Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2014, 12:05 PM   #1636
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 1,687
Ok enough dribble this is the view from Temple IV it really is worth the climb, actually its not to hard a climb about 5 minutes up some stairs though a few people were huffing and puffing like billy goat gruffs but if I can do it anyone can do it. When we got up there was one girl huddled over near the top on the stairs not game to walk around the front, I asked her if she was ok cause I could see she wasn't real comfortable, she said she was ok but scared of heights, I asked her if she needed a hand to get down but she was ok so we left her their huddled on the ground, it wasn't that bad she would of been right.

Me and Ewa had just discussed what it must of been like for the locals in the old days, I was saying surely there must of been some of them that were scared shitless of the heights of these things if they had to walk up them, her argument was in those days they wouldn't of even thought about it, just dealt with it but I don't know I don't think human nature has changed that much there would of been people just like this girl back then that were just frozen and she was on steps not walking up near vertical rock stairs on the pyramids, on a positive note in those days if they were made to walk up the top they usually wouldn't of had to walk down cause it was sacrifice time anyway.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-20-2014 at 12:46 PM
rideforsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:15 PM   #1637
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Mwa nine sprechen ze Espanyol Amigo.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:57 AM   #1638
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We finished with the Tikal ruins and headed back to the bike to pack, we had left the gear in the restaurant so there was no rush to get to it. As we finished the heavens opened up and down the rain so I parked the bike under cover and we sat down to relax till it stopped, it didn't look like it was going to be to big a storm as I could see blue sky thought the trees. Sure enough 15 minutes later we are getting on the bike and riding off out of the park. We rode the first 17 k's to the main gate and as we passed we saw another Bmw parked in the restaurant where we had stopped yesterday. I had wanted to say goodbye to young Charlie who we had met yesterday so I thought it would be a good opportunity to meet a fellow rider. I walked over to get a drink from the little local stall why Ewa went off to have a look at the number plates on the bike. I came back over the road and Ev is chatting to Arneu who is a French guy who had flown over to Quebec bought himself a Gs 1150 and was riding down to Panama, maybe further if the budget can be stretched. The cost of crossing the Darian gap certainly does curtail a lot of rides south around this part of the world. We charted for a little while but he was like us yesterday waiting for the 3:30 ticket so that would give him today and tomorrow to walk around the ruins. We said our goodbyes to Arnue and Charlie and we were back on the road ourselves.

We had decided we were just going to ride to the next town and try and find Linda and Ronni the nice Dutch couple we met yesterday so that was sonly another 15 k's. On the way there we came across a young local dude pushing his bike up the road, I could see he had a flat tire so I pulled over and got the compressor out and waited for him to come along. Fortunately for him his tire wouldn't pump up cause he was drunk as a skunk and riding a motorbike at any time can be dangerous but pissed and on wet roads it would be a recipe for disaster. We had a bit of a jibber with him you know how it is with drunk people I think we said goodbye 30 times but that's ok he was really friendly and it was quite funny. Again we hit the road and while we riding along I saw a soccer match going on so thought id stop for a look see. The standard is pretty crap but the field certainly wasn't conjusive to decent football. We watched for about 15 minutes till the half time whistle went then it was off to try and find Linda and Ronni. Unfortunately we didn't have any luck with finding them so we quickly decided we would push on to Flores about 50 k's away. The road was pretty crappy there was a real diversity along this section from old huts and run down houses to classy mega ritzy restaurants it was really strange to tell the truth, I have no idea maybe they are for the tour operators to stop with their guests the locals that live here certainly aren't going to be eating in them.

We arrived in San Elena and checked out a few hotels we had no idea where we were going and weren't sure if we were in Flores or not, the not having a phone Gps or any sort of map's certainly makes things a little trickier, oh well we will fix that problem up eventually. We asked one of the guys is this Flores and he pointed down the road and turn right so off we went in search of the centro.

We arrived at Flores and I was really surprised I had no idea what to expect but I certainly didn't expect a town on and island in the middle of a lake. It really is nice here, as we rode in over the bridge causeway we saw Chris a young Aussie guy we had chatted briefly to at Tikal, he gave us a few tips on good hotels so we went off in search of somewhere to stay. We found the Peten hotel and Ev went in to suss it out, while she was in there a few of the locals came over for a chat which was nice, they could speak a little English so got some sort of conversation happening about the Dakar that had just finished. So we are in Flores Guatemala this lace is really very nice if you are riding through tis part of the world do yourself a favor and make a point if stopping in here, so far the people of Guatemala have been really very nice and welcoming. Oh by the way the some of the chicks are nice too not that I was looking or anything.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:39 PM   #1639
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

A few shots of Flores Guatemala, it really is nice and relaxing around here.

We went off the island of Flores for a ride around San Elena to have a look. The friendly locals were stopping next to us to say welcome every set of lights or corner, always gives you a nice feel for a place when the locals are so friendly and welcoming.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-23-2014 at 07:33 PM
Old 01-22-2014, 05:30 AM   #1640
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

My tummy waits for no one

Now we are talking.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-23-2014 at 07:31 PM
Old 01-22-2014, 09:32 PM   #1641
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Have had a few really nice days in Flores in Guatemala, its a little island community in the middle of a lake off from Santa Elena. It could be a little town in the Greek Islands or somewhere else, we are stil to put our finger on where in Europe. While we have been here we met up with Chris again who we first met riding his push bike in Belize and had come down from Cancun into Central America. We have been having a great time hanging out, he has some great stories and one of setting goals and getting off your ass and going about acheiving them, pretty inspiring stuff really, it just reminds me again that we all have these setback's but it is how you face them, sometimes it takes awhile to face them but face them you must in the end.

We had gone out for dinner last night and on the way back Chris had put his backpack down somewhere and left it and didnt realise till he got home which was to late, it was gone, fortunately he only had his ereader in it and a few odds and ends nothing to important but it always sukcs to forget and lose stuff that way.

We caught up with Chris again today and hung out for awhile walking around town it really is an easy walk here, you could walk around the island in 15 minutes probably and that wouldnt be rushing. We stopped for lunch, Chris wasn't hungry but me and Ev were so we shared a spaghetti cabonara which was just edible but for 40 quzimotos 6 bucks it wasnt to bad a value. While we were eating the owners dog was walking around the table trying to spew, just lovely in the middle of a restuarant and this dog is trying to heave his guts up next to my foot. I put the plate down near him to try and fill it back up but he was just dry reeching so not luck on another bit of free grub but when he came under the table and started again I kicked him in the head and told him to fuck off, I dont give a shit if it was the owners baby if its going to be sick on me under a table while im eating its going to get a good kick in the fucken head. Sorry for all you animal lovers but enough was enough.

While we were there we watched the Manchester United vs Sunderland League cup match which went into extra time and penalty shootout with Sunderland beating a pretty much second string Man U oufit. Chris being a pommy from Yorkshire isnt a Man U fan at all so he was cheering when they missed there penaltys to lose. Chris had a few things to do so he headed off on his way after lunch to get a sim card etc and we headed back to our hotel sat on the bed and relaxed with the beautiful view of the lake. I watched that Jackie Robinson baseball movie 42 which was pretty good, I dont mind baseball movies they are always pretty good for some reason, I dont know what it is Im not really a basball fan and i wouldnt really know who was who in the Major Baseball League but I cant remember ever seeing a baseball movie I didnt enjoy, well any sports movie i guess.

A few hours later Chris came back over and we hung around talking for awhile then it was off to grab some dinner, I wasnt that hungry but as I had shared my cabonara with Ewa at lunch time i thought id just double dip and order it again, the serving size was huge so got it down but could of easily been like my good mate the dog earlier in the day with a another few mouthfuls, I was chocker block full of cabonara. I certainly do know how to over do it on one food, I reckon it will be the last itme I eat spaghetti cabonara for while. Ev ordered some chicken dish, we sort of looked at it funny she didnt eat it all, she just wanted the vegies and the rice and asked if I wanted the chicken but I knocked her back i was full not to mention if it was a chicken it was the weirdest cut of chicken i had ever seen. Dont even go there let me get the food I have in my throat before i go into what it might of been.

We hung around talking with Chris for a few hours its been really nice to get to know him, unfortunately our time together will be all to brief as he is on the push bike and the next few rides from here will be somewhat bigger hauls which we can do in a single day but are two or maybe three days for him. Im sure if he was a motorbike we would be hooking up to ride together for awhile but he is on his adventure we on ours, at one point Ewa mention that we could get on push bikes and ride as well, yeah righto honey as if that is going to happen. We hung out enjoying each others company till around 9:30 then took a really slow stroll back around the island chatting before arriving at our hotel chatting for a bit longer then saying our good nights and going our seperate ways. It was nice to see Ewa opening up so quickly, im actually learning to shut my mouth for 5 minutes as well to let her get a word in which probaby helps. Back blogging and relaxing we will be up and out of here tomorrow we have both enjoyed Flores, I think both and me Ev feel the same way about Flores, we have enjoyed our time here but feel we wouldnt come out of my way to holiday here again but if we were passing through we would most certainly make a point of staying here, if you are around here it is definitely worth dropping in.

Enjoying relaxing in the streets watching the world go by.

You cant turn your back for a second around here

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-22-2014 at 11:38 PM
Old 01-22-2014, 11:45 PM   #1642
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

The last few of Flores Guatemala.

Weapon of choice in Guatemala or then again it may just be a tool to cut down fruit.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-22-2014 at 11:53 PM
Old 01-22-2014, 11:49 PM   #1643
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Watch out you bloody road hog.

Time for my baby to take a wash I would love to take her in the shower with me and give her a good scrubbing but you know how it is Ewa gets jealous.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 01-23-2014 at 07:37 PM
Old 01-23-2014, 01:44 PM   #1644
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Today 23/1/2014 is 3 years 63 countries 5 continent's and well over a 100 000 kilometer's since I first left home back in Australia, it has been an amazing journey filled with great experiences and memories. To everyone that has helped me along the way, whether it be through here on ADVrider through emails and messages, the amazing people I have met along the road or all my friends and family from the very start of setting this goal all those years ago, a huge huge HUGE big thank you. This riding a motorbike around the world is fun.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:27 PM   #1645
Blue Icebreaker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideforsmiles View Post
Today 23/1/2014 is 3 years 63 countries 5 continent's and well over a 100 000 kilometer's since I first left home back in Australia, it has been an amazing journey filled with great experiences and memories. To everyone that has helped me along the way, whether it be through here on ADVrider through emails and messages, the amazing people I have met along the road or all my friends and family from the very start of setting this goal all those years ago, a huge huge HUGE big thank you. This riding a motorbike around the world is fun.
CONGRATS!!! You are a huge inspiration!!! Keep on GS'in around the world!!!
As soon as you concern yourself with the 'good' and 'bad' of your fellows, you create an opening in your heart for maliciousness to enter. Testing, competing with, and criticizing others weaken and defeat you. Morihei Ueshiba

Blue Icebreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:25 PM   #1646
mettalique
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Yeah I concur. Sheldon you are an inspiration. It's a very enjoyable part of our lives seeing where others go and what their journey is.
Btw how is the F800 going, no real dramas with the mileage coming up?
I've recently bought a Dakar that has 90k but they are known for high mileage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
mettalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:43 PM   #1647
pju
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Well done, congrats Sheldon. 3 years on the road is a testament to your endurance or is it that you hate the prospect of working more?
I think its a bloody miracle considering your riding an 800GS

Keep it coming. Not like I have a life or anything.

cheers pete
pju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:00 PM   #1648
johnno950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 755
Great stuff,i have read your posts for awhile now and enjoy the story and photos,never lose your great sence of humour ,it serves you well!
johnno950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:16 PM   #1649
a7an
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Congratulations. That is a long time on the road...and it's been a hell of an adventure. We can gel the lows and the highs.

Like to see you around for a long time...Macca's? Really???
a7an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:58 AM   #1650
EyeCake
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Congratulations on 3 years on the road thru so many countries and it must be about a year with Eva now?
I was at BMW Motorrad days same time as you en route to Russia and the Balkans but that was only 3 months
Keep up the good work and keep us smelling in our Winter Gloom
EyeCake is offline   Reply With Quote