User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2014, 08:26 PM   #1681
mettalique
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Go Butter Bean

I think you might be down to air shortly on that rear tyre mate, no wonder the muddy road was hell.

As usual you have exceeded yourself and Ewa on the camera...you'll have to get her to ask the questions next, makes it authentic and all.

Cheers guys
mettalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:24 PM   #1682
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 2,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by mettalique View Post
Go Butter Bean

I think you might be down to air shortly on that rear tyre mate, no wonder the muddy road was hell.

As usual you have exceeded yourself and Ewa on the camera...you'll have to get her to ask the questions next, makes it authentic and all.

Cheers guys

As long as there is air in them im ok The good news we rode all around San Salvador and I mean all around asking everywhere and ended up finding I think the only two 150 17 and 90 90 21 tires in the country, what a bonus. I had never heard of Shinko tires before but they certainly looked better than mine so bought them 229 bucks front and rear and 20 bucks to fit them not a bad deal I reckon, for 5 bucks extra they fixed my rear brakes that had stopped working again, actually they fixed them to well, we got a few k's down the road and they were locked on but no problems got off the bike walked into some place Ev in her Spanish had three ladies helping her and organized for the guys to come down the road to help us out, 5 minutes later we are adjusted and on the road again no problem. I don't know how they will go but they will go but they are very similar to the hidenau tread pattern which can only be good if we go left from Colombia into Venezuela through Guyana Surinam and French Guyana as it will be the wet season when we are there. I have heard that the dirt can be bike deep in the wet season so maybe I might need to buy some tractor tires yet. They do say if it really bad you can just put your bike on a truck so we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

On another positive note I had my Himalayan hiking boots (flip flops, thongs)on again today while riding around and had a blow out with them so we both got new rubber today, just perfect. The guys did give me a strange look when I pulled into the car park, here I was riding around in San Salvador bare footed in board shorts, Ewa carrying two tires on the back of the bike it must of looked a site, well maybe not a sight they were probably thinking look at this dickhead, but hey when the shoe fits

Today it was the Pizza Hut guys turn to get us to our destination, the people of San Salvador are really very friendly and will go out of their way to help you in anyway they can.

New rubber all around today.

We left the bike shop and the boys did such a good job on the brakes they locked on after a few k's so it was on the phone to them and a few minutes later they are down adjusting them and we are on the road again. I could of done it myself, I mean Ewa could of done them herself while I had a cigarette but as I had the panniers off the bike had no tools with us.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 02-03-2014 at 11:02 PM
rideforsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:01 AM   #1683
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 3,012
That new shinko will be good on hard dirt and stone roads but they wear kind of fast. I was getting 3-5 thousand miles on the rear. Front should last for 2 rear tires. Is the rear a radial? They first made them as bias ply which some had problems with tread splitting, but shinko switched them to radials several years ago and problem solved.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2014, 12:19 AM   #1684
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
That new shinko will be good on hard dirt and stone roads but they wear kind of fast. I was getting 3-5 thousand miles on the rear. Front should last for 2 rear tires. Is the rear a radial? They first made them as bias ply which some had problems with tread splitting, but shinko switched them to radials several years ago and problem solved.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

That's ok at the price I paid hopefully it will see me through for awhile, I cant see myself doing to much off road in the near future but you never know what lies around the next corner not to mention I had no other options, I have basically been to every motorcycle shop in San Salvador and they were all I could find. thanks for the info mate.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:17 PM   #1685
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Probably couldn't get two people more apart on the world map as me and Alsaskan Bob, he arrived a few hours after me and Ewa and had stopped to ask for directions to the guesthouse and was told if he still has trouble to come back and stay the night with his new found friend and his family, this is the type of friendliness and openness you will find in El Salvador the people are really very special, I have met a lot of friendly people from all over the road but the El Salvadorians are right up there with the most friendly.

Secure parking here at JoAn's guesthouse

The next morning Bob was off towards Honduras and Nicaragua to do some surfing, he was telling me about surfing in Alaska, man you guys at home think your tough going surfing in the cold winter conditions, try a 6 -7 mill steamer and dry suits to follow your passion, now that is a love of a sport if I have ever seen it.

Me and Ev just chilling out at JoAns guesthouse here in San Salvador.

Dinner out with the crew of new found friends

I wasn't really hungry but me and Nuno from Portugal thought we would give these burger a whirl.

Eenie meenie miney its so hard to choose which one I like the most they are all so beautiful

Mmmmmmm looks like it Mo for me come to daddy baby, and everybody lived happily ever after.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 02-06-2014 at 10:58 PM
Old 02-05-2014, 11:21 PM   #1686
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

I know all you guys out there are constantly worried about Ewa being with me but trust me Ill untie her as soon as Danielle leaves :)

Old 02-06-2014, 03:54 PM   #1687
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Why we were here I lashed out and bought a Sony helmet cam and a new helmet for me and Ewa, her visor had been broken for a few months now and as it was an older style Shoei we were having real trouble sourcing a visor for it in this part of the world. Anyway two Bell helmets later and Sony cam and not to mention Ewa seems to think we have had some money borrowed from our from our room, I have no idea she does all the money and being an accountant she's pretty on the ball so if she says we are missing money I just have to say be a bit more careful looks like Im going to have to let Ewa pick the hotels for a week or two, heaven help me.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:12 PM   #1688
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

I can mount the camera on my helmet but still feel like a bit of a nob head with it sticking up like it does, I guess that will change over time so Ewa just held it today as we rode around town.

Here's just a short video of the main Centro of San Salvador it really is a bit of a madhouse nothing like the outer suburbs where there is lots of western style shopping malls and fast food restaurants everywhere.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:40 PM   #1689
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

The beautiful Jessica from El Salvador Bmw was really helpful as has everyone we have had the good fortune to meet, The El Salvadorian people are really nice if you are ever riding through this country make sure you take the time to meet a few of them you wont be disappointed.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:34 PM   #1690
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

The new storm trooper helmets or should that be the Stig helmets

People always ask me how am I going to go settling back into the real world, well hears a sneak preview.

This has to be the easiest question ever asked, Which dish is Ewa's and which is Sheldon's? :)

Old 02-06-2014, 10:38 PM   #1691
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Dam it if only I hadn't eaten that burger I might of squeezed through here.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:56 PM   #1692
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

A short video on the other side of town.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:11 PM   #1693
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Been in San Salvador for a few days now, we have both really enjoyed it here the people are just so nice and friendly everywhere you go it really makes it enjoyable to get out on the bike and ride around the city and go do stuff to meet people. It has really made me want to go and learn Spanish so i can talk to them all, yeah ok I thought about it isnt that enough. It is such a shame everyone blows through this place under the guise of it isnt secure because from my experience of the people here it is a totally undeserved reputation, ok if you get shot and robbed dont blame me, serioulsy though Ewa just got back from walking 20 minutes up to the post office by herself so if she feels secure enough to do that it will give you some idea on just how it is, of course you have to be mindful of some areas in the city as in most and of course I went for a ride through them to see them for myself and meh not to bad didnt see to many guns and only in the hands of guards cops and military.

Said my goodbyes to Nuno last night we had only had a day or so chatting getting to know each other he was a classic dude on the go go go go and in a few weeks will be home after a totally whirlwind tour of Central America, he has been to 120 countries around the world so full of stories of places I'd like to go in the future. We have met some great people in our short stay Central America here in JoAns gust house, Danielle the American girl who has been travelling around Central America by herself and went on one of Nunos whirlwind tours into the hills arriving home last night at 8 oclock to go to bed while I sat up with Nuno till midnight chatting till he he left at 2 am to go and jump on another bus to Nicaragua. I dont know he does it but he is seeing some amazing places and to have his energy would be a bonus, he used to be a stock broker so I can imagine its byuy buy buy sell sell sell and travel travel travel all with one big breath :)

There is a constant stream of people through here it really is a gathering of nations in a really nice enviroment even if Ewa does think we lost a little bit of money along the way somehow while we have been staying here. I serioulsy have no idea I have become so slack I just go to the keycard machine woop out the money and hand it over to Ewa and when we need more I go to the machine again, I really should take a little more care but as long as the machine keeps spitting out the money then im sweet in my books, actually im not sure if I blogged this but the other day when we arrived in El Salvador and the machine didnt spit any money out we tried again and again in another machine then went and found a restaurant with internet only to realise there was no money in my account ooops I juedged that wrong I thought one of my other accounts was supposed to transfer a little bit of money over but hadnt, so here i am in El Salvador no money no accomodation and only a few bucks to my name so I did what anyone would do and ordered a hamburger and coke, ahhhh thats better now it will be ok and sure enough a quick muck around on the internet and im back in business, I really dont like letting myself get so low on funds I like to have emergency money for if anything ever happens i can go to the nearest airport and say take me home but for some reason lately I havent been taking the time to make sure of that and emptying my accounts right down and then worrying about it. I do play around with some shares and it takes 3 days if I sell them to get the money and we have been down to the wire a few times, I really should take more care just in case.

We head of towards Honduras in the morning I think I will taking Danielle down to get her visa extension she tried today but got on the wrong bus and ended up on the wrong end of town and came home empty handed so we will do that befor me and Ewa hit the road. El Salvador isnt that big a country im not 100% sure how long it will take us to get to the border a few hours Im thinking if we dont get lost, I probably should of bought a phone as well but with 2 new helmets and a helmet cam thats enough for the toys for awhile.

Everyone chilling around the Centro here in San Salvador.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:14 AM   #1694
mettalique
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Just lookin at your photos. Are those Bells flip ups? Which model? They look cool....stig like so you need a dark visor

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
mettalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:24 AM   #1695
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mettalique View Post
Just lookin at your photos. Are those Bells flip ups? Which model? They look cool....stig like so you need a dark visor

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yeah they are flip tops, I like them to be able to talk to people, drink and smoke without having to go through the process all the time of taking your helmet off, they have Revolver Evo DOT is written on the back of them 200 bucks so not to bad really.