Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #901
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 1,678
Down to the subway here in Sofia, I know thats where all the zombies live, bloody Metro people, Ewa is one of them ill have to watch my back.

rideforsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #902
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Thought id dance with the devil and try something different, plus they do say its much healthier to eat this shit more so than Maccas, so its the new healthier me from now on. Now all I have to do is work out how many calories there are in 2 foot longs with everything on them a gigantic coke and a cookie.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #903
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Sofia Centrum

Old 03-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #904
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

One of the churches of Sofia Bulgaria

Old 03-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #905
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

and another

Old 03-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #906
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Decided to have one more day here in Sofia and catch up with Tinko for a little while but im definatly out of here on Tuedays and will ride down to Thessolniki or whatever its called I still dont know how to spell it lol Bratislav the Serbian border cop I stopped and had a beer with the other week put me onto one of the4 guys he had met from greec who is a member of the Gs forums down there and he will be in Thesso on wednesday night so will catch up with the local bmw guys and have a drink and dinner which will be nice.

Ive really enjoyed Sofia this whole part of the world is amaqzign the people are great and if you ever come through all this part of the world try and spend some time to get to know some of the local crew they are all excellent.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:26 PM   #907
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Hi trhe road this morning at a reasonable hour about 10ish and headed south. I wasnt exactly sure where I was going to get too but Thesso was the goal eventually, I had comtemplated stopping at one of the other Bulgarian towns along the way but there wasnt to much that caught my eye. Outside of Sofia the towns are definalty a little worse for wear and not all that enticing to make a out of the way stop. Ended up going up riding for most of the day took a few wrong turns and ended up in some little remote village with everyone waving at me pointing back the other way, I thought I was heading in the right direction so took me awhile but I realised i was heading in the wrong way eventually so turned around and went back, I took another wrong turn and the cops that had seen me down there stopped and pointed me in the right direction again. So all good ill get there eventually. The ride was great really, no problmes other than a few bad sections and arrived in Thessolinki near the airport at around 5:30. I hadnt booked anything but there was always going to be a hotel out near the airport and as its supposed to rain on Thursday when Ewa arrives the closer I am to it the better.

So im out of Bulgaria and into Greece so all good Ewa is getting clsoer and im looking forward to seeing her.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #908
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Got in contact with Teo from the gs forum that Bratislav the Serbian border had introduced me too online and he gave me the address for the bar where we were meeting tonight so went for a ride in and around Thessiloniki to have a look for it.

The town itself is just alot of apartments and small streets and with everyone involved in the protests coming down from the goverment buildings with the flags and crap made for slow going which was nice to have time to see it all.

Its not the prettiest town by any means but the road down the waterfront is nice enough look its just a port town its another one of these places your probably not going to come on your summer holiday to sit on the beach but apparently its a university town or so im told.

Went home for awhile and chilled out and then went back into town at 7 to meet up with the crew.

What a nice bunch of guys a few of them spoke good English and had travelled a little so its always nice to have a chat to other motorcycle enthusiasts. We had a few beers, all really nice im glad i met up with them all if only briefly.

We headed down to one of their favourite little cafe diners for dinner and had a bite to eat and a chat and then basically it was time to hit the road home. I followed one of the guys back out of town and said out goodbyes as he turned off it would be really nice to spend some more time gettign to know them but with Ewa turning up tomorrow ill have other things on my mind than hanging with the boys.

After Ev turns up tomorrow we are heading to Athens then to the Greek islands. Ive been back in the euro zone since i entered Bulgaria so my clock is ticking on the shengen zone 3 month visa till i have to get out and im not so keen to spend time here when there is so many more i want to see.

All in all a good day relaxing riding and meeting fantastic locals again
Old 03-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #909
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Got up and hung around again the airport is 5 minutes away and it is raining so I made the right call to stay out this way. Headed over to the airport after lunch only to find out Ewa's plane has been deleayed by a few hours, was it delayed or did I jusr come prematurily that is the question lol

I was going to go back to the hotel but oh stuff it its only a few hours and i have free internet here for my phone so decided to chill and watch the other planes come into town and do a bit of people watching, ok I was watching to many guys but it was ok anyway.

Ewa finally turned up and it was really nice to see her it seems like ages ago i was dropping her off at Milan and I guess it was, it was around 4 months ago so time flies when your having fun.

We headed back to the hotel and just hung out Ev has been crook for a few days before she left and wasnt feeling like going anywhere and i was more than happy to hang out with her.

Great the new adventure has started where it will take us together too is any ones guess but as long as its fun we will be together.

The boys rang up later and asked me to come in for a beer umm hello old greek bikie dudes or a little polish girl no contest fellas lol

Was walking around the carpark looking for idea on how to spend my first day with Ev mmmmmm maybe this gives me some ideas.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #910
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

We headed to Athens today no point in hanging around there isnt that much here to see so was on the road at a reasonbale hour.

Athens is almost 500 k's away so we just headed into Thessolniki for a qucik sqiz and see if we could find Ewa a motorcycle jacket. We were going to wait a little while to see if she was handling the travel ok but the safety gear is pretty much a given once she gets on the bike.

I had a quick look around yesterday at a few shops so just went back in and fortunalty the first one we went into had a nice jacket that Ewa liked so it was done and done. Got 20% off which was a bonus so a pretty good adventure style female jacket we picked up for 180 euro so all good shes somewhat protected if anythign was to happen.

Once wee got the jacket we hit the highway we were going to go ride towards Mount Olympus and have a look but as we got closer the weather wasnt looking all that good so we decided to stick on the main drag and just keep making tracks towards Athens.

The road was expressway all the way so when it sort of got back to an older road i took the opportunaity to turn off up into the hills to a road I had seen winding up the mountain side. Wasnt the best of choices as soon as we left the main road we came across a herd of goats which is always a sign your getting off the main drag. I saw a dirt road so off we went which deteriorated pretty quickly into a non accessible goat track so just turned around and headed back to the main drag. Was a nice little 20 minute break from the expressway though.

I was feeling pretty tired but kept pushing in 300 to go 200 to go 100 to go so homing in on the destination pretty quickly and when your doing 140 it goes pretty quick.

As we got closer to Athens I decided to put the ferry teminal in my gps to see where it would take us thinking there was only one port down this way that ran to the islands, ok got that wrong. We ended up in Rafina a nice coastal town and the ride through the hills, was brilliant winding roads up and down the valleys, it was really enjoyable the only down side was the road was a little wet from the showers so made speeding a little trechourous.

Arrived in Rafina and pulled up at the port and got takling to a few of the coppers and asked them where a hotel was they pointed one out up the road and then went over and asked the ticket agency if we could get to Santorini from here.

No wrong port oh that sucked the other port is 45 minutes away in the other side of Athens. So we decided to go up and stay the night in the hotel the coppers had showed us. I was pretty rooted after riding 500 k's and the hotel looked nice enough for 60 bucks so that was us booked in for the night.

Went for a quick walk around town it was pretty cold and we were both pretty tired Evs still feeling crook and im not feeling that flash myself so we decided to just go have dinner in a hotel it was pretty cheap 10 bucks for pasta and drinks so all good.

Tomorrow we will ride over to Athens and spend the day checking out the sites and then piss of to Santorini for a few days im looking forweard to that they do say it is nice there.

Mount Olympus on the way out of Thesso towards Athens

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 10:20 AM
Old 03-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #911
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Had a nice ride of to Athen and found a hotel only 30 bucks a night up the road from the ferry so all good on that front. Went up and had a walk around the Acropolis and a few of the other attractions here in Athens all pretty nice but im sort of over the old ruins a bit after seeing so many.

Ok you appreciate the history there but i still want to see one of these joints fully finished not restrored to some level, it reminded me of the Luxor sites, you know it weas a pile of dirt when they found it but they rebuilt it all to a certain level then jsut left it and claim it to be preserved ancient ruins. Ok they are predserved in a sense even though they were on the ground covered up by 20 metres of dirt when they found it but shit a brick mate if your going to half rebuild something why not rebuilt it to its former glory so we can really see what it was like nott just another pile of rocks.

The Acropolis had scaffolding all over it so they are at it again rehashing it again and certainly takes away from the site of it. It is still pretty impressive actually. We walked right around the base of it and stopped at a few points to look at the view over looking Athens its pretty nice up here they certainy had a good view overlooking the plebs down there in the good ol days.

We jumped back on the bike turned the gps off and headed for a ride to nowhere getting lost in town evetually I said to Ev ill turn the gps on in 20 minutes if im still lost. Riding around all the back alleys of Athens its not hard to loose your baerings of which way you are heading but its fun to be lost in a strange city.
It was gettign dark so we decided it was time to get some food so stopped at a supermarket to grab some grub and then I put the gps on to get us home.
There is a few over passes near where we are staying so it tiook a while erven when i got us home seeign our hotel from the other side of the expressway in the dark and cold you can imagine i let out a few expletives oh well its only a few jk's down the road to the next turn off and wiggled my way back up the side road so all good.

We got out tickets while we wer eout to santorini so thats all done the ferry leaves at 7 so an early start for me but then it will be relaxing for the rest of the day on the boat and with the weather being expected to be pretty nice it shoudl be a nice day cruising aroudn the greek islands.
we are having a great time together its so nice to have Ewa with me to share some of these things.

The theatre below the Acropolis, the guys in the background were doing that jumping around newage sport whatever it is called

The back laneways of Athens

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 10:40 AM
Old 03-31-2013, 10:30 AM   #912
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Leaving Athens behind and off to the Greek Islands

Old 03-31-2013, 10:33 AM   #913
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

The first view of Santorini it certainly different to the other islands that we pssed or stopped at on the way.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:42 AM   #914
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Spent a nice few days on Santorini ill let the pictures tell the story.

Time for a ride around Santorini

Over to the otherside of the island

The rock formations all over this island are quite amazing

There was some nice riding around too even if the roads werent that good a quality winding up into the hills

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 12:43 PM
Old 03-31-2013, 12:46 PM   #915
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Ancient Minoan ruins on Santorini whatever they are called Akorini or something