Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2014, 07:35 PM   #1741
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 1,906
After spending 2 nights in Granada we decided it was time to hit the road time is getting short to get to San Blas to get the boat to Colombia only a few weeks to go. it was only about 100k ride today, if that so a very easy, we had all good intentions of stopping at San Jorge and maybe going over to the island where there is a volcano on it but after lunch and being told the really beautiful part was on the other coast the decision was made to travel a little further to San Juan Sur.

A quick ride along the beach at San Jorge.

One of the stalls along the way, the road was in great condition but pretty boring straight riding and the scenery was flat farmland with a strong cross wind which made riding a little less enjoyable, it reminded me that I haven't ridden in real windy conditions for awhile, the conditions as a rule have been very good for motorcycling here in Central America.

Im guessing this is St Jorge but man it looked like a chick.

See what I mean.

The view over to the volcano on the island in Lake Nicaragua, read Ewa's blog she will have the name of it, its looking over from the shores of San Jorge anyway.

Contemplating the meaning of life, oh ok I was deciding on either a burger or a steak, but that's a big decision for me.

We decided to hit the road after lunch and came across these guys playing their baseball competition in the middle of a ploughed cane field, I just had to stop and watch for awhile, Im not a massive baseball fan bit I am a sports fan and to see any game being played on a pitch in this condition you know they love the game so that is good enough for me.

The first ball is in the zone.

He swings its a high fly ball to centre field and he is outa here the Houston Astro's win the world series.

So we head off down the road then all of a sudden we have a disagreement, Ewa wants to go one way and I want to go another.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 02-16-2014 at 08:29 PM
rideforsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:41 PM   #1742
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Went for ride out to Playa Hermosa for the night its pretty relaxing out there laying around in the sun taking in the scenery. On the way back we unfortunately got a flat tyre but as per my luck it stayed up till we got back to town and the hotel in San Juan Del Sur, I'll worry about that another day, don't want to over do now do I.

We rode out to of San Juan Play which is the port town to find a nice beach and surf camp and came across Playa Hermosa, the surf here isn't that flash at the moment im sure there would be waves here at times but nothing that I would call a world class break, the beach had rock outcrops further out the back which would most definitely reduce the wave strength at this beach. We spent the night at the surf camp which was nice enough but nothing to flash. We had a fun night the rooms were all open at the top so you could hear everything from the other rooms. There was a family staying in one of them and the kids started crying and about 30 seconds later there's a yell from the room next to theirs from a girl, screaming "shut those friggen kids up" bloody hilarious Id hate to think how that girl is going to go being a parent, I knew the parents of the kids wouldn't say anything and thought about shouting up go fuck yourself on their behalf but in the end just shut my mouth and rolled over and had a laugh with Ewa about it.

While we were lying there I felt the building rock a little I said to Ewa that was an earthquake and she said no that was the couple next door, but I have felt a few earthquakes in my time and this definitely was one so I went online and checked it out and sure enough there was a earthquake not far over the border in Costa Rica and it had been blogged that it was felt in Nicaragua. I told Ev stories about the horrific tsunamis in Japan and Asia and told her that if you ever see the water receding from the shore line run for the hills but the bad news for us tonight is we will be asleep when it happens so we might be an trouble, needless to say she has dreaming about earthquakes and tsunamis all night the poor darling

Here's Ev enjoying a relax on the beach front after we arrived.

Time to ride.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 02-18-2014 at 08:29 PM
Old 02-18-2014, 07:00 PM   #1743
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,503
[

Hit the spot enough for me to take Ewa's new safety gear for a whirl. The pliability of these bike trousers is fantastic, they stretch into place nicely giving them a real snug feel.

Time for a workout to see how they will go on the motorbike, well after a grueling 4 hour session on the treadmill at the local gymnasium they did tend to slide down a little but I think a good set of $10 braces would solve that issue.

I think I might of taken one to many of those Spasmo pills.[/QUOTE]

That e-cycle will never get you to a McD's, especially if you trip on your drawers
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:34 PM   #1744
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

That e-cycle will never get you to a McD's, especially if you trip on your drawers[/QUOTE]

I just want to go on record to say that I was only TESTING out Ewa's new safety gear for you guys out there
Old 02-18-2014, 08:22 PM   #1745
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We headed back into San Juan Del Sur and after a little bit of looking found ourselves a nice hotel, we had picked up a flat tire as I think I posted before but wasn't to fussed about it as it is sitting in a car park all secure and not far from where I can get in repaired. Here's just a few photos of San Juan Del Sur it really has a laid back feel to it. I'm glad we found this place we could of quite easily gone straight on by as it is 20 kilometres from the Pan American highway and another 30 odd to the border, if you are coming through here it is most definitely worth stopping in, quite a few families, young and old people and surprisingly high number of chicks, not that I was looking or anything, there is loads of good restaurants I had lobster the other night and it was cheap in reality about 12 bucks. I saw a Spanish school in town so if you were looking to come and study this would be another great lace to do it, and it is very very safe so I would highly recommend a stay here on your way through.

Here's a few pics of around town.

Colourful buildings everywhere yes colourful buildings

Down to the waterfront here in San Juan Del Sur

Ewa taking the chance to send some postcards home

We have been here for two nights now and my tyre is still on the bike sitting there waiting to be fixed, meh tomorrow, we do have to keep moving though but we are both enjoying San Juan Del Sur.

Trouble a brewin here in Nicaragua.

We met Walt from Montana and sepnt the night jabbering rubbish and partaking in many alcoholic beverages, what a great night we had. There is some video but I have been barred from posting it, geez im really going to have to grow a set.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 02-18-2014 at 08:58 PM
Old 02-19-2014, 11:57 AM   #1746
TheBlurr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideforsmiles View Post
After spending 2 nights in Granada we decided it was time to hit the road time is getting short to get to San Blas to get the boat to Colombia only a few weeks to go. it was only about 100k ride today, if that so a very easy, we had all good intentions of stopping at San Jorge and maybe going over to the island where there is a volcano on it but after lunch and being told the really beautiful part was on the other coast the decision was made to travel a little further to San Juan Sur.

A quick ride along the beach at San Jorge.

One of the stalls along the way, the road was in great condition but pretty boring straight riding and the scenery was flat farmland with a strong cross wind which made riding a little less enjoyable, it reminded me that I haven't ridden in real windy conditions for awhile, the conditions as a rule have been very good for motorcycling here in Central America.

Im guessing this is St Jorge but man it looked like a chick.

See what I mean.

The view over to the volcano on the island in Lake Nicaragua, read Ewa's blog she will have the name of it, its looking over from the shores of San Jorge anyway.

Contemplating the meaning of life, oh ok I was deciding on either a burger or a steak, but that's a big decision for me.

We decided to hit the road after lunch and came across these guys playing their baseball competition in the middle of a ploughed cane field, I just had to stop and watch for awhile, Im not a massive baseball fan bit I am a sports fan and to see any game being played on a pitch in this condition you know they love the game so that is good enough for me.

The first ball is in the zone.

He swings its a high fly ball to centre field and he is outa here the Houston Astro's win the world series.

So we head off down the road then all of a sudden we have a disagreement, Ewa wants to go one way and I want to go another.

Was the statue Joan of Ark?

And those signs are funny as hell
TheBlurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:13 PM   #1747
DKW1200
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Black lace

Greetings from San Diego. Still enjoying both of your blogs. Looking forward to following your tracks through CA next year. But I've seen enough underwear on your blog. Yours not Ewa's of course. LOL
DKW1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:22 PM   #1748
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKW1200 View Post
Greetings from San Diego. Still enjoying both of your blogs. Looking forward to following your tracks through CA next year. But I've seen enough underwear on your blog. Yours not Ewa's of course. LOL

Come on mate tell the truth you liked my review of Ev's new safety gear, my blog numbers went up straight after I posted it so you weren't alone, I might have to review the top at some point
Old 02-20-2014, 09:17 PM   #1749
TonsOfFun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Just caught up after reading your entire blog, great ride report mate, keep 'er coming...
TonsOfFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:32 AM   #1750
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonsOfFun View Post
Just caught up after reading your entire blog, great ride report mate, keep 'er coming...

Cheers mate I know there is some jibbering away on in it but a lot of it is written after riding and at the end of a day so doesn't make for cohesive sentence structuring, if you need that you have to read Ewa's blog she is the intelligent one in the group not to mention the translation needed on mine and some of the Aussie phrases, thanks again.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:04 AM   #1751
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We had a nice few days hanging out in and around San Juan Del Sur its a pretty chilled place one I would come back to for a relax if I was in the area, the people are nice, there is enough tourists here if you want to have some fun as well and it is very safe.

Today was the third day i was meaning to fix the tire so that was top of the list today manyana manyana manyana had finially arrived. I got up put the compressor on the tire as it was still taking some air which was a bonus and after about 15 minutes and 20 odd pounds of pressure it was on the bike and up the road to find the tire guy. The guy we had asked about it yesterday had one look at the bike and sent us down the road to another guy who had a little work shop just up from the main drag. He came out no problemo he was onto it in a flash and a few minutes we have the tire of the bike and in his workshop which was on the front of his house. The patch done the wheel back on and everybody happy especially as he was only going to charge me not even 3 bucks, of course me being me he got a bit more than that and before you go whinin about my tipping again the chances of anyone else coming to this guys shop for a repair job are so miniscule I think he deserved a tip for being such a nice honest dude, oh ok if you do have to have yout tire patched here and he charges you 5 bucks more then sue me.

Ummmm hello Ewa your supposed to be looking at me honey

An old clothes iron base on a bench top vice was all he needed to make the patch stick.

Look at my baby wirth her ass hanging out in the streets for all and sundry to look at it, I was so proud of her being naked in the street, maybe Ill have to get Ewa to try it.

We rode all around the area checking out some nice beaches along the way, we met a couple of guys one a builder from Texas and an owner builder from Ireland oroiginally who were in a beautiful part of the world working and living. After chatting for awhile we continued on, at one point when we were riding along a dirt track we came across one heavily armed military group, what the hell they were doing out there who knows but it was weird, anyway they were cool smiling waving and no problmes at all even though I had my camera on my head.

We headed back into San Juan Del Sur and relaxed for awhile then headed down town to grab some dinner, we got chatting to a nice couple from Vancouver for awhile they were down here in Nicaragua agains't the wishes of their family as it is so dangerous ahahahah how funny the peoples impressions of places they have never been is, it still amazes me that we have these preconceived ideas on all these different places of the world where in reality this town is as nice and safe as anywhere you would find in any other part of the world. As we were walking home after dinner we saw a group of bikers who had just pulled up heading north and had been through South America so we headed over to chat to them. Bill from Australia, Aturo from Mexico, Peter and his girl from Germany, I have forgotten her name which is surprising as she was pretty damn hot actually, ohh shhh Ewa go find a cemetery for crying out loud. We put them onto the hotel where we were staying and they were happy with the price and the parking for the bikes so after they unpacked and showered we all walked back down into town for a drink and dinner. Me and aussie Bill got chatting while the others went to another reataurant for a pizza. He had hooked up with Andre the Dutch guy we rode with in Baja which was nice to hear some of their adventures together. Apparently he was riding with the Phil Marian and ummmm you know how it is for us old guys, I will have to do some checking up and see what happened to them.

Ewa called it a night and me and Bill hung around for and hour or two more drinking chatting telling different stories which is always fun. Called it a night about 11:30pm we are heading over the border to Costa Rica in the morning so we will hopefully make an early start as they do say the border crossings arent as bad between 8am and mid morning as the over night buses come through at the crack of dawn then the next lot come through around 11 so we will check that theory out.

Some more photos of San Juan Del Sur

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 02-21-2014 at 08:16 AM
Old 02-21-2014, 08:23 AM   #1752
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

I woke up just before 7 this morning which was great i had a few drinks last night so not long after hitting the hay I was out like a light, of course that was after the 6 hour marathon love making session I put Ewa through, ok it seemed like 6 hours to me OMG shes giving me the evil eye, pffft just go post a flower or a butterfly on your blog sweet cheeks and leave me alone, oh ok nothing happend I was dead to the world in no time, there are you happy now, this is my blog, got to spice it up a little.

Bill was already up so we had breakfast with him and Ewa got to packing the bike as usual. We chatted for alittle longer than we would of liked cause the sweet little German guirl arrived out from behind closed doors in some nice shorts worth taking our time over, in the end we were still out of there at 8:30 so not to bad as it was only about 40 k's to the border. Before we left we threw my Gps on Bills mount and it started up so that is another bonus knowing it is the mount that is rooted and not the Gps, im sure that will save me some money and I might be even able to fix it myself. We arrived at the border execting anything from 2 hours to 6 so we were very happy to get through in no time at all and everything when as smoothly as it possibly could. Heres a short video of the whole crossing hope you enjoy it.

Im sure this video will come in very handy if you are crossing the border at some point.

After getting through thr border with no issues at all we rode down the Pan American highway to Liberia where we found a Mcdonalds and yep even though I had only eaten breakfast a few hours ago I was going in for a burger. We got the computer out and had a look through some of the places we might like to go and while we were doing that I got chatting to a guy from Toronto who had just been over the border to Nicaragua with his friend Sveltana so she could renew her visa. We had a chat for a few minutes then they were off out of here just in front of us. I tend to catch people pretty quickly and they were only riding little 125's. As I came up behind Svetlana a rock came flying off a truck that she was behind about the size of a tennis ball and I saw it happening in slow motion, she ducked and the rock went right past her head Im sure if she hadnt seen it and moved her head it woud of if not smashed straight into her face but glanced off her and woud of sure been interesting. It just reminds me that you never follow to close behind trucks espeically in some countries where they are bit slack as they tend to leave a gate oppen so shit flies out of them so they dont have to sweep the tray up and also that you cant see any pot holes that might be coming you certainly have to leave yoursefl time to react in this part of the world it is not uncommon to have to dodge half a road missing or somethign of that ilk. She was very lucky indeed, it coud of been much much worse quite easily.

We passed them and I pulled over to throw them a wave as we were heading to a beach not far from Liberia and they were heading way down the coast to another place where Svetlana has been living, apparently very nice and a place we might drop in on the way along, they do say there is some nice spots down on this pennisula. We enede up in a small coastal town called Punta somethign read ewa's blog she will name it

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 02-21-2014 at 08:35 AM
Old 02-21-2014, 09:18 AM   #1753
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 3,776
That is one of the best border crossing vids I've seen.
Looking forward to each up date Sheldon.

Having worked as a diesel truck mechanic for years, one sees a lot of things.
This gal ducking the rock. Rocks get caught between the rear duals and fly out at road speed.
Smell hot rubber while following a truck/bus? Watch out! A recap may be headed your way.
I've seen the aftermath of brake drums flying apart. Sheesh!

So stay alert mate, we need this RR.
OldPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:25 PM   #1754
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Thanks Pete.

We got up to leave today we would of liked to spend a few days around here in whatever town this is but with no vacancies and our time running short the decision to push on was an easy one. I got up and had a look on Google maps to see the route we were taking to go down the coast , Ev came over and said do you want to write the towns down, yeah whatever, all I need to know is the numbers of the roads there is only two we need to take and that takes us down the coast. Well you guessed it not writing them down was not the wisest decision we were no sooner up the road about 10 K's and we are lost, well I was lost. I had forgotten the number of the road and there was quite a few more turns offs that are shown on Google and of course there is no street signs signifying what road you are going on anyway. Oh well im sure we will find our way somehow. We stop at one of the intersections and take a second to decide which way to go and this expat guy pulls up for a chat, he explains this is the road and points down the one I was thinking so I am on the right track for now, was very nice of him it wasn't to hard to tell we were lost. He told us there was petrol down the road too which was good to know.

We cruised on down the road and stopped for petrol to make sure we don't get stranded low on petrol anywhere as we are heading off into the unknown. Not far down the road we come across another intersection with lots of playa ie beaches signed, so yep that will do us it must be the coast road, 10 minutes later we are on dirt road, yeah OK now it is quite along way down the coast if it is all dirt then it will take a little while, now I understand why Svetlana and the other guy we met yesterday were riding inland and then across, they did say the last section to where they were going can take an hour and that was just a little stretch of the road I'm on. We were making good time Ev was saying maybe we should go back but I knew where I was going how could I not the coast was on my right and we are heading south right. An hour later and even though I staring at a sign that says DEAD END, I'm thinking to myself no that cant be right maybe someone just put that up there to keep people out, ill go a little further maybe they will have another dead end sigh with I'm not joking it really is a dead end mate on it. We pushed on for another 15 minutes the road was getting slowly worse and I pulled over when I saw a car coming along and a nice couple gave us the tip that in fact it was a dead end, oh well that sucks, but it's only about a kilometer away now and we have come this far we might as well go see the river where it stops. Its really pretty hot by now Ev is in all her safety gear I'm in my Aussie safety gear, board shorts, t shirt and flip flops so a lot better than she is in this heat, she doesn't deal with the heat well at all. If I ever need a break from here Ill just organize a desert holiday and Ill be free to roam solo.

We checked out the river mouth and the surrounding beach there but didn't stay long as we had a fairly good ride back to even start where we needed to go but all good we were having some fun at this point. It was a sultry 37 degrees Celsius so hot enough to be uncomfortable and if I was to I'm imagining Ewa must have been dying on the back with all her kit on. I'm glad she's such a stickler with her safety gear it takes the pressure of me to make her wear it, I do wear mine pretty much all the time as much as some of the pictures might tell a different story lately, I do tend to ride much more sedately when I'm in my board shorts and a t shirt so there is a positive aspect to it.

We stopped to get a drink and it turns out we have ridden for a few hours and are actually further away from the town Santa Cruz we were looking at so that sort of sucked, oh well no use complaining about it back on the bike and on the road we got. I don't know what it is lately, the wind the new helmet with the cam on it but my neck has been giving me hell and today was no different, we decided to stop at the next hotel we found as I was starting to struggle, hotel after hotel we passed and I thought next one next one next one, all the while we are totally lost not knowing at all where we are going other than south towards the beaches down there and the ferry back over to the mainland.

I was really starting to get pissed off not only cause I was in so much pain but the hotels didn't have pools in them and I said to Ewa the next hotel with a pool I'm stopping. Well two hours later and I'm still riding along, I seriously have no idea where I am, all I knew is the shadows were coming across the road from my right so that means I'm heading south, but that's it I'm getting off the bike at the very next hotel I see, ok one more that one looked like a shithole, thank gawd the next one was only 100 metres down the road. We check in and by this time I'm so rooted, I go in lie down and fall straight asleep and don't wake up till after 6 o'clock, so after riding all day and waiting to find a hotel with a pool I didn't get to swim anyway, I'm a bloody spastic sometimes. The good news is we had ridden all day stopped off a so many beaches towns without having any idea where we were or where we were going and this hotel was 200 metres from the ferry we were catching to the mainland, I kid you not I had no idea but what a bloody bonus, I just wobbled my head and said to Ewa I knew where I was all along honey I was just playing lost, yeah right.

There is certainly to levels of society down here in Costa Rica some of the places they live although in amazing locations are like they are squatting and ready to leave at any time then up the road all the expats are building their macmansions along he hillside.

Makes you think tiwice about a tip when there are these little creatures strewn all around the beach, I was telling Ewa if you swim they usually are in big swarms (well they have been known to be Indonesia) so just clench your fist fingers and toes as sea snakes have really small mouths and cant bite you, needless to say she wasn't going in the drink or anywhere near it for that matter.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 02-22-2014 at 05:49 PM
Old 02-23-2014, 09:01 AM   #1755
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

The hotel where we were was really nice but the one thing I will remember it for is the dinner the old girl dished up to me last night, you know the old standard spaghetti Bol you cant go wrong hey well this shit she trued to feed me was the worst Ive had by far, Ill be stuffed what she did to it or what the meat was but man it was disgusting I tried to smother it in sauce then some sweet chili crap and still could get the shit down. I honestly cant remember the last time I pushed over half a pate of food away from me seriously on a scale from 1 to 10 with most spag bols I have encountered around the world with the average being in the 7's this rubbish was seriously maybe a 2 if I pushed the friendly button. Look dont ask me how I know but lets just say the meat that was in it was of a lesser standard than dog food, Ev was a little surprised my reaction so tried some of it and she couldn't even stomach more than a bite or two. I felt like telling the old bag to just take the spag bol off the menu but every hotel has to have something you remember it for and anyone else that eats this crap will certainly never forget this joint. As for knowing what dog food tastes like, look at me does it look like ill pass up any type of food if I'm hungry.

40 bucks a night is pretty good for a hotel but just dont eat the spag bol

So today we were up and heading down the ferry just down the road we had just missed one ferry by about 45 minutes and I just thought there might be some shops and stalls or something to walk and look aroudn at but with it being just a ferry wharf and nothing else it was decided to just jump back on the bike and go for a little ride around and check out the surrounding area. We rode for about 10 minutes one way then the other and came across this nice resort style hotel which had wifi so we decided to go in and have a drink and get online to see exactly where we were going when we got off the ferry. While we were there we met a nice couple Scott and Denise from Minnesota back in the states, we only got to talk to them briefly as we had to get back down to the wharf but a nice chat it was anyway, it always nice to meet friendly people wherever in the world you go. We headed back down to the ferry and were right on time we had been chatting away and not seen it go past and dock so luckily I didn't keep jibbering.

Scott and Denis from Minnesota relaxing by the pool, they were the only guests in this whole resort so very relaxing time.

Time to leave for the ferry

Waiting to board the ferry

We loaded the bike on the ferry, the cost was a surprise only about 11 bucks for me, Ewa and the bike which was a bonus. The ferry ride took about an hour and a half maybe a little less it was a nice little relaxing trip across the water to the mainland.I still cant get over just how much like Australia this whole part of the world is Aussies reading this could see the similarities in this picture.

I was telling Ewa about how these boats sink quite regularly so it was important to know where to get floatation devices if it happens, I helpfully pointed out a few to make her feel better. Its just the nice guy I am to care so.

I was totally immersed in the local scenery for the trip it was just so lovely it only cost me one slap on the back of the head from Ewa so it was reasonably priced.

We had all good intentions of just getting a hotel on the other side and see what it had to offer but there was a big festival going on and the hotel we stopped off at 160 bucks US a night and it wasn't that flash looking so we thought stuff that we will ride out of town a little way and find something a little more reasonable. So riding out of town and riding out of town and riding out of town later we are up in the hills somewhere, I have no idea and when I see a nice hotel we pull in, this riding around with no Gps maps or phone is starting to shit me, in Europe I could just sit on a intersection and wait for a biker to go past or a biker would stop and talk to me but trying to get directions from the locals around here is like a Forest Gump Candy box you never know what you are going to get and like usual when it comes to those assorted box of chocolates its usually the shitty Turkish delight or one of them crap ones you get, I just want the caramello chocolate baby not the direction to the wrong place.

So in the end a pretty relaxing day the regurgitation from last nights spag bol has subsided and I chowed down on some BBQ chicken which was pretty nice actually so I'm feeling part human again which is a bonus.

The road riding in Costa Rica has really sucked quite bad to be brutally honest, slow going traffic,double yellow lines everywhere, no one overtaking, 40kmh zones and school zones with a 25 k limit everywhere it really is slow going and there is cops everywhere, I have been told they like to give tickets out so I've probably been a little over cautious than I have in other places where they just shoot you cause I don't want a ticket.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 02-23-2014 at 09:16 AM