Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 01:03 PM   #616
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 2,167
If yesterdays ride was tough todays was massively tough if only 340 k's. We left the hotel at around 11 and hit the road a little rain around which soon cleared, for about 15 minutes then down it came, shit a brick. I was just starting to think oh this is a nice change about 5 degrees I was expecting alot worse and trust me I wasnt to be dissapointed.
It was now zero degrees raining heavily and we hadnt even reached Innsbruk yet.

I wasnt in the mood to stop I was thinking of tomorrow as much as anything, Ev has to be back at work and any riding we dont do today just has to be made up tomorrow which if as planned we get to Munich we will still have 370 k's to Prague and to add to that the weather is supposed to be getting colder, shes already been looking at pictures of her friends in Prague on facebook of them playing in the snow.

We got to the highway and arived at the turn off either to take the motorway or the mountain pass road and was decision time and this time I made the totally wrong call. I was thinking Ev hasnt complained yet and although its cold, we are wet, its only 180 to Munich through Garmisch and the German Alps and it will be a much more scenic ride, so how hard can it be to take the pass through to Munich right.

Well as we climbed up away from the highway I was having second thoughts the rain was flogging down the traffic was slow and then to top it off it started snowing and the traffic came to a crawl in sections, so here we are on a mountain pass in traffic doing 10 kilometres an hour, freezing our tits off, at this rate it will take us 10 hours to get to Munich and theres no way that we can stay out in these conditions for that long.

It was snowing so hard I was having to ride one handed using my left hand as a wiper to clear my visor every few seconds so gives you some idea how bad the visibilty was let alone how slippery the road must of been im sure, I didnt like to think about that part of it just didnt accelerate hard, no sudden braking, always on the back brake and kept the bike as upright as possible.

At one point we came to a tunnel and the temperature got up to 11 degrees so I thougt that would be an appropriate time to stop and try and get some feeling back in my fingers, im really going to have to do something about the glove situation when and if im going to ride in wet cold conditions in future.

We eventually got out through Garmisch it was snowing heavily I thought about stopping but thought fuck it if I stop now ill never start again, I was so close I actually went to pull into a cafe service station and pulled out at the last minute, it would be a waste of time to stop it would take us an hour and new clothes to get warm anyway so onwards and upwards to Munich it was. I was thinking how when I was in Garmich before how id like to come back here when it was snowing in the winter, well ive changed my mind they can shove this place up there ass when its snowing I want to go to Thailand instead.

We evetually got to the motorway which was some relief but the speeds some of the cars were doing in these condtions made it another challenge to deal with visibilty was crap I was still having to ride one handed wiping the snow from my visor, puddles on the road, I was backing with this being a motorway they wouldnt be patches of ice instead of water but with weather like this you just never know. I remember looking at a sign Munich 75 k's away, yeah great this will be hard, absolutely freezing. I was actually starting to get worried about Ev she hadnt said a word or complained but im sure she must be sitting there wet cold tired and freezing her tits off to the absolute max.

We arrived in Munich it was 2 degrees got to love these hot sultry days I said to Ev. I couldnt even feel my feet they were that cold so when I had to put my feet down to stop at lights it was whoa weird dude. Changing gears was by sound couldnt even feel the gear lever on the bike. I put the hotel where I knew in the Gps and you guess it it was on the far side of town, we have alot of riding tomorrow and the Ibis hotel I know and have stayed at before is on the expressway we will be using to get to Prague so any distance we covered today was distance off tomorrow.

Got to the hotel in Garching we both walked in and hit the reception, it was a releif to hear they had vacanciers let me tell you, I said to the guy at the desk, just take my passport give me a key to a room and we will come back down and fix everything up later. While we are standing there the weather comes on the tv and says its minus 9 in Garmisch, that explains while we were so friggin cold.

Anyway 5 minutes later we are in a room im out of my gear into a hot shower and Ev tries to come in. Fuck off baby this is my world, of course thats not what happened she came in and immediatley she got severe pins and needless in her feet, I had to support her she was in so much pain and could hardly stand up, seriously that was soooooome tough day in the office. Ev was really struggling, man this chick is a champion not one word of complaint I guess she experiencing a motorcycle adventure first hand and what its like, the good times, the tough times and the extreme weather conditions you have to deal with at times. She was really struggling with the loss of feeling in her feet i just held her in my arms and eventually she came good but she was a little disressed and understandably so it was very very tough out there.

I still think back to Sudan and well there I was sitting under my bike trying to get some respite from the sun thinking I was going to pass out and die in nearly 50 degree celcius only to climb back on the bike a few minutes later and ride another hour before I found shelter from the sun in the first building that I came across. Now that was the other extreme, shit that was one hot day and boy I really did think I was going to die that day, so just feeling cold today was ok as tough as it was.

After we warmed up and had a rest for awhile we went down and had a nice dinner, im feeling like crapola worse now, but only a day to go to get Ev back to Prague, ill just harden the fuck up ive felt worse in my life, I guess when you get hit by a semi trailer doing a 100k an hour you feel as sore as your going too, so a little runny nose and gloggged up head is nothing, ill be better in a few days.

Im actually sitting here blogging now in the middle of the night, I fell asleep and woke up. Evs out like a light but the snow has been coming down hard and the road outside is covered im not liking the look of this im starting to think I might have to put Ev on a bus home tomorrow, we will have to make that call early as she will have to book one, bugger i would hate to think I couldnt get her home but ive been asking myself would I put my son Logan on the back of the bike and ride in these conditions and the answer so far is no, ill leave that decision as long as we can and hopefully it stops snowing in the night.
All in all a absolutely great day, hard hard hard but a true motorcycle adventure ride in the last few days, its been brilliant, just love it and to share it with Ev who is such a beautiful chick its been an amazing part of my adventure so far.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 10-31-2012 at 07:06 PM
rideforsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #617
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Well we woke up to the site of the road out the front of the hotel blanketed in snow ok this isnt ideal motorcycle conditions look im sure the expressway might be ok with the amout of traffic it gets but thats nit a chance im prepared to take with Ev so we got online and booked her a bus for this afternoon. She has a friend here in Munich and has caught the bus before so she knows here way around which makes it somewhat less daunting for her.

Im glad we got to where we did if we had been south of Munich it would of ben a real nighmare to get her home but now all she has to jump on the train out the back of the hotel and it takes her straight to the bus station in town and then she jumps on that and it takes her to home.

Im actually really crook today so not hacving to ride in -2 isnt going to do me any harm either. I booked a hotel in Prague last night unfortunly its going to cost me about 40 bucks to cancel it but thats just part of it im not prepared to play Russian roulette with Ev.

So we just hung around for the day in the hotel room we both realise this might be the last time we see each other for awhile we have been looking at flights for me to go to Thailand and back to Australia for Christmas to see Logan and till then im going to head south to somewhere warmer anway. I did say I was going to leave Prague when it got to zero degrees at night and im sure its well and truely past that there now.

What an amazing time ive had with Ev shes certainly one beautiful intelligent sexy woman and any bloke will be lucky to have her as a partner when that time comes for her. It certainly has crossed my mind to just kidnap her and take her with me but she has a contract with her work and has to give atleast 2 months notice if she does want to leave and she is the type that wouldnt leave her work collegeus in a bind so for now my adventure continues alone and the future is unwritten and open to all possiblilties, it really is a great sense of freedom to have and there still isnt a day go by that i dont thank my lucky stars to be on a unlimited time frame motorcycle adventure around the world.

Saw Ev off at the train station this afternoon it was nice we were still joking laughing no tears she might of just felt releif she had actually survived a month with me and the last few weeks on the bike, who knows. There were a lot of people going to the football match Bayern Munich playing Leverkusen I would of gone if I didnt feel like absolute shit and it was just still so cold, and anyway Man United are playing Chelsea this afternoon ill stream it off the web those games are always fun.

So its was goodbye to Ev and hello to my hotel room and to think about the next adventure and where I am goign to go, im going to take a few days off and do sweet fa and get myself well then head off somewhere. i will miss Ev theres no doubt about it.

A tad briskish you would think id have a jumper and shoes on wouldnt you. By lunch time alot of the snow had melted off the road and it might of been ok to ride but by that time Ev was already booked on the bus so the decision had been made to end our time together for now.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 10-29-2012 at 05:12 PM
Old 11-07-2012, 06:27 AM   #618
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Well basically didnt move from my room for the first few days after Ev left i was feeling crook as a dog but nothing a good rest wouldnt and didnt cure. I hadnt eaten for 2 days which is generally a good sign im crook and after the ride ive just had a few days doing absolutely nothing.

Eventually ventured out of my pretty expensive room, decided I was going to stay here in Munich and get the chain and sprockets for my bike which Bmw couldnt get so have ordered them in from Polo.de online which is good saved me a bucket load of cash too which is always an added bonus, just meant I had to wait around in Munich for them to arrive.

Moved into Littys hotel right in the centre of Munich in the Turkish quarter its really nice here some of the reviews i read were people that didnt feel safe, well all I can say to that is they really need to get out more the people around here are really friendly as they are in Turkey and I havent had any trouble at all, in fact quite the opposite.

George the guy at the desk is a cool dude have been having a good chat to him he is a drummer in a local band, I wish I had stayed a little longer to go out and see a few gigs with him, maybe next time im in Munich ill catch up with him and do that.

Didnt do to much a few walks around town a few rides so taking in some of the sights of Munich pretty much fuck all here, I asked George about the old town which isnt really that old and he said, you have to ask the Americans about that ahahahah to funny had a great sense of humour. At one stage I left my computer behind the desk when I went out for a walk he said ill be selling it to someone in Poland, I just came back with thats cool ill get my girlfriend to pick it up for me shes Polish.

Had a a few quiet nights out for dinner pretty much keeping to myself still felt a little crappy even though im well and truely over the worst of it but had a few beers out one night with Alex a English Dr scientist over here researching some work and houses for him and his girlfriend. Had a few good chats with him over the last few days its always nice to meet good people wherever you are in the world.

I had made a decision to head south towards the Greek island but at the last minute ive decided to go back and see my little Ev back in Prague, am I ever going to get to leave that place, Im going to have to head south soon or I will be stuck up here for the winter the weather is really starting to get cold now.

Left on the Friday after arriving in Munich last Saturday so a few extra days at the Ibis and then 3 days in the Litty hotel and im away, ill arrive home for when Ev gets home from work for the weekend so that will give us some time to be together and then ill make another decision on when and where ill be off too.

Picked up my chain and sprocket I ordered, they weren't able to get me the rear sprocket, that sort of sucks now I have to hunt one of them down hopefully it wont be any drama but if Bmw in Germany havent got any in stock im guessing I might have to order it again online and have it sent out but time will tell.

The ride back wasn't to bad just did the expressway all the way, its bloody freezing well not to bad around 3 or 4 but with the wind chill factor thrown in my hands were bloody like blocks of ice, im really going to have to get some better gloves and stop talking about it.

Arrived 10 minutes before Ev got home from work so didnt have to wait long out the front, was pretty much frozen to the core but that was soon remedied when Ev turned up as she made me a nice cup of coco and I sat in front of the heater ahahahah yeah as if im going to drink coco and sit in front of a heater when ive got a pretty little 28 year old standing in front of me ahahahah needless to say I wasnt cold for to long, well 2 minutes after walking in the door I was very comfortable with a big smile on my dial.

Was so nice to be back with her even if it is going to make leaving her even harder the next time. I had a perfect chance to get out while i was ahead but being back with her is going to make it really hard to leave. Her flatmate is away for the week so we are just going to chill out at her place so gives me a chance to save some money too after some of the hotels we have been staying in blowing money.

So our little side trip ended with me arriving back in Prague, it was an amazing experience as all rides are but that certainly had alot in such a short time Brussels London Paris Luzern and freezing our asses off in the Swiss Alps and German Alps being sick, being seperated, being reunited, some great people along the way all in all a great few weeks it certainly hasnt be boring and I got to share it with one truely amazing woman, thats it im going to go spoil her again ill be back in a minute ahahah

George your father and grandfather would of been pointing a flame thrower at me and all you got is a vacuum cleaner, how times change hey lol

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-10-2013 at 10:26 PM
Old 11-07-2012, 06:30 AM   #619
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Well that took more than a minute cause its now Monday well come on give me a break im allowed to brag arent I. We had a pretty quiet Saturday just hanging out its been boody freezing so all we did was chill enjoying each others company which has been nice. Had a walk down into town and cruised around having an optical its still really busy I thought they said this is the down time for Prague, shit a brick its chockers still. I must admit its a beautiful city there is no doubt about it but the tourism in the old town is pretty full on and just doesn't seem to stop.

Sunday morning decided to jump on the train and head to the north Usti Bin Laden oh ok there was no Bin Laden statue there and its actually called Usti Nad Labem no wonder i was getting funny looks when i asked people where it was. Was Radka's home town so had wanted to get here eventually as I had heard about it when she was in Australia

The train ride was nice along the river and then arrived just over and hour from Prague. I remember Radka saying when she was in Australia that the train ride from the Central Coast to Sydney reminded her of home, i can see why now although it is different it is alot the same in a way. Had a walk around town it was cold and wet but still not to bad. Its looks like its a coal mining town or whatever there is quite a few big factories in the centre of town which to me look like mine sites so im guessing as they arent all that big there is tunnels leading to the underground from there.

Walked down and caught the cable car up to the castle on the hill, well its actually a hotel now but pretty impressive all the same. Nice view from up there so had a nice walk around then headed back down to the main square.
Ev had mentioned going to the movies the other day and said they often have the big movies in English with sub titles so we walked on over to the cinema and got a few tickets to see James Bond. Well it was in English but the movie itself was pretty gay probably one of the worst Bond films ive seen maybe I was just to busy playing handsies with Ev to take enough notice.

Left the theatre it was getting on dark now so went and jumped a train back to Prague and headed home. Was a real nice day spent with Ev again been just really nice to be hanging out with such a cool chick we certainly do get on well its a lot of fun. She finally got me on the Metro id been telling her im not getting on that thing thats where all the bad people hang out ill get robbed she would say Ill hold you tight ahahahah funny stuff bloody metro people im lucky I got out of there with my wallet and my life, ok its not that bad of course.

Usti Nad Labem in the north west of the Czech Rep

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-10-2013 at 10:29 PM
Old 11-07-2012, 06:33 AM   #620
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Its now Wednesday and im sitting in Bmw getting the chain and sproket put on my bike fortunalty they had the rear one in stock so that was good. Im getting the rear brake pads done they were low, fucked if I know what kind of pads they use but they dont last very long, ok I had been using the back brakes alot in the wet more than the front but every time I seem to take it past a machanic he is saying you need to repace your rear brake pads. Ill get the fluids checked up to the rear brake fluid is low which is a bit of a suck especially when I just had the bike serviced not that long ago. Im not a 100% sure I didnt think it was that long ago i had the bike serviced but the trip to London etc was 3500 k's we had done rides down to Vienna, Cseke Krumlov and my general just riding around so maybe I have racked up more k's than i think.

My book does say ive done just over 10000 k's sinced I had the bike serviced a month ago but surely that cant be right, fucked it if I know surely they wouldnt of put in a lower kilometre in the service manual, Ive just got no idea anyway I knew the chain and sprocket needed doing the guys at Suzuki a month ago said it needed replacing and I have racked up quite a few k's since then. Im a little worried about the knocking noise that is coming out of the bike when I lube the chain it stops but also when a bearing goes it makes that same sound and these Bmw's have a bad reputation of going through bearings so lets hope when they bring my bike back its not oh the bearing is gone too, in saying that I would expect that kind of thing to be under warranty anyway if it was stuffed.

Had thought about staying with Ev for the winter but the last few days have been friggin freezing all im doing is going outside for an hour or so and going back indoors i really could be down in the Greek islands in 24 degrees celcius enjoying the sights rather than around here freezing my tits seeing Ev off in the morning to work in the dark and seeing her come home in the dark at 4:30. We have shorter days in winter in Australia and it starts getting dark at aroudn 5 but shit this is still 2 months fromt he dead of winter here it must be dark at 3:30 in the afternoon and still dark at 9 oclock in the morning at this rate, thats something that would definatly take some getting used to being an Australian and having such an outdoor lifestyle. I guess theres still no reason not to be outside its just that your freezing your gonads off and in the dark when you are over here.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:36 AM   #621
Open-Explorers
Daniel R.

Oddometer: 30
It was great meeting you at the EICMA Sheldon. I love what you're doing and I'm looking forward to catching up with you in South America some time. (Or whatever place else.) Have subscribed to your thread. Let's stay in touch.
Daniel (2-wheels 1-world 0-money)

Open-Explorers
Open-Explorers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #622
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Ok did sweet fa yesterday so pretty much no point in blogging but the good news of the day was Ev got some more holidays for next week so we are off to Innsbruuk, Florence, Rome and Milan from where she will fly back to be at her mums for the weekend in Poland. We got on earlier tonight and found a flight from Milan to Poznan for 56 aussie bucks so bloody ripper its not going to cost me bucket loads to dump her ahahahah

Its really going to be sad to see her go this time we have had such a great time together but ive got a feeling this might not be the last time I see little Ev. So the bike is all done new tyres, serviced not that long ago, got the boys to check all the fluid levels, new chain and sprockets so hopefully I shouldnt have to spend any more on the baby for awhile.

We are going to leave in the morning and ride to Innsbruuk its about 570 km's so a bit of a ride but we will just fang down the motorway so it will be all good and should be there not to late in the afternoon so we can have some time in the city. Its handy that I have been there before it will allow us to go straight to somewhere I know book in then straight over to the old town and have a geezer.

So tonight got everything packed and ready to go so its not such a mission in the morning. Earlier we went out and bought Ev some better wet weather gear, a pair of new gloves and a balaclava so she should be a lot more comfortable and warmer than she was last time, cant have my little baby freezing to death.

Its nearly 2 am i must be a bit excited about going on holidays with Ev again but have to go to sleep have a pretty big days riding tomorrow well not to bad if we stay on the expressway as im planning too, its still cold here so the sooner I can get to Italy and where it is warmer the better.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #623
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Got up reasonably early and got the bike organised and soon enough we were away oh ok it was 10 before I even pulled my head from under the doona but its the thought that counts. Ev had to go down the shop to get some phone credit to ring her mum so she did that and I finished the bike off and headed down to meet her. I arrived at the shop and sat out the front revving the engine up loudly as she came out of the shop tapping my foot on the ground, come on baby ill never get around the world at this rate i shouted.
We ended up hitting the road my new gloves are great my hands were so warm and Ev was so happy with all her new gear too. Before basically after it got down to 12.5 degrees celcius I started to feel the cold but now today it was 4 degrees and I was only just starting to feel it.
We hit the servo and maccas on the German Czech border and got on booking.com and found the place where I stayed last time in Innsbruck, it was ok pretty close to the centre of town and had breakfast included for a reasonable price. We had just under 400 k's to go not a big deal at all if we stay on the highway so off we went, I wasnt fanging it today was jsut cruising so was alot more relaxing it tends to be a little more stressful when you are doign over a 100 miles an hour you temd to have to hold on a little tighter and concentrate that little bit more.
So here we were cruising along not a care in the world Evs snug as a bug in a rug and im fine to. Arrived in Munich and then head straight on to Innsbruuck. We weren't far out of innsbruuck and the temperature when we got into Germany had risen to 9 degrees but 50 k's from Innsbruuck the temperature all of a sudden went up to 18.5, what the hell, theres snow on the mountain tops and its been cold all day and now its 18.5, weird totally weird. Not that I was complaining or anything made for some very comfortable riding.

Arrived in Innsbruuck and it had been a few months since I was here and it was night time now so sort of got a little lost but as i came up to a set of lights oh yeah theres a Maccas i know, hey who says eating at Maccas is bad for you, as soon as I saw it I knew exactly where I was and where I was going. I wonder how many times in my travels when I go back to places ill go oh ok theres that maccas I know where i am now, everytime probably, gawd love me maccas they'll lead me home lol

Checked in and unpacked the bike then we went for a ride back into the old town to have a look around. The temperature was still warm although it had dropped to about 15 by now but still very nice for a walk. Spent a few hours walking around town and had some dinner and headed back to the hotel to relax it had been a big day but a great day all the same. We will get up in the morning and head to Florence the weather should be warmer down that way so that will be nice.

I tell you what Ev's such a great chick i really like her shes great company, we get on so well we are having an absolute ball together and the more time I spend with her the harder its going to be to let her go but ill deal with that when it happens she keeps chucking in little comments about coming back to Prague for the winter but I keep telling her im not going back to Prague again but ive been wrong before, oh hang on no I havent lol.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-10-2013 at 10:35 PM
Old 11-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #624
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Had a nice evening in Innsbruuk, Ev really like this place she has said she woudl ike to move to Austria to work and she didnt really like Vienna when we were there so its nice to think she may end up in such a nice town as this, she has a contact here that might be able to help her get work as well which would be a bonus anyway thats a decision she will make in the future sometime but for now we are off to Florence.

Got rugged as it was pretty cold even though it was 18.5 degrees celcious last night today was wet and cold. Ended up leaving about 11 and hit the highway. Ev was saying oh she is warm its so comfotable and that turned out to be famous last words. As we climbed up out of Innsbruuk the temperature dropped and as we came aroudn one bend it was snow everywhere and bloody freezing. It was snowing fairly hard and the road was pretty suss so stopped and had a think on whether we shoud continue on and I thought well ill just take it easy and see how we go.

We were only at 1200 metres and this pass went up to 1400 so still a little higher to go yet. We got to the top of the pass ok then the road became very icy so I slowed right down which makes it even more dangerous as the cars seem to be able to go twice as fast. We had just reached the top of the pass and you guessed it the back end started to slide out, ok that was pretty close but managed to ride through it ok but just when I thought it was ok the ass end went again and this time it was coming back. I kept the front wheel straight but the back kept going and going till I was going over. So here we were sliding down the highway on our side, it was a pretty gentle crash, we slid down onto the pannier and as we did I grabbed Ev by the arm and kicked seat of the bike and pushed it away from us so we both slid free of the bike. As much as it was an easy stack when your sliding along the highway with a few hundred kilos of machine near you anything can happen so to be able to jump up run back pick the tank bag up which had come off out of the other lane and move to the side of the road was a bonus. The bike was totally undamaged other than one of the panniers a little bent but nothing I cant fix which again was lucky.

A car load of guys stopped and helped me quickly upright the bike so that was nice of them cause it was bloody freezing and snowing pretty hard. Ev had been videoing up until about 20 seconds before the accident I was disaapointed that she missed it it would of been so cool having my first stack of my adventure on video.

I road the bike back up the wrong side of the road and into a truck car park where the snow was really deep but its obviously we arent going any further on these roads today so we made our way back to the service station up the road to see what we were going to do. The snow was coming down full on now so we just went in had a few cups of coffee and chilled out while we decided what we should do. I was thinking we could just leave the bike there and catch a taxi back into town but when the girl at the counter said it was 35 k's back into Innsbruuk I thought we will just give it a bit more time and see what happens with the road. It was only 12:30 so we had plenty of time to sort out a plan of action as we had decided all we were doing is going back into Innsbruuk for the night.

Waited about an hour and a half then the machines that were clearing the road came into the servo so went over and asked one of the guys if it was safe to take the bike back into Innsbruuk and the repsonse was yeah all good, so on the bike and off we went still taking it very easy as you can imagine. The roads were sort of clear of thick ice and snow but still alot of lying around so just took my time and made sure we didnt have any more troubles.

On the way down still in the snow covered section I had this truck come up behind me sitting right on my ass as you can imagine after being hit from behind by a semi tralier this wasnt the most comfortable time of my ride. I couldnt move over onto the breakdown lane as it was covered in snow, it would almost certainly mean hitting the deck so just took my time, stuff him I thought if he was out of his truck I would of knocked his fucken head off.

I was actually worried about Ev if we came down I knew there was a truck to be cleared she wouldnt of had any idea . Anyway got through that little episode and got out of the snow covered range and only had to deal with the water on the road which was still deep and riding in the inside lane on the highways where the trucks all use they do tend to have little lines of water where the road is depressed by the truck wheels so all pretty interesting still.

Eventually got back into Innsbruuk friggin freezing by the way bloody Ev and her oh its nice and warm comment, pretty funny really.

Fortunatly we were able to get booked back into the hotel we were in so that was good got a room downstairs that had all the pipes running through it so we were able to hang all our wet gear all around to dry it out which certainly helped.

We went for a walk down the road had to have a mac attack after having an accident you know got to reward myself with a big mac for being ok. Came back and relaxed and Ev went for a walk into town whilke I did some work on the bike ahahah ok I went on facebook and had a nap but its the thought that counts.

Tomorrow we will give the pass another go hopefully it will be ok but we wont take any chances this time if it is still as bad as yesterday we might just turn back before we hit the deck this time. So had my first stack on this adventure a pussy one but still the bike hit the deck on the motorway so hopeefully next time its just the same I get up walk away and head to maccas again.

Pulled over thinking about stopping but decided to push on anyway, yeah good decision that lol

Safely back in the closest service station for a coffee

Ev wasnt hurt in the accident but took her up the hospital anyway and told the doctor not to bring her back till she was all good, yep happy days doc.

And then the hide of her posting this on her facebook page in repsonse

Part 2: the true story - Sheldon wasnt hurt in the accident, other than a head injury so I took him up to hospital and told the doctor not to bring back till he's sweet and faithful, the doctor went away and came back two minutes later and I've never been happier :-)

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-10-2013 at 10:44 PM
Old 11-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #625
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Got up and packed all the gear up we left it late as the weather was on the improve asll morning and was expected to be clear in rthe afternoon so we werent in any hurry. We still had quite a way to get to Florence if thats where we were going to get I think it was close enough to another 500 odd k's so didnt want to leave it to late to try the pass again.

We jumped on the bike the rain had stayed away for awhile now so off we went up the pass, The road was still wet and there was still alot of snow around but nothing like yesterday so all good we were up and past where we came down yesterday which was a relief. The road was all good and it wasnt long before we were down uinder a 1000 metres again so good conditions for riding.

We just stuck on the motorway stopping occassionally for coffee and food breaks. Was a really nice ride actually but still took us till on dark to arrive. Met a couple of guys from Ktm on one of the stops on their way to the Eicma motorcycle show in Milan over the next few days and as we plan to be there on Friday to fly Ev home to Poland to see her mum and family it will be great to see.

When I had the bike serviced in Prague they replaced the steering bearing but isnce they have odne it I found the bike to feel unstable when cornering ok its when im doign over 160 k's an hour i was joking with Ev about it and said to her i know wehat the mechanics woudl say if I went in and said the steerign feels a little weird when goign aroudn corners at over a 100 miles an hour fully kitted out with a pillion on the back, slow down you dick head, but seriously though the bike has definalty felt a little weird cornering at speed, I might actually mention it to some one when I stop next time im sure ill get the repsonse I expect but you never know.

We checked into the first hotel we saw as we had nothign booked it was 4 k's from the centre of Florence not that we knew that at the time but no biggie we went for a walk to get something to eat and ended up walking all the way into town.

Florence is a really beautiful city there is no doubt about that and it was a really nice romantic walk around town with Ev. The Doumo cathederal is really quite spectacular and standing on the bridge over the river with Ev was really nice too. If you ever come to thios neck of the woods Florence is definalty a city you should drop in and see.

By the time we walked back to the hotel it was after 10 oclock and basically I was stuffed I could hardly walk my back was shot and totally finished for the day so Ev's best two minutes of her life was not going to happen or was it, maybe after my hour massage your a chance honey and not before.

Saw on the news tonight there has been flooding to the south of here so hopefully that rain has gone by tomorrow when we get down there. Going to sleep well tonight thats for sure its been a long day.

Duomo - Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore Florence Italy

A little stray in the streets of Florence how could I not take her home with me

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 04:20 PM
Old 11-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #626
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Got up this morning and had breakfast, pretty lame excuse for a breakfast I must say but it was something I guess. My back and neck were killing me after yesterdays effort so I knew todays ride was going to be a bit of a shit and it turned out to be just that.

Ended up leaving about 11 there has been some flooding in the middle of Italy so the main highway was blocked how the fuck does that happen here they have been blowing their trumpets about there engineering skills since they pinned the good fella to the cross 2000 years ago and have so called great roads throughout Europe dating back till then but they still cant build a fucken bridge over a river friggin iti's.

Anyway hit the road down through Sienna thinking ok that will be sweet and was riding along thinking this highway is pretty quiet if its the only road open heading south, and lo and behold my fears were proved to be correct. Got to Grotteletto or some shit named town like that and heres the dudes saying no no no the highway closed you have to go back to Sienna and over to Peruggia to go to Rome, oh fooken great mate Perruggia is on the other side of the country oh well Rome is out for now. We pulled over in a truck stop and had a sit down for awhile to mnakes some new plans and decided its north and towards Pisa for us. Its not a bad thing we were only going to have 2 days in Rome anyway so it will give us more time in Milan together.

So in the end rode 350 k's and arrived at around 5 when we could of been in Pisa in an hour from Florence or even stayed another day there and just done a ride over here to see the leaning tower of Pisa which by the way is pretty impressive. Had a walk through town I had done assignments on the the leaning tower of Pisa as a kid so to be there standing in front of it was quite cool

I had a nap this afternoon and Ev went for a walk so im here in the middle of the night blogging and shes dead to the world.We had a nice walk around town this afternoon its a pretty place this Pisa not to big it definatly doesent have a city feel too it its more like a big big village and I dont mind it at all although I had a walk tonight looking for a bar while Ev was asleep and its dead as a dodo there must be some action somewhere around here but I coudlnt find it.
Tomorrow we head into Milan which again will be interesting, Im goign to stay in Milan for awhile Ev leaves in a few days and ill stay on for a little longer which will be nice as much as it will be sad to see Ev leave.

Come I knew I could lose some kilos but this building obviously just had bad foundations.

I was feeling guilty so

Ev trying to fix my problems

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 04:39 PM
Old 11-17-2012, 04:28 PM   #627
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Great days riding today Ev gave me a quick neck massage after breakfast and we hot the road. Went back up to the Leaning Tower of Pisa for one more look and a few more pics it really is pretty nice building I still rememebr doign an assignment on it when i was a grommet so to be standing here was pretty cool and not that it was ever on any bucket list I feel like ive sween something that has always amazed me even as a little fella.

we hit the motorway its 280 k's to Milan so wanted to chew up some distance today beofre my back and neck started to give me grief but after about 60 k's I thought im feeling ok ill get off the motorway and ride some of the back way till I get tired and sore then back on.

As soon as we got of the motorway we were in a small town that had been flooded so we had to take a diversion oh great this will take longer than i thought but oh well this is part of the experience so all good. Eventually got past all the flooding rubbish and onto the main drag along the coast which was pretty non descript nothing at all to write home about.

The road just went straight along the coast through town after town and nothing to exciting flat coast line with nothing to see. Rode along for another 30 minutes and pulled over for a drink and a break and said to Ev ill give it another 20 k's and if its still the same ill hit back onto the motorway. One thing ive started to notice if there is alot cyclists around there usually is some decent riding for motorbikes somewhere near and that proved to be the case and im glad i listened to my instincts.

I went past the turn off I had said to Ev we would get back on to the motorway and kept on going and 15 minutes later we were heading up into the hills. This is more like it alot of fun riding to be had. Ended up riding over the Passo del Bracco which is if your ever in the neighbourhood some fantastic riding. Take the coast road from 180 k's from Milan heading out Pisa and hit the hills wow great fun not many cars and great road surface. I did 75's up and down the hills and along the coast was just brilliant but was starting to feel it so said to Ev I might just get back on the motorway and kill some more distance. The coast road would continue on up and down to Genova so if you rode it all you could be looking at a few hundred k ride if you were doing a return trip to Genova.

Got back on the motorway and that was just as much fuin the corners were tight so when your hammering it and doing 140 to 160 the road is sooo much fun so I was actually enjoying the motorway as much as I was the hills love my speed and this was great fun. got through Genova and then heaqde4d to Milan the good section of motorway lasted for another 30 or 40 k's then it was dead straight to Milan pretty much. Road till I got about 50 k's from Milan then hit off the motorway again and it was so funny was riding through the fields right next to the expressway it was good fun also you know your doing 140 to 160 on the motorway right there but the 120 in a little single lane road in the middle of a field has a special attraction to it theres no doubt.

Ev was enjoying herself I wasnt going mad ahahah ok on the expressway I probably was pushing it a bit hard in the corners but nothing like scraping your stand on the ground as you corner and that extra loosness in the bike when cornering at speed at some excitement . The extra ride through all the out lying suburbs of Milan was fun it certainly took us alot longer than it would on the motorway but it was really a nice days riding.

We got into town and found the hotel we had booked quite easily it was 5 oclock so I was suprised with the lack of traffic as it was peak hour. Checked in and relaxing blogging going to go for a walk somewhere in a little while so see what this joint has to offer, I have no idea whats here other than AC and Inter Milan football clubs. Ev just came out of the shower mmmm yum yum might have to havemy wicked way with her, oh wait on im hungry, so first things first, food.

Rideforsmiles arrives at the San Siro Milan Italy.

Local public transport in Milan looks a little dated

The main square in Milan

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 05:47 PM
Old 11-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #628
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Had a really nice nights sleep Ev went over the road to get some breakfast for us as this hotel doesent have any food so woke up to breakfast in bed which was nice, shes really is a good girl. we hung around jsut snuggled up in bed it was soooo nice and relaxing this hotel is pretty nice and we bioth enjoyed just hanging around. We decided to go out to the motrocycle show so jumoped on the bike after lunch and heade don over. Ecima was 15 k's away so not far the traffic was pretty bad so took us a little while to get out of town which is ok when it is so slow it gives you time to take it all in.

Ok we were in the poor side of town obviosuly and surprisingly and this might sound strange to some peiopel that have been in both cities but it felt like Cairo alot with the raised expressway through town and all the local roads running underneath. The only difference being the rubbish everywhere and the half finished buildings in Cairo.

We arrived at the motorcycle show it was quite impressive everything motorcycles you can imagine. Searched out the travel section there wasnt that much but met a few people that had some some great trips. Had a good chat to one guy Daniel a German film maker from Dresden who was making a movie about his motorcycle travels.

Plenty of trolley dollys to perve at but im not a real big fan on the italian girls so far but there was certainly a few worth a second glance you knwo when your with a chick you got to look in a general direction so they walk into your view so your not just staring at them and gettign caught by your chick ahahaha fuck that i was perving Ev can share em with me, Yeah yeah I know im a bad man

Anwyay had a really nice day we left the show at clsing time well it was supposed to be 6:30 but it was 7 before we got out the door which was cool. Rode home and went down the road to the local kebab shop for dinner was a nice meal for 5 euro each actually. Ev's been really easy to please with food too which has been handy one thing i leanrt about Ev was she has never had KFC go figure wheres shes been hiding under a rock she didnt even know what it was she thought KFC was pizza shit she has so much to learn and im the expert on fast food though I must admit im getting sick of eating salad rolls out of service stations.

What a really nice day spent with Ev relaxing morning snuggled up with my little princess in my arms and a interesting afternoon at the show just a really comfortable day,it could be the last full day I spend with Ev for some time or maybe forever who knows, im definalty going to miss her when she leaves thats for sure.

I told you the Italian girls dont do much for me they dont even have heads

Electic bike of the future

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 05:33 PM
Old 11-18-2012, 05:36 AM   #629
RobBD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
No pics of the snowy roads?? Glad you were both ok after the stack. Cheers
RobBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #630
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Great to meet you Daniel all the best with the film the tralier looks fantastic. Safe travels where ever they take you. I have a Russian friend I met in Africa he is doing Argentina to North America next year maybe you two will cross paths, hes on my facebook and he said he saw this pic in the Ted Simon Foundation page, stay safe and upright mate, talk soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-Explorers View Post
It was great meeting you at the EICMA Sheldon. I love what you're doing and I'm looking forward to catching up with you in South America some time. (Or whatever place else.) Have subscribed to your thread. Let's stay in touch.
Daniel (2-wheels 1-world 0-money)