Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2014, 03:19 PM   #1591
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 2,002
We got through the storm and arrived in San Pedro, it really was a pleasant surprise, I was expecting big resorts all along the coast but it really is a local Belizean town with a charm of its own with small local hotels all over the place. We arrived early in the morning so decided to have something to eat and worry about finding somewhere to stay after.

Breakfast is served.

rideforsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:59 AM   #1592
johnno950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
Still reading and enjoying your ride reports as always,top stuff.
johnno950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:39 PM   #1593
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnno950 View Post
Still reading and enjoying your ride reports as always,top stuff.

Cheers Johnno we are having a great time here in Belize its paradise and even though we had good things about Caye Abergris and Caulker we were still surprised with just how nice they are.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:46 PM   #1594
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Down the beach at San Pedro Belize.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-06-2014 at 08:31 PM
Old 01-03-2014, 08:43 PM   #1595
pju
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
How the hell are you going to ever come back to the world ?
I'm still a year in the past on your report but really enjoying your RR and the photos are excellent.
Really pleased life is going well for you after your accident.
I was in Europe several months ago for 2 months so its great to see some places I've been but really enjoyed your adventure in East Europe. Never got a chance to get there, next time.

Keep it coming young man!
pju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:18 PM   #1596
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pju View Post
How the hell are you going to ever come back to the world ?
I'm still a year in the past on your report but really enjoying your RR and the photos are excellent.
Really pleased life is going well for you after your accident.
I was in Europe several months ago for 2 months so its great to see some places I've been but really enjoyed your adventure in East Europe. Never got a chance to get there, next time.

Keep it coming young man!

Hey Pju, that's good question how am I going to ever come back into the real world, well firstly I'm going to buy myself a big flat screen TV with multi view, a nice comfy couch and sit back and watch the countries I've missed on the travel and discovery channels, all the while flicking back and forwards between different football matches ahhh I'm looking forward to getting home already, obviously if Ewa is still with me she will be at work doing 16 hours shifts keeping me in the lifestyle I have become accustom too.

Maybe I'll get to see you back in Europe again in a year or two I missed Ireland, Belarus, Moldova, Ukraine, Romania and Russia so got a few countries to knock off the list in that part of the world but that I'm heading in the wrong direction to put them on list for the time being.

Take care mate and thanks for following.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:24 PM   #1597
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

After a few days in San Pedro we decided it was time to go check out Caye Caulker, we had heard only good things about it so was always going to be interesting to see it. We headed down the ferry which was 5 minutes walk away and got our tickets for the 30 minute boat ride there. At 17 bucks return its cheap as so away we went. We asked the captain if we could sit upstairs he just said if it starts to rain he wasn't stopping for us to come downstairs, one look at the sky and up we went to the bridge. I'm glad we spoke to the captain as after we got up there a few other people tried and weren't allowed too so we had the upstairs section to ourselves which made for a really enjoyable short trip. I guess you could put that down to another friendly local just helping us out enjoying the trip with a little gesture of friendliness. Ewa went up as we were going along to ask a few questions about the reef, I like sitting there watching Ev chatting away she's such a friendly non threatening chick always smiling people really take to her straight away. We enjoyed the ride over the cool breeze blowing in our hair the sun shining brightly, glistening off the beautiful turquoise water of the Carribbean Sea, the sound of sea birds chirping gleefully as they flew along in unison, ok I had my hat on chillaxing like a sloth monster but you know what I mean this is supposed to be a romantic blog now I have the old ball and chain with me.

Here I am Pju contemplating how to come back into the real world, actually people that have been following me for awhile would know exactly what I was looking at and contemplating, real man issues

We arrived in Caye Caulker and immediately we liked what we saw the main street is just a sand road up the middle of a small town it really is idealic. We had nowhere to stay so we looked in the first hotel 170 bucks a night US ummm no thanks buggalugs we will try another. We walked up the main drag its not that long so we weren't walking for long and saw a little guest house above a restaurant so went in asked how much, 20 bucks a night that's much more up our alley. We had a look at it first just to make sure with a shared toilet no hot water but a bed and a fan so that will do us just nicely and at a good price. Actually in the end the bed was bloody comfortable. We went for a walk up to the split in the island where everyone hangs out, its a cut in the middle of Caye Caulker that was cause by one of the hurricanes many a moons ago. You could see happening the top end of the caye near the split is only about 200 meters wide so it wouldn't take much to cut this place in half at any time.

It really has a very relaxed feel to it the street sellers are not even an issue they sit there quietly and half the time have walked off and left their gear there for people to stop and have a look with no fear of theft, so that gives you a good idea on just how safe this place is. It's a bit of a haven for the backpacker fraternity as there was heaps of them at the split sunbaking. There is a nice little bar and restaurant there so we went upstairs and took it all in for a while, it really is beautiful here and obviously a young crew around relaxing in the sun, with so many bikini clad lasses around I was in no hurry to vacate my viewpoint for some disrespectful ungrateful hethan who wouldn't appreciate the scenery as much I did.

Yeeesss some of the scenery is just beautiful here in Caye Caulker. I let Ewa walk through a graveyard this afternoon so fairs fair.

They wanted me to have a go at this as they had heard of my unique abilities from someone but unfortunately they didn't have half a dozen jets skies to power it enough to lift me out of the water, it was a shame I couldn't of shown them my super prowess oh well I'll just have to leave that for the 2 minutes later tonight back at the hotel, I know it will still be impressive.

Eventually it was time for a swim so I took my shirt off in front of the most gorgeous girl and flexed a little, she just smiled and gave me the look, you know the look, ok she might of been catching some spew in her mouth but to me it was the look ok. Ewa was off the other side swimming chatting to some Spanish girl from Madrid I was talking to a young local guy about the fishing and the reef, it's always interesting to get the locals take on the area when it comes to the sea life, like everywhere even at his young age he was telling me they don't catch the big fish like they used to here. He told me that a few years ok his uncle had caught a big hammerhead shark here in the split, I'm backing none of those pretty backpackers would like to hear that news. I swam over and joined Ewa and her new friend and immediately became the center of attention to two lovely girls fawning their attention on me, come on let me dream.

As we were walking around town we had heard a few of the expat locals mention a jam session down at one of the outdoor restaurants tomorrow so we will hit that tomorrow night and see what is going on. It was time to go back to our guesthouse and relax and watch a movie, was a really nice day, this place Caye Caulker is beautiful, I could certainly spend some time relaxing around here.

Relaxing sunset walk around town taking in some of the sights.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-06-2014 at 11:10 PM
Old 01-06-2014, 09:19 PM   #1598
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Got up today and went downstairs for breakfast, the food on the islands is a little on the expensive side 9 US for two eggs and a skimpy little bit of baken and a sausafge with two slices of toast, not what I'd call cheap. While we were eating breakfast we met Mike a sort of local that comes down here from Colorado every winter for a few months and has been coming here for 20 odd years. He reminded us about the jam session this afternoon and told us that sometimes they get some real talent dropping in for a jam, The rest of the day we walked around town and the island its not that big but it really is very nice and relaxed, the locals are really friendly you would never regret coming here to spend some time, the hardest part would be finding a reason to leave.

We headed down to the jam session about 4:30 a little after it had started, it was well and truely in full swing when we arrived. Of course the afternoon started off slowly both me and Ev feeling our way into a new crew, it was very much expats from all over and people that were very regular visitors. We bumped into Steve a guy who we had met on the ferry from San Pedro so he invited us to sit down with him and his wife and Mike from this morning. Steve was quite a character and was jibbering away merrily with us all in laughter at some of his jokes. Ewa was getting into the music and as I'm chatting to Steve Mike has grabbed her and off onto the dance floor, I thought thats cool saves me busting out the moves and then having to fight off the chicks all night.

She was having a great time, Ev loves to dance, they were trying to get me up there but I said to Mike the skinny guy inside me dances im just drinking, go and enjoy. Ewa was into the Jack Daniels and coke and they were STRONG, so she was getting pretty tipsy we were matching each other drink for drink at a 4 to one ration so I was getting slightly hammered as well which made for alot of fun. We met a young couple down here on their honeymoon from Canada so chatted to them, Ewa was back and forth from the dance floor only coming back to drag someone anyone who would go up and dance with her. The muso's were actually pretty good for a rag tag bunch, there was a few different ring ins getting up and having a go. One guy had won the Canadian equivalant to a grammy and was excellent as they all were.

As the afternoon and night wore on we met another crew of people from Canada Wayne and Doug and Marion had been drinking rum and orange juice so asked them if they would like another poofter drink or get on the hard liquor and drink Jack with me. We laughed and laughed and laughed, it was a great night everyone having fun listening to great music jibbering away and Ewa dancing her little toosh off with all and sundry.

After the jam session finished we continued on drinking until the bar ran out of Jack Daniels then it was time to go find some more. We walked up the road to where there was another club but as we got there it was closing so we headed back up into town which was ok it was on the way home, either way it would be ok for us. We eventually got to the Oceanside nightclub and went it, we were all a little inebriated by this time ok we were all pissed as maggots, it was after midnight by now. I was actually quite surprised how many drinks Ewa had, she likes the Jack but she hardly ever drinks but tonight she really did give it a shake. She was straight up onto the dance floor with some good looking local dude, yeah I got really jealous, oh no I didnt I dont give a shit if someone dances with her it save me from having to raise a sweat and I can stand at the bar drinking and jibbering shit to anyone that will listen in this case the pretty local barmaid, it's much easier.

We had a few more drinks there with Wayne, Marion and Josh the local dude who was trying his luck with Ewa, I don't think I will ever be that lucky to get rid of her that easily. Doug had called a night a bit earlier and now it was our time, by now it was 2 am and I was drunk as the proverbial skunk and had enough so walked outside and got talking to Louis a Brazilan from San Paulo, which was nice to get some small contact and info on Brazil for when we get there. Wayne was going back in for one more but I had definately had enough and so had Ewa so we choofed off the 100 metres down the road to home. As we got out the front of our guest house there was another crew of guys, a few tourists and one local. The older local guy hit me up for a ciggie so handed them out to all of them and then thought he can have my Jack as well, he had one sip of it and reeled back whooa thats a drink, I had bought a few rounds and this one was from Wayne so Im not sure but he might of been trying to get me back for something I never did. After a short chat and a friendly goodbye we walked upstairs to crash out, what a great day and night with lots of great company and new friends.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-06-2014 at 09:37 PM
Old 01-06-2014, 09:45 PM   #1599
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Today was pretty quiet but in the afternoon we walked down town and along the beach, we were just thinking of turning around when along came Wayne on a push bike and invited us a little further down the beach to his cousin Linda's resort. We got there and met Linda and Colin and said G'day to Doug again they are a really friendly crew apparently their place is number one on tripadvisor here in Caye Caulker and with so many places to stay having their place Colinda as numero uno is some sort of claim to fame. It really is a nice place though and I'm sure helped by their friendly welcoming nature.

We hung around chatting to Wayne, Doug and the rest of them and then headed off back to our little 20 dollar a night shit hole, actually both me and Ewa like it where we are even if it is totally basic. As we walked along the track we came across the tiny little airport and our thoughts went to Marion who was flying home today after last night and that would of been quite a mission. We went back into town and walked around for awhile then called it quits for the night and had and early night relaxing streaming a movie which ended uo taking a few hours longer than it was as it was lagging like a total mofo.

There is beautiful scenery everywhere you look around here.

I could walk up and down this main street ALLLLLLLLLLL day

On second thoughts why walk when I can sit here eat and take it all in as it walks past me. Yep who says there isn't a heaven.

Denge Fever Doug and Wacky Wayne enjoying a late Christmas present.

The three amigos though maybe commonly mistaken for the three stooges

Barracuda for dinner anyone.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-06-2014 at 10:08 PM
Old 01-06-2014, 10:13 PM   #1600
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We planned to wait till today to go snorkling on the barrier reef as the weather was supposed to be sunny all day so when we woke up and it was overcast and windy we thought that was it another day just hanging around, the weather hasnt been ideal cloudy with some rain over the last few days but nothing to bad mostly the rain has been at night and only showers, they have all said it is very unusal for this time of year to be getting rain. We went down for breakfast and Mike came over and joined us then a few of his friends who organise the jam night sat down and we relaxed for an hour or two talking about anything and everything. As we sat there Wayne rode past, he and Doug were going to give snorkling a miss and have a bbq instead, Ewa and I really wanted to do the snorkling so said we would come over later.

By now the weather had improved and the sun was out and it was quite warm so we all inished up ad me and Ewa walked off to go oranise out tour to the reef. Luckily for us we we went when we did as the boat only had a few spots left on it. We got all our goggles snorkel flippers organised and then headed over to the boat,in the end we had 2 Dutch girls a German guy and his young son a Brazilain and two ther German girls Ewa from Poland, me from Australia and the captain from Belize so a really mixed bag of nationalities.

What do you reckon does it look ok to go snorkeling.

The shark alley reef isnt far out from Caye Caulker and we were the first boat to arrive and immediately we had the sharks and rays all around the boat, as you can imagine there was a bit of hesitancy to go over board into a pack of sharks and rays even if they were small but this time I was beaten by the Brazilian guy to be first in, the girls took a minute or two to see we hadn't been eaten and over they all came as well.

The barrier reef in Belize is the second biggest in the world behind the Great Barrier reef in Australia, Ok lets go to the coral garden part of the barrier reef here in Belize snorkel and have a look around.

Just when I was starting to enjoy myself two of the most dangerous predator's in the sea came lurking along two pretty big white pointers, it took all my guile and wiley cunning to allude certain death, to bad I cant use that cunning on dry land as well.

We did three stops on the tour an all were amazing it really is beautiful around here, these were just a few pictures of the day. Look I don't want any of you guys to worry about me here but I'm doing it a little tough as you can see but I'm doing my best to cope.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-06-2014 at 10:54 PM
Old 01-06-2014, 10:42 PM   #1601
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

So after a really nice afternoon and a slow cruise around Caye Caulker we were back at the dock to try and find somewhere to relax and take in the day ummmm looking looking looking, there has to be somewhere where we can relax around here.

After a fantastic day on the barrier reef we walked on down to join the Bbq with Wayne, Doug, Linda, Colin, Sandy and her husband and Colin's brother and his wife. We talked the night away having a nice food and drink, it was a really nice way to end such a perfect day and in the end saw us sitting on the Colinda jetty looking up at the stars enjoying great company.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-06-2014 at 10:50 PM
Old 01-07-2014, 05:52 AM   #1602
mettalique
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Sitting in the hotel at Kota Kinabalu the wifi is good enough to get my rideforsmiles fix. Some paradise you have found yourselves in....and your talkin about coming home???
It's a pity about the lack of jet skis though I for one would have liked to see that!

Cheers guys

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
mettalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:21 PM   #1603
TheBlurr
Banned

Oddometer: 5,588
Looks like you found heaven

the jet thing looks cool, very cool would love to try it
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:16 PM   #1604
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mettalique View Post
Sitting in the hotel at Kota Kinabalu the wifi is good enough to get my rideforsmiles fix. Some paradise you have found yourselves in....and your talkin about coming home???
It's a pity about the lack of jet skis though I for one would have liked to see that!

Cheers guys

ice up where

That must be pretty nice up where you are in Malaysia to, it is Malaysia right. As for talking about coming home we just got Ewa 6 more months travel insurance so now home is well and truly off the menu, not to mention it's a bloody long ride back to Australia from here in Belize.

Those jet ski things are look absolutely insane, I saw this clip awhile back pretty mad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlurr View Post
Looks like you found heaven

the jet thing looks cool, very cool would love to try it

Hey Blur

It is simply beautiful who would of ever thought such a paradise would exist when all you hear is that the 6th most dangerous city in the world is just across the water. Anyway we are heading to Belize City either tomorrow or the next day to see what all the fuss is about. I got a post on Facebook from a mate who said he had friends that were on vacation in Belize City and had to hide on the floor of their hotel to stay out of a gun battle, how cool would that be I'd definitely being sticking the camera up out the window and posting that, I bet I only get smiling faces and a friendly welcome though booooooo

Thanks for following guys.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:33 PM   #1605
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

I was hoping for Ginger but got stuck with Mary-Ann, oh well at least it wasn't Mrs Howell.

I woke up this morning missing my baby so we took off back to the main land of Belize, first thing was a short boat ride to Sann Pedro.

When we arrived there we had a few hours to kill till the boat to Corozal so chilled out with Tarek in the Latitudes Café on the waterfront here in San Pedro, you can get yourself some good food and good conversation right here.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-07-2014 at 11:41 PM