goofy footers unite!

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:34 AM   #1967
TheBlurr
Banned

Oddometer: 5,588
Sigh, hope I can sell all my shit and go off on a journey like this,.

Fuck civilization and normality.
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:31 AM   #1968
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlurr View Post

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Me too,did it years ago for a sailboat,now I'm ready to do it again to go motorcycling
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:21 PM   #1969
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 2,151
Ok I survived today so here's a few picture's with just a few short captions as Im pretty exhausted and really other than great company all we did was ride and look at amazing scenery today so come along for the ride of sorts in pictures.

Want to go for a ride in pictures through the Andes of Peru, OK lets head up this valley and find somewhere to ride.

Turn off here but not long after we realize we are going the wrong way.

But what the hell we will ride along here for awhile anyway.

With landslides wiping out houses and whole villages in this area why not take steps to stop the mountain coming down on you by building your house against it.

Now on the right road heading up into the Andes.

Looking down te first valley we rode up.

And the road continued on up the valley.

The views were getting nicer and nicer the higher we went.

At 3000 metres we came across this canyon so off into it we went.

I think I just found the biggest skateboard half pipe in the world.

Blow harder Ev and keep those clouds away, OMG you guys have one tracked minds.

Looking a little wild up there.

With the weather closing in there was only one thing for it and that was to push on a bit quicker.

Till we came across this Laguna up in the mountains, but no use hanging around the road still goes on.

Time to check out how that road oriented tyre is going to go in the mud.

Still we headed up the valley.

The views were getting better by the minute.

The road goes where, oh well don't let fear hold you back and still haven't really tested out this road tyre properly.

Getting narrower and narrower and higher and higher.

Did I say the views were getting nicer and nicer before. Looking back at the road travelled.

The tyre was handling the off road no worries.

Though it was getting trickier and trickier but hey what's the worst that can happen we go over the edge but not on this section it looks like it already has.

Looking back down the valley again, should we go on, the road was getting pretty crap by now, oh what the hell I already cant breathe the bike is sliding everywhere, harden up princess and get moving before you pass out.

My new unofficial altitude riding record, I had a cigarette to celebrate, that's surely going to hell me get some oxygen into my lungs.

Ev wanted to get one up on my so she climbed a rock to take this picture and claim the record.

So at 2pm and the pass closing at 3:30 the decision as made to head back with one more photo of the view, what a ride but man Im stuffed.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 04-30-2014 at 08:07 AM
rideforsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #1970
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Meanwhile back in Huaraz life goes in as usual

Old 04-30-2014, 09:34 AM   #1971
johnno950
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,047
Terrific photos,looks like everything is going well.
johnno950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:00 PM   #1972
EyeCake
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Looks like an amazing days ride. What height did you reach?
EyeCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:55 PM   #1973
Blue Icebreaker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Any significant temperature differences up there and down back in town?
As soon as you concern yourself with the 'good' and 'bad' of your fellows, you create an opening in your heart for maliciousness to enter. Testing, competing with, and criticizing others weaken and defeat you. – Morihei Ueshiba

Blue Icebreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:06 PM   #1974
Lifes2short
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlurr View Post

My brother from another mother...

Brilliant RR btw!
Crackbook here Our current planetary location
Lifes2short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:36 AM   #1975
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We stopped off at the sight of earthquake that killed over 20,000 people. Here's some info I Googled about it.

On 31 May 1970, an earthquake off the coast of Peru caused a substantial section of the north slope of Mt. Huascaran to collapse. [Situated in the Cordillera Blanca, the world's highest tropical mountain range, Mount Huascarán rises to 6768 m above sea-level.] The avalanche moved down hill at a speed of 100 MPH with a mass of roughly 80 million cubic feet of ice, mud and rock. It ran nearly 11 miles, burying the towns of Yungay and Ranrahirca in up to 300 feet of rock and debris.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:44 AM   #1976
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

I had one of the best rides I've ever had today simply amazing, if you ever find yourself in this neck of the woods here in Peru ride this road, fast, winding, twisting, great scenery, great surface and basically no traffic one of the best rides I've ever done, this will take some beating.

Here's is a few pics of the day ill upload more later. We are now in Lima and heading for my Brazilian visa tomorrow. Pretty much like this for nearly 2 hours, full on fast riding, all down hill from over 4000 metres to sea level, AMAZING.

Some of the scenery of the day

Old 05-01-2014, 01:49 AM   #1977
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Matt and Diane turned off just before this amazing section of road to head east but there was time to give Di a hug and wish her well.

Did I tell you I hurt my shoulder in the accident I cant hold it up in the air for to long. Di, come here a little closer.

That's the girl isn't this view nice.

I just cant help myself can I, I'm only human.......well that's open to debate but oh well it was worth it.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:31 PM   #1978
Cariboostrom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Awesome pictures of an amazing ride guys.
Cariboostrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:22 PM   #1979
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cariboostrom View Post
Awesome pictures of an amazing ride guys.

We have a few days off here in Lima Danielle so im on to Ev to update her blog, between massages of course
Old 05-01-2014, 05:09 PM   #1980
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We arrived on the outskirts of Lima at about 5 o'clock so right in the middle of rush hour and all the peak traffic anyone who has ridden into Lima at that time will know what it is like just friggen crazy. I was racing this guy in a big Toyota tray back ute kind of thing and he was zig sagging in and out like a lunatic and at times flying. Me being me thought this looks fun and was on his ass the whole way. At one point I asked Ev how much further to the hotel and she said straight ahead for another 10 k's then turn left, I just laughed and said if we live that long.

In the end I dumped the guy in the Toyota he couldn't keep up with me but about 15 minutes later I've run out of puff and decided to sit right on the ass of this big truck with my wheel basically almost touching it, you have to do this as they change lanes so quickly over here if you are more than a metre behind anyone that's gap and enough and they are shooting across in. Im sitting there and here comes old mate in his Toyota pulls u behind me looking over at me shaking his head forward as if to say come on and race some more with a big huge smile on his dial. Not this time buddy I already won once Im not doing that again, seriously though it was intense concentration needed I was in the groove after riding for so many hours but now I had had enough.

Ev direction kept going and going and going I was starting to wonder if she knew where she was going and at one point turned to Ev and said there isn't many motorbikes on these roads but said to her if you were on these roads and lasted a week or two without being hospitalized then you would be lucky. Not long after saying that we get pulled up by the cops, no Espanola senor piggy hoping he knows no Aussie slang and I takeoff my helmet and break out a cigarette. I had heard all the horror stories of the cops in Peru so Im expecting anything at this point but im sitting on the railing having my ciggie letting Ev organize it all, to be honest I don't give a rats ass I've been riding pretty much other than a petrol stop for 7 hours by this time so I've had enough. Evs doing a good job it seems. Im sitting there letting the Polish gangster do all the hard work and fist one more cop turns up then another. By this time im finishing my cigarette so walk over to the second guy and say Huaraz to Lima muy bien pointing at the bike gesturing weaving etc, he jut smiles and says si si si we were both jibbering to each other, both if us not knowing what the hell we were saying but totally understood in the same breath as motorcyclists.

In the end it turns out motorbikes aren't allowed on the road we were on, well that makes sense they would be scraping them off the pavement if they did allow them on here or hosing them off one or the other. Turns out no fine no problem and our second mate offers to show us the way to the a better road to get us heading in the right direction, I guess that story isn't the horror story with aggressive corrupt cops everyone was looking for bit summed up the day we have had simply amazing days ride.

In the end we still had another hour across the city to get to the hotel sitting basically at a stand still in traffic at times long enough for me to break out and have pretty much a whole cigarette before we moved again. We eventually arrived at the hotel where Ev had marked an overlanders hostel but when we got there it was full so I just said to Ev stop crapping on get on the bike and lets get out of here. The traffic around the hotel area was fully gridlocked so I wasn't in the mood to get back in any traffic and I wasn't interested in joining in that fun again so I just rode around the streets on the footpath to another hotel I had seen a few blocks away, Im sure the pedestrians must of thought what the hell is this guy doing as they jumped out of the way but by this time I'd had enough, it was 7:40 pm. To top it off Ev started giving the lady a hard time about how much it was and I just took the money out of her hand and pushed it across the desk and said gracious.

We relaxed for awhile and then went for a walk as I hadnt eaten today yet so walked up to the centre of this part of town and wha la you guess it Maccas just to top off an brilliant day. Just when I thought id had done an amazing ride yesterday this one section went up to the top three if not the best rides I've ever done. Simply amazing.

Im making a few videos of the last few days rides but the uploads are crapola here so might be on here later not to mention my helmet cam was full so some of the video of todays ride was shot by Ev on the back using the Nikon but it still looks pretty neat.

Old mate showing us the way

Some more of the ride into Lima from the north.

The highways along these sand dunes were crazy how they don't just fall down over them and wipe em out is nay ones guess.

The views are pretty special too.

I want to see this guys parking ticket

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 05-01-2014 at 05:43 PM