Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2014, 07:07 PM   #1756
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 1,906
The hotel where we ended up last night was really nice the locals went out of their way to make us happy with whatever we wanted but today it was up and onwards to San Jose . We booked a hotel on booking.com and got ourselves a nice joint with a gym for Ewa and a flat screen for me and it was really very good deal and most importantly right around the corner from the Bmw dealer so I can just go around there in the morning to sort out this brake sensor if possible. The road into San Jose was just another ordinary ride, traffic, slow speed zones, and plenty of cops floating around on the highway. We went out for a ride this afternoon and bought a new phone from the phones shop in walmart so I am mapped up again which is going to be a lot easier.

The pool at the hotel yesterday made for a nice relaxing afternoon and evening and with the check out time being 1pm it gave us enough time to enjoy it today as well.

Not a bad thing to do with old car tires now is it.

But then it was time to leave and head to San Jose. It only took us asking 4 people today so no problems at all, Im not going to miss having to stop and ask people all the time especially when even when Im trying to speak Spanish they have absolutely no idea what I am saying fair dinkum really how different can San Jose sound.

83 kilometres was all we were riding today and with the shitty roads and the slow speeds it took us over 2 hours and then when we got nearer to San Jose I was absolutely gob smacked to come to a toll booth to pay for a section of the road, friggen hilarious if that was a toll way im a monkeys uncle.

Some of the scenery along the way on todays ride.

There is really quite a few cops around on the roads here in Costa Rica.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 02-23-2014 at 07:19 PM
rideforsmiles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:47 PM   #1757
pskanp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Wonderful.....
& Well Narrated!
more please........! :)
pskanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:35 PM   #1758
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Thanks for following psk

Took the bike it to have it serviced here in Costa Rica Bmw Motoraad today and have everything checked out before heading into South America and great they could do it straight away. The bad news is the rear brake caliper I have been telling Ewa for 12 months that is supposed to moved and doesn't turns out to be seized, this is the 4th dealer I have taken it into and mentioned it only to get the no its fine, I always took their word for it but was sure it was supposed to have movement in it but who am I to argue with the pros right, today this guy comes straight back out and says it is seized so thank you Mechanic but now we have to fix it. More good news they have a wrecked bike out the back that I can have parts off which is lucky and will save me some money.

Thanks again for your tip Old Pete I had them look at the rear wheel bearings and yeah they needed replacing as well so anyway I have no idea how much this is all going to cost me but shit I feel like im about to cross the Sudanese border again, I got greeted there by a guy pointing a 50 caliber machine gun at me, im sure tomorrow might not be not much different except it will be a piece of paper in their hands but it might still have the same effect and give me a few heart palpitations, Im actually dreading it more than the border crossing into Sudan and im not joking

Brake sensor on the front brake
3 rear wheel bearings
Rear brake caliper
Rear brake pads
Rear brake lamp cover and lamp
and a full service
and im really scared of tomorrow and what lies ahead for my pocket

The guys and girls here have been really nice and helpful so far, lets hope the niceness continue on tomorrow when I get the bill

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 02-24-2014 at 07:09 PM
Old 02-25-2014, 01:22 AM   #1759
Blue Icebreaker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Hi Sheldon I have the same F800 GS I'm interested after how many kms did you do the full service and all these other repairs? Thanks.
As soon as you concern yourself with the 'good' and 'bad' of your fellows, you create an opening in your heart for maliciousness to enter. Testing, competing with, and criticizing others weaken and defeat you. Morihei Ueshiba

Blue Icebreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:13 AM   #1760
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 3,775
Good update and glad the bearings were dealer sourced/installed.

Mechanic's opinion: When ball bearings are improperly installed one or both races can burinell,
little dents are made in the race groove and this really shortens bearing life.

Best Regards,
OldPete
OldPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:34 AM   #1761
El_Duderino
Adventurer

G'day Sheldon! Mate, what an impressive RR....easily the best RTW report I've ever seen and rivals Simon and Lisa Thomas for info, but you go into so much more depth, honestly of your impressions, have pics n video, plus there's the awesome Aussie humour thrown in!

In regards to needing a new front brake sensor, I would replace the front pads at the same time mate...if it's triggered the light, that means you only have <3mm of pads left cos the Bakelite on the sensor has been worn through to make electrical conduct (which turns on the light), n a new sensor alone is useless cos it'll happen again almost immediately. Not long til you'll need replacements in that case, so it's well worth doing considering where you're about to go walkabout. (My ex-Motorrad parts-dude advice) ;)
Old 02-26-2014, 12:44 AM   #1762
El_Duderino
Adventurer

Also, would love to hear more (even by PM) of your experiences in the USA. I'm about to buy a BMW 650 in preparation for visiting the Yanks and Cannucks in a couple of months to tackle the Trans-Am Trail n beyond. Any advice from one Aussie to another would be most appreciatiated...hehe! Keep it sunny-side up n rubber-side down, n keep smiling along the way mate!

BTW, great to see Dri-Rider gear represented in such hard-core fashion.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:40 PM   #1763
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duderino View Post
G'day Sheldon! Mate, what an impressive RR....easily the best RTW report I've ever seen and rivals Simon and Lisa Thomas for info, but you go into so much more depth, honestly of your impressions, have pics n video, plus there's the awesome Aussie humour thrown in!

In regards to needing a new front brake sensor, I would replace the front pads at the same time mate...if it's triggered the light, that means you only have <3mm of pads left cos the Bakelite on the sensor has been worn through to make electrical conduct (which turns on the light), n a new sensor alone is useless cos it'll happen again almost immediately. Not long til you'll need replacements in that case, so it's well worth doing considering where you're about to go walkabout. (My ex-Motorrad parts-dude advice) ;)

I probably should of got the front brake pads done as well, I cant believe how long they have lasted so Ill wear them to the death and see how far I can get on them, I had them preplaced in Morocco would you believe 30 thousand k's ago I am totally amazed there is anything left at all as I had no back brakes for a large portion of that. I do carry spare pads so will put them in soon but I reckon those front pads must be up for some sort of a record so want deny them that opportunity of braking it even if it does mean my life in the process, thanks for the tip, ill get onto it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duderino View Post
Also, would love to hear more (even by PM) of your experiences in the USA. I'm about to buy a BMW 650 in preparation for visiting the Yanks and Cannucks in a couple of months to tackle the Trans-Am Trail n beyond. Any advice from one Aussie to another would be most appreciatiated...hehe! Keep it sunny-side up n rubber-side down, n keep smiling along the way mate!

BTW, great to see Dri-Rider gear represented in such hard-core fashion.

As for the States there is some amazing riding and the people are really friendly, if you want to save some bucks and meet good people which I didn't know until late in my adventure is that Advrider has a tent space section and you could contact guys to meet stay with and get good tips if you were interested in that, there is heaps and heaps of contacts on there. In Europe I found a lot of the riders ride Beemers or adventure bikes so it was easy to just stop at an intersection and follow someone or they would come up and talk to you and point you in the right direction to some good riding where as most of the guys in the States are on big fat Harleys and aren't looking for anything to difficult other than a cruise down the highway, not that there is anything wrong with that either.

One place not to be missed is the Icefields Parkway Banff to Jasper in Alberta Canada absolutely spectacular by far the most beautiful road I have ever ridden on in any continent, if you follow my route on the "where am I know" on my website from Yellowstone up through Glacier national park and the going to the Sun road don't miss it if you can help it, mate there is just so much to see, one other place I would say don't miss if it near you is the Trail of the 100 Giants in the southern end of the Sequoia national park if you are near there you can ride that and cross the Sherman pass across into Death valley if you are in that part of the world check out my blog you can see some pictures the best part about that was there was no one else around and those trees are incredibly huge.

As for the Dri-Rider jacket I saw a few of my adventure friends got a sponsor from one of the manufacturers of gear and I thought that would be cool I should ring up Dri-Rider and ask them for a new jacket, sadly for me even though its three years old it's still in great condition so I cant really be ringing them up saying I want a new jacket but this one is still ok, seriously the only thing that has gone on it was the little buckle clips that use to tighten the sleeves and sides and with me being pleasantly plump I don't need them anyway, for 500 bucks it was a great investment and I would highly recommend them to anyone, oh and as you can see lately I love being able to take the sleeves off when it is cooking hot.

Thanks for the wrap on the blog mate that was the best 20 bucks I've ever spent , Ewa has been giving me shit cause hers has 5 stars and mine only four I might have to donate 10 bucks to each person that rates my blog to get it above hers then im back in control of this sordid affair

Cheers mate and safe riding.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 02-26-2014 at 08:00 PM
Old 02-26-2014, 07:57 PM   #1764
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Icebreaker View Post
Hi Sheldon I have the same F800 GS I'm interested after how many kms did you do the full service and all these other repairs? Thanks.

Hey mate, I've been doing a standard service every 10 000k's or there about. Since the warranty ended I've been able to do them myself which has saved me quite a few dollars. I know some people say change the oil after 5 000 but I personally think that is a little over the top but each to their own. The only issues I have had with mine was, the front brake discs came loose replaced under warranty (Czech rep), the front bearing replaced under warranty (Czech Rep) the alternator failed replaced under warranty (Sweden). Now I have just had to replace the rear brake caliper, other than that it hasn't missed a beat in 107 000 kilometers. Oh I did have the EWS error message ( you know the anti theft key thing) twice but both times left it for a cigarette or two tried another key and away I went.

I know I complain about how much the Bmw service centers cost at times but I have to say they have been really pretty good to me throughout my adventure and totally looked after me as in the case of Costa Rica Bmw I couldn't speak highly enough of these guys they totally looked after me and im about to blog it.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:32 PM   #1765
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

I got up today and left Ewa hanging out in the hotel this 5 star joint only cost us 80 bucks worth lashing out since I'm in the mood for blowing some money taking my bike into Bmw for fixing. I was really dreading today I had no idea what it was going to cost and was expecting absolutely anything with all the work they had to do. I got over there and they were just finishing washing my bike and the guy who could speak English calls me in and I said do I need to sit down for this and he says yeah, He hands me the bills and there is like hundreds of thousands of dollars written on it you know the Costa Rican money I have no idea how much that is it just looks shitloads with all those zeros pasted everywhere. I'm starting to sweat and my heart is about to stop when he says that is 425 dollars, what a friggen bonus I was expecting seriously anything up to or more than a thousand with everything brake calipers pads sensors Gps working etc etc etc. I was paying with my card but got all the rest of the money I had in my pockets about 15 bucks and went into the mechanic and said buy beer amigo, I think they could tell I was happy with the price.

20 minutes later Im on the bike riding back over to get Ewa and the gear happy as Larry I tell you, Ok 425 bucks isn't chicken feed but to have the bike all back together and all the work they did on it in a lot of places labor would of amounted to more than a few hundred bucks so I was absolutely stoked. Thanks you to the guys at Bmw Motoraad Costa Rica I have to give them a plug they really did go out of their way to help me out. If you are ever down this way and need anything don't hesitate to drop into see them they will certainly look after you.

When I got back to the hotel I was telling Ewa how cheap it was and how I was so shocked then I realized I wonder if they charged me for the service on the invoice all the other things were on there bit nothing about the service. We packed up and I said I just want to g o back to make sure that they didn't leave it off by mistake you know karma stuff I would hate to think that I left the dealer with someone that had made an honest mistake and one of the guys had to repay it out of their own pay packet. Ewa being the penny pincher was going no don't worry about it but I said for the sake of a few hundred bucks Id prefer to make sure that we left knowing no one was in the wrong, I'm sure these guys aren't on the big bucks so a few hundred might be a bigger dent in their pay packet than in other places. Ev said you know that's what I love about you and I responded with steady on girl as I backhanded her for her insolence, fancy using the L word around me.

San Jose Centro

Another civilized country, im going to Desayuno you baby.

We packed up said out goodbyes to the guys at the hotel and rode back over to Bmw. I went in and asked about the bill turns out everything is order so that was a bonus, I wasn't real fussed if it wasn't I was still really happy that my bike had been repaired and everything that needed doing was done within 24hours of arriving at their door. I said my goodbyes to all the guys again and this time hit the road towards San Jose where I was going to hook up with John the Aussie expat who I had met at the border of Nica and Costa Rica the other day and was the Central American Rep for Ohlins. I've been worried about my shock for awhile with it bouncing a little, usually a sign it is on the way out, while we were waiting a guy wanted to get out of the car park so I went to move the bike and at one point there is a bit of the driveway missing and when I went backwards and stopped to put my foot down there was nothing to put it on and over the bike went, now call me a pussy but if you have ever had a fully laden bike over 45 degrees it isn't staying upright well not with this little black ducks leg under it anyway, So over we go feeling like a right dickhead but oh well this thing is so top heavy with all the bags on I'm surprised I don't have it on its side more often. Enrique from Venezuela and Ev help me pick it back up no dramas and we start up a conversation with Enrique and tell him we are thinking of heading into Venezuela, turns out he had moved his family from their 2 years ago because of the security issues but had just been back for a few months over Christmas so we swapped details and he said if we do decide to go that way he will be more than happy to communicate with us about where it is best to ride so that might come in very handy.

We still haven't decided which way we are going to go yet we will have to make that decision when we get to Colombia with some more advice which is hard to get, you know its the same every time, the people that have left have some horror story, the people in Colombia will just say they are evil as always the case of any other neighboring country and you cant believe anything you hear on the news about the issues down there as Venezuela are openly anti American so the day I see a positive story on CNN or one of them media mobs up there that will be the day the yanks have signed off on the Venezuelan oil reserves. Oh well we will listen take it all in and make a decision from it its no big deal either way we will get there eventually, I did see the other day both sides of politics down there protesting and I think the underlying thing of all Venezuelan people is they want the senseless violent crime to stop, well that doesn't seem to unreasonable does it.

Its like South Africa in a way with all their senseless violence down there, they will rob you and shoot you down there as well and I heard many first hand accounts of it as well, so its not just hearsay, the problem down there is they have Zimbabwean and, Malawians heading down there for work since Nelson took down all the borders saying if you are black you are welcome in South Africa, then you have all South African and all their tribal stuff the Indians the coloreds and the whites its a mixture that has a lot of poverty and a lot of wealth and of course with that comes the violence, the difference as I can see it is just Venezuelans against Venezuelans so surely it could be to hard to stop the infighting, every Venezuelan I have met has been really friendly and they have knocked out quite a few Miss Universes, ok they murdered one of them not to long ago in another one of those senseless robbery murders along the highway so one less than they used to have. Pretty stupid stuff really isn't it when you think about how we kill each other for possessions of any kind, go figure, we will work it one day I guess then again maybe we wont. Anyway back to riding my motorbike.

We waited a while then John turned up he has been racing bikes all his life and new everything there was to know about suspension and had one look at mine and said I'm not selling you one when you don't need it we can just tweak this one and it will be sweet. No that's another bonus here I was thinking it was going to be another 1300 bucks to buy a new shock but a few turns here and few there and I right as rain, you beauty mate. We chatted for awhile they do service a lot of the Bmw bikes here as well and have a lot of parts in stock and it us run by John and a German guy so you can get all the help you need here as well at La Moto AG. John is in the process of opening another shop up in Nicaragua so in a few months you will be able to source help there as well.

John from La Moto AG originally an Aussie but been over this part of the world most of his life

So we chatted for awhile but he was busy so we said our goodbyes and hit the road towards Jaco down on the coast, it meant back tracking over some of the road we came in on but it was ok it was a nice hot day and it was now after 2 so I wasn't looking for anything to challenging other than a hotel with a swimming pool, I know 35 isn't hot but its hot enough in all your gear.

The ride down to Jack was pretty much on good roads but the last 50 k's the road was lined with fruit stalls right up Ewa's alley but nothing there im going to like, don't know why im posting a picture really just was one that I picked out to give you an idea of what you might see around here.

At one point we came across this bridge and there was quite a few stalls on one side and few people walking over it I was wondering what it might of been, we drove for a few k's and then thought stuff it lets go back and see I bet its crocodiles in the river and sure enough that's what it was.

We arrived in Jaco and its a pretty touristy town so plenty of hotel options. We rode around a little bit and checked the prices mostly around the 80 buck mark still a little expensive so kept on looking but in the end I had enough and said the next one is it Ev and fortunately that was the cheapest of the lot at 60 bucks. Right in town about 50 metres to the beach. Straight out of my gear and into the pool with a nice dive which would of rated very highly in competition just to impress the lovely young lass sunning herself by the pools edge, oh ok I walked down the steps in the pool like an old man but I think I have hurt my back when I picked the bike up in front of Johns shop and the diving in sounded better in my mind anyway.

We went for a walk around down and down the beach it really is pretty nice here but not really my cup of tea, to many people its more your tourist town and cringo city which isn't a bad thing plenty of people for me to jibber rubbish too.

That's it honey you keep whispering those sweet nothings in my ear but it isn't getting you out of my massage tonight.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 02-26-2014 at 10:34 PM
Old 02-26-2014, 09:48 PM   #1766
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Ev was telling me it was the 24th yesterday as that is what the lady put on the bill but it turns out it is the 25th and furthermore I had been counting 30 days in February oops time is a ticking away to get the boat so we were up and at em this morning and on the road to the border.

Leaving Jaco Costa Rica

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 02-28-2014 at 07:19 AM
Old 02-26-2014, 10:05 PM   #1767
mettalique
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Sorry to hear about your back mate. It doesn't take much when a bike gets dropped as your doing that little twisty thing to keep it upright at the last second

Maybe we could import a couple of those workshop to here...would go over nicely

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
mettalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:37 PM   #1768
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mettalique View Post
Sorry to hear about your back mate. It doesn't take much when a bike gets dropped as your doing that little twisty thing to keep it upright at the last second

Maybe we could import a couple of those workshop to here...would go over nicely

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The back sucks but it will get better, crossed into Panama this morning so will update the border crossing later but here a little story to keep you amused.

Got my first ticket of the adventure today, yep you guessed it overtaking a car and a truck on double yellow lines, cop says to me you pay 30 dollars now me drink Heineken no fine, me say, no pay fine now you no drink Heineken, me pay in Panama. Get my ticket, I ride off up the road and around the corner and overtake the very next truck on double yellow lines, Ewa pokes me in the ribs, I turned and shouted at her, as if Im going to let one ticket slow me up. I now officially have 0.0009345794 cents in fines for every Kilometer travelled, of course that's if I pay it. Oh what the office is closed and I leave Panama on Monday morning for Colombia, that's sucks and I wanted to do the right thing.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:56 PM   #1769
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,503
Go for it,
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:12 AM   #1770
TonsOfFun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Ticket

Nice, now you have some emergency toilet paper..
TonsOfFun is offline   Reply With Quote