Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 12:30 PM   #706
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 1,987
No hot girl yet Bavarian, but Suzanne who owns this joint is blonde and attractive, its just taking me a few extra days to break her and her boyfriend up so broke out the camping gear ha ha and got relaxed for a few days lol This apartment is right on the waterfront a few minutes walk fron the centre of town for 45 or so aussie bucks a night so really nice place to chill out while the weather is crappy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian View Post
Hi Sheldon,

holed up in some nice hotel with a hot girl??

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-17-2012 at 01:24 PM
rideforsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:48 PM   #707
LOZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideforsmiles View Post
I came across this amazing looking dirt track through the hills 30k's outisde of Split but I wasnt game to go off road untill I find some information on it as you can imagine. See im not a total nutjob then again maybe ive gone soft ahahaha

hi,we've been down to Croatia twice now as a group riding mostly dirt/gravel tracks and have found the areas at the side of the trails that still have landmines are very well signed
we rode about 2.5k loop in the more remote areas and only came across one trail high in the mountains that was clearly blocked due to minefield,we rode loads of tracks/trails with minefields on both sides

loz

LOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:47 AM   #708
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Hey cheers for that info Loz makes me feel safer if I do want to venture off the road, I was just a little apprehensive about going off road again cause the track I did go off the other day had a car that looked like it had been blown up glass everywhere but its good to know they are sign posted, well I hope they have a picture of a man being blown up or something and not just something written in Croatian. Thanks again for the info and thanks for following my blog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOZ View Post
hi,we've been down to Croatia twice now as a group riding mostly dirt/gravel tracks and have found the areas at the side of the trails that still have landmines are very well signed
we rode about 2.5k loop in the more remote areas and only came across one trail high in the mountains that was clearly blocked due to minefield,we rode loads of tracks/trails with minefields on both sides

loz
Old 12-20-2012, 01:00 AM   #709
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Split Croatia is really nice heres a few pictures of the ferry terminal if you are coming from Anconna and Italy or to some of the islands surrounding this part of the world

Split by night down by the waterfront nice bars nice women so all good fun

The main square of the old town in Split, the town is surround by and old castle which must of been so spectacular in its day and all the newer buildings are built into and inside of it gives you a real sense that you are walking through history

Talking about walking through history this is hows it been done for centuries so whats with the sign, the worlds a mans toilet honey

Some girls behaviour is just plain disgusting isnt it.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-20-2012 at 01:13 AM
Old 12-20-2012, 01:05 AM   #710
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Paying to have the bike cleaned is my bit to try and keep the economy moving forward over here in Croatia, not to mention I couldnt be stuffed doing it myself

Old 12-20-2012, 01:20 AM   #711
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Hooked up with Noah from RTW with Noah fame in here on Advrider, he's and an American dude who has been on the road for 8 monts and travelledd all around Europe and is heading in the same general direction as me over the next 6 to 9 months so im sure our paths will cross again. We will head down the coast together towards Greece for a few days before we go our seperate ways, im not sure exactly where im going but im in no hurry to get out of here I like this part of the world and its a cheap.

Heres Noah filling up in the servo, look I know its a KTM but sometimes you just have to put photos in your blog you dont like too

Old 12-21-2012, 11:41 AM   #712
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Time to hit the road and head south with Noah he has to get his bike serviced at the KTM dealer in Makarska only 50 k's south of Split so we will see how long that takes hopefully not to long.

Leaving Split

Nice views down the coast

Just had to stop and get a picture of this unfortunatly it was shut, it would of been nice to meet the owners and see the story behind it, obviously some connection to Australia as so many have around here

Just one of the many pretty little towns along the road south

This Croatian coast just keeps on amazing me its beautiful down here if your ever thinking of going for a ride definatly put Croatia and the E65 on your must do list cheap great roads and great scenary.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 01:15 PM
Old 12-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #713
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Noah had his bike serviced and luckily the Ivisca at the Ktm dealer had all the parts I needed to do mine as well so on she went and service time. Ivisca had spare brake pads and oil filters so picked up a few spares just in case im not somewhere where I can access them as easily, what an absolute bonus I wouldnt never of come across this place had it not been for Noah and I was starting to wonder where I would get my parts from down here in this neck of the woods

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 01:08 PM
Old 12-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #714
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

By the time we had both the bikes done and chatted to Ivisca it was gettign late and the wind the Bora Bora was bloing a gale so it was time to call it a day so we rode into town and found a nice hotel right on the waterfront for 30 euro a night. This town is amazing if your down this way do yourself a favour and drop in its one of the most beautiful towns cities ive ever seen, amazing. Heres just a few pics of the town so you can see what I mean.

Panoramic view taken by Noah

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 01:38 PM
Old 12-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #715
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Ok we got up the bikes have been serviced and now its time to head south to Dubrovnik or so we thought, it was the last day of the world and if that had happend what a day to go out on, bloody brilliant as some of these photos to come will show you.

Packed up ready to go and with the regulation chat to a nice Swiss guy over here on holidays said our goodbyes and hit the road

We were riding along the coast road and I was looking up in the hills and saw this road running up into the hills so I pulled up along side Noah and said lets go ride up there it looks cool. Without to much comvincing we turned around went back a few k's to the turn off and up up up and away we went. The views around here are breathtaking.

Whats the point of having a nice photo of scenary without my baby in it

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 02:35 PM
Old 12-21-2012, 02:32 PM   #716
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

While we are parked there admiring the view I looked up further and theres another road even further up and again lets go ride that and ok off we go. We were'nt making much headway into Dubrovnik and Noah is keen to get south and go snowboarding in Georgia but you just cant ride past these spots without having a look, well I guess you can and lot do but not this little black duck.

Why am I singing you take the high road and ill take the low road when be sing Mamma Mia here we go again lol Didnt see and landmine signs but that sought of looked the least of our worries.

Oh well there looks to a nice ride up here how hard can it be.

Onwards and upwards. Ummm actually forgot to look at the signs to see if there were landmines mmm next time

There's a few locals up here Noah getting the evil eye off one of them.

Getting to the top the view back down looked real inviting

The view looking up less so.

It doesnt get any better further on up the road, a Bmw Gs 800 weighing over 300 kilos fully kitted with road tyres on it isnt ideal for snow and ice riding let me tell you, but certainly makes for fun.

Ok now we are heading in the right direction.

All roads lead to somewhere, this one looks like fun.

What a great days riding but it wasnt over yet.

Came across this nice French couple and their 6 kids all staying in this van travelling all around Europe for the last 6 months, great stuff.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 02:48 PM
Old 12-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #717
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Ok back on the good stuff and heading south that was an amazing ride up into the hills but the scenary and riding didnt stop there

My baby stopping to enjoy the view.

Thought i'd join her and have a look myself.

Some nice lakes around here as well.

Some of the Croatian agricultural land.

Stopping for a break, the roads are fantastic around here.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 03:00 PM
Old 12-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #718
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Crossing one of the rivers but the sun is starting to set, lets see if we can get to Bosnia with no more stops to look at the views.

Ok one more stop to take this picture.

Sheeesh we will never get there at this rate theres just one great view after the other around here. Oh well this might be the last sunset anyway so might as well soak it in.

Geez go around a bend and theres a another magnificent site, how many more is there, this is getting boring NOT

We arrive in Bosnia and Hertzagovina, wow what a day, if this was to be the end of the world what a day to go out on.

Could smell a hotel and a relax but just couldnt ride past this last view of Neum in Bosnia and Hertzagovina where we were going to stop..

So much for the 21/12/2012 ill certainly never forget that day even if the world didnt end, great ride, good company with RTW with Noah fame who is a felllow solo world traveller, just simply amazing. Oh well life goes on, tomorrow will be just another boring day on the road I guess lol

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 03:21 PM
Old 12-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #719
bavarian
bavarian

Oddometer: 1,769
Awesome scenery and pics!! Enjoy your ride report every day. Croatia is now on my list for next year!
bavarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #720
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Sitting out the front of the hotel getting ready to leave having the regualtion chat to one of the people around, Sash who was off to catch a bus so he could get the ferry over to his home in Korcula one of the islands behind me. A little while were all organised and jumped on the bikes and hit the road. Noah is heading further south than me today and I was only going to go to Dubrovnik, he has to be in Greece for Christmas to meet up with someone he had organised on couchsurfing.com so we were to be parting ways at some point in the day.

There is a town not far south of the Bosnian border called Ston that has this medieval wall so as we got closer I decided I wasnt going to go past without seeing it. Pulled over and said my goodbyes to Noah im pretty sure out paths will cross again somewhere along the line we are basically heading in the same direction for the next 8 months but for now he's off to head towards Georgia to go snowboarding.

The town of Ston is only 5 k's off the highway so wasnt going to take me long to have a look but as im riding down the road a k or two there's Sash walking down the road who I had met a little earlier. I throw him a wave and keep going but decide to go back and see what he is up too he was supposed to be catching a bus.

Anyway turns out he missed the bus and the next one isnt till 4 pm this afternoon and comes from Dubrovnik if he walks down to Ston. I ask him where does the ferry run from and its 60 k's up on the islands so what the hell im not going anywhere in az hurry its only a 120k round trip to drop him there so he chucks on the spare helmet I give him my gloves cause ive got the heated grips and my inner gloves and off we go.

The ride was fantastic although I was taking it easy with him on the back he wasnt the best pillion ive ever had on the back moving around in the corners etc always makes it a little tricky, made me think of Ev she was fantastic on the back seriously you wouldnt know she was there and I remember on a few occassions thinking shit has she fallen off. Still miss my little girl a bit.

Get him to the ferry and theres one in about 30 minutes so that saved him about 6 hours of mucking around twiddling his thumbs in Ston. I asked him would he of hitched and he said no one would stop to pick you up around here, maybe thats a throw back to there prior troubles in this region who knows. Anyway as you can imagine he was a happy little camper to be there. apparently Korcula is very nice, I was tempted to go over and see it with him but had made my mind up to see this wall and get to Dubrovnik and there's hundreds of these little towns dotted around everywhere here in Croatia. I have heard since that the fortress at Korcula is very well preserved and as good Dubrovnik oh well another time.

Got stuck into the riding on the way back theres hardly any traffic so was having alot of fun and the 60 k ride back to Ston didnt take me all that long its a great ride. Im sure it gets busy out here in the summer time as its all island territory and wineries so im guessing there would be a police presence in the summer to catch all the piss heads driving.

Ok ill jsut upload some photos of Ston and Mali Ston so you can see the what it was all about it certainly is impressive stuff but hellls bells surely they couldnt of been that under attack to build such a structure, maybe it jsut gave the minions something to do instead of rebelling against their Kings who knows.

Sitting out the front of the hotel with the islands in the back ground, im sitting in Bosnia and Hertzagovina but the islands are all Croatian, I know how to spoil a good photo by chucking my ugly mug in there.

Sash the happy local was interesting talking to him he came from the area up in the north close to the border of Serbia that was really badly affected in the war, his family had sent him away to school as a 14 yo so he was spared alot of the carnage of the day. Its interesting to gets peoples insights of warfare its not something as an Australian we come across all that much. Here's a good link I found interesting on the sordid saga and how it all began when I was looking into it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjKEDKSwdwU

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-24-2012 at 09:21 AM