontera Corozal) there are some very interesting places to visit in Chiapas. Chiapas is one of the most beautiful places in Mexico, there is a lot of fresh water all over the state, something not so common in Central and Northern MX.

Dont skip a visit to Lagunas de Montebello... its a group of beautiful lakes, nice place to visit.
El Chiflon - "Velo de Novia" waterfall

Bon Voyage

We left Palenque today and rode up to Campeche so have missed those places this time around Charmin but will keep them marked for when we come back up through Mexico next year, well early 2015 if everything goes to plan. I searched for them on Google and they do look nice.
rideforsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:40 AM   #1563
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

After being down to Yaxchilas we headed back to Palenque, Ev hadn't been feeling well which was different for her, she never complains about anything so to hear her saying she wasn't feeling well more than once was a surprise, along with that it was rainy and wet and the weather for the next few days was much of the same so in the end we stayed for 4 nights.

The strange thing is a few times over the last few weeks I had actually thought maybe I've had enough of this travelling gig which was strange, I've never had any inkling of being over it at all and I was only talking to someone a month or so ago in Baja saying I'm enjoying it as much as the first day I left, maybe it was talking to my little son Logan a few times, maybe it was seeing Centro after Centro or maybe it was just that I needed a break, we have been going pretty hard for awhile now, I guess when you look where we have travelled this year its pretty a pretty full on list. Most of the blogs and people I have met who have travelled for awhile have had a enough after betwen 2 and and up to 3 years, not many go longer for some reason whether it's financial or whatever reason it does seem pretty common for adventures to finish in this time frame, its 3 years at Christmas time Ive been on the road so I was thinking maybe its just my time, in the end it actually worked out good Ev wasn't feeling well and the weather turned bad cause it made us sit still for a few days and relax. The funny thing is I dont really have any real inclination to go home to Australia, maybe it's just time to change countries :) I sort of know what it is, my back and neck have been giving me hell lately and it is wearing me down, I actually said to Ev the other week I might just go get some pain killers just to have a few days off from this annoying pain all the time, I wish it was somethig I could stand it up in front of me, Id punch its friggen lights out. Anyway harden up princess. Maybe the hippi guides made Ewa sick and brought bad weather to make me stop, it makes you wonder, we have had no bad weather since I dont know when, Ewa has never been sick to the point where she needs a rest, geez those magic mushies the chef dished me up when we first arrived in Palenque me are still giving me trouble.

On our third night in the hotel in Palenque 3 bus loads of Polish people turned up so Ev was right at home, I still have no Polish, what the hell would I want to know the Polish language for it's only going to mean I can understand her if she starts giving me a hard time in her own lingo, the way it is now I can just say, yes honey I'll have that massage now, your a sweetheart. A few of the crew broke out the Vodka and being the polite guy I am I knocked back every shot that was put in front of me, Ev had quite a few as well. Everyone spoke Vodkanese so we had a great night together just jibbering on, Ev being the translater for me but I seemed to be doing ok by myself nodding tag tag si si yes yes bla bla standard conversation in any group when your in party mode. All but one of them could speak a few words of English so I heard the same sentecnce over and over and over again, to me that was fine, Im not much different when I'm on the piss and I speak English.

Ev's always going to be smiling when she has 90 backups

Let the fun begin or continue

We were going to leave with them in the morning but when we got up to see them off at 7am the rain was still coming down so we decided to just go back to bed and go the next day rain hail or shine. We basically didnt do anything the whole 4 days but relax, it was just what we both needed, the hotel was nice and comfortable, it had a fridge in the room so we could eat out of the supermarket which saved us a few bucks. By the fourth night Ev was feeling fine as well obviously, we went to the shop to buy something sweet and and bought a small tub of ice cream and she knocked back 3/4 of it before I even got to it, bloody pig, I just reminded her again how amazing it is women can eat 2 Oz of chocolate and put on 4 kilos, that's always going to make her enjoy eating my ice cream isn't it now.

Seeing the crew off in the morning they were all off to sleep on the bus and we were going to do the same.

So we got up this morning feeling refreshed and ready to go, I was up actually before Ev surprise surprise, that never happens, and went across the road to buy a screw driver to replace the one I gave to the guy on the cycle back in Baja, I need to put a new bracket on the back rack that carries our clothes as it had broken. Im not sure even without the bracket if the rack would come off but it does stop it bouncing around, the guys fixed that rack for me back in Dar es Salam back in Tanzania so its lasted quite awhile. Did that then lubed the chain up, I wish I could remember the type of chain I put on this time, it's been on the bike since arriving in Norway and I haven't even had to tension it yet, what ever im doing it's unbelievable, maybe its the lube im using I dont know but it's been on the bike for so many kilometres now it's just great. Ive got a spare chain and sprockets in the my panniers now ive mentioned it the chain will be gone in a month probably.

We left Palenque and rode up north to Campeche today it was only 350 or so k's a nice enough ride. As we were leaving Palenque I was so amazed at how much this part of the world looks like back home on the north coast of New South wales in Australia, I could certainly get comfortable around here, we stopped at one point and I said to Ev it's so much like home around here I reckon the beaches will be just as nice so we turned off the cuerto or expressway to you western folk and headed towards the coast. The roads all the way today were great, there was some roadworks on one bridge, we miss timed it by about 20 minutes, there was a massive line up already when we arrived but rode straight to the front, at least we would have clear road when we got through. You can imagine when i highway is closed for 1 and a half hours just how much traffic we were blowing past in one hit.

So much like home here,

Missing something there buddy, actually I'm pretty sure the problem is at the other end of the car mate.

Road works hey, this could take a while.

I could stand around here all day.

But I have a better idea.

Back on the road again but now its time for a fuel stop, standard Pemex in the country herein Mexico.

The coast is great beautiful, white sandy beaches, palm trees lining the road, all very nice indeed, There wasnt much development which surprised me a bit, some run down houses on big blocks of land, maybe its cause it gets hammered by hurricanes every few years I dont know. As we got further north there started to be a few nice beach house along the way but still nothing that you would make you call it developed. We stopped of for lunch in this nice little restaurant right on the water and ordered some food and while we did it pured with rain for about 20 minutes, that was great, we finished lunch and it stopped, so we walked back out to the bike jumped back on and kept riding in sunshine again, perfect timing without even seeing it coming.

Got to love it when your girl see's a great set of coconuts and tries to grab em for you.

We arrived in Campeche and got a hotel, pretty reasonable 60 bucks a night right on the beach and near the historic centre so unpacked and relaxed for a little while then went for a walk through town for an hour or so. In the wash up a really nice relaxing day, with the hold up for the road work and our stop for lunch the ride took us about 6 hours so nothing to over the top but enough to have me feeling tired as i write this blog. Ev has a few ruins marked out around here Edxna Uxmal and a few others close by they look pretty nice on Google so it will be cool to see them, from there we will be heading over to Chichen Itza and then over to the Carribean coast somewhere.

You can have your Route 66 this is more up my alley.

Arriving in Campeche

Christmas lights all done and running it was like a fairly land, not that I know what a fairly land looks like I just read about it somewhere.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-20-2013 at 02:52 AM
Old 12-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #1564
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We decided against staying in Campeche for another day as the weather was ok for the next few days so we thought we might try and get the ruins of the Yucatan in while it was ok so up in the morning and on the road again to Uxmal. We had thought about going inland on the 261 and going past the Ednxa pyramid but in the end we went past the turn off to it and oh well I wasn't turning around now so it was onward along the 180 and north towards Uxmal.

The ride wasnt to far about 180 k's so on the expressway only took us about 1:45 minutes hooting along. We arrived later in the afternoon and found a hotel right at the entrance of the Uxmal pyramid so it was only a short walk over to the ruins. We unpacked and relaxed for awhile then headed over for a really nice dinner at the other more expensive hotel across the road. I had breast chicken stuffed with ??? with a gouda cheese sause layed on bed of freshly cooked bed of vegetables with a side serving a baked potato's, Oh I dont know you know the deal in the flash restaurants how they put it on the menu bla bla bla it was chicken with vegies and mashed potato but it was really nice I must admit. Ev had a fish soup and we were going to share but sadly for her I hated the soup. We finished dinner and eaded over for the light show at the ruins which turned out to be a big let down but it was till nice to walk around some of the ruins at night with a few lights on.

Here's a picture of the Uxmal pyramid under light.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-23-2013 at 07:04 PM
Old 12-23-2013, 07:32 AM   #1565
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

A fewdays behind in uploading pics the internet has been pretty non existent, well absolutely non existent in one place where we have stayed ill Update later.\

Uxmal pyramids

Old 12-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #1566
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Local Mayan Soccer pitch.

According to scholars this is how they celebrated, ok they celebrated by having their heads cut off or their hearts cut out but its much the same still a celebration.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #1567
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Give me a break Ewa, I'm coming ok hold your bloody horses.

On seconds thoughts stuff it.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #1568
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Some other random photos of Uxmal and the surrounding ruins.

The main entrance to the Uxmal ruins.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #1569
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We got up early and walked back over to the ruins and were the first in which was nice but not really necasary in the end as in the whole few hours we were there we only saw 15 or 20 people. This set of ruins obviously aren't high on the hit list of must see's but still they were very impressive in their own right. We walked around till about 10:30 then headed back to pack and hit the road towards Chichen Itza. We were going to ride the old highway but thought stuff it lets just get there find somewhere to stay and put our feet up for awhile. I was so tired last night to the point I couldnt get to sleep, dont you hate that.

The highway 180 is in good condition so we were belting along making good time and found ourselves in Chichen Itza by mid afternoon. The highways here in Mexico are great and although they are speed limited to between 90 and 110 no one obeys that. If the old stories of people being pulled over for speeding and harrassed for a bribe then if they were on these roads I can almost garuntee you they were in fact speeding.

We arrived at Chichen Itza and not really knowing what to do or where to stay so as usual rode straight up the main gate for a look around, most of the attractions have had some sort of accomadation right at the gate but not Chichen Itza that is back on th town of Piste a few k's back. Ev had found a conote that is a deep hole in the ground where they used to sacrifice people which is apparently a bit of a tourist draw card around here so we decided to head over there and have a look at that.

We got there and asked what time it is opened to and they told us 5 which was still a few hours, the place was full of tourists buses and more people arriving by the truck load so we though nahhh and headed back out to find somewhere to stay. Ev had asked here at the conote as they do have a hotel there how much it was but at the time we though no thats just to much, it worked out about 90 bucks Australian. We went across the road to the next closest hotel and they wanted 60 bucks so in the end I said to Ev look if we go to th more expensive one we will get the conote to ourselves for a little while this afternoon and probably in the morning as well, so that was us we rode back over to the conote and booked in. We unpacked and relaxed and about 5 headed over to the conote which was fast thinning out, we shared it with one other family and when they got out we had it all to ourselves which was really nice. I dont think i'd be interested at all in swimming in it with the masses so for the samll extra charge on the hotel it was just fantastic.

We swam around for awhile but there is just so much swimming around you can do in a 150 foot deep hole in the ground as impressive as it was. We headed back to the room relaxed with a movie.

The morning walking around Uxmal ruins followed by a nice relaxing ride and then a swim in a cononte by ourselves so you could say a nice day.

Stopping of for some petrol just out side of Merida the boys were keen for a photograph so happy to oblige them, I rode off thinking to myself if these were the last guys to meet un Mexico it would be a perfect way to leave as everyone has just been so nice and friendly, but they wont be we still have some time here to go.

I couldn't tell you how many meals I've had in these places in the last few months but it's always edible and the nuked ham and cheese baguette mmmmm yumbo

We found a nice hotel with it's own cenote, a place where they used to perform sacrifices by throwing them in, fortunately for Ewa it was really busy with tourists when we arrived, needless to stay I never stand in front of her in when we are near big holes in the ground.

Paying a few bucks more for a nice hotel you are rewarded with a major tourist attraction all to yourself when they shut it to the public, we had it all to ourselves both in the afternoon after we arrived and in the morning which was really very nice.

Told Ev they throw sewage in here after hours hence why she was keeping an eye out.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-23-2013 at 07:37 PM
Old 12-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #1570
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

The cost of this place was a little expensive so we got up early and went down to the conte for another swim and look around, the gardens here are really pretty as well oh shhh Ive been hanging with a chick 24/7 for the last 9 months. We didnt have to check out till 3pm which I've never heard of before but would be great if you were hanging around doing nothing but we were up and at em this morning off to Chichen Itza, it did give us time to come back and relax after the walk around and the early start to the day.

We arrived at Chichen Itza at 7:30 as it opened at 8 and I thought we may be able to get a coffee or something to eat in the café outside but they were having none of that it was car park opens at 5 to 8 and gates open at 8 so we just hung out killing time chatting to some friendly Mexican locals.

I have to say it is well worth getting up early and beating the rush I you are able to its nice to be the first in these places and have some time to your own.

Here's just a few pictures of the morning at Chichen Itza

Ev's been bashing me from pillar to post lately and this picture brought back fond memories.

This stall was very well preserved in the old Mayan style, they even had Coke and Fanta

Old 12-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #1571
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We were in there even before the boys had set up it and start harassing us, in saying that the people here in Mexico selling their wares are very non threatening and leave you alone pretty much and if you say No gracias they don't bother you again in most cases. Compared to some other countries I've visited they are really polite.

Had to get a picture in front of the entrance sign, Oh I don't like this photo Ewa give me the camera I need to take another one.

That's better.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-23-2013 at 08:06 PM
Old 12-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #1572
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

The boys were keen for a picture with my baby here at Chichen Itza

Old 12-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #1573
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We were heading across the top of the Yucatan towards Tulum and more caves and ruins but saw this sign and thought what the hell its only and extra few hundred k's out of the way, so Cancun it was.

I don't generally take any notice of my speedo but something caught my eye on it this time.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #1574
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Arriving in Cancun we went to McDonalds and found a hotel to lob for the night, they are a little expensive here on the coast but we found a semi decent one for 55 bucks aussie just down the road from a 1000 doillar a night one. We checked in then headed over to the beach for a walk, its a lot like the Red Sea at Hurghada Egyt around here with the coastline dotted with resorts, though a little smaller than the resorts in Egypt the positive is you are able to go for a stroll along the beach front here something you can do there as all the hotels have their own private beaches and they are fenced off.

Here's my other baby enjoying the stroll getting her feet wet in the Caribbean for the first time.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:50 AM   #1575
Blue Icebreaker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Awesome RR man! Uxmal and Chicen Itza are amazing - I already see myself there on my F800GS, with my girl! Speaking of which, how many kilometers can you make with the bike fully loaded and both of you on it, with a full tank of gas? More than 300 km?
As soon as you concern yourself with the 'good' and 'bad' of your fellows, you create an opening in your heart for maliciousness to enter. Testing, competing with, and criticizing others weaken and defeat you. – Morihei Ueshiba

Blue Icebreaker is offline   Reply With Quote