User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #76
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 1,925
Gansbaai and Mike Sharkman Rutzen crashing into my bike lol

Decided to leave Hermanus today and head over to Gansbaai, got up at a reasonable hour you know about 8:30 and cruised over for breakfeast around 9 only to walk into a packed restaurant so turned straight around and headed back to my room and started packing, im not sure if I decided yesterday or whenever but ive decided to go stay over where the shark diving tours leave from. Packed the bike then headed back over for breakfeast this time and had a good pig out, after breakfast I walked back to my room put my gear on and rode off. I didnt ride far, I thought i'd go for one last look at the waterfront and when I got there the boys from Hamaan Bmw were all parked in the car park and had ridden out from Cape Town. Hung around for awhile and chatted to a few of the boys, got invited for a ride with one of the guys who is doing a charity ride for breast cancer so will contact him when I get into Cape Town.

Got on my bike to go and as I left I bent over to pull my dacks down cause it was cool and uh oh the bike started heading over, its a beast when its fully loaded with all my gear and the extra fuel well over 300 kg's, once she starts going theres no stopping her. Thats the third time shes been on her side, look no big deal, all the crash bars are great so just lowered her down onto them then jumped off. A few of the boys came over and helped me pick the baby up, one of them shouted out just like your rugby players falling over all the time, we all had a laugh got the bike back up said thanks and off I went. Felt like a bloody dickhead dropping it in front of everyone like that but as they say if the shoe fits. When I left from Sydney airport the bike with only my riding gear strapped to the bike it was 277 kilograms so plus my all my other stuff its quite heavy, fully kitted, computers, cameras, fuel and everything it would be interesting to know how heavy it actually is.

Left Hermanus and rode the 30k's to Gansbaai and headed straight down the waterfront. Came across a guy on a 650 bmw so stopped and talked to Jaco a firey from down the coast. I suggested we head up and have a beer at the Saxon Lodge as I read that it had its own bar so off we went up the road. Got a really nice friendly welcome from Dave and Caron greeted with a beer is always a good start, we all just hung around in their beautiful garden overlooking the ocean drinking beer and having a chat. Jaco had to make tracks so swapped numbers so if hes around when i go past or if im not doing anything him and his mates go for regular rides so might hook up with them. Funny thing is ive got a month to go on my visa and the amount of people im meeting its going to take me a month to get the hour and a half to Cape Town.

Unpacked my bike and decided to go for the ride over to Klienbaai where the boats leave from for the great white diving and check it all out. Came across Mike "sharkman" Rutzon's setup so went on in and knocked on the door. Sat down and had a chat with the one of the guys from there. Met Mike and had a chat for awhile but he was busy, he's off to Mozambique the morning, he is in the process of trying to teach the locals about ways they can change their habit of killing sharks for the shark fin soup the Asian people love so much, it's big business up there in Mozambique apparently as the regulation's aren't as strictly enforced as you can imagine, was nice to meet him the guys a legend and a freak free diving and putting sharks in tonic state, the stuff he does is crazy. You got to check the video out if you havent seen it "Sharkman" amazing stuff.

He left and to go and I was still inside with chatting and Mike comes running back in saying something about the bike, I got up thinking he wanted it moved to only find that he's crashed into it Hey when I thought it would be nice to bump into him thats not what I had in mind.

Had a bit of a laugh about it grabbed a picture of us standing over the bike and picked her up, I said I hope the captain of your boat is a better driver than you or we will never get out to the sharks tomorrow, he just laughed and said yeah he started yesterday. All in all pretty funny and more damage to his car than to the bike fortunately.

The crash bars and everything do a great job of protecting it. So the bikes been on its side twice in one day great stuff and no damage other than a few tiny scratches, it all add character and at least Mike Rutzon will remember me, maybe thats how he free dives with great whites he just doesent see them.

Came back and had a nice chat to Caron and Dave really nice people with good positive energy so had a nice talk about alot of things and about what Im doing why and all that stuff. I tell you, the South African people are so nice im just having a ball. Caron cooked up some lasanga for dinner, bloody nice irt was too, I was a bit hungry and some pudding which was delicious as well, continued on with our chat, had a few beers and then came back to my bloody plush room to relax and blog.

Up in the morning to go diving with the great whites with the boys so that should be interesting, the weather is going to be sunny but theres a bit of wind around so hopefully that dies down and it will be perfect.
Anyway all in all had a good day even if my bike did hit the deck twice just continue to meet amazing people everywhere I go.

The road from Hermanus to Gansbaii runs right along under the mountains before veering out to the pennisula, fantastic views, this is actually looking back towards Hermanus

Good onya Mike no wonder you free dive with white pointers you dont see them do you ha ha
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-28-2013 at 06:33 PM
rideforsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:38 PM   #77
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Shark diving in Kliensbaai South Africa

Got up at the crack of dawn today I dont know much more of getting up at 8:30am I can take. Had a nice breakfeast with Dave and Caron then grabbed my gear and headed over to go cage diving with the great whites. Arrived early at Shark Diving Unlimited in Kleinsbaai it was only a 5 minute ride over there so all good. Parked my bike out of harms way or Mike and had a walk around the harbour. A few others started to turn up for the 10 oclock meeting time so had a chat to a few of them. Got talking to a couple of kiwi guys (i think it was Jake and Mike, sorry if i got it wrong guys), they were travelling from europe to the Zambezi River with their girls, sounded pretty awesome adventure actually.

We got talking about the Rugby its just so massive over here Jan reminded us how many times South Africa are on the Webb Ellis Cup, that's the world cup for you guys not in the know, I just said yeah yeah you just keep bringing up the past cause there so bad at the moment. Should be a great month in South Africa while thats on I might even extend my visa yet for it plus one of the guys I met the other day Basil wants me to join them on a breat cancer charity ride.

We headed down to the boat ramp a short 100 metres stroll and waited for a Spanish crew to get off and we jumped on the boat and headed out. Was actually pretty good conditions, a bit of swell but really quite good considering the wind that has been around, its actually quite a windy place down this part of the coast and understandably so from where it is in the world. We boarded the boat ad headed out to the reef, It took about 15 minutes to get out to the cage that they had left out there which is good there's, none of the mucking around waiting for the cage to be dropped overboard, its basically suit up and straight into it.

As soon as the boat slowed they had the chum going into the water tuna, oil and all manner of stuff to attract the sharks, apparently they leave crap on the`cage so the sharks keep interested in it so basically we hadnt been there for 1 minute and this monster great white cruises up past the boat. They start handing the wetsuits out and everyone starts wacking them on. The deal is the cage holds 6 people and it rotates after awhile so everyone gets a few goes in the cage. I was discussing with the guys whether it would be better in the first group or second group as we got changed but that lasted a few seconds and I was the first person overboard and into the cage.

The boys had explained you hang there and when they shout down right you duck down underwater into the cage and that where the sharks is coming from. It is a little awkward at first trying to work it out on the kneeling bar holding the camera and then dropping down but you soon get the hang of it. They loaded everyone else in and the sharks where coming and circling the boat there was obviously a few around. I was in the water for about 30 or 40 minutes and saw so many sharks right next to the cage, you could actually hear the people on the boat screaming Wow and just so exciting, one of the girls in the cage came up and was screaming her head off was quite funny, I was trying to be all cool like yeah ok but I must admit they really are amazing creatures, and simply huge and I was more than a little excited myself.

Got out and dried off and grabbed my camera to get some above water shots and was just amazing watching them from the boat as well. they had a bit of a lull which sort of sucked for them but still was a few around, we just seemed to be going down coming up and getting the call to go down again constantly. One chick had a panic attack and wanted to just get out of there so they hauled her out, im not actually sure what she was scared about but I guess maybe it had something to do with the 4 metre white pointer banging into the cage.

The next group went in for awhile then it was our turn again. I sussed out that first in gets the right side of the cage then the third gets the left side of the cage so I let this girl from Amsterdam go in second and happy days I had the left side of the cage this time. Now im not sure if it makes any differece but it certainly allows you to watch the sharks more as they swim off then being in the middle. So here we are back in the cage and straight away its down down down, we go under and to our right the shark came banging along the cage underwater you wouldnt of wanted your foot poking out fair dinkum absolute classic, it certainly was bashing into the cage. Got alot better video this time so worked out the supporting yourself deal and started the cam before I actually went underwater so it was running by the time I got down there and pointed it at the shark.

We were having a great time then the call came to hop on out for the next group and fortunatly 3 or 4 of them had had enough so me and the kiwis guys didn't move and stayed in for another stint. It was getting a bit quiet on the shark front so they called it a day and we climbed back on board, I was the last out, how doesn't that surprise me first in last out sounds like im at the pub again, what an amazing experience though. They loaded the cage on board and headed off to show us around Seal Island, we threw a seal decoy out to see if we could catch a great white breaching and attacking the decoy. I asked on of the boy's what's the chance's, he said pretty slim during the day but I kept my camera focussed intently on the decoy.

Cruised for about 15 or 20 minutes then bang out comes this whopping big shark, flying through the air, seriously f%^k me, amazing. I had the camera set to capture multiple frames and wow what amazing pictures I got. I didnt take time to check them cause I was watching the crew with the camera and as soon as they chucked the decoy out he said dont take your eye off it you blink you'll miss it so I just kept my camera on it hoping for another chance. I was so keen to see if I had captured it but fought that urge off and im glad I did cause, BANG another one flying through the air, absolutely amazing and then another WOW just incredible. This last one was huge and ripped the decoy straight off the 100 kilo line, they had it attached to so that was it they turned the boat around grabbed the seal decoy and called it a day.

Was the first time I had got a chance to see the pictures and wow fantastic I didnt miss it thats for sure everyone was going, oh I gave up and as soon as I put my camera down they breached. You hear all the stories of that great shot that someone gets and its just so much patience. The boys on the boat said you could try for weeks and months to get photos like I did and still miss them, it all happens so quickly, I was very fortunate indeed and it took me like 45 minutes, ahh to easy.

Got back into the harbour Jan was there and grabbed my camera off me and took a photo of me in front of the Barracuda so that was nice of him and its a good way to remember the boat that I had such an amazing time on. We all headed back up the road to the shop and there was a great feed there waiting for us, we all made ourselves at home and hooked in. Quite a few people wanted to get a copy of my photos and I was more than happy to oblige so gave my website and said id post them on in Facebook for everyone to steal, so everyone was happy.

Everyone was knicking off back to where ever they were staying, a bus load of them were heading back into Cape Town so I was there by myself still buzzing from the experience, bought Logan a crew T-shirt and a shark tooth necklace he wanted one when I went to Thailand, this one is the real deal certified fossilised shark tooth, ha ha in Africa that probably means Joe Blow down the road says its is so wack on another hundred rand.

Said my goodbyes to the kiwi boys, seemed like really nice guys, their girls didn't join them today, what a mistake, I guess its not for everyone, how I don't know. I jumped on the bike and rode the few k's back home. Got back to the Saxon Lodge its really very nice here Dave and Ro are such nice, I just keep meeting great people here in South Africa the angels are shining down on me thats for sure. Hung around I was really exhausted actually and I knew from when I was in the cage I was going to be sore, it was pretty hard on my neck and back and I actually at one stage thought I might have to get out on the third go but I thought harden up princess worry about that tomorrow.

We were just having a beer at the bar and Jan from the crew lobbed up so we had a drink and a chat about the day, Hes actually into computers and photography so got some good tips on just touching up the pics I took today the white balance was a touch out, so ill try those tips later.

Dave cooked a big BBQ they love their meat over here rump steak sausage and some other chop they had, salad. We all sat down for dinner and what a dinner I actually could'nt finish of my rump steak now thatll tell you how much food there was im the pig of all pigs when it comes to growling down tucker but even ol chunky buddy couldnt squeeze it all in. Went out to the garden to have a smoke and beer then Jan had to go as it was about 9pm. I said my goodbyes to him just in case I dont catch him again and good night to Dave and Caron and hit the sack.

Diving with white pointers wasnt on any bucket list I have as i've never had bucket list but if its on yours do it, it certainly was an amazing experience, anyway beddy byes im exhausted, what a day. actually im totally f*(ked lol

Some of the amazing beasts I was in the water with

When we got there the guy said ok whose going in first, so of course I was up and in there before anyone else had a chance to react, as soon as i got in this beast came up and as he shouted down down down to go look at it under water it came along and hammered the cage with a whopping big bite right ablove my head, this photo I took as it came up to the cage just before, friggin absolutely buzzing after that was incredible experience, bring on the big sharks baby lol

There a rideforsmiles fan if ive ever seen one, nice big cheesy grin on his face ha ha

Finished a great day off with a nice bbq
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-28-2013 at 06:36 PM
Old 08-30-2011, 02:23 PM   #78
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Shark diving

Some of the photos I was lucky enough to get on the day
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2011, 02:28 PM   #79
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Photos

And another
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2011, 02:30 PM   #80
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

And another

The cage for the shark diving.
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 12:48 PM
Old 08-30-2011, 02:33 PM   #81
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

A few more

A few more
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2011, 02:34 PM   #82
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

a couple more

Open wide big fella
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 12:47 PM
Old 08-30-2011, 02:36 PM   #83
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

last one for now

last one for now
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2011, 03:02 PM   #84
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Gansbaai

Was really sore from yesterday so just chilled out around the lodge which by the way is really nice 4 star apartments. Went for a short ride around the neighbouring suburbs just to have a look at whats here then had a wimpy burger for an early dinner, yeah like maccas but shit, ive found one decent burger in there its chicken and some rubbish on it, you get it down but then it keeps trying to jump back up, i wonder if its called the slippery toad burger. Anyway Dave has gone into Cape Town till Thursday i might be still here going to go for a cruise up the other way tomorrow and see whats up there, more beaches with bugger all around i suppose, but you never know. Its been nice to be here its more my style than a city but they do say Cape Town is nice, ill soon find out soon enough, I will head in there from here. Oh well tomorrow I hope my neck and back are feeling better i really am struggling at the moment, must need to get on the piss tonight.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 12:05 PM
Old 08-31-2011, 03:03 PM   #85
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Still nat the Saxon Lodge Gansbaai 200k ride to nowhere today

Got up and had breakfeast then came back to my room for a little while for a bit more of a rest dont want to anything to strenuous, jumped on the bike and went for a ride to nowhere. In the end did over 200k's around here on back tracks over to the beaches along the waterfront, every turn off, little beach and village to the east of here. Was really fun, some of the tracks I rode off on I was getting a little concerned that I was miles and miles from anywhere and I hadnt packed any water or food so if i had a melt down of any sort i had a gruelling walk ahead of me, something that I am usually better at being prepared for, it take so little time to throw a few things together to make sure you are ok in any situation.

The road to the east goes to nowhere, just stops at the beach in the end and there is absolutely noone around, was good so I gave the bike a bit of a flog and took it up to just on 190k's and still had some left in it but with the panniers on and the wind blowing really strong didnt want to wind it out anymore, I know pea heart lol Was nice to see that it can get up there not probably going to get to many oppurtunities to blast it especially as usually its got all my gear on it which makes those speeds slighty suss. Ive had it up to 160 fully kitted but not overly interested in pressing my luck just for the sake of seeing where a speedo needle can go to.

While I was driving saw this weird looking cat like creature, ill have to ask about it it looked sort of like a normal cat but the weirdest markings almost tiger like. I stopped and did a uturn to take a picture but it moved off into the bush as i came back, was a bummer it was such a cool looking beast.

Drove down to Stampford which is back towards Hermanus, when you come into it you think what the `f%^k is here then you turn into it and its a really nice little town. Lots of little art and antique places sort nice feel to it, if your a chick or 70 years old you will love it here so I just kept going to find some more dirt roads to ride, and find them I did.

Ended up going off towards Walker Bay Nature reserve I think it was but as i got to the gate i took a left and followed that track. It wound back and forwards up and over the hills heading towards the coasts over a few more hills then one more big one. I was videoing one handed as I came to the top and it went to deep soft sand and I was lucky not to put the bike down but being the champion rider I am I managed to shit myself and still stay upright

I had a look at the drop down on the other side it was fairly steep and all deep sand I had a choice to make and I was in the absolute middle of nowhere probably 10 k's to the nearest person so I hardened up and took it on knowing full well it was going to be a mission to get back up as going down was hard enough. As I got to the bottom I was thinking to myself what have I done, I used to race motorcross in the good old days and wasnt half bad but riding an 800cc motorbike with full panniers probably weighing 250 kilos is a tad harder to handle in deep sand then a 125 or 250 motorcross bike. I thought oh well ive done it now ill deal with it when I have to and kept riding towards the coast.

The track started to get really sandy and as I already had one place I knew would be tough i dogged it and turned around about a k or 2 from the coastline. Oh well all good rode back and heres that sandy steep hill, I stopped about 100 metres from it sussing out the best line of attack and decided on speed and up on the pegs leaning back was`the way to go and away I went. Got right to the top almost before I lost it and nearly went over but managed to keep the revs up so got stuck into it and bashed up the last little bit walking beside the bike.

Phew that was good always nice to get through something like that on your first attempt. Got off to have a look back at what i just rode in and was pretty chuffed with myself for getting through it actually, it was more relief be stuffed if I wanted to be stuck out here in the afternoon all by myself no water no food, I really need to pack something when im going for rides just in case as when i do these local rides i am looking to find the off the beaten track stuff.

Anyway got home had a chat to Caron im not sure what im doing i like it here but have to head off soon, im pretty sure ive only got three more weeks on my visa so better start making headway soon. Cape Town is only two hours away and the Namibian border is 657k's from Cape Town so i can get there pretty quick if i need to. everyone keeps telling me ill like Cape Town maybe I will maybe I wont time will tell, might get up in the morning and see how im feeling might ride in there tomorrow if not definately the next day, whatever day that is. I had planned to be there by last Friday so i will have spent a week around Hermanus and Gansbaai and the shark diving at Kliensbaai ill never forget i probably should do it again before i leave the area.

Feel a bit of a sore throat coming on where the hell did that come from its probably from sucking in to many bugs on my 200k ride today. Anyway night time over and out.
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 12:17 PM
Old 09-03-2011, 03:06 PM   #86
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Gansbaai to Cape Town

Decided to leave Gansbaai today, have done the shark diving, rode the 200k's around the area up and down the coast and today was a semi decent day with a cold front due tomorrow so thought id skidattle. Had a really nice relaxing time here with Dave, Caron, Jan and the crew from Shark Diving Unlimited were all really nice. I probably would of stayed a few more nights as I wasnt feeling all that good but it was pretty expensive to be just hanging around and doing sweet fa. Its actually been the most expensive place ive stayed at in South Africa other than the lodge on the outskirts of Kruger National Park where I didnt have to pay full price so even though I'm fortunate enough to not having to worry about money to much, paying 650 rand or 85 Aussie dollars a night in a small village is a bit to steep to be just relaxing killing time.

I did 200 k's everywhere around here yesterday and other than Stamford which is an interesting village and as pretty as it is around Gansbaai there really isnt that much other than the shark diving in this neck of the woods. If I had my time again and as much as Dave and Caron were great host i'd probaby be staying in Hermanus area and coming over to the shark diving from there as its only 30k's away there is alot more restaurants, nice beer gardens, whale watching from right up close on the coast and very scenic too.

Took awhile to pack up and ended up hitting the road around 11:30am, its only a few hours into Cape Town so just started riding thinking unless somewhere exceptional jumps out at me ill get into town.

Well the wind by this time was really strong so made riding down the coast a real pain in the ass, as I was riding along today I was thinking to myself, is it ever not blowing a gale down here. Every day this week other than the day I went diving with the sharks has been absolutely rippin wind and even that day was probably 15 knots, I was thinking to myself if this keeps up im out of this part of the country real quick as scenic as it is it really just makes for bad riding and crappy days.

We have our winds at home to but this is just a real shit and there would want to be some magic days to make up for the constant gale force winds you have to put up with this all the time.. Ok there not gale force but 30 odd knot winds is annoying constantly. Im pretty sure its windy alot of the time, ive talked to quite a few motorcyclists and all of them have told of stories of the wind blowing them nearly off the road along the coast here and im guessing all of them dont just tell stories of motorbike riding in August.

The ride was slow cause of the howling wind but still very scenic all the same. Wasnt go to stop anywhere along here so kept riding till I got into Cape Town. I was going to head down to Simons Town about 40 minutes south of Cape Town but it looked like it was pouring with rain that way so stayed on straight into Cape Town. Arrived in town at 2:30pm and rode straight into the cbd to have a look around. The weather was windy and starting to rain so I thought I better start looking for somewhere to stay. As it was pouring with rain to the south I thought id head to the north. I remembered the guys I bumped into from Hamaan Bmw were all from the north of the city so I put hamaan Bmw in the Gps and started heading out of town.

Rode up the N1 and could see a ridge line with houses along it and thought it looked like a nice place to suss out for accommodation as everywhere else around here seems to pretty flat other than the massive mountain range.

Rode in off the highway and as per usual 3rd time lucky on somewhere to stay and again its really really nice. 450 rand or just under 60 bucks a night beautiful views looking back over table mountain and close to a shopping centre down the road. Susan has been teaching in Taiwan for 15 years on and off and has recently come home and seems really nice.

Will use this as a base for a little while in Cape Town i have to suss out something with my visa if im going to stay and do this breast cancer charity ride next month.

The view from the Saxxon Lodge in Gansbaai
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-28-2013 at 06:40 PM
Old 09-03-2011, 03:07 PM   #87
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Cape Town Hamaan Bmw Tyger Valley

Got up for breakfeast around 9 was a really nice breakfeast Susan's mother made tuna fish cakes with salad, fruit salad and a bowl of corn flakes. Was actually the nicest breakfeast ive had since ive been here im so over the big heavey bacon, eggs, sausages, fish fingers and all that other food, it was actually really nice to be fed something very healthy. Hung around for awhile the weather was really still pretty shitty rainy and windy. By lunch time it was clearing up a little so thought id go for a ride over to Hamaan Bmw and meet the guys.

Had a bit of trouble finding it as they had moved from where it was on the Gps. Ask some guy where they had moved to and he gave me pretty bodgie instructions and in the end rode around for 30 minutes with no Bmw in sight. Was happy to just ride around it was all good just getting to know the area ends up being Tyger Valley im in well being a tiger supporter thats all good. Ended up asking another guy and he pointed me in the opposite direction so off i went,wsnt that far and I found it. Walked in and said gday only to be greeted you must be Sheldon the aussie Basil mentioned. Nice to made feel welcomed. The guys grabbed me a coffee and I had a chat to Raynair, shit I think I spelt it wrong more than right but ill fix it later buddy. He had just been in Oz for a month so was telling me about that, we also talked about a ride the guys had done a month or so ago which looked and sounded awesome, he showed me all the pics on TV in the shop and looks unreal, there was talk of doing it again with me or getting me the gps coordinates so I can do it.
Hung around for awhile apparently they have booked Killarney race track near here for Sunday afternoon so got an invite out to there which should be great fun and an awesome way to meet a few crew. Rode home taking my time sussing out the area some more and got home about 4:30, on the way picked up some hot food for dinner down the supermarket and just came home and pigged out and relaxed for the night.

My baby enjoying the view of Table Mountain here in Cape Town
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 12:51 PM
Old 09-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #88
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Table Mountain National Park

Another really nice breakfeast then just came back to my room and chilled out listening to the Tigers play the Sharks in the NRL. Tiges need to win to cement 4th spot for the finals next week so big game for the boys. I found a site that streams the match live from fox tv so watched the last few minutes on video. After the game I got organised and headed off to Tabe Mountain National Park for a look around. Got there and as usual it really pays to be on a bike, the parking is so easy so I got parking right at the front door of the cable car. Walked in paid the 180 rand for my ticket on the cable car and jumped on and off to the top.

Was cloudy when I arrived so the view was really limited so just had a bit of a walk around, got talking to a nice couple from East London on holidays in Cape town then heading up the west coast. He was a surfer and made boards so was good talking to him about surfing over here. Was thinking of pissing off but decided to hang around for a little while longer and im glad I did, the clouds cleared and the view was quite spectacular. Grabbed some lunch while I was up there so that was nice to relax enjoying the view eating lunch.

The one thing I did notice while I was up there was all the whinging and whining going on, oh its to cold, oh the clouds, oh the food in the restaruant wasn't good, thought of telling one whinging couple to shut the f$%k up but thought then all im doing is joining in on the whinging so I just walked to where there was no people and sat down to enjoy the view.

Decided to head down at around 4, needless to say there was a few people on the cable car whinging how crowded it was geez shut up. Got off walked the 10 metres to my bike hopped on an went for a ride along the road that runs along the base of Table Mountain. Unfortunately the road is closed due to landslips, would of been a nice ride by the look of it.
Headed

Rode down the mountain and then up the other range next to Table Mountain Signal Hill, there was some nice views back to Table Mountain from over there so grabbed a few more photos. Decided to go home as it was starting to get late so put in my Gps to avoid tollways and motorways so added about 15 k's and about 20 minutes onto the trip home but it was really nice to go through all the suburbs of Cape Town rather than just buzzing up the highway.

Stopped and got some petrol had a nice chat with a few of the boys in the service station then headed off to where im staying. Went past the shopping centre so thought id grab some chinese for dinner but since she wasnt around so i just grabbed some fried rice and honey chicken anyway, come on she was nice looking Must admit it was pretty f%^kin ordinary chinese too wont be going there again.

Got home and had a quick chat with Susan about her teaching in Taiwan and then headed up stairs to pig out on my chow. Been hanging out going through my pics etc im going to have to delete some off my pc soon its getting full otherwise go by myself a portable hard drive which im not that keen to do as its just more shit to carry.
Off to the race track tomorrow looking forward to that just to meet new people and catch up with some of the crew from the shop.

Cape Town from Table Mountain

Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 01:29 PM
Old 09-05-2011, 01:29 PM   #89
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Cape Town killarney race track

Got up at a reasonable hour around 9:30am had breakfeast and just hung around the house for awhile. Headed down to Killarney race track at about 12:30 it was only 10k's away so a short ride. Followed the Gps to where it said it was and it had me turning off the N1 into a settlement, I thought this is the Bmw training ground, just go into a settlement and get chased by the locals and either improve your riding skills or get robbed.

I turned off the highway at the next intersection cause I saw the local crew playing soccer, so went down just next to the settlement and watched the boys play. Lets just say they were fairly ordinary, none of those guys will be scouted but they all were having fun thats for sure. This is quite near the city of Cape Town, well on the outskirts of the city and the gear they had and the field they were playing on was ordinary so im guessing the fields and gear in Ethiopia will be much the same if not worse so they will be stoked to get all the gear we are bringing to them.

Got to the race track a little late but all good the crew was all there, Bazil was there as was Rynere so said my hello's to the boys and headed over to the race track. Rynere was riding soon and Bazil had to leave to go to another do so I was just there watching the bikes. Was really good to be standing right next to the race track and watching the Bm's flying past at 250 odd k's an hour. All types of bikes from the Bmw rr 1000 to chicks on Gs 650's
Got talking to a few of the local guys from the Bmw club looks like a really nice crew of people. I ended up hanging around for quite awhile standing in pit lane on the track wall watching the boys flying around. I left there around 4ish then and hit the road home stopping at maccas for dinner, 753 maccas in Africa, I think im down to 741 to go, I really have to stop eating wimpys and all the other crap if im going to put a real dent in that number.

Dropped into the local shops to grab some money to pay my bill here and got talking to the local car park security guys. Ended up having a chat with them for awhile, one of the boys had tried to extend his antenna by himself and I got talking to him about that cause he'd stuffed it up and as it was what I used to do I explained the most likely mistake he'd made. Usually when people do jobs like that themselves they leave a connection loose so I guessed that would be his problem, ill dop back down in the next few`days to see how he went. Jumped back on my bike and headed back home I like it around here its a really nice area and Susan and her mum seem really nice.

Anyway said I might leave tomorrow but ill decide whats going on then its due to be really nice riding weather for the next few days so will head`down to Cape Point and Simons Town and see if I can find Traceys yacht and stay on it for a night or two.

The boys gearing up ready for the time on the track.
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 01:35 PM
Old 09-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #90
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Cape Town in search of Canon

Slept into this morning, well sort of ive been waking up at 6 then going back to sleep. Had all good intentions of leaving today and lying there early I thought it would be ideal to get up and hit the road so what did I do, thought f$%k it rolled over and went back to sleep. Ive never been a morning person unless im walking out of an all night venue so it was slumber land for me for a few more hours.

Rolled out of the fart sack at a reasonable hour the sun was high enough in the sky not to cast to long a shadow. Spent a bit of time reading some adventure stories on Namibia and Malawi im looking forward to getting there but reading blogs is a great way to get information on where to go and what to see in some of the less touristy destinations.

Decided to go see if I could track down some more printing stuff for the portable printer I've got and headed over to the bigger shopping centre about 10 minutes away near Sable. Got an address off them for the Canon guys over in Montague Gardens so headed off for another 15 minutes ride to there. Ok where the f$%k is this joint theres business parks in there hundreds and im looking for central park business estate so im guessing its in the middle somewhere. Stopped to ask directions yeah righto you think you would learn they dont know where it is, i must admit if i was in a hurry it would be a bit of a pain but the more im cruising around the more im seeing of Cape Town.

While I was`riding down one of the roads I saw this chick walking down the road in a yellow tank top with the best rack so I immediatly turned the bike around and stopped to ask her directions. Everyone had been telling me about the gorgeous women in Cape Town but im sorry to say im not even sure she had a head but ohhhh mumma, I know i hear ya chicks "oh Sheldon" hey im only a mere male in the washup, ha ha.

Ended up finding Canon and they were no help and sent me on a merry chase to see another place right in the Cbd so off I go into town. It was a really nice day for a ride so was enjoying riding around lost. Ended up in obviously the wrong place and a seedy part of town but hey there was a Kfc so it wasnt all bad and partly civilized. Stopped and looked up google on my phone and realised there was another Long street about 25 minute away so thought id give that a go. Rode into town and around and around and yep this is the one, found some parking on the footpath and walked around the corner to Cameraland.

Walk in cool, got the paper and the battery for the printer which I was thinking of getting as the 12 volt charger doesent seem to have enough charge to do the printing off the bike battery. Waited around for awhile they had the battery but no printer paper or the cartridges which is what I needed though ive got about 150 sheets to use and ink for that. I ordered some paper and ink hopefully they will have them in for me but oh well ill work that out as I go, if they dont get it in time so be it theres lots of other big cities on my trip.

The battery for the printer cost 750 rand about a 100 bucks a bit expensive but it will be great to be able to give the more remote kids the photos I take other than just the city kids ive been giving them to at the moment. Got back on the bike and rode around heading in the general direction of home you can see it from the everywhere its the first ridge line outside of the city to the north so just kept heading that way.

Traffic was really heavy as it was peak hour but just enjoyed cruising along slowly enjoying the view of Table Mountain and the city. Got home and had a rest was pretty rooted actually been on the search for this stuff and getting home after 6 hours riding and searching, was a very interesting day seeing alot of the different suburbs of Cape Town along the way.

Had a chat to Susan for a little while and asked how come they are bed and breakfeasts and not bed and dinners. Talked about the Afrikaans lingo and how hard it is to understand some of it and their pronounciations of things.
Went up to my room and started packing my stuff up, tomorrow I will make a move to Cape Point and down to Simons Town. Pacjing away for awhile and there's a knock on my door, Susan had made a nice steak and vegies dinner for me, now that's a nice surprise. Pigged it down and took the plate back down to say thank you and then just cruised back and have just been relaxing now doing my blog for the day.

Watching some documentry on TV on September 11, shit its nearly 10 years ago, crazy stuff thats gone fast. When I see docos on this stuff it always reminds me of a comment the x President Bill Clinton said in a speech after it, that if the Americans spent 5% of the increase of the military budget after 9/11 they could feed everyone in Africa for 2 years, thats 5% of the increase not the actual budget, bloody silly the wars we fight arent they.

The view from my bedroom
Attached Images

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 01:45 PM