Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #526
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 2,149
Headed over to Hockenheim for the first practice and got my weekend ticket 250 euro but no real dramas pretty good seats, i got them on the inner loop near Sachs corner its where I crash all the time on the playstation so i thought if i sit here now I should never run off the track again when I play Gp on the Ps3, hey you got to have some reason to sit somewhere lol

Was just sittign there minding my own business when there was a pretty good stack, got to love accidents at the motor racing and when it is 7 time World Champion Micheal Shumacher crashing right in front of you it makes it all that little bit more special ahahah

rideforsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #527
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

I think he must of heard me shouting out "where the hell did you get your drivers license Shumi in a breakfeast cereal packet".

Old 07-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #528
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Sebastion Vettel current World Champ

Ferrari looking good as usual

Old 07-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #529
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

The last few days have basically been just over at the track at Hockenheim watching the F1 which has been great. The crew of guys im sitting next to are big Shumi fans and even though I was intending to go dffor Mark Webber its not hard to falling into being a Shumi fan for a weekend he really is an amaizng driver and plus his times have been excelent in the wet. The boys were hoping for a wet race but that wasnt to be as the Sunday it was bright sunshine and a really nice day for the race.

After the races i headed home and chat to Mike and his mate who he is riding with Eric, they came to Europe 40 years ago and always said they would come back and here they are back now finally to go for a ride through the alps and the surrounding area so certainly living the dream for them.

Was an excelent weekend didnt do much other than just ride over to Hockenheim come back have a chat then go to bed. The roads are funny over here the track is not really that far as the crow flies but I think ive taken different route every time ive gone over there its a bloody pain in the ass these roads they all look the same and they seemed to loop every where but in the right direction and if you do happen to go down onto the autobahn the wrong one your heading to the next exit which can be some distance away.

Saw Mike and Eric off this morning before going over to the Grand Prix , Mike was having trouble starting one of the bikes they had rented to ride and as there was no one here they had to figure it out themselves and fortunatley they were able too without to much drama.

Another guy Frederico turned up last night a pilot for Etihad who lives in Dubai and had shipped his bike over here to go riding, well things didnt work out how he wanted to so he's only going to get one days riding which would suck but its better than nothing I guess.

All in all a great weekend great people at Stephans where im staying and good dudes at the track so made for a very enjoyable weekend.

Got up to see Mike off this morning he was out of here pretty early then I hit the fart sack again for a little while. Woke up and talked to the crew that got here the other Mike, Paul are really nice dudes and as we are all motorcycle adventures we all have some good stories to tell and of course alot in common.

I decided it was time to head over to the Grand Prix so on the bike I got ansd took off, Hockenheim is only about 10 k's away from here and had thought about camping over there but it was actually cheaper to put the tent up here at 10 bucks a night.

Got over there was able to park the bike right up near the gate which was an absolute bonus, I walked around the main part just sussing everythig out and having a look at all the different dispalys then it was off to buy some tickets. I decided to sit on the corner Sachs on the inner loop where I always run off the track when I play the PS3 so there will be no reason for me to ever stack on that corner again lol

Was a little wet but only showers so the cars weren't flying around like they could about 20 seconds slower a lap but I was lucky enough to see a stack right in front of me, we all love a good stack at the car racing but when its 7 time world champion Micheal Shumacher it was all that little bit more special. He came into the inner loop and hit the ripple strips and then slid across the track and slammed the wall right in front of us, was a classic.

Headed back home was a a good afternoon so just hung out jibbering witht the crew, they've all crashed so just finishing off this blog then im off to bed myself im actually pretty stuffed was an exciting day at the races those formula one cars certainly fly when the track dries out.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 07-30-2012 at 09:36 AM
Old 07-30-2012, 09:40 AM   #530
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Got up today and went for a ride with Frederico for about 2 hours which was nice hes really a little shakey but hes ok. He was catching a train up to Franbkfurt to fly home so we had to get back he was really enjoying himself and found a new passion it seems, its a beautiful bike he has and must be really nice to ride, hopefully he will have many more chances to come over and ride it. Alot of guys leave their bikes here at stephans it only costs 200 bucks a year which is really good and then just fly out in the summer and go riding.

I hung around for awhile then hit the highway and went to the Bmw joint about 40 k's up the road at Heppenheim. Get there and no worries it will be an hour, fine ill just hang around and watch if thats ok.

I dont know what to tell you about Bmw, you try and do the right thing by them having the bike serviced there thinking they will look after you, but fuck they charge you for the priveledge and then when the guy comes out and says your back break pads need replacing i just said wtf they were replaced in Antayla Turkey they shouldnt need replacing well I paid for them to be replaced in Turkey, maybe that was the squeak ive had in the back wheel maybe they werent fitted right and have been rubbing away to fast what ever the reason im not happy.

You would think riding one of their bikes around the world they might give you a little bit more care but seriously they dont seem to give a fuck this guy was bashing it out as quick as he could and I walked away for a few minutes to get a drink and hes thrown my heavy duty tube out and replaced them with the shit standard ones for fuck sake and then charged me 640 bucks for two tyres and I guess just having a look at the fuck up the Turkish guys had made of my back brakes, well they stopped the squeak at least. Put it this way I walked out of there feeling totaly ripped off and next time I need anything done to the bike i'll definatly be looking elsewhere than a bmw joint, they really have been a let down on the after service care.

Maybe I should check the price of tyres before I start whinging but it just seemed quite alot to have two new tyres put on a squeak looked at and borrowing a hammer to straighten up my bent rim and a crow bar to straighten my panniers. They obvioulsy seen me coming.

Anyway thats my bitch for the day you can tell im not happy with it anyway.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:06 PM   #531
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Decided to have one more day here with the place to myself so was very realxing could easily stay here longer but theres pretty much sweet fa to do around here so off I go tomorrow and head somewhere im not actually sure ill decide in the morning when I get on the bike. Ive enjoyed coming to Heidelberg not only to catch up with Mike beofre he left but to go to the Hickenheim F1 and this place is great to meet some really nice bikers doing exactly what im doing.

Storage and work shop at Stephans in Heidelberg

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 08-04-2012 at 05:08 PM
Old 08-02-2012, 02:07 PM   #532
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Decided to head over to the war sites Bastogne where and check it all out its only a few hours away so wasnt all to tough. One of the guys had given me some tips on things I should see so I headed of to Remisch which is a very pretty little town along the river as you cross from Germany into Luxemberg. I arrived there without even realising I was getting cloise I thought it would of taken me heaps longer and there was a sign Remisch and my immediate thought was shit im here already. It was a beautiful sunny day so great for riding along some of the roads so I got off the expressway that I had been on so the riding was a little more interesting than just flying along at 130 kmh.
After stopping for a little while and sititng by the river and having a perve on some gorgeous blonde I headed straight into Luxemberg city and had lunch. Its a pretty smasllish city but nice enough i thought about looking for somewhere to stay but Basogne is isnt that far away so got back on the bike and headed on over there.

Started along the expressway but got straight off it at a random turn off and jsut used the Gps as a compass and made sure that I was heading north westish in the general direction of where I was supposed to be going. Theres lots of little country roads its quite funny riding aroudn through all these fields not knowing where the hell your going where you are, not that it really matters but I had a smile from ear to ear riding along crusing in some beautiful scenary listening to music on a beautiful sunny day another tough day at the office.

Arrived in Bastogne, its a small town the main centre is a pretty little square surrounded by restaurants and shops so hung out there while I thought about where I was going to stay. A few of the hotels on the square were a little expensive so thought if I go a few blocks away from there it will save me a few bucks and that was the case I only had to go 100 metres up the road and it halved my bill to about 40 euro with breakfast included. Itys really good here it doesent ge tdark to so late as you go further north so after unpacking and settling in went back and got on the bike and headed out to some of the battle sites from the second world war where the battle of the buldge took place.
Theres actually a really big memorial out there as with anything American i guess but its still quite nice.

Hung around there for awhile and thougth id ride around and see what else was to see and found the Peaceful forest where the original stand took place which you see on the movies ove that, the stand the Americans made when they were getting hammered and the commander told the Germans when offered surrender "Nuts" the famous line. It was pretty cool certainly had a nice feel to it all the little memorials in the forest of the soldiers of the 101st airborne along with the others that gave their lives there

Had a walk around for awhile its funny when you hang around all these spots that so many big battles have occurred over so many years in different eras it makes me feel geez we can be stupid creatures doing this shit to our fellow man, but we keep doing it dont we all over the the world. Oh well shit happens you got to cull the population somehow dont you, might as well have a war.

Went back on sunset so pretty late and had dinner in the local square which was really nice then just headed over to the hotel and hit the fart sack.

Im just going to head west tomorrow im not sure where im going but ive decided that im going to go to London for the Olympics so will head that way. Everything is so close around here it makes for easy riding to get anywhere.

Luxemberg German Border

The beach in Luxemberg

And looking the other way

I was thinking of having a drink maybe this was a sign mmmm beer

Then into Belguim

The memorial for the battle of the bulge in Bastogne Belguim

View out to where the 6th Panzer Division came from.

Museum dedicated to the men of the 101 airborne.

As battle sites go this one had a good feel to it, the peaceful forest where the men of the 101st airborne made their stand.

Bastogne town square today

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 08-04-2012 at 05:37 PM
Old 08-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #533
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Woke up pretty early the weather is sunny again so will be another nice day of riding towards France and the coast so off I went aroudn 9am.

II was riding along and saw a nice picture that I wanted to take so stopped and pulled over and parked my bike and dropped it off the side stand, shit a brick thats the first time its been on its side since shit where was it ummm I was by myself so im guessing it was Tanzania quite awhile ago. Fortunately the bike has only ever been on its side a few times early in the peice I think anyone thats ever travelled like this with all the kit on once she gets on her side theres no putting a leg down shes going over. Had to take the ventura bag and the tank bag off to get her up but thats no biggie they go back on easily so was up and away again and other than feelign like a dickhead there was no damage.

I was on the expressway as thats the easiest way to find your way out of town but was riding along and saw a sign to the Somme and though id go for a ride aroudn the Ardennes awhere all the big figting of the First World War took place. Tell you there is osme fantastic riding to be done aroudn here was really nice and there were alot of other bikes aroudn which made working out which way to go easy I just sit at the turn off and whatever way they went I followed.

Stopped at this nice little cafe and had a quick chat to a few dutch guys who were riding around for a few weeks so they pointed me in the right direction for some good riding so on the bike i got and took off.
Was riding aroudn trying to stay on path with the gps as a compass but i was winding around so much it was impossible cause one minute I was heading north the next headign south so i was basicvally jsut riding to nowhere again but enjoying it.

Came to a town and slowed down there was a group of motorcycles just in front of me so i thougth ok thats the way im going and away I went but they stopped athe first petrol station so though oh well heres another group ill follow them.

Followed them for about 45 minutes and came into a really nice town full of bikers so obviously I was on the right track for good riding but maybe not so good on where I was trying to get. I stopped and had a drink with them it turned out it was the same guys I had chatted to back in the other little village so all roads seem to loop around and end up here. I had been riding the totally opposite way to where i was trying to go to get but oh well it had been a fantastic mornings riding and met some really nice guys.

After havinga drink with them for about 30 minutes we got back on the bikes they were heading off for a another one of the roads but woudl tell me the turn off to head where i was going to get back on the expressway to kill some distance.

We rode for about 15 minutes then theres my turn off we stopped said out goodbyes and away I went. Funnily 20 k's later im back in Basogne ahahahah ive ridden for about 4 hours and im back to where i started oh well this time ill stay on the expressway. It was a fantastic mornigns riding I really enjoyed that and its still only just 1 pm so got shitloads of time to get somewhere anywhere i thought. Ok took me about 30 minutes to get back to where I turned off before then im riding along and thought oh got to drop in on Waterloo friggin hell battle sites aroudn here there certainly everywhere.

They are all just pretty fields these days so not much to see surely they could stick a battle on for my amusment, be cool to wind back thew clock and sit on one of these hills and watch all the action no wonder the old dudes like Napolean liked it so much sittign up there on his trusty white stead watchign all his minions getting the shit blown out of them like it was just a tv show you cn imagine it would of been quite spectacular viewing with all the colours the reds of the pommies and the Blue of the frogs going hammer and tongs at each other.

Anyway was jsut fanging back along the highway and blew into France then was only a few k's down the road and I was in Dunkerque so thougt ok ill be in Calais to catch the ferry in no time. I had looked on google maps and saw there was a ferry from there so thats where I origianlly thought id head but as i rode into Dunkerque theres a sign for a car ferry so ok ill just duck down there and suss out where that goes.

I went up to the guys at the gate and asked if any of them coudl speak English and one of them said yeah the big boss pointing to one of the young blokes so we all had a good laugh, they obvioulsy coudl all understand english cause when i said oh your the intelligent one in this mob are you, they all laughed.

He printed me out a map and the ferry was only a few k's away so off I went and found it no problems. Ok tried to book a ticket they are fairly expensive if you want to take one within the next two ferrys so for a minute i contemplated stayign the night and gettign the 40 euro ferry in the mornign or payin g the 100 euro and being in England in a few hours so I thought stuff it blow this joint im goign to England.

So booked my ticket rode over to the ferry did the passport stamp the pommy guy gave me 6 months so that was cool, im guessing thats standard, from there jsut had to wait about 30 minutes in the car par having a chat to some nice people rode onto the ferry and away I went to sunny ol England.

Met a few nice guys on bikes on the ferry its already nice to be able to jsut walk up to someone and have a chat with out having to say, do you speak english. Simon and Derek were from the south they invited me to come down there and stay but i was pretty rooted it was now about 9pm so had been on or near the bike pretty much for 12 or 13 hours so that was enough. The othger younger guy who was heading into London, was a nice relaxing time to spend a few hours with the guys sharing some stories.

The ferry ride is only a few hours and got off and was tryign to get into Dover town but took a wrong turn and headed up the hill towards the highway and London. Fortunatly there was another round about up the hill so pulled over and asked them but no vacancies but they gave me directiosn back into town to get a b&b for the night. Headed back down the hill and rode straigh on through Dover it isnt that big a town on the waterfront so beofre I knew it was on another expressway heading south. I was obvioulsy gettign tired so did a uturn and headed back into town.

Found a nice little B&b wasnt goign to hard to look it was the first one I saw 48 pounds a night so pretty expensive I think thats close enough to 70 bucks aussie and us a night but thats ok im to stuffed to be arguing it had a gate where i could park the bike, a garage where I could put the camping gear in it so i didnt have to take it all the way up to my room so all good.

What a fantastic days riding met some great people all the way along it was like fitting a few days into one today, amazing stuff loved it.

Just a random Caslte.

Pretty field just outside Bastogne, and this is where the battle of the Buldge took place I guess if your going to fight you might as well make it in a nice area, but the silly buggers had in in winter.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 08-03-2012 at 01:07 PM
Old 08-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #534
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Got up to sunny ol England raining, what rain, its jsut how I pictured the joint so it didnt let me down shitty overcast raining perfect English weather.

Packed the bike up and got on the road to London I didnt know where I was going just London somewhere its only an hour and a half away so ill have about 14 hours of sunlight to find somewhere to sleep tonight after I arrive.
The road in I just stayed on the M2 and folled it all the way into London and arrived on the outskirts and stopped to get some money out of the bank. While I was in the car park a guy and his girl came up for a chat so i asked them whats a good area to find somewhere to stay and they pointed me in the direction of Vicotira which is in Westminster rand very central so they told me.

Rode in there didnt have to much trouble finding it theres so many of those black cabs and the traffic is always stopped at lights so every time I woudl just ask one fo them which way and they pointed me in the right direction. Ariived and thought ok heres a hotel went in and they wanted 100 pounds a night I sort of jsut chukckled and said nah not for me thanks I need somethign a little cheaper I guess with the Olympics are on they are hittign everyone up a little more.

The chick was really friendly though and pointed me in the right direction and told me there is heaps of b&b's down the road so off I went. Found the area and there was heaps of them so [pulled up at the first on went in and 48 pounds a night 60 bucks 10 minutes from Buckingham Palace 10 minutes from Big Ben, Hyde Park up the road and a Mcdonalds around the corner the clincher lol

Got checked in it was still only just after lunch so unpacked everything off the bike and went for a 4 hour ride aroudn London checking out all the sites. Its a classic the traffic is slow so that suits me down to the ground stopping in front of Big Ben Crossing the London and Tower Bridges numerous times, St Pauls Cathederal, Trafalgar Square as well as all the old amazing buildings there is just so much here to see. I really feel comfortable in London even the cops that pulled up beside me and had a go at me for riding around in board shorts and thongs just laughed at him and took off. Leathers wouldnt help you to much here your more likely goign to get crushed between two cars than fall off. I never got the bike out of 4th gear so slow old riding in down town London.

I took me me ages to find my way back to where I was staying, a bloody classic, I didnt know the name of the hotel but I knew it was near Victoria station. The opening of the Olympics tonight so it wasnt as easy to find my way back as usual as the directions people were giving me were uselss cause of the road closures but eventually i got back and relaxed. What another fantastic day, im just loving riding my bike.

The ferry Dunkerque to Dover

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 08-03-2012 at 01:09 PM
Old 08-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #535
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Ive been in London for a week now really enjoyed every moment of it, walking around going for rides out to the Olympic Park and generally just enjoying being in a great city and with the Olympics on there is so much stuff going on. Met a nice couple the other night, a couple of teachers from Adelaide. They were walking around town in their Aussie shirts so wasnt hard to pick them out to say hello. They are travelling and like me sort of dictacted by good sporting events. They had come here for Wimbeldon then off to Spain for the running of the bulls etc

London just has so much to see, you could certainly spend some time here and theres every likelyhood ill be back here at some stage to spend some more time seeing all the sites. Ive really enjoyed my time here.

I leave in the morning to head north for some reason ive always had a soft spot for Peterborough football club in the lower leagues of the English game so im going to ride up there and have a look around. Nottingham is only about 30 miles from there and Tina's neck of the woods, im not sure if ill catch up with her or if shes even around since ive blocked her on facebook ive got no idea where she is she probably wouldnt want to see me anyway after deleting her ahahahah Funnily I still think of her alot and miss her if I blogged every time I thought of her, her name would come up a thousand times in the last month or how ever long its been since I last saw her.

I meet Jared in Edinburgh for the Scotland Australia football match on the 15th of August so leaving now as much as id love to stay for the rest of the Olympics will give me some time to buzz around up there before meeting up with Jazza.

Ive decided im going to head back over to the Czech Rep for the Brno Motogp through the Swiss Alps and ther Dolomites after the football match so ill have 9 days to ride back over there, it should give me plenty of time to get there, its only actually a few days ride to the Czech Rep.

From there the plan is to head north into Poland Lithuania Lativa, Estonia and up into and around the block in Scandinavia and back down to Holland, Belguim and then France. From there im not sure where to go, I might just keep going south through the Pyranees while I can, it will depend on the weather it should be getting cooler by then so that will dictate where I head. I really want to ride through the Swiss Alps some more the riding over there is just so amazing im really looking forward to getting back there already.

So my time in London is nearly done for now what an amazing time to be here in London with the Olympics on, everyone seems to think oh im getting out of here while the Olympics are on, well the same thing happened in Sydney, it was an amazing time to be around, everyone is just in such a fantastic mood.

I'll actually miss it here which is strange after just one week but we will see what adventures await me to the north of the Uk.

I was going over my trip the other day ive been to 27 countries and countless cities since I left home in January 2011 now thats not to bad but lots of continues and cities to go, its been an absolutley amazing time. I say ill go home when I get bored, well shit what is boredom if im bored at home id probably go for a ride on my bike, so who knows how long ill be going for.

Really like London almost feel at home here, bloody pommies lol

I wonder what time it is, oh theres a little clock

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 08-03-2012 at 12:25 PM
Old 08-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #536
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Found a nice little B&B to relax I wonder if it will cost less than 40 pounds a night

The numbers of well dressed staff means its not going to be cheap.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #537
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

The hotel was booked out for the weeked so got moving today and heading north. I left London around 10:30, wasnt in to much of a hurry I wasnt real sure where I was going but Peterborough looks like the go, might try and catch Mila this Russky I know that lives there plus ive always had a soft spot for Peterborough in the English football league, strange I know why them, I dont know they just have been.

Took a little while to get out of town rode past Lords people all over the place going to watch the Olympic archery competition that is on there. I was thinking of going off the motorway but thought stuff it from what ive seen so far every friggin building looks the same in the suburbs terrace after terrace they obvioulsy didnt have many architects running around after the war, thats alI I can say.

So away I went on the the M4, 1 im not sure what ever it is I was heading north so all good. Arrived in Peterborough afew hours later it was pissing down ive been fairly lucky with thwe rain so just put my wet weather gear on and it was all good. Went for a quick ride into town and had a look at Peterboroughs home ground and then had a ride around checking the joint out. It really is a nice sort of smallish town actually I liked just walking around the mall and checking the town out.

Couldnt be to stuffed looking ot hard for a hotel and I saw the Park Inn as I rode in and it looked pretty nice so thought id go and check out what the damage was going to be. Ok cool only about 85 bucks aussie for a swanky joint like this is ok. Now I was just uppacking the bike and holy moses in walks a few chicks in high heels looking gorgeous then a another crew walk in ahahaha I think theres a hookers convention on all shirt tiny skirts big silicon tits and high high heels classic my luck is just so bad hey ahahahahah

Oh well as I posted in facebook i thought ill just sit here at the bar and see how the night undresses ooops I mean unfolds ahahah Funny just as I was about to go down to the bar Jared sends me a message saying Tina has just said to say hi, that was random and not the best timing making me think of her just as I was about to go and get jiggy with it in the bar.

Oh well had a chat to a few of the people hanging around at the bar but all just friendly banter the chicks were all a little old for me ahahahahahah Another time another blog lmao
Old 08-06-2012, 03:20 AM   #538
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Got up theres not to much happening in Peterborough, Mila was going to London for the olympics dammit I knew I should of emailed her beofre last night, oh well shit happens I thought about hanging aroudn till she got home tomorrow but stuff it im outta here or then again was I the cleaning lady was a Polish chick and she was bloody gorgeous so had a good chat to her and then packed the bike and left.

Misplaced my Gps I friggin hate when I do shit like this, so totally unpacked the bike again this is one of those things that happens pretty regularily and of course it turns up in ther last bag I look in.
It was flogging down rain again which is nice I love riding in the rain though I must admit you do have to be a lot more careful and thats ok its probably good for me to slow down and take it easy a bit, I probably should ride like that always, but yeah whatever mummys boy.

Thought id ride up to Nottingham and check out where Robin Hood used to hang out and it was only a few hours away so it wasnt going to be to big a day or so I thought.

Arrived at Sherwood Forest and had a walk around the walk to the old oak tree was 40 minute walk and I had my bike parked with all my gear all over it in a car park that had signs everywhere saying lock it or lose it so wasnt to keen to leave me bike alone for to long and with all my gear on i dogged it and bought a drink and relaxed in the main part of the park instead.

Went back and jumped on the bike and hiot the road again, Mansfield was just around the corner, Tinas home town, thought id brush up on my stalking, its been a while ahahaha I had heard alot about Mansfield when I was with her so I cant really go past without checking the joint out can I. Shes not there anyway the message she left with Jared last night was that she was leaving on Sunday so its safe to go into town ahahah

Got into town its not bad I didnt like it as much as Peterborough but Peterborough is quieter so much more my cup of tea, plus all the hooker looking chicks running around sort of helped with my liking it more lol
Saw the local Mansfield stadium with a few people hanging around so thought id go straight over and suss out what game was on, unfortunatly it was half time in the local derby between Mansfield and Rotherham so that was a bummer oh well im sure ill catch a few games at some stage and hopefully ill be back in Peterborough and catch a game with Rob who I met last night and invited me to a game.

Got back on the road it did cross my mind to stop there for the night but it was only only 3 pm or something like that so thought thats a little early to be stopping after only about 3 hours and about 80 miles so hot the highway again and headed north. Wasnt sure exactly where I was goign to get but rode and the green fields just go on and on and on and on.

Thought about stopping at Sheffield then Leeds then I was getting a little tired so just pulled into a few hotels on the highway which were all fully booked so after trying three I thought stuff it im just going to ride into Edinburgh so in the end I rode 304 miles or around 500 k's plus all the running around so didnt get into a hotel in Edinbrugh till 9 pm.
It was a good day im just loving just riding the bike its been brilliant. Usually a 9 hour day and 500 k's on a bike would be pretty exhausting so im getting ride fit ahahah thats a stupid thing to say after riding a motorbike from South Africa to Edinbrugh isnt it ahahahaha In saying that I have been racking up a lot more K's in Europe then I did in Africa without a break.

Booked into the Premier Inn friggin expensive but couldnt be bothered looking for another one they have the military tattoo on at the moment so they are cashing in on it. I thought about going to that as there was a show on at 10 but thought stuff it maybe when I come back ill go with Jared we will be here for a few days when the Aussies play Scotland in a few weeks. Theres no show on Sundays and the hotel is fully booked so that gives me a good excuse to blow this town and head north towards John O'Groats the most northerly point in the UK. Great days riding again.

Where the hell is this Robin Hood I looked everywhere for the prick and he's still hiding

Scotland here I am

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 08-08-2012 at 04:11 PM
Old 08-06-2012, 03:21 AM   #539
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Left at the check out time right on 12 I love these later checkout times the 10 oclocks are a pain in the ass in comparison and with the sun staying up till well into the night it still gives you ages to get anywhere you want.
Rode around Edinbrugh for awhile checking out the HMS Yacht Brittania and some of the old chapels and the back streets of Edinbrugh which was cool. I wasnt in any hurry I wanted to check a few spots out as i wasnt going to ride to far maybe up to Aberdeen so was taking my time and plus it was wet which always slows you down. The suspension bridge out of Edinbrugh is actually quite massive was sort of unexpected if you ride over it you will know what I mean its bloody huge and so high if you wanted to end it all jumping off here you would be a certainty to be done and dusted.

Was going to hit the coast road and pulled off the expressway and I was supposed to be heading north and as soon as I get off theres three turn off one back onto the expressway and north one to follow the coast west and one to follow the coast east ahahah both ways im not supposed to be going so fook it im back on the expressway and hitting the road up too Dundee.

Get to Dundee and its not that and blew straight on past and up towards Aberdeen. Im guessing this low foggy mist is pretty normal up this part of the world but its something you might see in alot of places near the coast but not at 2:30 in the afternoon. Arrived in Aberdeen they should call this place Greytown its quite amazing, ok the sky was grey too but every building in the main street is just a dull grey. Ive been to a alot of towns but the lack of colour in this joint stands out like dogs balls, was quite weird but nice in the same breath alot of old cathederals and the like sort of set the time, im guessing if you suffer from depression Aberdeen isnt really the place for you ahahah Rode aroudn and found a nice little restaurant and had lunch.

Cant remember exactly what time it was but it would of been about 5ish and thought about going to find a hotel but with so kuch daylight left I decided to hit the road over to Inverness its only 116 miles 185 k's away so a few hours and that will only leave me a few hours ride up to John O'Groats.

Got back on the road its pretty boring riding up here but with the rain pissing down and the fog and mist so heavy made for a bit more of a fun ride. There was a few more motorbikes on the road up here so they have either been up to John O'Groats or there are some good riding roads around here somewhere, from what I can see the roundabouts they have every few k's is about the highlight of the highway im on.

The funny thing is the traffic is pretty heavy it seems to get banked up behind one car and then 30 cars just patiently wait in line even when there is overtaking lanes, yeah as if thats going to stop me brrm brrm away I go, in and out past a few at a time I was thinking to myself as I flew past the last 10 cars and and a truck coming up to a crest how many of them must be going have a look at this dickhead ahahahah hey hate to let them down ahahahaha so off I fly down the open road again. fook em ahahahah as if im going to sit patiently in line waiting for these old foggies, it was an overtaking zone in the washup.

The rain was flogging down by this time so that slowed me up a tad but no dramas it didnt last long and as I closed in on Inverness I saw the battle site Colloden so pulled off the highway and went and had a look around. Was good timing as i walked around the battlefield I got talkign to an older dude who had worked there for 20 years when he was younger so he was able to fill me in on all the interestign facts on the battle there between Cumberland on the English side and the Jackobites who took a hammering there.

Spent about an hour there then jsut rode into Inverness town and came across a hotel so jsut pulled in a booked a room. The accomadation isnt cheap here its 55 pounds for a room with a full breakfeast so thats about 85 bucks not real cheap if you were budget travelling, im sure theirs campsites around here but in this weather im not im even thinking of getting the tent out and as im typing this i watching the news of all the flash flooding going on up in this neck of the woods, fortunalty I must of missed it where I was cause even though it was pissing down it didnt seem to bad but im no expert in this region maybe their drainage systems are 300 years old and crap.

Anyway chilling out watching the olympics Usain Bolt has just won the 100 metres looked pretty impressive doing it too and now just going to relax have a look though google maps and see what the deal is up north from here. I was told the north western region is really good riding so I might hit John O'groats then head west and back down from there, I dont have to be back in Edinbrugh till the 15 th of August for the soccer so got a bit of time up my sleeve but want to spend some time in Glasgow before heading back over there.

Im not sure on what the deal is with accomadation up at John O'Groats but being a land mark spot im sure theres something and if there isnt ill just camp or keep riding to somewhere else.
Another really good day lots of different weather sun, rain, mist, fog, lots of different things to see and wasnt to cold about 13 or 14 degree celcius so pretty good, anyway see what tomorrow brings, great day. Ciao

The good ship Lollipop ok the Hms Yacht Brittania

And just one of the other types of boats that use this harbour

Backstreets of Edinbrugh

Got to love fog and mist at 2:30 in the afternoon.

And then it came down

Im guessing Edward VII was from Aberdeen

Aberdeen, they should call this place Greytown.

Culloden Battlefield

Inverness

Overlooking Inverness

Inverness city centre with three of my favourite things in view, my bike, a female and Maccas lol

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 08-08-2012 at 06:38 PM
Old 08-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #540
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Got up today and left Inverness not sure where i was going to but for a start was going to ride around Loch Ness, I was going to head up to John O'Groats as well but in the end i spent the whole day riding around the Loch Ness and all the little villages that surround it. Spent 6 hours riding to nowhere and within a 50 k radius of Inverness, certainly is a beauitiful part of the world and good riding too even if little busy pffft thats what the other side of the road is for isnt it, get out of the way. In the end just came back to the motel I was at last night and will head off again tomorrow.

Id like to stay at this mansion on the Loch Ness

But found something a little in my budget

A nice lake by the Loch but still no sign of Nessy

Urqhart Castle on the edge of the Loch Ness

The Loch Ness, asked a lady how long do I have to sit here till I see Nessy and she said about 3/4 of a bottle of scotch should do it.

Inverness Castle

A local busker

Commando Memorial near Fort William

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 08-08-2012 at 05:10 PM