Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2014, 09:36 AM   #1921
Ks-Rydr
from the land of Toto

Oddometer: 220
Plus 1, , That Panama Hat Museum should make a poster of that picture and place on their wall... It would definately increase their sales !! .
Old 04-18-2014, 08:48 PM   #1922
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 1,857
We will Cuenca tomorrow morning after a great few days here relaxing walking this amazingly beautiful and friendly town and heading to somewhere, not 100% sure yet but I want to head towards the coast again and get a little air in my lungs and salt water between my toes. Ev is actually researching some amazing spots down that way right now.

Here's just a few more of the town and the people of Cuenca.

This picture was in the video I made but I thought it was worthy of another post, you guys know how much I kike to look at local architecture but sometimes I can just sit back and admire stuff closer to home as well.

I think she was surprised I was outside the cage.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 04-18-2014 at 09:09 PM
rideforsmiles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:34 AM   #1923
HPTuner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Entertaining report & pics as always! Be safe!
HPTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:04 PM   #1924
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We had a nice ride yesterday afternoon up into the La Cajas national park and here is just a few photos of that ride.

Anyone want to go for a ride in The Andes just outside of Cuenca.....yes please!!!!

Some of the nasty locals even with only a few days left in Ecuador they are still trying to steal out hearts.

A few more of the friendly locals hanging around.

Look at this bloke in the background photo bombing his mate.

Was time to head back down the mountain after riding up to 4200 meters so we decided to swap bikes, a KLR 650 for a BMW F800 you certainly notice the difference and after only 20 odd minutes I could feel my arms and legs ringing from the vibration it's something you would get accustom too but Im so glad I lashed out and bought myself the F800 it certainly would of been a tougher journey with my back the way it is, in saying that I love riding any bike so it was fun to swap for a little while. I was asked which one I preferred that is a silly question I said of course I preferred Ev over Di though it was a close run thing.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 04-23-2014 at 12:17 AM
Old 04-19-2014, 06:57 PM   #1925
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We left Cuenca around lunch time today and had a excellent ride over towards the coast, fortunately with no rain. We said our goodbyes to Matt and Di they headed to Loja in the mountains and when we came to the turn off and looked up the valley towards the way they were heading it was raining pretty heavily. One thing I've learnt in my travels if it is supposed wet season and there is some rain around and you have an option of heading to the coast and to the dryer part of the country take it as once in the hills you see bugger all of the scenery anyway cause of the low clouds. It does sound pretty good riding through the hills though but you cant do everything and I really wanted to see the north coast of Peru and the surf there. We will catch up with them somewhere along the line hopefully. Here's a few shots of todays ride.

After leaving Cuenca we did go up the mountain range but then it was all down hill from there, this is looking down the valley with the road ahead.

The ride was only about 200 k's but for large portion of it we followed this river down the canyon.

I know sure who is building this for them but there were a lot of signs in Spanish and Chinese so not to hard to work out really is it, pretty impressive all the same.

The scenery was really very nice all the way along, the road in one section was pretty poorly maintained which was actually a very big surprise, I actually thought about pulling over to take a photo as the road surface here in Ecuador has been brilliant nearly everywhere but this is the best your going to get from Ev on the back of the bike, I was having to much fun riding.

As we came down from the higher altitude the temperature warmed up and so did the colours of the mountain range.

Then it was back to the lush green jungles again.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:03 PM   #1926
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Loving Ecuador, really no other words needed to describe what it is like to ride a motorcycle through here.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:19 PM   #1927
tlub
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Water Crossing

Ok, Sheldon, that was an amazing water crossing. But as a Yank, I have to say that unless you have crossed the Mississippi, walking all the way across on the bottom, and never stopping to catch your breath, you just can't hold a candle to us. Even small boys do this regularly.

(taken at Itasca Park, MN, the source of the Mississippi)
You should swing back and visit this part of the States on your way through, whenever that is.
tlub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:40 PM   #1928
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

The look of trepidation on his face, says it all, not to mention the other 5 at the top of the stairs that have no intention of going through, so the facts are only one in 6 Americans would be so brave to do such a challenging water crossing

I can hear them shouting from the top of stairs from here, "Come back little Johnny, are you crazy there might be a dangerous crayfish in that there pond" ahahahaha aren't you angry that you have rated my blog 5 stars already well I hope you have anyway

You never know when we will be coming back that way but would love to drop in if we do, I was only talking to Ewa saying I cant see us doing South America in a year, obviously the route we take is always weather dependent as it gets cold up your way but as it stands we will be back at some point of course unless someone from the government reads my blog and takes offence to my water crossing video, you just never know these days big brother is always watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlub View Post
Ok, Sheldon, that was an amazing water crossing. But as a Yank, I have to say that unless you have crossed the Mississippi, walking all the way across on the bottom, and never stopping to catch your breath, you just can't hold a candle to us. Even small boys do this regularly.

(taken at Itasca Park, MN, the source of the Mississippi)
You should swing back and visit this part of the States on your way through, whenever that is.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 04-20-2014 at 04:52 PM
Old 04-21-2014, 03:58 AM   #1929
HPTuner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideforsmiles View Post
The look of trepidation on his face, says it all, not to mention the other 5 at the top of the stairs that have no intention of going through, so the facts are only one in 6 Americans would be so brave to do such a challenging water crossing

I can hear them shouting from the top of stairs from here, "Come back little Johnny, are you crazy there might be a dangerous crayfish in that there pond" ahahahaha aren't you angry that you have rated my blog 5 stars already well I hope you have anyway

You never know when we will be coming back that way but would love to drop in if we do, I was only talking to Ewa saying I cant see us doing South America in a year, obviously the route we take is always weather dependent as it gets cold up your way but as it stands we will be back at some point of course unless someone from the government reads my blog and takes offence to my water crossing video, you just never know these days big brother is always watching.
Yep, I can see it now. They will have that picture of you, TOPLESS, laying back on your bike, posted at all the border crossings. Public Enemy #1!
HPTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:11 PM   #1930
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

They wouldn't want to do that I get enough unwanted attention from all the ladies already, I don't know if I could handle the extra work load

I just love living here in my own little delusional bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPTuner View Post
Yep, I can see it now. They will have that picture of you, TOPLESS, laying back on your bike, posted at all the border crossings. Public Enemy #1!
Old 04-22-2014, 09:26 PM   #1931
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We spent a night in Santa Rosa which is probably as run down town as we have seen in Ecuador but it still had its own charm, im guessing the way everyone was looking at us riding into town and then as we walked around they don't get to many tourists in this neck of the woods, and I like it like that. Even the local shopping mall was really interesting made up of butcher after butcher with all manner of meats hanging from hooks. We were in there to try and find some food but as it was Easter weekend they had shut down for the afternoon. We kept walking all around the centre of town and eventually found a nice little local restaurant and ordered some rice dish, it was actually nice enough for me to order a second serving. We had a decent room in one of the centro hotels 20 bucks so that's good for the budget and keeps old tight ass happy too.

We will head into Peru in the morning there is long lines at the petrol stations so don't know hat is happening there but Im going to need fuel soon. We just walked down into the centro to grab some dinner at 10 pm the town was still pretty busy and the locals all seemed very friendly, there was a girl by herself walking a dog so to me that is usually a good sign its fairly safe in this neighborhood, of course unless she is the girlfriend of the head gangster of the town.

Here's a few pics of Santa Rosa, this photo was taken one street back from the main centro so you can see the standard of the buildings and town.

The buildings might of been run down here in Santa Rosa but the talent certainly wasn't, that's for sure, I edited this out of the photo above, when I took the photo I didn't see her but I wish I had, Im definitely slipping, I will have to put in a little bit more time and effort into it.

Local dude chilling out enjoying a cold drink on a hot afternoon.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 04-22-2014 at 09:44 PM
Old 04-22-2014, 10:15 PM   #1932
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Up and at them today and off to country number 70 and Peru, We were lucky with the fuel though once you go past the police check point into the border region you pay a fair bit more for the fuel obviously to stop the Peruvians just coming over to fill up, Im pretty sure it was like 3 times the cost of what we have been paying but still reasonable. One thing to remember if you are coming down the coast way into Peru is that you have to have you temporary import paper from Ecuador stamped a few k's before the border, there was a police check point near the office when we came through but they didn't say anything to us and we had to come back to it, which took us about 30 minutes with all the stuffing around asking etc

So the deal is get your import paper stamped the few k's north of the border near the town of Charcras, the office is on your left as you ride towards the border near the checkpoint, then you just ride over into Peru till you see this sign below and then this is where you do all your other paperwork, the exit from Ecuador and the entry into Peru all in the one building.

Then you can either jump back on your bike like I did or walk and go back to the Aduana office which is actually right next to this sign, there you can do the import permit and get your insurance which I think was about 35 dollars for a month.

I was happy that Ev was taking her time to get the insurance for the bike all organized I just sat back and enjoyed the local architecture, what wonderful structures they were too, small but wonderful all the same.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 04-22-2014 at 10:22 PM
Old 04-22-2014, 10:39 PM   #1933
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

The beach town of Mancara was about 140 k's down the coast and we had been told that it was a place worth a visit so that is where we ended up after a nice easy ride. The day did take us a while longer than it should of because we messed up the border crossing a little by having to go back and get the exit stamp but other than the time we lost from it we were through the border in about 45 minutes tops so not bad, certainly is easy that they have the exit and entry at tables next to each other in the same building but don't forget to get your exit stamp for the bike in Charcras, why they just don't have that at the border as well I don't know but they don't and its their way or the highway as they say.

It was an good lesson to learn that not all aduana exit stamps are going to be at the border, something I will double check from now on. That is the little stuff you take for granted sometimes, we have been pretty good with that in the past researching all our border crossings and have had no problems at all and this was the first one we didn't do any and we had a problem which cost us between 30 and 40 minutes.

The main drag through Macora is lined with market stalls restaurants and hostals.

Then you have this little thoroughfare down to the beach.

Im going to have to find a cemetery soon to keep Ewa happy though she is still smiling in the picture so that's a positive, means Im not going to get knifed in the back tonight at least but this yummy mummy would of been worth it, and don't worry guys I carry duct tape for any such attacks.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 04-22-2014 at 10:51 PM
Old 04-22-2014, 11:07 PM   #1934
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

While we were walking the streets looking for dinner one of the local restaurateurs came running out trying to get us into his restaurant and asked where we were from, when Ev said Poland he said I love you in Polish and told us he can say I love you in 36 languages after a few seconds of jabbering he told us there was another Polish person in the restaurant so in we went to meet Matt and his girlfriend from Ireland Louise. They were there with friend's from Germany Olaf and his god daughter who actually I cant think of her name at the moment and Sam a friend they had met in their travels from the Uk. They invited us to join them and we joined them in beers and cocktails till 2 am in the end. With beers being 3 for 4 dollars or thereabouts it makes for some good drinking and the actual local beer is really nice.

It was a really good night, me and Louise chatted for ages while Matt and Ewa jibbered away in Polish, im sure that must of been a treat for both of them as I know we haven't come across many other Polish people in our travels that Ev has been able to sit down and have a conversation with.

The picture is a bit blurry but at 2am and as many drinks as we had what can you expect.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:19 PM   #1935
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We had just grabbed the first hotel when we came into town last night which wasn't bad but had no internet and was hot as hell in the room so while we were in town last night we found another one on the beach from with a pool so first thing this morning, well 11am we were up packed the bike and rode the 5 minutes down the road to the other place checked in and went for a swim in the pool. 25 bucks a night 20 steps from the beach isn't to bad is it now, not to mention we had the place to ourselves which was a surprise, all I can put it down to with so many cheap hostals and the like around people walk past this one look in and think nah that will be to expensive, it was what we both thought and it was only cause I didn't give a shit that we went in and asked and to our surprise it was great.

Then it was off to have some breakfast lunch and play castle building with one of the local kids who joined us, the little rug rat was cutting into my chatting time with the two Scottish girls sitting opposite us, I sent the little kid packing not long after and got into chatting mode. I was actually quite funny, a hippi walked past with a unicycle and I was telling Ewa about this guy I met in the north of Scotland riding around on one of them and then I heard the girls next to us speaking Scottish, so of course I was onto them with my grandfather coming from Scotland, I asked them if they were Rangers or Celtic fans and they said they don't follow the football, I responded with that's great at least I don't have to beat you up, though Im sure it would of been fun, you don't meet to many Scottish people on the road so it was nice to chat to them.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 04-22-2014 at 11:29 PM