Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #991
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 1,849
Gibraltor international airport

went and watched some local soccer at the victoria stadium

The rock of Gibraltor in the background

We moved over to Algerciras to get the ferry last night so got a nice cheap hotel there which was nice, the lady Rosa was really nice and helpful withh all the paperwork and tempory import papers i needed for Morocco. Basically you print them fill them out online print them out and away you go. In the end when we arrived their were guys there with them in their hands and im sure it would be no problem to fill them out on the spot but it just took one peice of paper i needed to fill out. The paperwork was no problems at all at the Moroccan end so if your thinkign of coming down here its no problems at all.

This mornign beofre we left I decided to walk up and see about my third party insurance for Morocco and then I was going to come back and print out my temporary import papers on the hotels computer.

Well got up to the insurance office and no luck there ill have to get it over in Morocco, ok I thought that’s never to much drama in Africa there will be an office somewhere near the port. So got back and went up and had breakfast with Ev in the roof top of the hotel talking to the young guy who was staying there as well, while we were sitting there eating my chair broke and down I went like a bag of shit, ok fat boy time to get on a diet ahahah yeah right mate just give me a coke and a ciggie and shoosh up.

After picking myself I gobbled down the rest of my huge sandwich then we headed down stairs to pack and get the printing done so we could head off to Morocco. In the end we were all done by 12:30 aqnd off to the port to organize a ticket for the ferry.

Ticket all done 55 bucks for me Ev and the bike, sweet that was ok it was on one of the slower ferries which would take and hour or two but that’s ok we aren’t in any hurry. Went over to the ferry to wait and met a really nice Spanish guy I think he was one of the truck drivers anyway who we had a nice chat to in broken English.

Boarded the ferry and away we went to Morocco not knowing exactly what lay ahead of both of us. I had filled Ev’s head with stories of pack rape and theiving people everywhere so she was a little hesitant, why I have no idea but I assured her that if she got herself in trouble I wouldn’t be there to help her. She was saying all morning maybe we should stay another day in Spain ahahahah poor darling she really was worried got to love making her feel needy towards me she was really clingy all day it was so funny.

We eventually arrived in Morooco and were first off the ferry we talked to the local cop who was stamping everyones passports on the boat and when we got off he waved us away instead of having to wait with all the other tourists off the boat and on up to the border police.

Got up to the gate the import papers I had filled out worked a treat saved me filling out a form there but they had them so it wouldn’t of taken any time at all. He sent me up to have my police number they stamp into your passport checked out and then I came back and he asked if was carrying a pistol to which I just laughed and said no and then he handed my paperwork back and away up to the insurance office to buy some third party from the office just inside the last police check point. The guy in the office was really nice and helpful a nice welcome to Morocco taking a few minutes to sort all the paperwork out and then it was off and out of the port. The last police had probably seen us buying insurance right near the gate so waved us through and into Morocco we went.

We weren even sure where we were going left or right.

We got out of the port my gps isn’t working so no paper maps no gps nothing booked away we went ok lets go south Ev says ok sounds good to me lets go.

We rode up into the hills and the scenary was amazing it really is a beautiful sight to see. As we came to the top of the mountain range the cloud cover came in and it was getting a bit cool so we stopped and had a chat and we decided to head back down to the coast where it was warmer. We did a uturn and headed back to Tangier and rode along the coast road which was pretty crappy road but still very nice. There was actually some really nice surf pumping in which I stopped and checked out a few times.

We arrived in Tangiers and saw the Ibis hotel so as it was sort of getting late we decided to stay there the night and get our bearings. As we pulled in a group of other bikers from Portugal on Bmw’s were also arriving so that was nice we will get some good tips on if they know where to go while we are here I was saying to Ev there is usually on in the crew of four that does all the planning and route stuff and the others follow and this was the case in this crew.

We had a nice chat together inside the hotel foyer and then hooked up later and all went out to dinner to you guest it Maccas ahahah no no no you wouldn’t believe it its not the maccas your thinking its Mac areana with the golden M its such a classic. Ok they had burgers but pizza and pasta as well.

Had a great chat to the boys they were all from Portugal having a 15 day ride into the desert regions and down to Marrakech before going back home to Lisbon.

The gave us a map which was fantastic they have three so without even trying now we have a map and tips on the best places to go from experienced riders in Morocco, just great. Thanks guys.

Tangier or the part of town we are in is actually quite nice modern restaurants nice hotels obviously we are in the upper end of town as we walked past a car dealership with a Ferrari in the shop.
Had a nice dinner and chat and the headed back to the hotel to relax and try and do some internet surfing but the internet is pretty crappy so not much of that tonight so a good excuse to start back on my blogging.

Relaxing in a nice room Ev’s a lot more relaxed them she was 8 hours ago I probably shouldn’t shit stir her with horror stories im sure it will be amazing time here and so far the people we have met from lcals to the guys from Portugal have all made out first day here one to remember.

Bye Bye Gibralter

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 04-25-2013 at 03:28 PM
rideforsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #992
Cariboostrom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
Amazing!

Your video of the ride around Lake Garda in Northern Italy is WONDERFUL! I've been following your ride report for many months now, and always enjoy an update. It's getting better now that Ev has joined you.... Enjoy every moment and keep posting.
Cariboostrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #993
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Thanks mate its been a great ride so far, in Morocco at the moment and the internet has been somewhat crappy but getting a few pictures up tonight hopefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cariboostrom View Post
Your video of the ride around Lake Garda in Northern Italy is WONDERFUL! I've been following your ride report for many months now, and always enjoy an update. It's getting better now that Ev has joined you.... Enjoy every moment and keep posting.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #994
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Woke up after a nice nights sleep in the ibis hotel in Tangier and went down for breakfast and catch up with the lads from Portugal. They were out of here a little earlier than me and Ewa but we aren’t in any hurry.

We all got together for a photo shoot and one of the boys motioned to one of the parking dudes to come and take a picture of us all together and he walked straight past the camera and came and jumped in the shot we were al laughing so im sure it made for a good photo.

Off they went and I went back into to start our packing with Ev. The ride today to chefichin I don’t know look on a google map but it s only 125 k’s away so not a big day. It is the town we were told to get off the ferry and head straight for but had turned back yesterday but what a good decision that was and meeting the Portugese guys and the tips and map and all their help they gave us.

The ride was fairly uneventful the gps is has no maps on it so its back to the compass on it to make my way and its cool im used to doing that so as we headed out of Tangier we were supposed to be heading south east and when we took a turn that took us south west it didn’t take me long to go maybe ill go back down the other way and it was the right call 10 minutes later theres a sign to the place we are supposed to be going.

Stopped off a few times for a few photos but pretty much arrived into to town at around 1ish.
As we pulled up into the town we came across a Welsh guy who has just started his year long adventure through asia to Australia. Stopped and had a chat to Ben and he was a little undecided what to do whether to push in but we mentioned a camp site that Ewa had sussed out on the net and that we were going up the road to check it out and he decided to come up with us.

The camp site was ok pretty good so we all pitched the tents and jumped back on the bikes and went for a ride back into town. Had a bit of a ride round then parked the bikes got one of the local guys to watch them for us which in the end cost us about a euro each to watch for a few hours and headed off the blue city.

It really is a nice little city and we all enjoyed the walk, we picked up a tout along the way who was good for the local information and we slipped him a few bucks for the gesture you know someone to look after your bikes a tout for information and it cost us a few bucks.

While we we in there we met an really nice south African couple and had a chat with them in the street before bumping into them again and stopping and having a bite to eat and coffee with them. They were from Pretoria and up here for a few weeks and were off back to Casablanca in the morning and then off home.

We jumped on the bikes and headed back to the campsite and on the way there was a nice hotel up on the hill and I said to Ben lets just go look and have a drink in this hotel it looks like it has an amazing view and I had a feeling the Portugese guys might be in there as they seem to be doing their trip in a little bit of comfort. Sure enough there they were all lounging around the pool doing it tough lol

We went in and hung out with them for a few hours relaxing chatting and enjoying the fantastic views over the Rif mountains in Morocco. We all decided to head into town and grab some dinner . We went Back and Ev had a shower then headed pretty much back to the hotel and met up with the guys again then it was off down the hill into town. The town at night was a different story the lights in the all the little stores the colours were really pretty nice. We found a nice restaurant and all sat down to dinner in the end we had a meal a few cups of coffee and mint tea each drinks and it came to about 7 dollars each.

It was really nice to catch up with e boys from Portugal again they are a really good crew of guys . Bens been great company he will have an amzing journey ahead of him. Im sure it made it nice for him to meet up with someone on his first day in a new world its always easier to walk into strange places with people than it is by yourself when your new to the motorcycle adventure gig.

While we were at dinner we had this classic few guys come up playing the violin and a tambourine they were absolutel crap with googly eye glases on they looked like they may of smoked a little bit to much hash in their time, they were hysterical. So to make them feel better I grabed the tambourine and he then played out the flute so we had the three amigos palying a little bit of romantic crap to Ev ahahah to funny

Headed back to the camp site said our good byes to the Portugese guys and now just sitting in the restaurant area at 11 pm. Tomorrow us and Ben head south together the others are heading the same sort of way whether we see them again is anyones guess it’s the old story you can be five minutes in front or behind someone going the same way and never see them but when you do its always nice. Love Morocco so far, Evs feeling a lot more comfortable now after she realized what I was telling her wasn’t all fact she even went into a shop tonight to haggle for some earings so she is definalty taking a liking to the real morocco.

The Portugese guys that gave us the maps and tips on Morocco

Into the Rif Mountains Morocco

Ok time to pitch the tent for the first time for awhile with Ben standing on watching

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 01:56 PM
Old 04-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #995
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Just some of the scenary along the way to the Blue city.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:09 PM   #996
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 02:16 PM
Old 04-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #997
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Had a great time in che what ever it was called but time to make tracks south towards somewhere. Ben is heading that way so we rode together towards Fes. There was a rode up into the hills behind the campsite we were at which we had talked about riding yesterday so we headed up that for about 450 minutes but in the end it actually got to steep to go any further ok if we werenít fully loaded probably do it easy but with the bikes fully kitted and me having Ev on the back it was no go.

Still it was an amazing ride up into the Rif Mountains got some great video and shots ill post some of them to give you some idea of the mornings ride before we hit the highway.

One back in Che we headed south and turned off into the hills we werenít exactly sure where we were going bat as long as the compass was pointing south we were heading in the right direction. Was a fantastic ride winding up and down the Rif mountain range through small villages everyone waving its so nice tot be back in Africa. We were pretty much lost in the hills and ended up we were heading north west totally in the wrong direction but thought oh well there was a main road up ahead 40 odd kís we will hit that and make inroads to Fes.

Todays ride was amazing, I know I keep saying that but it was really nice up here in the Rif Mountains and the roads were ok as you can see by the pics.
Arrived in Fes the King was in town then again they may of just been inviting me into town but all the cops and army were out in force in all their regalia so it was nice to see.

Rode into town and saw the maccas sign so though we would go in there and get on the internet and book some accommodation, we had picked up a tout trying to flog us a hotel somewhere in town Iím sure they just sit on the outskirts of town and wait for prey. Pretty much told him we are ok which we were its all just a bit easy booking dot come must be doing them guys out of a job.

Found a nice hotel right in the Medina parking wifi 22 bucks a night so thatís us done and dusted.

My two babies looking over the Rif Mountains

Now tell me this riding doesn't look fun and rest assured it was. Rif Mountains Morocco.

And it went on and on and on, we ended up spending 8 hours riding today and all of it was fun but must admit I was pretty rooted by the end of the day.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 04:07 PM
Old 04-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #998
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

The lake on the way to Fes in the hills of the Rif Mountains

Ben on his Africa twin enjoying the view.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #999
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Had a really nice day in Fes walking around the Medina today went to all the standard stuff you have to see when you are in Morocco the Tannery the rug making shops and the arts and crafts etc was so interesting ill just upload some pictures and you can get a jist of how our excursion through the medina went .
It was actually a pretty warm day but very cool within the medina so was quite comfortable walking around. Ben got stung in one of the places for a turban paying about 150 dirhams which is about 15 bucks and in the need later that night when we went out for dinner we saw them for 20 bloody classic isnít it you walk into these joints they have the girl sitting behind the machine weaving away then she gets up gives you the sales pitch the only thing she probably leaves out that the garment was made in china ahahahah
We came back for a relax for awhile then heading back into the median for dinner walking through the streets heading up the hills it was quite nice to free walk around the city and we didnít get harassed at all maybe they spotted that I was a cheap ass and didnít waste their energy but was continually saying Salam and el Shokram hell and no thanks you but all very friendly it was a nice walk.
We sat done in a nice restaurant to have dinner whatís this no spag bol shit man what country do you come from, so ended up having a chicken sandwich was nice. Ewa had grilled chicken which she ripped into. Sheís like and animal when she eats I would hate to see her if there was a shortage of food she wouldnít hesitate to bite your hand off to get to it then again your hand might just get in the way of her mouth chomping away.
Walked back to the hotel following ben I saw the turn off and said I reckon thatís the way but ben was oh I know its this way so I though oh well its down hill so ill follow we have to hit the river that cuts the town in two if we keep going down hill.
It was getting late and the shops were all shutting so it was difficult to remind yourself which was which as they all looked the same now the doors were all shit but in the end we picked up a d smart little duded who knew the hotel and he led us through the maze of backstreets for a bucks each which was cool by me you can certainly get lost easily in this maze of little alleys if your not careful and although it felt relatively safe you just never know what lays around the next corner.
Back at the hotel and relaxed and chilling out another really nice day full of great experiences in Fes and all there is to see there. The people are really nice and not to pushy at all.

Arriving in Fes Morocco

Off for a walk around the Medina in Fes

Ewa making friends with the locals

Trying her hand at making rugs

Me and Ben cruising the streets of Fes Morocco

Local leatherworker plying his trade in the back streets of Fes Medina, they were all really welcoming and let us come in and hang around for awhile to check them out working

Old 04-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #1000
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Went to the local tannary and they gave us mint leaves to cover the smell which I had no problems with, they obvioulsy havent smelt my socks after a days riding mmmmm paradise.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #1001
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Looks like there will be plenty of places to watch the Champions League matches here in Morocco.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #1002
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

A trip to Morocco wouldnt be complete with the old rug sales pitch

Or the silk shop where Ben actually bough something then saw it later for 150 dirham which is about 15 euro only to see it later that night for 2 euro, probably not even made in Morocco but in China

Old 04-26-2013, 04:09 PM   #1003
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Got up reasonably early and decided to leave with Ben, I was contemplating having another day in Fes I was still somewhat tired we really haven’t stopped since we got here and when I go back into Europe I want to be fresh and ready to ride not exhausted as I plan to ride up to Scandinavia and as far as I can and I only have 45 days left on my shengan visa and when your talking between 8 and 10 000 k’s in 6 weeks it’s a long way so I need to be ready to haul ass not have a break, id like to think I could get to Nordkapp but we will see the Norwegian fiord coastline is the first stop.

We hit the road around 10ish and headed south to Ifrane its where the king lives and is quite modern all the roads are good the housing is nice and there is no sign of run down buildings anywhere.
We download maps for free or some program Ben had put us not and its great so Ev was doing the navigating so needless to say when we got to the first turn where we needed some advice we got lost ahahahah oh ok it wasn’t totally Ev’s fault it might help to tell her where the hell we are going.
We ended up in the cedar forest and with Ben being a tree surgeon he found it to his liking although it was pretty average roads in there and not to exciting for me. We stopped off at a nice little dam for breakfast and then headed back the way we cam in. The road forward only basically took us in a big loop and it was all that much chop to be worried about it.

We hit the highway again the road was great we were making good time and enjoying the ride. Me and Ev had talked about staying near the cedar forest but I was enjoying the ride some much we just kept going and going and going. Was fast hilly the landscape changed to a drier one and the roads were fun to ride.

Along the way we stopped at a little workshop and shop for a drink and for the first time since africa I took a few photos and grabbed the printer out to print of the photos for the kids. The the workers wanted one so why not they were all really nice and friendly. People are surprised when I tell them I carry a printer but how many times in your travels do you take a picture of a local and show them on your screen the walk away never to see them again its just so nice to be able to print it out on the spot for them and to see the kids generally skipping down the road like they have just one lotto showing everyone who cares to look is a great thrill for me too.

We arrived at this little campsite about 150 k’s from the desert that we had planned to get to. Ben has less time than me and Ev he only has two weeks so if we keep up with him for much longer we will be out of Morocco to early. The time I spend here is off my shenghan visa and every day we are down here it warms up that little bit more up in Norway and Sweden.

Another great day camping in remoter parts of Morocco is great and only cost us about 4 bucks each so nice for the budget.

Ben and Ewa making me my dinner gawd lov em lol no hurry up im bloody starvin

Just around one more corner to the campsite a great days riding

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 09:55 AM
Old 04-27-2013, 05:38 AM   #1004
RobBD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Thanks for the updates. What visa is running out?
RobBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:00 AM   #1005
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Hey Rob

When I get back to the Shenghan zone which is the EU countries I will have 40 odd days left on my visa, The shenghan zone is all the mainland europe countries and your allowed 90 days ever 180 period and as its not jsut continuous but comunalitive by coming out of the Euro zone I will still have that time when I get back to Europe and it will be warmer when we get up to Norway and Sweden

Ive had a few people saying just go in and extend it but I was way over what I was allowed last time and if they did any checking of where I actually was I could be in overstay trouble so im not going to risk it. A year in europe or in this part of the world anyway is long enough for now plus flying to New York in early July puts us on a good time frame for summer in Canada and Alaska which will be amazing as well.

With the internet being pretty crappy here got a moroc sim card and will be using that network again, it always seems to be better to use the 3G network in Africa and the sim cards only cost 2 bucks and 10 for 400 megs a day download for the month so should be able to get up to date and stay in date from now on.

By the way Morocco is absolutely amazing and although I know ive said this before, alright ive probably said that about everywhere ive been to, but Morocco is quickly running up the ranks of my favourite countries ive been too.

I know mumsy's out there somewhere waiting for another update too so here it is.

Cheers mate

Sheldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBD View Post
Thanks for the updates. What visa is running out?

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 08:07 AM