Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2014, 09:27 PM   #1816
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 2,051
Thanks for the replies guys. Salvador looks like we will be missing Bogota this time around but thanks for the offer, if things change I'll let you know.

Dan I cant remember where I wrote that but I must of been when I was reflecting on the last few years. It's funny when you read back through the blog as me and Ev sometimes do looking at the pictures and reading my jibberish it brings back such fun memories, it's amazing the little things you forget when you are on such a long trip, Im glad I've kept a fairly good record of it.

What your telling me you don't have x-ray vision like me Dot, at one point Janina said that she might run off with Ev, how do you respond to gorgeous girl saying that about your one true love, I replied in the only way I thought appropriate, MAKE MY DAY SWEETHEART.
rideforsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:13 PM   #1817
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Ewa got a case of Khaki fever tonight with me wearing this stuff, that's what the rangers call it in Africa in the game parks when the pretty little fillys come to visit from all around the world.

He could of been saying blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth, then again he could of been reciting Isaiah 56:12, Come,” one says, “I will bring wine, And we will fill ourselves with intoxicating drink; Tomorrow will be as today, And much more abundant.

Yeah that's more up my alley.

I have to say I really did enjoy walking around the old town with Ev at nights, the temperature cooled from the hot days and the breeze off the Caribbean made it pretty romantic to just stroll around and it wasn't a half bad optical either not that I was looking of course. You know the old story when your trying to be romantic with one chick and you spot a hot bird walking the other way you have to look at some old building and focus on it till she walks into your line of vision, I used to have to do that but now I just say to Ev shhh up Ill take you to a cemetery tomorrow and it's all sweet, she made the deal.

Dinner in the plaza here in the old town in Catagena

You turn your back for a second and this is what happens, Ev just grabs hold of anyone this time it's Johnny Alabama

Couldn't help asking, how much honey.

While Ev and I were walking around we had seen an old Tenere in a hostel from Great Britain, on closer inspection it was pretty obvious from the stickers he was heading north, we looked around the hostel with no luck and went on our merry way. Later that day we saw the bike again this time stopped at a set of lights, so I walked on over and started a chat with Andy from England, he had just spent 18 months or thereabouts riding all around South America so he was going to have some great information for the trip ahead. He parked his bike as he was about to move into this hotel where we had met, by the looks of it I can see why he was only paying 10 bucks a night, the quality of the girls at the door was a lot to desired but oh well budget travel has its ups and downs.

Andy was full of great stories of his rides so we organized for him to come and meet the other guys Johnny and David, we are all heading in the same direction. He arrived later and had videos pictures and maps which were fantastic of all the riding you can do in Bolivia Peru Chile etc Everyone else went to bed and me and Andy sat up for awhile longer swapping stories from Africa, he had come down the west coast so I was interested to hear all about that as he was about the east. Andy was off on a boat to Panama the next day so we said out goodbyes and he headed off top his adventure in his hotel with all the lovely girls and I did the same. What a great chance meeting an again it just reinforces how many people that just touch your life even ever so briefly and are so willing to help.

The traffic is totally off the planet here cars everywhere, apparently you ,can only drive certain vehicle's on certain days according to some number on your bike, im not sure which number it is, I don't really want to know then Ill have to abide by it, I guess the police will let me know when they pull me over eventually but so far all they have done is smile and wave at me or give me the thumbs up, which seems to be the gesture here. You pretty quickly pick up on that sort of thing when you come to a new country and as I generally wave to everyone and anyone who looks my way its nice to return their local salute.

Election day here in Colombia which made for a quitter day everywhere.

Weird the speed signs here leaves you not knowing what to do but what everyone else does and not even acknowledge them.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 03-13-2014 at 11:02 PM
Old 03-14-2014, 12:23 AM   #1818
Dotbond
Africa, Africa

Oddometer: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideforsmiles View Post
What your telling me you don't have x-ray vision like me Dot, at one point Janina said that she might run off with Ev, how do you respond to gorgeous girl saying that about your one true love, I replied in the only way I thought appropriate, MAKE MY DAY SWEETHEART.
No such luck, i'm just a humble kiwi lad, i don't have special gifts like you aussie blokes.
I think my reply would have had me being slapped.

2008 N.Z.Yamaha Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306905
2007 N.Z.Adventures Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201557
Dotbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:59 AM   #1819
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotbond View Post
No such luck, i'm just a humble kiwi lad, i don't have special gifts like you aussie blokes.
I think my reply would have had me being slapped.

Don't worry mate with the Kiwi dollar gaining strength you might be able to afford the surgery to bring you up to Aussie bloke standards one day.

Funny how I can get away with things with Ev, it reminds me of a story I don't know if I blogged it but one of the Gypsie guys we met in Bergan Norway thought it was a classic how I was able to look and talk about chicks with Ev around and get away with it without being murdered, so he though he would try it with his girl, he was so looking forward to it, he rang her up and told her about us and asked about what would she think if he did that kind of thing and looked at other girls, she just hung straight up on him, you cant win em all. NEXT!!!!

Thanks for following mate
Old 03-14-2014, 03:50 PM   #1820
DanLeb
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideforsmiles View Post

Dan I cant remember where I wrote that but I must of been when I was reflecting on the last few years. It's funny when you read back through the blog as me and Ev sometimes do looking at the pictures and reading my jibberish it brings back such fun memories, it's amazing the little things you forget when you are on such a long trip, Im glad I've kept a fairly good record of it.

Sheldon, check out post #1422 - we should all read it every morning.
DanLeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:05 PM   #1821
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Cheers for that Dan, that rally was a special time I really did nearly think I had found my heaven in Baja it was an amazing. Thanks for following mate.

Been a bit lazy with the blog in the last few days having a relaxing time but here is a short video of the ride out of Cartagena, Ill update it all tomorrow but now we are in Medellin and today we had a nice walk around the city and went to the movies doing normal stuff.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:11 PM   #1822
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

The ride out of Cartagena was busy the highways are all pretty much one lane with very few spots to overtake, legally anyway. We have heard stories that they can impound your bike for 5 days if you get picked up for overtaking on double yellow lines, man im a big chance to have a 5 day holiday if that is the case but from what I've seen already they would be able to mobilize the whole Chinese military machine with the amount of bikes that must have in storage somewhere if they do.

We stopped off for lunch in a little café along the road and met a Mexican guy riding down to Brazil for the world cup on a scooter he had done the trip quite a few ties over the years once in a Tauk tauk, Ev had a nice chat to him in Spanish I was picking up some of the stories.

We ended up finding this little hotel in a town called El Carman de Bolivar and I was going mm nah maybe not lets get off the highway and look for something in town and Ev was going oh no honey this is the one for us, I relented and she had her way, it was only after I realized it was called the Honey Moon Hotel, it really is getting more dangerous as we head south. That's as close as your getting to that so baby enjoy it.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:05 PM   #1823
elron
Still Standing

Oddometer: 256
strand by strand the web is woven & before you know it ....captured.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
elron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:08 PM   #1824
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Come on Elron do you really think she would be that silly to want to stay with me permanately, she is quite intelligent I did say when we go our separate ways for whatever reason I would just buy myself a new bike and keep riding, Im looking at different models already she can trade up and so can I, though I would like to ride her home to Poland, as I was saying to her only today I could do a little golf trip to St Petersburg, oh yeah a hole in one there im sure.

Im blogging but have forgotten this guys name the Mexican riding down to Brazil for the word, cup he was telling us about the Trans Amazonian Hwy and that is the way he is going. mmmm food for thought ill have to do some research I saw some vids of it.

The hotel we stayed in last night was a death trap pad locked gates inside bars on the windows if there was a fire in this dump you were not getting out, I actually really hate that and when I get into an environment that I know is dangerous I always take a few minutes to scope the joint out. That may be being a bit of a pussy but if you had seen how secure you were in there and something did happen it would be no laughing matter. The only escape route would have been through the roof, possibly, it was the only place where you would be breaking out of this room and of course that isn't going to be the most appropriate place to be if there is a fire, id be backing you would have had seconds before you were done. Anyway enough of that by the time I had described the dangers to Ev and had a massage I was asleep, I think she slept well I did.

So today was up and into Medellin, we had 570 kilometers to go through winding hilly countryside so I was expecting to take 2 days of easy riding but in the end we made it all the way. The ride was so nice other than the regulation trucks everywhere which sort of sucked. The roads are ok standard but ther eis pretty much no overtaking lanes so either you wait for sometimes eternity or take the gamble their isnt a cop sitting under a tree along the road.

I wont jibber on to much about the ride it was good ill just upload some pics and a video of the day. As we neared Medellin we came came across a some road works, now as a rule motorbikes don't have to stop for roadworks so I just went right along the side of them which was a couple of kilometers long and straight past the guy with the stop go sign and away we went. When we got to the other end the guy pulled the barricade aside for us and onto the open road it was. We had about an hour of fantastic riding in the hills of Colombia all to ourselves pretty much.

Coming down the hill into Medellin was a different story all together trucks traffic and maniacs everywhere and me being me I just joined the lunatic brigade without hesitation, it was actually really dangerous. We arrived safely and found the hostel we had booked and where Jeffrey from Ride for Peace had booked in but they were full so we ended up down the road in what is a very nice place.

Pictures from todays ride

I hadn't seen this much dumped rubbish on the side of the road since Albania

I wonder what I am going to do with young Ewa when we arrive in Medellin, maybe a nice romantic candlelit dinner is on the cards.

Ewa just told me im sick ahahahaha she just worked that out I might have to take back that statement that she is intelligent

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 03-16-2014 at 06:32 PM
Old 03-16-2014, 04:59 PM   #1825
salvadorfrieri
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
"Short" ride out of Cartagena? LOL You took the short ride all right, but in distance. There's another way out, much longer in distance, but would've saved you at least 45 minutes. Oh well, at least you got to see the real Cartagena, which is a shame because now you have a horrible memory of my home town.

Regarding the double yellow line thing: Yes, it is true that cops are on alert regarding this. Also, bear in mind that legally a cop is obligated to impound motorcycles withy ANY fine. The unfairness of this has been discussed over and over on our local forums and the issue has even been taken to our Constitutional Court; but the Court's decision was to confirm the law that states this.

The solution, sadly, is to either:
1. Play the "friendly dumb gringo" card which should have a 90% success rate. If it fails, use solution #2.
2. Carry a Col$50,000 pesos bill with you and just tell the officer you can pay the fine to him. You should have a success rate of 98% with this one.
3. Don't overtake on double yellow... but the problem with this solution is that it'll take you about three years to traverse the country.
salvadorfrieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:27 PM   #1826
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvadorfrieri View Post
"Short" ride out of Cartagena? LOL You took the short ride all right, but in distance. There's another way out, much longer in distance, but would've saved you at least 45 minutes. Oh well, at least you got to see the real Cartagena, which is a shame because now you have a horrible memory of my home town.

Regarding the double yellow line thing: Yes, it is true that cops are on alert regarding this. Also, bear in mind that legally a cop is obligated to impound motorcycles withy ANY fine. The unfairness of this has been discussed over and over on our local forums and the issue has even been taken to our Constitutional Court; but the Court's decision was to confirm the law that states this.

The solution, sadly, is to either:
1. Play the "friendly dumb gringo" card which should have a 90% success rate. If it fails, use solution #2.
2. Carry a Col$50,000 pesos bill with you and just tell the officer you can pay the fine to him. You should have a success rate of 98% with this one.
3. Don't overtake on double yellow... but the problem with this solution is that it'll take you about three years to traverse the country.

Thanks for the tips Salvador, the traffic didn't change my impression of Cartagena it is one of the most beautiful old towns I have traveled too, I really enjoyed it, especially all the little restaurants in the area just outside of it where we stayed, even if while in one them the toilet system broke and flooded the floor while we were eating. Also while on the way of town stopped in traffic we had many people saying hello and coming over for a quick chat, so that is always nice.

3 years to traverse the country I can believe that

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 03-16-2014 at 06:37 PM
Old 03-16-2014, 06:54 PM   #1827
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

I really like these sides of towns in all the little work shops where they ply there trade day in day out.

The skin of some animal being put out to dry.

One of the towns along the way in the hills we got lost, some guy saw that we had no idea and pointed us in the direction of Medellin, when I took a wrong turn again this time he came and got us to follow him on his motorbike to the right part of town and put us on the right track before turning around and going his own way, just another example of some random stranger going out of his way with no thanks required. Just love that stuff.

Stopped for lunch and every one got a little bit to eat

You can see the road winding down the hill on the other side of this range.

Some nice little shacks line the highway.

We were going to stop but we were both enjoying the ride so much we just kept going and going.

BMW motoraad deal he isn't but I bet he could fix anything on the bike.

That isn't a zebra crossing.

This is one way to get up the hill, it was actually steeper than it looks in this picture.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 03-16-2014 at 08:05 PM
Old 03-16-2014, 07:00 PM   #1828
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Parking for everything here in Colombia.

In one part of the trip these hoses were everywhere and the trucks could stop and be washed, was it was pretty hot we used them to pull under and cool down.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 03-16-2014 at 07:12 PM
Old 03-16-2014, 07:41 PM   #1829
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We have been in Medellin for 5 days I've been totally ignoring the blogging, we have actually been pretty quiet just going for walks around town in the local area we went to the movies yesterday to see 300 The Rise of an Empire in English which was cool we both actually like doing that when we have the opportunity, We took the Metro, yes Ewa got me on the metro it really is quite modern and ok, its funny watching all the people crowded onto it. It reminded me that every where you go, doesn't matter what country or what city or place for that matter, people are just going about their business being in the most part good people.

Hers just a few pictures of our time in Medellin.

The cable car is part of the metro system I don't know of to many other places that have a cable car as there every day transport system.

Medellin is built on the side of a steep mountain its amazing to see.

On the hillside of the city they have all these little areas for the kids to play their soccer and basketball

The local hookers are pretty much everywhere in town, for anyone interested they cost about 4 bucks and then you pay a few bucks more for the room then when they are finished they duck back into the church to repent and do it all over again.

Its not to often you get to see the artwork and the model together.

8 bucks worth of happiness........ for the heart surgeon, there was no way Jeffrey was going to get this all down.

Walking back over one of the over passes, the city is actually really clean, I don't know what I was expecting, maybe bombs and drug gangs shooting it out everywhere the standard stuff when you think of Colombia.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 03-16-2014 at 07:47 PM
Old 03-18-2014, 10:09 AM   #1830
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We left Medellin finally after a relaxing 5 days and immediately I wondered to myself why did I spend 5 days in a big city, Ok its nice to explore new places but really the hillsides immediately outside of it were much nicer. Why on earth would I spent this much time in Medellin I have no idea.

The road was a little busy to start off with twisting and winding up and down the mountains ranges, again we came to some road works where all the cars and trucks were stopped a kilometre or two it and again we just rode straight around them all and to the front. This time we had to wait a few minutes but when we were let go we had clear riding for pretty much the rest of the day, which in the end was only to a short one.

The views around here are pretty nice, all the coffee farms dot the mountain side

They will impound your motorbike for overtaking on double yellow lines here in Colombia but some of the other stuff you can do s great, while we were sitting having lunch today I saw a guy ride into town on a motorbike one handed carrying a baby, no joke probably under a year old sitting between his legs with his left hand holding onto it, I haven't got a problem with it but in the western world he has just made super status or is that super villain status, I wish I got a photo of it but the picture wil for ever be etched in my memory and if they impund my bike while I am here I'll feel a tad hard done by

We came to a small town La Pintada on the edge of the coffee region south of Medellin towards Cali and decided to stop and have some lunch, it was a really nice little town so thought we would look at staying somewhere around here surrounded by the mountains. While we were having lunch a young guy was being arressted by the cops for something across the road so we had some entertainment while eating away. All pretty harmless, women and children watching on so it was no big drama, I think by the looks of things he had been in some clinic then overstayed his welcome out the front.

What's this green stuff on my plate mate

We jumped on the bike and headed up the road to find a hotel and rode 10 minutes out of town and came across this really spectacular view of the river and mountains so that was us, we spent the afternoon relaxing in a jacuzzi and pool and taking it all in.

This really is a mountainous area

This is what happens if you try and feed me salad with my lunch

Sanduche de Pollo Gratinado, Bread, chicken mozzareall cheese, and French fries mmmmmmm breakfast of champions, I did have water with it and not coke for all you worry warts out there.

Why I was feeding my face I sent Eva off to the gym to work off her butt, cant let her get to out of shape, you just never know when she will have to walk out of the Andes and get help after we break down. Why her I hear you ask, well there is only one fishing line and she doesn't like fishing, so off you go sweetheart.

Why Ev was working out I sat back and admired my other baby, I think im getting a road chubby looking at her with all her gear off.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 03-18-2014 at 11:09 PM