Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2014, 11:44 AM   #1711
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 1,966
She is new to this blogging thing Charmin so give her time to work it out, if you look at my early blogging it isn't the best, not enough pictures to much jibbering.

Im not having any input in Ewa's blog and only once she asked me about grammar, I'm looking forward to reading it one day and see what her take off the adventure has been, of course she will see and notice different things to me all the nice stuff I bet.
rideforsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:59 AM   #1712
Cariboostrom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Thanks for the reply Sheldon about the strap. I just balance my glasses and gloves on the seat when I get off the bike and they have blown away, fallen off etc. Maybe I should copy your idea? If you don't mind me asking, what line of work/career were you in before your accident? Perhaps you don't remember that far back
Danielle
Cariboostrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:45 PM   #1713
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We had a few days off after arriving in Honduras, we wanted to have some idea of Honduras as you can pass through here in about 2 hours if you want so a few days wont kill us, unfortunately we were both feeling pretty sick over the last few days and I mean sick, I think I might of given it to Ev as I had something wrong with my stomach since Antigua back in Guatemala. I started taking the anti malaria pills tonight, look it probably isn't that but I have these things and they are out of date so I'll need new ones so why not woop them into me and see what happens, something isn't right with me and hasn't been for a little while now.

Here's a short video of the Nacaome here in Honduras on a quiet Sunday afternoon.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:26 PM   #1714
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We left Nacaome with all good intentions of staying in a small town beofre the border but when we got there we just cruised straight on by and hit the border. It was just after 1 obvioulsy lunch time and a bad time to be doing a border crossing in this part of the world but it all went really smoothly and only had to wait a few minutes and in the end the Aduana guys opened their window to serve us during their lunch break, There is no need to blog anything about this border as it is really no hassle we only had one fixer guy come up to us and one No Gracias was enough for him to leave us alone it really was no problem. I guess when the guys in the Aduana office saw me lie down on the ground outside their window they thought we might as well opened it up and serve this bloke. There were no line ups at all, it really was a realxed border crossing and even with our relaxing waiting for a few minutes probably only took us 30 minutes, what evers happened to these horror Central American border crossings, I havent seen one yet.

Yep got Choluteca written in my tank bank, tick.

I don't know if I want to see what is going on in that shop.

Choluteca and then it was on to San Marcos De Colon.

It really is very dry around here at the moment.

I think this chicken in this video was a fixer there was only one other around at the Honduran border.

The Honduran Aduana building easy stuff here.

Off to the Nicarague side and if the Honduras side was relaxed this side was even more so. Stop for the fumigation of the bike 3 bucks later we are down to the immigration office.

Welcome to Nicaragua.

A few ladies hanging around selling cakes was the only time we got asked for anything. Ewa went to the immigration window the boys were looking through my passport laughing with her about all the stamps in it, she really has a way with people they were just really friendly. The insurance guy came over and organised our insurance that you have to have, 12 bucks later filled in signed and thats taken care of. Ewa pays the few bucks each entry tax for us, id have to check it Ev is saying 44 Nicaraguan dollars which is only a few bucks. We had a chat to a few of the truckies hanging around one of them had an Australian shirt on so as soon as I mentioned I was from Australia we were mates. Leon and his friend could speak pretty good English so it was nice to have a chat to them.

Ewa sorting out the immigration and the insurance in one hit, hey theres no use both of us doing it, I might as well sit on the bike an relax.

Ev went into and sorted out the Aduana that took 5 minutes then walked a to get the copies we need in the same room 5 metres away back to the window to finalize it all and we were set to go. Just as we were leaving the guys came out of the immigration office with a tourist map for us pointing to where we are so that was nice. Shaking hands all around to everyone and we were on the bike and away into Nicaragua.

I might as well put this in it will help me remember it, we were riding down the road and here's this old dude lying down on the road, not off it I mean 2 or 3 feet onto it, though in the shade, easily far enough to be death material, I watched as everyone went around him and thought that must be pretty standard here but got a few k's down the road and thought stuff it I'll buy him some water and go back and see if he is ok, at best he will have a cold drink or at worst I will if he is squashed by the time we get there. We stopped off at this little shop bought the water and headed the few k's back up the road. We gave him the water he was jibbering something and another guy on a bike stopped to see what we were doing and saw that we were just giving him some nice cold water and smiled and shouted something and left and so did we. Definitely not something you see every day and if he is going to lie in that position you wont see him doing it again to often, but each to their own destiny I guess, poor old bugger.

Pretty standard scene down here in Central America people collecting firewood.

The road into Nicaragua, road conditions were pretty good some nice twisty sections as well as some nice straight sections that made any overtaking easy, just fly on by deal.

Next time you hear someone complain about a demountable classroom or even the standard of their classrooms in our civilized world spare a thought for these kidlets.

Yeah the roof needs patching I think.

We rode to Somola and were just going to stay there, it was a small town and off the highway so we thought we would just cruise along another 60 or 70 k's to Estelli I think it is, the next main town anyway. I was feeling it by this time and needed to stop so when we saw a nice hotel we just pulled over to get a price, Ok Ewa comes back out saying no to much and there is others up near the Centro so off we go looking for the centro. Now, I must of ridden for 20 minutes in the back streets of this town with no luck in finding the Centro, that's one thing that these countries could improve their street signs there is none. Anyway enoughs enough Im going back to the first hotel, I dont care by this stage. The girl had told Ev there was a function on and there was only one of the more expensive rooms left but by this stage Im not fussing over a few bucks just give me a key. Turns out the function is Miss Teen Universe, you know just my luck hey Get my key and get in the lift with Miss Bolivia thought about pushing Ewa out but their was a camera inside the lift so might of got myself in trouble. Oh this room is really nice sweetheart we might have to stay a few days Now I wonder where the Doc parked the Delorean

Miss Panama

Miss Peru

Miss Mexico

Miss Colombia obviously

Miss Peurto Rico

Miss Italy.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 02-12-2014 at 01:38 AM
Old 02-11-2014, 11:37 PM   #1715
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Ev has had over 6000 hits on her blog in the first 30 hours, at that rate she is going to pass my meager total in months, I might have to start making her blog on the phone. I am really proud of her though she is doing a fantastic job so far and the following she is getting is testament to that, naming lakes, reasons for names and stuff like that it really is good im so glad I harassed her into doing it, for me though I'm just going to keep posting pictures of her slothing out with her legs spread on the bed, you know the important stuff in life and of course tide myself over with Miss Teen Universe pageants here in Nicaragua. By the way Ewa told me about some of the responses to my riding in that video, it is the way people ride and drive down here there is a lot more courtesy shown on the roads in these countries than in a lot of supposedly more civilized places, the only one thing I probably shouldn't of done was undertake that truck but hey I was singing left side suicide as I did it so all good, not to mention the camera made a lot of it look a lot worse than it actually was, a lot of people that have followed me for awhile know how I would probably respond to that criticism but im trying to be a nice guy these days so it's better I stay away from Ewa's blog, anyway speaking of being a nice guy I hope you all don't get in trouble for watching this video of Miss Teen Universe at work guys

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 02-12-2014 at 02:23 AM
Old 02-12-2014, 03:02 AM   #1716
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 4,006
First... Miss Puerto Rico... hour glass.

It has taken me two weeks to read this RR in total as I have several others I'm following.
I really enjoy reading the two-up rides into C.A. & S.A. and you guys, two-up for a year.
You gotta be close and it shows in the pics/vids. *eating my heart out*

Ewa? Hell be damned man! I even like the sound of her voice.

As an old diesel mechanic I ask: Have you given a thought to changing out the wheel bearings when the suspension is serviced?

Sheldon,
Good on ya mate and thanks for the real time updates.
OldPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:39 AM   #1717
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cariboostrom View Post
Thanks for the reply Sheldon about the strap. I just balance my glasses and gloves on the seat when I get off the bike and they have blown away, fallen off etc. Maybe I should copy your idea? If you don't mind me asking, what line of work/career were you in before your accident? Perhaps you don't remember that far back
Danielle

Hey Danielle I was in the Television antenna game, people don't live without Tv's these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
First... Miss Puerto Rico... hour glass.

It has taken me two weeks to read this RR in total as I have several others I'm following.
I really enjoy reading the two-up rides into C.A. & S.A. and you guys, two-up for a year.
You gotta be close and it shows in the pics/vids. *eating my heart out*

Ewa? Hell be damned man! I even like the sound of her voice.

I love listening to the videos as well Pete as I sort of don't hear her sweet accent when Im just talking to her anymore so I love listening to them.

As an old diesel mechanic I ask: Have you given a thought to changing out the wheel bearings when the suspension is serviced?

I know there was some issue with the wheel bearings on the F800 and people were up in a huff how dangerous it might be but I come from the school if it ain't broke don't fix it, maybe Ill have them checked next time it goes to a BMW dealer to make sure now you have mentioned it, it might of been a warning in disguise, I've been servicing the bike myself since the warranty ran out so there is things like that it might pay to have the pros look at, it's funny where the guardian angels bring the tips from these days you got to listen when someone says something, oh of course unless it is slow down on that bike.

Sheldon,
Good on ya mate and thanks for the real time updates.
Cheers mate as you can imagine it takes a lot of time the good news is Im older than Ev so need less sleep so they say :) Thanks for following.

Ev comes across as all sweet innocent let me tell you she isn't. This vid I posted before but just in case you missed it.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:24 PM   #1718
OldPete
Be aware

Aussie humor.

Note: She did notice monies missing at that one hotel right after the new Bell helmets.
And you did offer that she is/was an accountant.

The only reason I mention bearings is I did not notice a change out in this thread and you guys are running at max GVW on rough roads.
Replacing with what you find on the road may mean Chinese bearings manufactured on old production equipment.

Hope your tummy is feeling better Sheldon. I had this flu for a month and it's just now passed.

My best to you both.

EDIT: speed? Go with the flow. When in Rome do as the Romans do. Many of those driving cars, busses or trucks started out on 125cc bikes.

OldPete screwed with this post 02-12-2014 at 03:29 PM Reason: noted
Old 02-12-2014, 08:51 PM   #1719
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
Aussie humor.

Note: She did notice monies missing at that one hotel right after the new Bell helmets.
And you did offer that she is/was an accountant.

The only reason I mention bearings is I did not notice a change out in this thread and you guys are running at max GVW on rough roads.
Replacing with what you find on the road may mean Chinese bearings manufactured on old production equipment.

Hope your tummy is feeling better Sheldon. I had this flu for a month and it's just now passed.

My best to you both.

EDIT: speed? Go with the flow. When in Rome do as the Romans do. Many of those driving cars, busses or trucks started out on 125cc bikes.

Thanks for the advice Pete I will definitely get it looked into next time I come across a Bmw dealer, either in Costa Rica if I have time or in Colombia and ask them to check on them, the bike is seriously carrying at its load capacity as you can tell by some of the pictures, definitely to much for the standard shock but its got me this far without any dramas but its getting to that stage it might be wise to upgrade a few of those things , most people would die if they knew I went on an adventure like this without upgrading it at all, it was always get this at this rear shock get new springs in the front, the actually front I like diving down it allows me to pull the bike out of certain spots that if it had none or not much give in the front springs Id be stuck.

The Bmw dealer I found in El Salvador was going to take 20 days to get a brake sensor for me as the rear brake light has been stuck on for months which isn't ideal either, its just a little harder than usual around this part of the world to source parts as you probably know.

I've been feeling crook in the stomach for a few weeks now it was the next day after we ate in one of the street stalls in Coban not saying that was sit but I wouldn't be surprised if I picked up something there you just never know.

When it comes to money I have no idea it has always burnt a hole in my pocket but Ev is teaching me slowly on how to be a tight ass I mean the Polish way

Thanks again mate
Old 02-12-2014, 09:35 PM   #1720
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Went for a nice walk around Esteli today, we were going to ride but it isn't that big a town and we were only planning on going for a few hours as I still wasn't feeling the best, what ever has got me at the moment has got me but meh I'll get over it we bought a few different pills today, don't ask me what they even are I just said nausea nausea si si si and they handed over some pills so Ill just give them a whirl, gawd knows what im putting in my guts I actually started taking my Coartem too, the anti malaria pill that drug has little or no side effects you can take it as often as you like and since its out of date and the pills are starting to fall out of the packaging I might as well use them, the doc did say even if I feel like I have the flu to just take them.

Maybe im just getting old and weary oh well what better place to relax than sitting on a comfortable chair on a motorbike and ride. The walk around town was really nice I don't think they get to many tourists here, as Im not exactly sure what you would come here for even if you were touring it is just a small country town, the people are all very friendly I couldn't count how many I said hello to during our walk. We checked out new phones while we were out the Galaxy S4 is only 585 US, now that is a hell of a lot cheaper than Mexico Guatemala etc but im not sure if you are getting a ridgey didge one or a Chinese copy how do you tell these days. Google it as I say to everyone.

We headed back towards the hotel Ewa had a blow out on her flip flops so we stopped at a few shops to look for some new ones. With no luck she soldiered on fixing it every 20 steps. We got to the hotel and there is a Burger King restaurant there so Ewa went in a bought a nice salad and I had a drink, It says im not well when I didn't even feel like eating a burger, I know I better call an ambulance

We just chilled out this afternoon Ewa's blog is coming along she is catching up quickly to the present day it has taken her awhile she is doing an amazing job.

While we walking along this guy look as happy as a pig in mud I wanted to join him but not trusting the ice cones here gave it a miss but boy was I tempted.

If Ewa is ordering food from Burger King and I'm not there is something wrong with alignments of the planets.

Some great murals on the walls around town and being a Tiger fan in the Australian National Rugby league competition I had to get a shot of this one.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:47 PM   #1721
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

There is definitely some pretty women running around down here man Im going to have to find Ev a cemetery soon.

If your going to have a door you might as well make it a cool one.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:28 AM   #1722
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Ok with my ride report hitting 200 000 hits on AdvRider I thought id celebrate by going out and getting Ev some new safety riding gear, I thought it was the least I could do since there were so many people complaining about my riding style on her ride report saying she was in danger. Im sure I'll have some complaints about this gear as well, there is just no pleasing some people. I think its only fair I do a thorough review of this gear and report my findings to the relevant authorities.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 02-13-2014 at 07:07 AM
Old 02-13-2014, 06:34 AM   #1723
Charmin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Well done Sheldon!!!

Charmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:33 AM   #1724
OldPete
Be aware

Sheldon,
So glad you're feeling better.

Hang in there Ewa, humor him.

Being Polish/East Prussian myself... anytime I dance it's Pole dancing.

Looking forward to more helmet cam video.
I read that the helmet is the most stable platform for the camera... much less vibration.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #1725
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideforsmiles View Post
Ok with my ride report hitting 200 000 hits on AdvRider I thought id celebrate by going out and getting Ev some new safety riding gear, I thought it was the least I could do since there were so many people complaining about my riding style on her ride report saying she was in danger. Im sure I'll have some complaints about this gear as well, there is just no pleasing some people. I think its only fair I do a thorough review of this gear and report my findings to the relevant authorities.

Sheldon is trying to run his view count up. Its working

This picture could also be posted over here.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484912